Author Topic: How to go about hiring a number 2  (Read 2624 times)

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: How to go about hiring a number 2
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2022, 08:22:51 am »
One thing I'd be wary of who the recruiter is prolly more important that your ideal candidate.

I mean, often in the field when you don't need customer facing, someone on the spectrum can fill the shoes nicely. However, the recruitment firms tend to hire young women who (sorry, not sorry) tend to misinterpret spectrum for rudeness and disregard the candidate. Seen it happen.

To be fair though, it think the awareness has increased and is perhaps less likely to happen.

I know what you mean a bit. I'd say I am on the spectrum. But the (male) recruiter we use who I only met yesterday is good and will read the CV and think about it. I wrote my CV aimed at one sort only. I had had a few silly offers and seen plenty of job adds that turned me off bothering, so I said "f you" to the world, wrote a CV the way I wanted a little tongue in cheek (I thought) that would be understood only by the right sort of person that i wanted to work for.

Well bingo, here I am, the recruiter was impressed and so was my boss. I was somewhat surprised to find that my running my own company on the side was seen as a positive rather than a negative like at my last job but I was also in the game of choosing the right person and did not want time wasters either. Things fell into place and the right type gave me a call and actually told me about how various things on my CV made me a match and why. This guy was not a tick box guy.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2022, 09:12:17 am »
Are you married? And she wants to be No 2?
You may have to change your attitude to find somebody who makes a difference. Nowadays we try to build a team. The person should be similar to you and you won't stay No 1 because you arrived first.

Regards, Dieter

I don't know how things will be structured in detail and when the recruiter talked to me about a second person I said I was nervous of being put in charge of other people. I want to work with people that work with me, not for me. By number 2 I mean second electrical engineer in what is a mechanical company that only 7 months ago got its first electrical engineer. That is why I am interested in someone with slightly different skills to me as well as the same basic skills so that we can be flexible as a team. It's quite laid back here, there isn't the sort of nasty culture you get in many places like my last job. We are a team of 4 if you include our boss who does some design as well and the new guy that is joining as lead mechanical.

EDIT: sorry five of us, I keep forgetting the one that never speaks that I can't see from my desk - yea we can practically have a team conversation without having to sit in a meeting room.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:41:05 pm by Simon »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
iratus parum formica

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2022, 12:45:57 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf