Author Topic: How to pronounce hyphen in model numbers in English  (Read 4393 times)

Offline gamalotTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
How to pronounce hyphen in model numbers in English
« on: March 18, 2019, 06:02:57 am »
For example, Boeing 737-8

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: How to pronounce hyphen in model numbers in English
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 06:19:52 am »
Seven three seven dash eight.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Psi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 06:33:34 am »
Sometimes it's not pronounced, there's just a slightly longer pause. Seven-thirty-seven eight. A bit like eighty-seven five.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 06:57:23 am »
This is the safest advice to follow, IMO:

The following users thanked this post: Ampera

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 07:17:29 am »
This is the safest advice to follow, IMO:
I'll refer you to the thread below. 737-800 is commonly pronounced as seven-thirty-seven eight-hundred, as are similar type and subtype combinations. The dash isn't usually pronounced. I believe that "737-8" is actually the FAA type certificate and the aircraft is called the 737 MAX 8. It's debatable whether it being an FAA type certificate makes a difference as it's a slightly more bureaucratic term.

Rather confusingly the 737-800 is also referred to as the 738, with similar combinations made with other subtypes. If anything, human language tends to favour expediency over accuracy.

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/boeing-737-800.2861422/

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 07:20:57 am »

To be confused with a Dash 8...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Dash_8

(sorry, couldn't resist! :D)

Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 07:35:56 am »

Quite right, not to confused with a Q300 (Dash 8 ) that my daughter captains.

But this thread is not about aircraft it's about the least confusing English use of "-" which is dash. Period.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 07:48:40 am »

But this thread is not about aircraft it's about the least confusing English use of "-" which is dash. Period.
Not about aircraft? ;D

For example, Boeing 737-8

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 08:02:01 am »
dash. Period.

Never heard it called "dash period" but I believe in Asia I've heard "hai-phon" or something similar.  ;)
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

The following users thanked this post: Twenty4Pack, Mr. Scram

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 08:30:53 am »
I'll refer you to the thread below. 737-800 is commonly pronounced as seven-thirty-seven eight-hundred

I have never said seven thirty-seven, it is too much of a mouthful. I say seven-three-seven, seven-six-seven, seven-four-seven, etc. The 777 is the "triple-seven".

For the 747-400 I say "seven-four-seven, four hundred".

I agree with the general sentiment that "-" in a type code or model number is pronounced "dash".

The following users thanked this post: PTR_1275

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 09:49:51 am »
In most parts of America, at least where I have lived, it would be seven thirty seven dash eight. You most commonly hear the second and third digits combined, and - would be "dash". Speaking each digit individually sounds awkward most of the time.

Seven Forty Seven
Four Fifty Four
Seven Eleven
etc.

Offline gamalotTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 09:57:20 am »
Thank you everyone, thank you!

Offline HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 03:33:19 pm »
Specifically saying 'dash' won't help when you're talking to someone who confuses dashes with slashes, though. :D

"it's a seven three seven dash eight" ... writes '737/8' >:(

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 04:12:44 pm »
Typically North Americans would say Seven Forty Seven, whereas the Brits say Seven Four Seven. 
Which then you have you ask yourself, why do the brits call it a [BAC] one eleven and not a one one one.

But back to the original, dash

or in the case of the Boeing 737-MAX8 I would either drop the word 'dash' altogether , or just write it the proper way: B38M

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 04:32:56 pm »
Typically North Americans would say Seven Forty Seven, whereas the Brits say Seven Four Seven. 
Which then you have you ask yourself, why do the brits call it a [BAC] one eleven and not a one one one.

Well for example, I call the A350 the "A-three-fifty". Most such choices are based on what sounds most natural, what most easily rolls off the tongue. "Seven Forty-Seven" is a tongue-twister in British English, and therefore very unlikely to be said.

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 04:39:41 pm »

It's relevant from the point of view that multiple meanings apply to the same word, additionally, English has a fair number of homonyms.

For instance, "dash" could be understood to have multiple meanings:

1. A separator, as brought up in this original question. Is it a dash, or a hyphen? Specifically, a hyphen combines two elements into the same concept, while a dash tends to separate two elements into distinct, albeit connected concepts.

2. A synonym for speed, as in "100 yard dash", which can be clarified by using a hyphen as "100-yard dash". Not to be confused with "100 yard-dash" which has some other meaning.

3. A synonym for cancelling or being damaged, as in "the ship was dashed upon the rocks...".

There are many more subtle meanings as well. In one were aware of only one or two, then legitimate usage in English could clearly be confusing. For instance, in spoken conversation "Dash 8" could be subsequently written down as "-8", implying that a more general specifier was missing from the conversation... Ellipses...

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 05:31:13 pm »
A separator, as brought up in this original question. Is it a dash, or a hyphen? Specifically, a hyphen combines two elements into the same concept, while a dash tends to separate two elements into distinct, albeit connected concepts.

It's even more specific than that. There are three common dashes in typography, each with well-defined uses: hyphen (-), en dash (–) or em dash (—).

https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/hyphen-and-dashes.html

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 06:23:59 pm »
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 10:06:19 pm »
This is no help to the OP, but in general I think the rule is like proper names.  You say it the way the owner of the name wants it.  Which requires asking someone who credibly knows, preferably the actual owner of the name.  This rule applies to most of the discussion above about an aircraft that is commonly spoken of by its type number and to a number of other situations.

When the dash is just part of a part number, serial number or something like that it gets pronounced dash in every cases I have heard.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 10:43:50 pm »
It's even more specific than that. There are three common dashes in typography, each with well-defined uses: hyphen (-), en dash (–) or em dash (—).
https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/hyphen-and-dashes.html
I learned that there are at least four, although they are often collapsed in typefaces that do not have separate glyphs.
A hyphen (-) is for port-manteau words, and for words broken at a syl-
lable at the end of a line of text.
A figure dash (‒) is for separating groups of digits in a phone number or other sequence. 1‒202‒456‒1414, or 747‒400. This is the one that is most commonly substituted with a hyphen because it's hard to type.
An en dash (–) is for a range. The notes on a piano are from A0–C8. The bank is open from 9–5. This is also often substituted with a hyphen.
An em dash (—) is for appositive or indirect remarks—like a gloss of a quoted phrase—and usually used in pairs. It can also serve to mark speech—as in Ulysses—although this may be seen as eccentric.
—That's a fine old custom, he said. I'm glad to see it has not died out.

There are other specialized dashes used in mathematics, but those are not needed in mainstream books.
By the way, the "en dash" is so-called because it is meant to be the same width as a lower-case n. The "em dash" is meant to be the same width as a lower-case m.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:51:20 pm by helius »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 12:48:30 am »
And indeed there is a minus sign. Writing +12 V and −12 V looks much better with a minus instead of a hyphen.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 02:36:13 am »
I think we are overlooking the most important:  What does the manufacturer calls it?

The manufacturer, being the creator of that item, gets to name it.

For 737-800, if Boeing calls it Seventy-three Seven-dash-eight-double-O, then we should give them the respect and call it as such.  They didn't call it that.  That was my example.

Whatever Boeing calls 737-800 in their public advertisements, announcements, etc., that is the one we should use.

Edit- clicked Save too soon initially, so edited to finish properly writing this.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:38:30 am by Rick Law »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 02:41:05 am »
I think we are overlooking the most important:  What does the manufacturer calls it?

The manufacturer, being the creator of that item, gets to name it.

For 737-800, if Boeing calls it Seventy-three Seven-dash-eight-double-O, then we should give them the respect and call it as such.  They didn't call it that.  That was my example.

Whatever Boeing calls 737-800 in their public advertisements, announcements, etc., that is the one we should use.

Edit- clicked Save too soon initially, so edited to finish properly writing this.
That's one approach and a fair one. Another approach would be to see the common lingo of the professionals in the field or the de facto standard.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 03:17:10 am »
Boeing is a huge company. I don't know whether they have an official policy on how to pronounce it, but they have thousands of employees all over the world with different speech habits. I'm sure that they use all different ways.

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 10:01:59 am »
I call it the Boeing seven three seven minus eight. (Or seven two nine, same thing.) :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf