Author Topic: How to coil cables  (Read 9252 times)

Offline zaptaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
How to coil cables
« on: November 17, 2013, 05:51:21 pm »
Dealing with cables?

Thought that you know how to coil them? 

Check this

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
Re: How to coil cables
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 06:07:07 pm »
That is excellent! A perfect example of a subtle detail making a huge difference. :clap:

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 06:14:33 pm »
+1 like  :-+

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 06:31:37 pm »
Will practice that a lot now.

Offline Six_Shooter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 06:32:39 pm »

Offline Kryoclasm

• Regular Contributor
  • KL3DL
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 07:02:19 pm »
 :-+
“I predict that very shortly the old-fashioned incandescent lamp, having a filament heated to brightness by the passage of electric current through it, will entirely disappear.” -Nikola Tesla

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 08:15:51 pm »
That is a rather interesting method of wrapping cables, I will need t o try it. I have always twisted the cable slightly as  I have wrapped it.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 08:47:52 pm »
"Under and over" wrapping is very quick and easy once you get the hang of it.  Just make sure you don't pull the end through the coil when unwrapping as you'll end up with a hell of a mess.   ;D

Online John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 08:52:06 pm »
This is something I try to teach my customers when it comes up.  They're usually like, "So What?" until I wrap a couple of 20' cables and show them I can take mine and stretch it across a stage and it's flat, but doing it their way I have to go and untwist the entire thing.  THEN the light bulb comes on and they get it.  Also, sound guys like being able to take a coil of cable and toss it across a stage for 50' and it lays flat...and I like being able to do that with an extension cord.  :)

Offline defarijf

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 08:57:41 pm »
I will have to try it next time I coil an extension cord.

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 10:51:23 pm »
I remember being shown this many years ago when coiling some Ethernet coax (by a former recording engineer, as it happens!)  Didn't manage to quite get the hang of it then, but I remember the suggestion every time I'm faced with a cable that isn't behaving properly.  Must find one and practice properly sometime...

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 11:00:11 pm »
The mechanics of it can seem odd when you're learning under and over wrapping, but once you have the muscle memory it requires no effort at all.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 11:24:04 pm »
I remember in school the shop teacher showing us the "correct" way to wrap cords for power tools to reduce the stress on the cable and plug. It wasn't this technique but I think there was definitely a component of doing something and then doing the opposite. He said just doing a circular wrap can either cause the wires to overtwist inside the cable or untwist.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 11:50:20 pm »
My neighbor Old Fred taught me when I was 5 or 6. He was a retired merchant marine and had some awesome stories. I wonder if it's a nautical thing? 

Online John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 12:11:39 am »
It happens anytime you coil something up, rope included.  Think about this for a minute.  Forget about rolling up a rope.  What if you wanted to make a helical coil out of some flat ribbon.  You might take the ribbon and start wrapping it up a dowel.  Then you remove the dowel and you're left with a spiral of the ribbon.  Now grab the ends of the ribbon and pull.  The spiral gets tighter and tighter but it never gets straight because, and you end up with all these tight twists in the ribbon.  Every time around you're also introducing a twist.

So rope...wire....aluminum foil....a roll of toilet paper....doesn't matter.  Anytime you roll something up flat, you're also twisting one end in relation to the other end.  So you have to introduce an anti-twist for every twist you put in.

It's tough to see why if you're just thinking of rope, but if you think of it as if you're making a helix (which you basically are) it's a lot easier to envision what's going on.

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 12:18:21 am »
Learned this a long time ago.  Even more important for air hose, for example.

This is also why it is so important to unroll wire you buy on a spool (or in a coil) rather than pulling it off the end.

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 12:32:53 am »
Well, I for one didn't have an experienced cable expert looking over my shoulder, teaching me things. This is brilliant, love it! I'll try it first with my earphones that I untangle and untwist every morning...

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 07:54:40 am »
I learned the over-under technique from my dad when I was maybe 8 or 9 years old back in the 70's :) .  It's really fast and easy to do.

He worked in radio, I was always helping him setup or tear down at a remote site and wrapping dozens upon dozens of cables with him.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 08:54:29 am »
It happens anytime you coil something up, rope included.  Think about this for a minute.  Forget about rolling up a rope.  What if you wanted to make a helical coil out of some flat ribbon.  You might take the ribbon and start wrapping it up a dowel.  Then you remove the dowel and you're left with a spiral of the ribbon.  Now grab the ends of the ribbon and pull.  The spiral gets tighter and tighter but it never gets straight because, and you end up with all these tight twists in the ribbon.  Every time around you're also introducing a twist.
That also explains why a lot of headphones now have flat cables... to discourage people from just twisting them when they coil them up. And some people still manage to get those ones all twisted into spirals...

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 09:13:02 am »
Try doing that on heavy cable like say 50  meters of 500 welding cable. 

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 11:09:11 am »
Try doing that on heavy cable like say 50  meters of 500 welding cable. 
You can do the same thing with the coil flat on the ground.  Or on a pallet (you might need the fork lift truck to move a 50 meter coil of big welding cable).  My welding cables aren't that long, and my biggest welder at the moment is a Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC (mine's older than the one in the pic, and I paid $100 for it), so I'm not sure how heavy that much cable would be.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:11:16 am by dfmischler »

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 10:23:34 am »
All these years i have been wrapping my cables wrong.  :o
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 12:45:21 pm »
 :-+ thanks for sharing!

Offline woox2k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 02:35:44 pm »
Very, very useful information, thank you!
So far, like most of the people, i have done it wrong and thought there has to be a better way  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf