Author Topic: How to permanently disable FireFox updating...  (Read 8940 times)

Offline BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
How to permanently disable FireFox updating...
« on: October 14, 2023, 02:48:47 am »
How to permanently disable FireFox updating...
For those of you who just need it that badly, follow these instructions:

Close Firefox before proceeding.

Launch Windows Registry Editor.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies

Create a new key there named Mozilla. You will end up with: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla

Under the Mozilla key, create a new key named Firefox. You will end up with: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox

On the right, create a new 32-Bit DWORD value DisableAppUpdate

Set its value to: 1

Restart Firefox and you will no longer see the "a new Firefox update is available" popup.

In Firefox navigate to about:preferences and in the General section under Firefox Updates you will see "Updates disabled by your system administrator"

Finally, some peace...

Here is a .zip of a firefox auto-update ON and OFF reg files I created (IE: they automatically perform the registry addition you see in the above quote.):
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/how-to-permanently-disable-firefox-updating/msg5113854/#msg5113854
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 06:21:25 pm by BrianHG »

The following users thanked this post: m12lrpv, Tomorokoshi, mwb1100, tridac

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: How to permanently disable FireFox updating...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 03:19:02 am »
Mozilla Firefox/distribution/policies.json

{
 "policies": {
    "DisableAppUpdate": true
  }
}

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix

Offline The Electrician

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 05:21:42 am »

{
  }
}

Could you explain a little more how to do this>

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 09:02:22 am »
Go into the settings menu of Firefox and set the updates to manual.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline tridac

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 10:08:09 am »
Thanks, will give that a try. Problem is that later verisions of FF no longer have the ability to disable updates, which is why i'm still on 114.0.2. That does keep nannying with an update box,  top right, several times a day, but at least it can be ignored. Would be good to get rid of that as well...
Test gear restoration, hardware and software projects...

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2023, 08:18:41 pm »
Thanks, will give that a try. Problem is that later verisions of FF no longer have the ability to disable updates, which is why i'm still on 114.0.2. That does keep nannying with an update box,  top right, several times a day, but at least it can be ignored. Would be good to get rid of that as well...

Use Linux. :-DD

The following users thanked this post: rhodges, soldar

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2023, 11:24:15 pm »
The last version in 2020 Firefox 80 I think had lots of popup messages (about the browser) with dimming overlays more than chrome (which hurts my eyes and p*ss me off) and I gave up on it because of the dimming overlays.

I opened a thread on the Firefox forum explaining the issue and a suggestion but it got deleted.

I still feel bitter about it. I wonder if it is someone's ego who decided they wanted it like that and don't want to hear the impact it has by constantly dimming the screen with dialogues and offer messages from Firefox.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 01:39:12 am by MrMobodies »

Offline JeremyC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 12:15:22 am »

It's not OS issue. Using Linux will not resolve OP's problem... he must disable auto updates... 

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2023, 12:33:05 am »

Yes, they do. Same setting - it notifies you, but doesn't force you.

Perhaps you should just update and move on with your life.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 02:20:21 am »
After my posted reg patch:

No more update interruptions.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2023, 02:26:01 am »
Here, I've attached a .zip of 2 reg files which will allow you to turn on and off firefox's updates.

Just double click on the reg file you want and click yes/yes.

If you do not trust me, you can inspect the reg files with any text editor and see it matches the reg settings I quoted in my opening post.

In the .zip, you have these 2 files:
FireFox_updates_off.reg
FireFox_updates_on.reg
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 02:39:05 am by BrianHG »

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2023, 05:15:41 am »

It's not OS issue. Using Linux will not resolve OP's problem... he must disable auto updates...

There is no auto-update in Linux versions.

The following users thanked this post: rhodges

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2023, 06:05:39 am »

{
  }
}

See:

- Firefox policy-templates

That page also documents the registry settings in @BrianHG's original post.  There are at least two advantages to the policies.json file:

1. it's easier to backup/restore
2. it's cross platform (of course, that doesn't matter if you're running only Windows)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 06:12:11 am by mwb1100 »

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2023, 08:27:45 am »
I'm pretty sure auto updates are possible, since they're disabled.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2023, 08:40:15 am »
It's kind of ridiculous but probably 80% or more of the updates that come through the package manger are Firefox updates. I hardly use it anymore because it won't keep running. It constantly wants to be restarted and the way I do things that gets to be annoying.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2023, 10:38:49 am »
So... this is why we have massive bot-nets!  People willingly disabling security updates.   :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Monkeh, m98, Shonky, karpouzi9

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2023, 12:26:52 pm »
The last version in 2020 Firefox 80 I think had lots of popup messages (about the browser) with dimming overlays more than chrome (which hurts my eyes and p*ss me off) and I gave up on it because of the dimming overlays.

I opened a thread on the Firefox forum explaining the issue and a suggestion but it got deleted.

I still feel bitter about it. I wonder if it is someone's ego who decided they wanted it like that and don't want to hear the impact it has by constantly dimming the screen with dialogues and offer messages from Firefox.

Why don't you just switch to the Extended Support Release (ESR)? Then you only get security updates, not new features.
Best Regards, Chris

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2023, 01:55:13 pm »

There is no auto-update in Linux versions.
There certainly is. At least in version 114 (downloaded from Mozilla directly) which I'm using right now. But I have Firefox installed in a place where only root can write so it can't update / overwrite itself. Maybe packaged versions from Linux distributions have the updates disabled to make sure Firefox is updated throuhg the OS native update process.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 01:57:08 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2023, 04:22:42 pm »

{
  }
}

« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 04:25:06 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2023, 04:43:24 pm »
It's kind of ridiculous but probably 80% or more of the updates that come through the package manger are Firefox updates. I hardly use it anymore because it won't keep running. It constantly wants to be restarted and the way I do things that gets to be annoying.

Not exactly true.  I'm using an old ESR with NoScript and even the latest updates slowed down my laptops loading of firefox 4 fold.
It also eats 50% more ram when just viewing youtube videos and with my 4gb system, this means a bunch of low computer memory warnings and crashes.

Warning: The latest firefox ESR update also triggers the youtube adblocker warning.

Uninstalling and downgrading needs to now be done offline, otherwise, firefox auto-updates before your your first run, of by the second run.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2023, 05:31:35 pm »
I had so many problems with the latest update and it slowed down my system so much, that I went back to an older Firefox version.

This older version runs so smooth and fast that it was a big positive surprise. I will update manually from now on.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2023, 05:40:41 pm »
I had to roll back a few months back when YT would flash a white screen at me.   The version installed now still has a problem that it will not always allow the the bookmarks to function.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2023, 05:46:49 pm »
I had to roll back a few months back when YT would flash a white screen at me.   The version installed now still has a problem that it will not always allow the the bookmarks to function.
You need to go into the bookmark manager an export your bookmarks.
Then full uninstall firefox.
The go into all your 'documents and settings' folders hunting down all the Mozilla/firefox folders and delete everything. (Careful if you use Firebird, keep those folders or loose your emails.)
Then disconnect from the internet installing an old firefox. switch to manual updates, then reconnect to the internet.
Import bookmarks & re-install your adblockers/noscript.
Doing all this will reverse all the new garbage.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 05:56:25 pm by BrianHG »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2023, 05:55:28 pm »
firefox 102.4.0esr seems not to be too bloatty and no youtube warnings.
Firefox 91.1.0esr seems to use even less resources and the webpages scroll much smoother on my older systems.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2023, 05:57:02 pm »
On a Linux system that updates Firefox with the package manager the problem comes from updating while Firefox is running. That gets it bent out of shape and it will refuse to open new pages or tabs until it's restarted. You just have to watch what you're doing. But on MX the updates are all or nothing (as far as I can tell) and I don't like to put off system updates just because Firefox is in use and some Firefox update is included. The easiest solution is to just use Firefox as little as possible.

It's different on Windows because Firefox handles its own updating and you can set it to just get the updates and defer the installing until later. On my windows computer , literally the only thing Firefox is used for is watching YouTube and I've had zero problems. But I have no account, never sign in, and block just about everything I can and still have YouTube work. I don't even allow their cookies.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf