Author Topic: How to tag someone in a post?  (Read 5645 times)

Offline bigjoncoopTopic starter

• Contributor
How to tag someone in a post?
« on: December 18, 2023, 09:45:47 pm »
Is it possible to tag a forum member in a post?

On most forums you can simply put a @ sign before there name and it will tag them.

Or sometimes after writing the @ sign a drop down list will appear so you select a members name...

But it seems that @"member name" doesn't tag the person here on the eevblog forum.

Thanks

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: How to tag someone in a post?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 09:59:13 pm »
I use @ here, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.  Same goes with quoting an individual.  Nothing special in terms of a notification happens so far a I know.  Does it matter?  (Not to me.)  At least the @ lets most people know to whom your response is directed.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 12:28:15 am »
There is indeed no such thing on this forum, and to be fair, whether it would be a good thing is questionable. If the person is following a given thread and sees their nickname in posts (whether you add a @ or not, doesn't matter much), they'll see they are being mentioned. If they are not following a thread enough to see that, then they may not want to be bothered with notifications anyway. I'm not completely sure I like the concept of "tagging", whereby people are supposed to say so important stuff that the other absolutely has to be notified. Dunno. If one really wants to say something to someone in particular, they may just write a PM. If it really matters.

But mentioning who you are replying to - unless it's the OP, which should be IMO implicit then - yes. Definitely. Or even better, quote the specific part you are replying to, that helps. Try to make the quote relevant (do not quote everything by default just because, or OTOH try not to quote out of context, that's also annoying.) Just my random 2 ethereums.

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 01:16:23 am »
Not that I know of.
The easiest thing to do would be to create your post and then send them a private message with a link to it.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 09:43:24 am »
It works... sometimes? I've had alerts before. But they're not well known and rarely used here.

Ah yeah, it's a bb tag:

@Halcyon is a goober

Tim
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 09:45:53 am by T3sl4co1l »
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 10:10:52 am »
The bottom line in the Profile menu is 'Mentions' but it doesn't show anything. Not sure if it's broken/switched off/not implemented.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 10:40:36 am »
Depends, you ever been tagged @PA0PBZ before? :P

Tim

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 11:23:53 am »
Depends, you ever been tagged @PA0PBZ before? :P

Yes, and no, still nothing  :P
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 11:51:48 am »
Please do not "tag" or "mention" someone.
Please do quote their points.

Tags/mentions are used on FarceBoor, Twatter and similar. Those antisocial muddia sites use such features bugs to deliberately hobble discussion of subtle points; they favour trite instant reactions. I don't want this forum to follow that path.

Other forums discourage subtle ongoing discussions by only allowing single level quotes, but that's a different point.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 12:17:15 pm »

And if the person you want to mention has not been involved in the thread, quite possibly is not aware that it even exists, but is known to be expert on the matters being discussed?

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, tautech, ebastler, tooki, newbrain, luudee

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 01:19:15 pm »

And if the person you want to mention has not been involved in the thread, quite possibly is not aware that it even exists, but is known to be expert on the matters being discussed?

Include a link to one or more of the experts posts?
PM the expert?

But maybe the expert has seen the thread and doesn't want to be involved. There are some Awful/Aweful Examples of threads started by certain incontinent posters :(
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 02:03:14 pm »

PM the expert?

But maybe the expert has seen the thread and doesn't want to be involved. There are some Awful/Aweful Examples of threads started by certain incontinent posters :(

I'm not a fan of arguments along the lines of "We shouldn't have fast cars / guns / pseudoephedrine / modems / books because bad people exist who might use them in a bad way".

There are mechanisms to deal with bad people directly, without taking away useful things from normal people.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 03:12:52 pm »

PM the expert?

I'm not a fan of arguments along the lines of "We shouldn't have fast cars / guns / pseudoephedrine / modems / books because bad people exist who might use them in a bad way".

There are mechanisms to deal with bad people directly, without taking away useful things from normal people.

I'll avoid the detour into that rathole territory.

I will note that mechanisms are only useful if reliably enforced. That is far from guaranteed. Take, for example, the "thanks" mechanism on this website; there's at least one poster that thanks every response in the myriad of twattish threads he has started. (N.B. some people directly tell him he is an idiot, and he thanks them!)

Offline luudee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 03:25:35 pm »

I have read all the post so far, and must say it is quite interesting to see the different opinions.

So, how about this:
IMHO, I believe that tagging should be available in the forum.
However, I also believe that each user should be able to turn tagging notifications off is s/he desires.

That way everybody goes home a winner !  :)

Cheers,
rudi

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2024, 11:08:22 pm »
So, how about this:
However, I also believe that each user should be able to turn tagging notifications off is s/he desires.

Everyone wouldn't be a winner, unfortunately. The dislike of mentions by tggzzz seems to be not because they might get one but because other users might post and/or receive them.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2024, 11:14:58 pm »
So, how about this:

Everyone wouldn't be a winner, unfortunately. The dislike of mentions by tggzzz seems to be not because they might get one but because other users might post and/or receive them.

I think they are a bad concept arising from flaws in platforms deliberately enshittified for commercial reasons.

I would be partially mollified if I could stop other people tagging me. Obviously that's a non-starter.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2024, 11:27:03 pm »
Every platform has flaws. Regardless of where mentions kicked off, and for what purpose, I have seen them being used usefully on various systems that most definitely aren't facebook. I think that they are pretty much embedded in the online world now and just as much a basic thing as email, emojis, etc.

Mind, the only time I've used them is when I am on a system where they are expected, to identify who is being thanked or otherwise replied to. When in Rome, etc.

Offline Wil_Bloodworth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2024, 11:55:58 pm »
While I certainly can understand both side of this "mentions" topic, I find it extremely handy at work and use it all day long in Teams.  However, that is a real-time business situation and is slightly different than here.

That said, it doesn't bother me in the slightest if someone tags or mentions me... but, that's just me... I don't give 2 poops about controlling other people's [legal] actions.  If I don't like something, I can just "walk away"... I know... it's shocking... you can actually leave. LOL.  I'm not on FB or Twitter or IG or anything else so whatever.

- Wil

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2024, 12:30:50 am »
While I certainly can understand both side of this "mentions" topic, I find it extremely handy at work and use it all day long in Teams.  However, that is a real-time business situation and is slightly different than here.

That sounds like an online to-and-fro chat about today's activities, i.e. similar to FarceBook/Twatter.

As you say, that is different to somewhere like this forum, where people often refer back to posts made many years or even more than a decade ago.

I did that earlier today, when I referenced a picture in reply #8 in this 2015 (!) thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tek-485-repair-and-restoration-prologue/msg799741/#msg799741

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2024, 12:35:55 am »
Every platform has flaws. Regardless of where mentions kicked off, and for what purpose, I have seen them being used usefully on various systems that most definitely aren't facebook. I think that they are pretty much embedded in the online world now and just as much a basic thing as email, emojis, etc.

Mind, the only time I've used them is when I am on a system where they are expected, to identify who is being thanked or otherwise replied to. When in Rome, etc.

Indeed, every platform does have its flaws.

On this platform I miss some of the old usenet reader's ability to completely ignore posts from a small number of posters. Usenet had flaws that made that ability essential, of course ;)

That isn't an excuse for importing other platform's flaws into this platform :)

Offline metebalci

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2024, 05:10:42 am »
So, how about this:

I think they are a bad concept arising from flaws in platforms deliberately enshittified for commercial reasons.

I would be partially mollified if I could stop other people tagging me. Obviously that's a non-starter.

Just trying to understand. If I want to say in a post something about you wrote, you prefer me to write "tggzzz said ..." rather than "@tggzzz said..." ? You mentioned "quote" should be used but independent of its use, there is a need for a "mention"=reference to someone in a text.

If you are against mentions because of notifications, I definitely agree that there has to be a setting and maybe it should be an opt-in.

The use of at symbol is probably due to both aesthetics (easy to distinguish the username) and a technical reason (because it is not just a word). So I am in favor of its usage but together with an option to disable the notifications.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2024, 09:55:26 am »
If I don't like something, I can just "walk away"... I know... it's shocking... you can actually leave.

Mate, this is the internet. You gotta get your priorities right.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2024, 11:41:44 am »
So, how about this:

Just trying to understand. If I want to say in a post something about you wrote, you prefer me to write "tggzzz said ..." rather than "@tggzzz said..." ? You mentioned "quote" should be used but independent of its use, there is a need for a "mention"=reference to someone in a text.

If you are against mentions because of notifications, I definitely agree that there has to be a setting and maybe it should be an opt-in.

The use of at symbol is probably due to both aesthetics (easy to distinguish the username) and a technical reason (because it is not just a word). So I am in favor of its usage but together with an option to disable the notifications.

None of that, as I have previously and explicitly stated.

If you want to say something about one of my posts, quote that post. Don't make it about me. Do make it about what I said.

There are far too many people who deliberately choose to make strawman arguments so they can advance their own contentions. That's reprehensible.

For those with limited comprehension abilities (or who have other agendas), there's no problem in advancing their own contentions per se. But misrepresenting someone in not acceptable

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2024, 11:52:12 am »
@PlainName I agree. Repeat I disagree.

That's a crude extreme example of how merely mentioning someone is poor style and untasteful. While both of those statements is true, the lost context is critical.

It could, heaven forbid, be used as a "weapon": add such a tag to many posts in a tiny font so the recipient gets inundated but other people don't notice, or be malicious by using the wrong member id :)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2024, 01:37:21 pm »
@PlainName I agree. Repeat I disagree.

That's a crude extreme example of how merely mentioning someone is poor style and untasteful. While both of those statements is true, the lost context is critical.

It could, heaven forbid, be used as a "weapon": add such a tag to many posts in a tiny font so the recipient gets inundated but other people don't notice, or be malicious by using the wrong member id :)

It seems unlikely one could generate enough conspiracy to create a DDoS this way, and a lone actor can simply be reported to admin and banned.  It's... not difficult, there are systems in place for this already. ???

Tim

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf