Author Topic: How is Chipageddon affecting you?  (Read 267655 times)

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
Re: How is Chipageddon affecting you?
« Reply #375 on: November 25, 2021, 09:34:56 pm »

Some people believe the same thing happens when they shop for airline tickets, i.e. the prices go up when "they" know you are searching for that particular journey...   Could do with some scientific testing/debunking too!

But there IS dynamic pricing in air fares ! Maybe not in the simplistic way the conspiracy prone think. Airlines try to maximize load factor times ticket price right up to departure. A consumer visible method is with stand-by tickets but it goes way beyond that. In Canada there are 2 majors serving domestic travel; Air Canada and West Jet with West Jet being the Southwest Airlines model type of operation. Some years back there was a court case against a West Jet Manager who had obtained login credentials for the Air Canada reservations system and was skimming their system to optimize West Jet per ticket pricing dynamically on various competing routes.

In this thread we've recently been talking about prices going up or things ostensibly going out of stock merely in response to an individual searching for or adding an item to their cart. That's a much more specific and wild accusation than plain old dynamic pricing (which is response to public information like actual sales/seat availability/predicitions of the same based on previous years) or free market supply/demand matching, which I don't think I or SilverSolder or really anyone else here is claiming to deny happening in the real world.

The following users thanked this post: harerod

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #376 on: November 26, 2021, 11:10:19 pm »
Hey, be glad it isn't "gate array-gate" or some stupid scandal like that.

Tim

To be fair, I don't think our non-US friends here would understand what is meant by the "-gate" suffix. Nor do I think any Americans under, oh, age 40 would, either.

"I'm gonna set it straight, this Watergate ..."

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #377 on: November 27, 2021, 03:09:19 am »
DigiKey emailed today to tell me that about 1500 (qty) ATSAMD21G18A controllers were back in stock (they had been on a "52 week" availability).  I placed an order for fifty and got it confirmed.  A few hours later they now show over 3000 in stock.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

The following users thanked this post: rs20

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #378 on: November 27, 2021, 05:51:45 am »

Tim

To be fair, I don't think our non-US friends here would understand what is meant by the "-gate" suffix. Nor do I think any Americans under, oh, age 40 would, either.

iPhone antennagate and bendgate happened fairly recently and  give a sense of negativity thag the "-gate" suffix was bearing, though not many people would know the origin of it, true.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #379 on: November 27, 2021, 09:33:02 am »

Tim

Hey, some people's crystal ball just ain't so crystal clear.

But hey, it's an opportunity to teach one of the Ten Thousand about a [notorious] bit of our history.  (Especially relevant as it seems to have repeated in front of our eyes, the last couple of years...)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #380 on: November 27, 2021, 12:49:34 pm »
Well, on Nov 24th I put US$3.5k in parts on my cart at Mouser. As of today, none has vanished.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #381 on: December 01, 2021, 08:27:23 pm »
I work full time and on the side, I do home renos and build protos of little electronics I might try to sell some day.  Shelved the latest proto for a year while I focused on home renos and just went back to it last night.  First I spent an evening improving the FW then I decided to check the stock of the MCU, ATMEGA328P.  Ugh, I should have been a carpenter.

While I was it, I checked stock of the RPi compute module for a work project.  I really should have been a carpenter.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #382 on: December 01, 2021, 09:15:53 pm »
  First I spent an evening improving the FW then I decided to check the stock of the MCU, ATMEGA328P.  Ugh, I should have been a carpenter.
Just shrink your code down a bit - plenty of ATMega168's out there!
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: Kasper

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #383 on: December 01, 2021, 09:18:54 pm »
  First I spent an evening improving the FW then I decided to check the stock of the MCU, ATMEGA328P.  Ugh, I should have been a carpenter.
Just shrink your code down a bit - plenty of ATMega168's out there!

Thanks for the recommendation but I'm actually going the other direction if anything.  Could use more MHz.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #384 on: December 02, 2021, 01:22:16 am »
"Gate's"-a-geddon a bit tedious...

Offline glentek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #385 on: December 02, 2021, 02:08:00 am »
If the Watergate scandal happened tomorrow it would be call Watergate-gate.

The following users thanked this post: Alti

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #386 on: December 02, 2021, 02:59:45 am »
Really small 1.8V drive p-fets (like SOT-723) are getting super hard to get.

Not sure if its just high demand and low supply or if maybe SOT-723 is not very popular any more, and all the fabs are focusing on other packages.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 03:01:35 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #387 on: December 02, 2021, 01:58:10 pm »
I really should have been a carpenter.

Wouldn't help much. Construction wood became rather expensive over here, sometimes hard to get, because a lot is exported for a higher profit. The same for other construction material. In need of a new central heating system? No chips, no control unit, no furnace. People living in the region which was flooded this year have huge problems getting a new central heating, despite being the top priority on manufacturer's delivery lists.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 11:50:46 am by madires »

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #388 on: December 02, 2021, 05:59:22 pm »

At least here, everyone understands that kind of -gate, it's used extensively, even by older people who can't communicate in English at all. And it's going to be deliberately mispronounced.

It's not surprising; importing English words in non-English language means these words can be dedicated for their originally secondary meanings, because the primary meanings are not needed as those are offered by our national language already. Like using "boksi", "box", to describe certain small add-on electronic devices such as set-top boxes; this makes the language richer. Similarly, we add "-gate" to many Finnish words to describe whatever scandal of the day. The smaller the scandal, the better.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #389 on: December 02, 2021, 07:10:58 pm »
My experience, while visiting many countries in every hemisphere (north/south, east/west), is pretty much every English speaking culture understands the suffix "-gate" when used in a socio-political context as long as the person is a teenager or older. This particular term has truly gone global and ageless.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #390 on: December 03, 2021, 05:59:01 am »
I really should have been a carpenter.

Wouldn't help much. Construction wood became rather expensive over here, sometimes hard to get, because a lot is exported for a higher profit. The same for other construction material. In need of a new central heating system? No chips, no control unit, no furnace. People living the region which was flooded this year have huge problems getting a new central heating, despite being the top priority on manufacturer's delivery lists.

In BC, Canada 2x4's trippled in price for a while but they're almost back to pre-covid prices now.

As long as house prices keep inflating more than construction costs, it'll be fine.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #391 on: December 03, 2021, 07:20:54 pm »
[...]
As long as house prices keep inflating more than construction costs, it'll be fine.

Except that if wages don't keep up, there will be a squeeze on !housing products...

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #392 on: December 04, 2021, 12:06:43 am »
[...]

Except that if wages don't keep up, there will be a squeeze on !housing products...

Do wages ever keep up with inflation?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #393 on: December 04, 2021, 02:33:16 am »
[...]

They must beat inflation in the long run, or our standard of living would be going backwards since the dawn of time...

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline keef46

• Contributor
« Reply #394 on: December 07, 2021, 06:23:45 pm »
I recently used Rebound Electronics in the UK to source some STM32 MCU's.... but paid 10 x the normal price. Still we have enough for a year now - what we do after that is in the lap of the god's.

One thing I learnt from a different supplier - don't go back and ask for a quote for a higher qty - they just put the price up more per chip!

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #395 on: December 08, 2021, 08:53:15 am »
[...]

They must beat inflation in the long run, or our standard of living would be going backwards since the dawn of time...
It's not since the dawn of time, just the 60s. Wages and purchasing power has been in a decline since then. At least in the USA, I don't know how EU28 would compare to that. Probably still huge differences between countries.

Offline VK3DRBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #396 on: December 08, 2021, 12:43:23 pm »
I just ordered PCBWay to build a small qty of some engineering boards for me. They are charging 5 X the Digikey price for ESP32-C3's, even though LCSC has them at 3 X the price. None available in the West of course.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #397 on: December 08, 2021, 04:08:01 pm »
[...]

It's not since the dawn of time, just the 60s. Wages and purchasing power has been in a decline since then. At least in the USA, I don't know how EU28 would compare to that. Probably still huge differences between countries.

I think we go through periods of deflation driven by innovation but I think lately we are in the runaway phase of capitalism where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Back in the day, if someone bought all the supplies and then tried selling them for 10x more, I think they'd get lynched. Now they get bonuses.

3D printing of homes could cause some deflation. I don't think the space race will. 

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #398 on: December 08, 2021, 05:30:11 pm »
[...]
3D printing of homes could cause some deflation. I don't think the space race will.

A lot of a home's price is the price of the land it sits on...   3D print that! :D

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #399 on: December 08, 2021, 05:40:11 pm »
[...]

A lot of a home's price is the price of the land it sits on...   3D print that! :D

And that price is based on where that piece of land is located!

(Also we can "3D print" the walls, but the rest of the details that make a house cannot be manufactured like that. You know: plumbing, cabinets, doors, wiring, flooring, windows, all the little things.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf