Author Topic: How to tag someone in a post?  (Read 6065 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: How to tag someone in a post?
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2024, 04:40:51 pm »
@PlainName so you don't feel left out.  :)

Thank you  :-+

Well, that's  interesting.
It is.
Go back and look at my post where I Copy/Paste your handle and unlike the mention from metebalci, mine was not hyperlinked.  :-//

For some (many?) people, at symbol does not create a proper mention (with link etc.) at the moment. It works for me, I dont know why. I saw @tautech 's mention of @PlainName was not working so I posted another one.
Came through fine, thank you.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2024, 05:45:57 pm »
It has to be the editor that's generating the mention's notification. In that reply from tautech there are two tags, both with the requisite hyperlinks, but they don't trigger a notification (nor do they generate a link in the mentions page). So I think it must be the act of making the tag in the editor which does it.

Offline abeyer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2024, 05:07:26 am »
It has to be the editor that's generating the mention's notification. In that reply from tautech there are two tags, both with the requisite hyperlinks, but they don't trigger a notification (nor do they generate a link in the mentions page). So I think it must be the act of making the tag in the editor which does it.

Nope. This mentions mod for smf is just a kind of a piece of junk. It includes both a client side editor script and a server side parser that do pretty much the same thing, but only the latter actually has any effect, the former is purely for gui convenience in the wysiwyg.

It also includes a permissions system where not everyone seems to be assigned to the group to allow use of mentions, and the implementation is kind of half-assed, which is why:
  • some people don't even see the interface for using '@' for mentions in the editor, because they don't have the permission
  • but the bbcode used for mentions isn't protected behind the permission, so anyone can create something that otherwise looks like a mention, but will not send a notification
  • but the parser on the server doesn't handle quotes, so someone who is allowed to use mentions quoting someone who was not but used the '@' anyway will convert it to one and send the notification

Further, it looks like the mod was written/maintained for a month or so in 2014, but hasn't seen any updates since... so any hopes of seeing fixes/improvements/new features seems like a pipe dream. The only improvement likely would be if the admins can either assign (or unassign) everyone to the permission group consistently so at least it's more understandable.

Anyway, that's about as much reading of atrocious PHP code as I'm gonna do on my Friday evening, maybe it clears up some of the confusion about why the behavior is so unintuitive.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 05:09:01 am by abeyer »

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2024, 06:20:19 am »
Well, that would explain that.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2024, 06:35:11 am »
Ten year old,  unmaintained zombie code?
*KILL* *IT* *WITH* *FIRE* !!!

Offline abeyer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2024, 06:56:56 am »
Ten year old,  unmaintained zombie code?
*KILL* *IT* *WITH* *FIRE* !!!

One of the other tidbits I noticed poking around it was that the "installer" script appears to patch some of the core smf files with some search/replace scripts that inject new code into them.  :scared:

The uninstaller might know how to undo that, or it might just break the site, one of those things.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2024, 07:00:43 am »
The uninstaller might know how to undo that, or it might just break the site, one of those things.
Or it may know how to do it and still screw up something else :D

Offline abeyer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2024, 07:07:26 am »
Or it may know how to do it and still screw up something else :D

You sound like you've used PHP before!  :-DD

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2024, 07:09:53 am »
I sound like somebody who has used software before ::)

The following users thanked this post: abeyer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf