Author Topic: HP 15c Limited Edition  (Read 27679 times)

Offline slateraptorTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
HP 15c Limited Edition
« on: September 15, 2011, 02:10:09 am »
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/calculator/30th-anniversary.html?jumpid=ex_R11260_go_voyager

...in particular, that tidbit about 15c Limited Edition soon to be released for $100. Go to HP's product page:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/calculator/Scientific/1/storefronts/NW250AA%2523ABA

Coming soon? =(

That's ok because: http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-15c-scientific-calculator-limited-edition/223173356.html

...and for $10 less to boot. =D You can also purchase on eBay via buy.com's eBay store front:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HP-15C-Scientific-Calculator-Limited-Edition-/380368581219?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588fbbf263

Immediately placed an ordered for two a few days ago and they came in today (pics to be posted as soon as camera battery has recharged).

A few observations:

1) Found this video on YT concerning the [f] and [g] keys:

Sadly, both of my calculators exhibit this key slop. Not really a big deal to me...I'm just happy that I finally own a 15c for less than $100 a pop. Other than that, build quality is solid.

2) Powered by two CR2032 coin cells as opposed to three of those smaller watch batteries. More important is what appears to be a 6-pad programming interface beneath the battery cover. Makes me wanna tear this thing open. =\

That's all for now. Discuss?

[EDIT]
Ok, strange. Both units fail the [ON] / [multiply] self-test and produce Error 9. =\ Furthermore, page 261 of the Owner's Handbook makes it quite evident that the manual is a cut-and-paste of the 12c.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:37:28 am by slateraptor »

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: HP 15c Limited Edition
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 02:51:33 am »
If only they would make more of the HP 16C (programmers version)

Dad has wanted one for years but isn't prepared to pay the ~NZ$400 that the rare 2nd hand ones go for.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Lawsen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 04:06:50 am »
I am still using my HP-11c that I have, since childhood.  I recently replaced it with an E Bay bought one.  It costs the same price as it was, since 1984.  The reintroduction of the HP-15C is a welcome news.  I have telephoned HP a few days ago about the release date of the HP-15C.  The person that answered the telephone has no information about the release date.  There is no information of how much commitment HP have for tablet or PC.   The new HP-15c will be 6502 core (no, it is an ARM 7TDMI, as the group corrected me.) architecture microprocessor based like the HP-12 platinum calculator, no.  It is a ARM 7TDMI processor  and uses 2 CR2032 Li 3 V batteries with a larger battery lid.  The HP-12 platinum uses only one CR2032 Li 3 V battery.  The serial number sticker comes off too easily, no molded into the case like the "made in U.S.A., Brazil, or Singapore;" models.  I cannot wait for HP-15c, this is exciting news, since the discontinuation in 1989. 

http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp15.htm

The HP-16C was a computer programmer's calculator with BIN, HEX decimal , and OCTAL number conversions.  Trigonometric functions are absent.   This one has limited appeal like the very basic HP-10C, lower end to the HP-11C.  It is unlikely that all five versions will be reintroduced, though it would absolutely be fun to see.  In an age where an Android cellular telephones could have a graphing calculator app, specialized calculators have limited appeal.  Worse, none of the schools in the U.S.A. will promote the HP-15C.  A younger person with an eccentric taste for math things might want one.  The schools here in the U.S.A. are using TI-84 Silver Edition.  I graduated, I got a TI Nspire CAS.  I like the CX CAS with data acquisition base for magnetometers.  I find the old HP-11C my everyday machine, fun and simple.  The batteries last forever in those HP ten C series.  Kinpo-HP keys were never as good as the genuine HP, Corvallis, Oregon made keys.  We have to accept that. 

Surf here for more details of the HP-15C Limited Edition.  I was not able to find much information on various calculator museums and collectors websites, this one is the best description:

http://eda360insider.wordpress.com/2011/09/17/eda360-and-the-hewlett-packard-15c-limited-edition-calculator/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 07:50:18 pm by Lawsen »

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 04:36:08 am »
6502???!!!  Holy frijoles!  That's the same chip as in my old Commodore 64!

I have my original 11C from my high school days, still with the original batteries.  I'm an RPN nut and have various HPs scattered on all my desks, bags, etc.  After all these years, it's hard for me to use an algebraic calculator.  I really like the keys and clear display of the old HPs; not interested in emulation on my phone, etc.  I'm glad to see a real 15C come back!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 06:00:55 am »
The new HP-15c will be 6502 microprocessor based like the HP-12 platinum calculator.

http://www.eetimes.com/design/embedded/4007500/Tear-Down-Scientific-calculator-boils-design-down-to-two-ICs

I suspect it's the same Sunplus 8502 in the 35s.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 06:35:04 pm »
What on earth are HP on? I don't know whether it is HP themselves or Kinpo Electronics, but they seem to be consistently making wrong decisions. The 2008 version of the HP-12C was re-engineered to use an ARM processor running an emulator. Faster, cheaper, more flexible. How about using it on the HP-15C? Nah, lets use an old 8-bit processor. Not even a 20-bit Saturn.

In that tear-down review, HP seem to make a big thing about how the HP-15C isn't hackable. Bad decision guys, most of the people who want these calculators are hackers. Maybe they saw how the HP-30B has been repurposed and decided that it was cutting into their more premium end market.

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Contributor
    • carrotIndustries.net
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 07:38:02 pm »
The HP15C LE is actually based on an ARM, like the the current HP 12C. See the hpmuseum.org forum.

Offline Lanman

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 10:23:11 pm »
Wow,
Going way back.  My first HP calc was the HP 67.  Loved that thing in college.  Later I picked up a 41C to finish out my college education.  As a systems engineer for HP Labs, I used the HP 28S.  Wish I could remember what I did with that thing.  Probably long gone by now.  I still have, and use, my HP 32S anniversary edition calc.  The nice thing about using an RPN calc is my wife & kids leave it alone.     

Dave,
Clovis, Ca.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:51:06 am by Lanman »

Offline Lawsen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 03:58:42 am »
Here is a website that lists most HP hand held calculators and computers:

http://www.finseth.com/hpdata/hp65a.php

http://www.finseth.com/hpdata/hp67a.php

http://www.finseth.com/hpdata/hp71b.php

http://www.finseth.com/hpdata/hp15c.php

The HP-15C was part of the Voyager series 10C pocket calculators, these have Saturn Processor by HP. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:38:05 am by Lawsen »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 07:25:27 am »
So I read about 50 or so pages of the Owner's Manual to figure out how to do certain things that I commonly use my calculator, i.e. complex arithmetic, system of equations, etc. Needless to say my 35s has spoiled me rotten. A few notes:

* Turns out the visible dual stack of the 35s was more than a mere convenience.

* Clearing out the imaginary part of complex input is a pain on the 15c, let alone getting it in there in one fell swoop.

* Raising to a complex exponent is doable on the 15c...this was a no-go on the 35s, or at least I never figured out how to do it.

* No built-in constants library on the 15c. *sigh*

* Complex arithmetic assumes 15c stack is in Cartesian form, which means gotta remember to convert from polar before hitting that operator.

* The ability to easily view just the mantissa is nice and could prove to be useful.

I'm just making small talk. =) Any "old timers" have suggestions or words of 15c wisdom for a young aspiring engineer?

P.S.
Saw this the other day:

http://hp-12c-calculator.com/?page_id=2

Looks convenient and sexy, although I'm not so certain that folding top will stand the test of time. Too bad they're out of stock.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 09:48:59 am »
Buy.com have just jacked up their price from $89 to $220!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-15C-Limited-Edition-Scientific-Calculator-/170697671543#ht_500wt_1156

They are milking the cash cow...

Dave.

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 02:53:35 pm »
Buy.com have just jacked up their price from $89 to $220!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-15C-Limited-Edition-Scientific-Calculator-/170697671543#ht_500wt_1156

They are milking the cash cow...

Dave.

That's actually a third-party seller, Samson Cables.  I think that buy.com is sold out!

Offline electrodynatronic

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 08:30:00 pm »
$99.00? $200.00?

This is a shame. I paid $80 for a HP33s some years ago, thinking I would get a good calculator. I threw it in some drawer right after I got it. The buttons were horrible, unusable. All of their new stuff is. At least someone at HP knows it now.

Later I found an old HP-41CV. Nice sloppy buttons. All is well now. Makes me want to start an "affordable RPN calculator that isn't a piece of crap" project.

PS - My calculator can land a Space Shuttle, not that I'll need to do that in the uh... ever, but still, it can, or so I've read on the internet.

Offline Lawsen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 04:30:15 am »
I have surfed the HP website and there are no HP-15C left, sold out?  There were listings in Amazon dot com, but it redirected to the HP sales website .  There are none lift.  It is not worth that much money for a vintage RPN trigonometric calculator.  My HP-11C from my younger years were worth $65.00 to $100.00 USD at most with the instructions book.  The current price for a new one from Amazon.com is $390.00 USD+$4.49 USD delivery.  It is not worth that much.  These businesses have been buying out the entire HP supply and reselling them marked up from $99.00 to $390.00, a +$291.00 marked up.  The listing in Amazon mentioned that more HP-15C will be available to satisfy the demand of both consumers and inflated price speculators by October to December 2011.  The supply is not there.  HP will not marked up the price and be at $99.00, firm.  Forget about the HP-15C, until HP increases the supply, which is present to next month.  The HP is not made by HP, but by Kinpo.  My recommendation is hold off on buying it, until supply becomes more abundant.  Keep checking the HP store's website.    By the way, it is available for $99.00 USD via HP Kinpo, do not buy for the independents stores that marked them up to a price, where you could buy a laptop for a vintage Sunpak 6502 core processor. 

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/NW250AA%2523ABA/1?jumpid=in_r329_personalization/browse1/home_PDP

The touch tablet Android is still out.  HP will try to make more of them in a few months.  Do not buy from independent store, because prices are marked up too high, too. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:33:29 am by Lawsen »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 06:05:41 am »
I have surfed the HP website and there are no HP-15C left, sold out? 

They only made a run of 10,000 of them.

Dave.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 06:46:21 am »
If someone think that this quality is just same as original Hewlett-Packard made calculator he maybe disappoint.
These are only "looks like" cheap copy.  I have many HP original calculators, even 85A with HPIB, and of course 71B with HPIL + HBIB etc. And then lot of these 2x, 3x, 4x models. 6x models I have not anymore becouse one people who collect these want pay so much that I can not answer no.

As I look this video I can easy tell that this is only cheap "looks like" copy. Original HP have never done this kind of keyboard mechanism. I have original U.S.A. stamped 15C. This new 15C key design is different. (and of course daily use becouse it is so handy and I can key in numbers and operators with closed eyes, no need watch if keyboard make contact mistake etc)

I have not seen inside this new but strongly I afraid that inside is some "cheap" bullshit, just as this bullshit "looks like" keyboard.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:54:19 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Lawsen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 06:33:58 pm »
HP sold out HP-15C Kinpo made calculators again and will restock once in awhile in their HP store website.

Offline Lawsen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 07:43:15 pm »

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 04:54:31 pm »
fwiw, it looks like this model is now gone (fully removed, not even an 'out of stock' message) from hp.com

Offline StubbornGreek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 06:31:28 pm »
fwiw, it looks like this model is now gone (fully removed, not even an 'out of stock' message) from hp.com

Thread resurrected, lol. The 15c can be had on Amazon for ~$95
"The reward of a thing well done is to have it done"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 11:10:19 pm »
for now, at least.

my point is that I think the supply is gone and what's in vendor hands is it, with no more new ones being made.

hard to believe hp had the whole link removed without even a 'thanks for all the fish' message or anything ;)

Offline StubbornGreek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 12:49:47 am »
for now, at least.

my point is that I think the supply is gone and what's in vendor hands is it, with no more new ones being made.

hard to believe hp had the whole link removed without even a 'thanks for all the fish' message or anything ;)

Shame if that's true. You sure its not a supply chain problem? Did they announce that it will be discontinued?
"The reward of a thing well done is to have it done"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 02:47:56 am »
Given the "Limited Edition" name, it is hardly surprising!

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 03:01:17 pm »
for now, at least.

Shame if that's true. You sure its not a supply chain problem? Did they announce that it will be discontinued?

I have no inside info other than having JUST bought one a week ago from the hp store, direct; then going back to see if I could get a 2nd for a friend and while the page was there and let you press 'buy now' it would immediately turn to 'out of stock'.  the very next day, all references to that purchase url were REMOVED.  searches to 15c were returned as 'huh?  what?  we have no 15c?  no idea what you are talking about, son!'.  or to that effect.

so, I'm gathering that this was it.  end of run and all of HP's stock is gone.  other vendors bought 1000 of them (I know one of them did) but HP seems to be done with this.

Offline Divasson

• The Calculator Store
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2023, 12:24:12 pm »
Reissued again!!!

HP15C Collector's Edition

Available apparently in July - new production with new processor. Emulator modified to increase memory and programming steps (98 registers/672 steps)

www.thecalculatorstore.com

The following users thanked this post: boB, pdenisowski

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf