General > General Technical Chat

How is Chipageddon affecting you?

<< < (318/400) > >>

cortex_m0:

--- Quote from: rsjsouza on September 26, 2022, 11:03:57 am ---It might well be regulations for automakers, but on the other hand even common household appliances seem to have an extremely long leadtime, at least around where I live in the US.

--- End quote ---

Weird, I've not really encountered that. I bought a dishwasher in January, the store offered me delivery as soon as 3 days. Looking at today's online inventory of the store where I bought it (Lowes), they have a couple dozen dishwashers stocked at the store, and many hundreds at their warehouses for delivery in 3 to 7 days.

Washing machiines are similar: About 60 store stock, with more available in a few days. A few models show estimated delivery dates in mid-December, so ~7 weeks.

--- Quote from: Ed.Kloonk on September 26, 2022, 06:57:10 am ---They never specify what parts are missing.

--- End quote ---

It sounds like it changes pretty frequently. I heard one of the production slowdowns at Ford this spring was because a part of the windshield wipers were unavailble - wasn't clear if the problem was an electrical module to drive the wipers, or a mechanical piece of the wiper assembly. That was just after the Canadian trucker protest, so it could have just been delayed supply from Ontario.

chickenHeadKnob:
apologies if this has already been posted:

Chip Shortage 'Will Last Until Next Year'

Head of Renesas predicts shortage to last to mid 2023.
quote -The problem is not a shortage of key semiconductors, but a lack of minor chips used in peripherals," said Renesas CEO Hidetoshi Shibata (50) in Tokyo on Sep. 13. He said people might be surprised the "minor" chips even exist and it will "take time" for the shortage to ease.

I think people of the EEVblog forum know these minor chips exist.
Mostly content free article here. https://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2022/09/23/2022092301225.html

Hydrawerk:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/newest-pace-ads200-production-station-(a-jbc-killer-at-$239)/msg4432894/#msg4432894

VK3DRB:
Now that there is a very high change the world is entering a major global recession, maybe chips will become available to SME's as orders in the likes of TI are are cancelled by the big manufacturers. On the other hand maybe chip manufacturers like TI will cut back production because their forecasting is so hopeless. Maybe chips will free up temporarily until demands outstrips supply again. The next six months will be interesting. A big recession can good in some ways.

PlainName:
Aren't recessions useful when they are local (to a country or currency)? Supplied goods and services appear cheaper because the currency falls against everyone else, so balance of trade trends towards lots of export, hence income. But with a global recession everyone is in the same boat (apart from the US, apparently) so no-one can afford your now cheaper goods.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version