Author Topic: How would you use electronics to solve the 11' 8" bridge problem  (Read 31021 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: How would you use electronics to solve the 11' 8" bridge problem
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2018, 12:21:22 am »
The big loophole is when you have NON-commercial vehicles, particularly recreational vehicles. Most states will allow you to drive that 40 foot, 40000 pound, air brake vehicle, while towing a car, with absolutely no extra training whatsoever. Note that this category can include former commercial vehicles like Greyhound buses and Semis!

That is a bit scary, although there seem to be surprisingly few incidents. Perhaps it's down to the relative scarcity of such vehicles. I did know a friend of a friend who had an old transit bus and another who had a school bus but relatively few people can afford a gigantic heavy RV. In all those cases it was not exactly a daily driver.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2018, 01:03:06 am »
In the US we have CDLs for driving commercial vehicles, but as far as I know that's more about the usage of the vehicle than the size. If you want to drive a bus hauling passengers or a truck hauling freight you need a CDL. As far as I know there is no special requirement if you want to drive yourself around in an old bus or rent a big truck for personal use.

It depends on the loaded weight or number of passengers. I believe that a CDL is required for vehicles with a gross weight of 26,001 pounds or more and passenger vehicles when hauling 15 or more passengers.
For the metric (majority) thats 11.7 tonne, 11,700 kg. For comparison in Australia the vehicle weight limit before requiring a higher (commercial type) licence is 4,500kg, EU is harmonised at 3,500kg but with some exemptions on a country by country basis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_goods_vehicle

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2018, 02:21:54 am »
For the metric (majority) thats 11.7 tonne, 11,700 kg. For comparison in Australia the vehicle weight limit before requiring a higher (commercial type) licence is 4,500kg, EU is harmonised at 3,500kg but with some exemptions on a country by country basis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_goods_vehicle

Anybody who passed a class B (manual car) test in the UK before, I think, 1997 gets a 'grandfathered-in' right to drive class C1 (7.5 tonnes) and C1+E vehicles (C1 with trailer - total 8.25 tonnes).

The odd thing about this exception is that it goes with the individual person's license (which is a harmonised European one, a least for a few months more) and so an older UK driver can take advantage of the UK exception in other European countries that don't permit this for their own drivers - a peculiar arrangement, but that's how it was done.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2018, 07:31:46 am »
In the US we have CDLs for driving commercial vehicles, but as far as I know that's more about the usage of the vehicle than the size. If you want to drive a bus hauling passengers or a truck hauling freight you need a CDL. As far as I know there is no special requirement if you want to drive yourself around in an old bus or rent a big truck for personal use.

It depends on the loaded weight or number of passengers. I believe that a CDL is required for vehicles with a gross weight of 26,001 pounds or more and passenger vehicles when hauling 15 or more passengers.

Generally correct. The administration of licenses is handled at the state level, so there are 50 different sets of rules. In the case of commercial licenses they're pretty much the same, with appropriate knowledge tests based on the vehicles driven, since there are overriding federal standards for commercial vehicles and drivers. So most of those rental box trucks in the videos are light enough to not require commercial licenses to drive when those drivers are not engaged in commerce.

The big loophole is when you have NON-commercial vehicles, particularly recreational vehicles. Most states will allow you to drive that 40 foot, 40000 pound, air brake vehicle, while towing a car, with absolutely no extra training whatsoever. Note that this category can include former commercial vehicles like Greyhound buses and Semis!

Correct, and that is where it gets tricky. While the states issue the licences, they do so under federal law. I could buy a 45 foot Prevost bus and turn it into an RV and drive it with a class D license, but God help me if I bypass a weigh station or get a state trooper that only sees a bus and pops me for not having a CDL! Federal guidelines are a little unclear on this matter. It's complicated as the requirements for needing a CDL are based on weight and/or number of passengers. A 40,000# RV that can only seat six people runs afoul of the weight requirements, even though it is well below the minimum passenger requirement.

I have the 2018 FMSA rule book, but it's a dense and boring read. When I get the time, I'll try to see if there is any clarification on this matter.

Personally it doesn't matter to me. I'm a semi driver with a class A CDL and can drive pretty much anything that doesn't run on rails or have wings.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2018, 07:31:32 am »
Video showing the approach to the bridge. (2015)

The following users thanked this post: tooki, ez24

Online Moshly

• Regular Contributor
  • What's wrong with this thing
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2018, 10:45:56 am »
In South Melbourne, we have a slightly different problem ->

:-//

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2018, 02:12:17 pm »
He didn't seem to be going insanely fast based on the bow wave (tough to tell from a near head on camera angle), but why on earth would he not have stood on the brake pedal the instant the nose of the car began to submarine?  It looked like he tried to just keep going.   :popcorn: :palm:

Some people's kids...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2018, 10:03:07 pm »
I like how he keeps turning the steering wheel, to do a U-turn with his U-boat  :-DD

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2018, 03:59:06 am »
He didn't seem to be going insanely fast based on the bow wave (tough to tell from a near head on camera angle), but why on earth would he not have stood on the brake pedal the instant the nose of the car began to submarine?  It looked like he tried to just keep going.   :popcorn: :palm:

Some people's kids...

-Pat

It looks to me like he almost did, what we call in the US a rolling stop (or California Stop), before speeding up a bit and hitting the water. I can’t imagine he was going more than 10mph or so.

As for why he kept going? In for a penny, in for a pound! Once the back popped up, he was screwed anyway, so he might as well keep going. (Though, the car may have come out from that alright; it looks like the firewall is just above the waterline, so the interior of the car would have stayed relatively dry. The air intake would be at the bottom of the windshield, which is also above the water. As long as the engine doesn’t suck in water, it can run submerged for short periods.)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2018, 07:08:06 am »

Some people's kids...

-Pat
Though, the car may have come out from that alright; it looks like the firewall is just above the waterline, so the interior of the car would have stayed relatively dry. The air intake would be at the bottom of the windshield, which is also above the water. As long as the engine doesn’t suck in water, it can run submerged for short periods.
Perhaps on your side of the world with its peculiar cars but most vehicles of that era have the air intake low down in front of the wheel arch. You can actually pick out the specific year model of that car and verify if you like....

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2018, 08:09:30 am »

Some people's kids...

-Pat
Though, the car may have come out from that alright; it looks like the firewall is just above the waterline, so the interior of the car would have stayed relatively dry. The air intake would be at the bottom of the windshield, which is also above the water. As long as the engine doesn’t suck in water, it can run submerged for short periods.
Perhaps on your side of the world with its peculiar cars but most vehicles of that era have the air intake low down in front of the wheel arch. You can actually pick out the specific year model of that car and verify if you like....

Yeah, I wouldn't be too surprised if it inhaled a nice slug of water.  Hydro lock is a bitch, too.  How're your bent con rods?   :o

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2018, 08:26:46 am »

Some people's kids...

-Pat
Most people don't realize that a car can start floating in as little as 1 foot or 30 centimeters of water. You lose traction and quickly get yourself in more trouble as you lose control. A diesel can keep running in water for a bit, unless you literally flood it, but the electronics of a petrol car are very vulnerable to water. As soon as the engine cuts out it's game over as the water enters the exhaust. Cars aren't exactly watertight either, so the interior fills.

It's generally bad news for a car to become waterlogged, it's typically a complete write-off. A lot of insurance companies won't even take a close look at a car that's been sitting in water. Even if you manage to rescue the car, it can be hard to prevent mould from destroying the interior. Obviously, it can easily cost you your life too. You certainly wouldn't be the first to drown that way.

Online Moshly

• Regular Contributor
  • What's wrong with this thing
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2018, 09:13:29 am »
This happens nearly every time it floods.
Notice (in the yt video) the local in the background with the fishing rod  :-DD

Some hit it at speed

Others

StreetView ->
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.8320703,144.9550929,3a,75y,265.4h,88.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTCwyDsyDRYT9r5oX0k-Hiw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?dcr=0

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2018, 06:53:14 pm »
The air intake below the windshield is for the HVAC system. The engine air intake is separate, near the air filter box which is normally in one of the front corners of the car under the hood.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2018, 07:59:29 pm »
The first things that comes to mind...

- the actual bridge (the thing you are trying to avoid) is incredibly inconspicuous. Yes there are some badly scraped yellow stripes on the protection bar, but the side of the bridge itself is black - why not make the whole side of the thing reflective Bright and conspicuous.

- The signage is confusing. The driver  is probably still trying to understand the grammar of "OVERHEIGHT MUST TURN" when he hits the bridge.

- The actual height limit sign is small in comparison to the above one, the driver probably doesn't even notice it while trying to decode the other one. If you asked him, he probably wouldn't have even registered the figures.

- It's adjacent to a lights controlled junction - lots of other lights, it just looks like some overhead hung lights (US style), the dark bridge fades into the background.

The bar hung on chains is common here - entrances to car parks etc. The solution doesn't have to be active.
All of this is often ignored. It boils down to making the signs visible and understandable. If you notice, the One Way signs are always placed so that you find them when you’re looking to turn the wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2018, 11:52:23 pm »

Some people's kids...

-Pat

I should have been more clear, I was talking about two separate things.

A lot of cars have the HVAC input at the base of the windshield. Obviously it’s designed to drain water (rain, splashes, etc.) but if you submerge it, it will end up in the cabin.

The engine’s air intake can be in numerous places, including the wheel well (more common on smaller front wheel drive cars), just sitting under the hood (with a conical filter, also a common aftermarket mod with ricers), slots in the top of the hood itself (you see this mainly with supercharged cars) and directly behind the grill (rear wheel drive sedans and trucks).
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Avacee

• Supporter
« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2019, 12:48:06 am »
Apologies to reviving a dormant thread but those familiar with it may like to know the 11'8" bridge problem has been "solved" by raising it 8 inches to 12' 4".

The stretch of track over the bridge was inclined so it raised to be level with another bridge a short distance away to one side and inclined slightly steeper the other side.

The good news is that larger lorries (US standard 13'6" / 4.11m) can still have their roofs ripped off along with RV's, large air con units, several common makes of hire/rental trucks, etc - all is not lost  >:D >:D

BBC News article (1:03)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-50340631/north-carolina-can-opener-bridge-raised

The chap making the next 2 videos is Jurgen Henn who setup the original webcam and the 11foot8 website and provided us with much amusement and  :palm: :palm: moments
Preparing the raise (8:56)

... and the raise (8.42)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 12:54:11 am by Avacee »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, tooki

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2019, 04:26:01 am »
as outlawing driver stupidity is impossible with out replacement with AI
so that leaves changing the level of either the road going under, or the height level of the railway bridge
one solution is to have the AI on the bridge with something more attention grabbing thin just regular traffic lights.
including monitoring all traffic intersections entering the bridge zone for vehicle height. with laser beams atop of street 
stobie poles. lasers act as vehicle height level detectors . two beams or sets of twin laser beams on the same
two poles ether side of the roadway would in theory prevent false trigging by say birds or a single laser failure.
once the height of all vehicles entering the zone is known, then any AI with the use of cameras and
imbedded in the road ground loops. to track an individual over height vehicle with the goal of stopping it.
by traffic lights and or traffic boom gates. the use of a type of AI would give the system flexibility in how to deal
with driver stupidity and other odd driver actions.  an example vehicles reversing up or blocking the road.
also any AI would communicate to the drivers by big electronic street side signs.  the cost of all this electronic infrastructure
needs to compared to the cost of fixing railway bridge level its self .
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #193 on: November 10, 2019, 02:35:53 pm »
Raising the bridge always was the only real solution.

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2019, 03:50:08 pm »
Yep. Electronics was used in the most effective way - to put so many embarrassing videos of crashes on the internet, that the authorities eventually had to fix the height of the bridge.

The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #195 on: November 11, 2019, 12:15:00 pm »

The extra 8" will help, and will prevent some crashes, but it isn't enough to stop them all.  :)

There will still be ripped-open trucks and toppled equipment, but it will be less frequent now...

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #196 on: November 12, 2019, 02:41:08 am »
Id bet, if you pulled each driver after a crash, and asked them “ how many inches in a foot “, half of them would go blank.
It’s a basic question of driver confidence and competence.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #197 on: November 12, 2019, 06:57:25 am »
Id bet, if you pulled each driver after a crash, and asked them “ how many inches in a foot “, half of them would go blank.
It’s a basic question of driver confidence and competence.

Don't forget context. People have different size feet, you know, and most of them are shorter than ‎0.3048 meters.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: November 12, 2019, 08:02:01 am »
I'm actually kinda curious, do big trucks, especially rentals, give you any info on their height?  Like is it listed on the dash somewhere?  I feel that could actually solve a lot of these issues.  Most people see the "clearance" sign and assume they'll fit but don't actually know their vehicle height.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #199 on: November 12, 2019, 08:35:55 am »
I've rented a truck in Sydney a couple of times - and they DO advise you of the height... VERY CLEARLY.  They also make the point that the insurance cover option they provide does NOT include damage caused by over-height impact.

What they don't do - and CAN'T do - is get the driver (used to their highest point being a foot above their head) to appreciate that the highest point of the vehicle they're driving is now four feet (or more) above their head.

I'm not just talking about standing outside and looking up - I'm talking about when they are driving along, paying attention on navigation, lane changing and generally avoiding collision with non truck friendly traffic when their thoughts on the structure towering above their head is not featuring in their thinking.  This is not to mention their lack of interest in height warning signs - because they've never needed to worry about them before.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:37:41 am by Brumby »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf