General > General Technical Chat

How-to make decent photographs for forum posts/articles/publications?

<< < (10/11) > >>

DrG:

--- Quote from: klimm on February 16, 2020, 09:57:45 am ---Hi all,

All right,  I have the photos of an old  PCB. No silk screen but  having  identified main blocks and components and would like to tag  components, blocks  onto the photo for future  reference.  What graphic app do you use for labeling components, blocks, drawing lines,  arrows or having text boxes

--- End quote ---

Photoshop is good.

For quick and easy, believe it or not, I like to use PowerPoint (see below).

[attachimg=1]

DrG:
A tip that I have picked up is to use one of these (the battery is for size comparison):

[attachimg=2]

to check that my camera is level on the copy stand.

[attachimg=1]

It is a little thing, but sometimes I am surprised at how off it can be when I just use me eyeball.

DrG:

+

=

...and while we're at it, let's turn up the f-stop so that the high points are in focus.

Ultrapurple:
Bump...

I work for an electronics hobby magazine publisher and we ask for
- photos at highest resolution (straight off the camera as raw or .JPG), not edited in any way and NOT embedded (eg in a Word document ... ugh!)
- leave a w-i-d-e margin around your subject (maybe 20% of image width on each side) so the publisher has flexibility in cropping to suit the page
- don't get too close to your subject or you'll introduce all kinds of perspective weirdness
- remember to have as plain a background as possible (a sheet of paper works wonders; for larger items, use a plain shirt or a bed sheet)
- screendumps as PNG, TIFF (or any full colour range losslessly compressed format), but NEVER EVER SAVE SCREENDUMPS AS JPG no matter what the compression settings are
- If sending graphs etc from Excel or similar, always include the original spreadsheet
- Ditto if you've done any line drawings, in whatever package you used to create them

Professional publishers are usually pretty good at manipulating images to make them support the text but - particularly in the case of photos - that's usually only possible if you give them enough pixels to play with

We need the originals of graphs and drawings etc because often the line weight isn't appropriate for dead tree publishing - one pixel wide looks great on the screen and maybe even on your inkjet printout but it doesn't work well on a glossy printed page, particularly (as is often the case) if we're reproducing the image fairly small: a line one-third of a pixel wide doesn't print! Also, we use specific fonts and type sizes for annotations and axis labels and these have to be right at the finished size, not whatever Excel randomly decided looked nice onscreen.

Not all of these specs are necessarily requirements if you're just documenting your own project for your own blog or whatever but still worth bearing in mind for future flexibility.

Just my $0.03 (adjusted for inflation)

DrG:
Try different backgrounds...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version