Author Topic: Huawei arrest, US-China relations and effect on electronics industry  (Read 43200 times)

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
Re: Huawei arrest, US-China relations and effect on electronics industry
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2018, 11:10:49 am »
Some of the laws US imposes are downright stpid.

I order goods from Mouser say...they ask me to sign of on a non resale to certain proscribed countries.
They even insist on knowing the application into whihc the part will be inbuilt.

Almost enforced industrial espionage,.

I purchase the same part locally ...I can do with it  what ever i want to no questions ask.

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2018, 02:24:58 pm »
Hey, I'm no fan of Trump and the justification for reimposition of sanctions is also suspect, but the charge is that a Chinese firm sold US goods to Iran in spite of those sanctions.  China was within there right to sell Chinese goods to Iran but not US goods.  This isn't hard people.

From the point of few of might makes right it's easy. Fom the point of view that first sale doctrine is the morally correct way to trade it's also easy. From the point of view of contract law it completely depends on the treaties China is party to and which contracts Huawei signed. Even then, breach of contract is hardly something I would expect any civilized nation to perform arrest and extradition for.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2018, 08:29:47 pm »
It's bad enough the US makes it a personal liability crime for a foreign national to be part of a company breaking US sanctions ... for Canada to cooperate with that is elevating the value of US laws to ridiculous level, Trump is truly emperor of the western world I guess.
I'm not a lawyer, but I have work in publicly owned company near "fat city" (ie: executive suite) a bit here and there...

It is pretty typical in the western world that officers of the company are legally responsible for the action of the company - hence they are officers of the company.  It may seem odd at first, but if you think about Bhopal (India) disaster where over 3700 died by actions of a company, you would agree the responsible officers of the company should have some responsibility if the actions were careless or illegal.

Typically for a publicly owned company in the USA, officers are corporate VP level minimum - divisional/subsidiary entities' VP would be liable only to the extend of that division/subsidiary.  In some instances, it extends down to lower level depending on specific role.  For example, you are a grunt working on a buy-out/merger... (you guys are smart here, I don't need to go into the details of how/why there would be legal constrains for one with advance knowledge about pending buy-out/merger).

In the case of CFO/CEO regarding financial statements, after one of the collapses, a new law to more clearly spell out the responsibilities was passed.    [I don't recollect when the law was passed, could have been Enron, or could have been the 2008 collapse].

Yeah, she is the CFO, so if indeed laws were broken, she could be held liable.  It is as yet unclear what exact law she broke because I am reading different things on different news outlets.

[Edit:] added the paragraph about Bhopal disaster that was missed when I first clicked save.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 08:45:27 pm by Rick Law »

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2018, 09:59:23 pm »
And, once again, the very fact that China is playing hardball here should be ringing bells.  I mean, if a Chinese national is arrested for some crime it might be reasonable for China to request justification and perhaps, if they feel its unwarranted, log a protest, but for them to jump the shark and threatened both the US and Canada is ringing that bell all the louder.

Apparently the investigations began back in 2016, before Trump was president, so the types of violations would seem to have been before the Trump admin reinstated sanctions again.  There are nations that are on a prohibited list for a range of products and that goes beyond the sanctions related to there nuclear program.  Back in the 80's Toshiba and the Swedish company Konigsborg (sp?) were prosecuted for providing the then USSR machine tools capable of making more silent Submarine propulsion screws (props). 

So, the aggressiveness that China is engaging in has my bullshit detector going off and I think we're going to learn more before long -- and that is why China wants her back home.

Brian

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2018, 04:20:02 pm »
their like Biff in back to the future. What do you expect?

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2018, 05:17:52 pm »
china has no problems putting American citizens in jail because of their political actions. I think there was a high profile tourist couple with dual citizenship put in jail recently.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2018, 05:28:04 pm »
Yeah, she is the CFO, so if indeed laws were broken, she could be held liable.  It is as yet unclear what exact law she broke because I am reading different things on different news outlets.

If she indeed violated some export laws, most likely she did it in China. US has no jurisdiction in things happening in China.
By your logic, China should put everyone in jail, if they ever participated any anti-communism acts or any other movements against Chinese government, even abroad.
By that definition, half Chinese-Americans living in China should go to jail.
If HuaWei exported products containing US technology, in contravention of the conditions under which they obtained that technology, the only jurisdiction issue the US has is whether they can get their hands on the perpetrator. Any US devices not classified as EAR99 come with strings attached. On more than one occasion senior people from HuaWei have been to the Sstate Department in Washington to personally petition for certain advanced devices to be supplied to them, promising to only use them for purposes approved by the State Department.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2018, 06:52:22 pm »
You mean they always end up in bull's shit?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Wan Huang Luo

• Regular Contributor
  • 顽谎骆 from the Shenzhen Market
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2018, 06:57:02 pm »
"I.... hate manuuuure!"

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2018, 06:59:54 pm »
What i read in a local newspaper it is not about Huawei but a supplier company which the chinese say is a separate entity, but the americans consider it the same Huawei, pointing it is managed and operated by same people, even at employee level. Do not know, fake news are everywhere so taking it with a grain of salt.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2018, 07:05:58 pm »
"I.... hate manuuuure!"

....  brought to you by D. Jones, Manure Hauling

The following users thanked this post: Wan Huang Luo

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2018, 07:12:51 pm »
And by the way, the arrested CFO  owns two houses in Vancouver, Canada. Did not feel safe home in China?

Offline Wan Huang Luo

• Regular Contributor
  • 顽谎骆 from the Shenzhen Market
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2018, 07:18:12 pm »
And by the way, the arrested CFO  owns two houses in Vancouver, Canada. Did not feel safe home in China?
Natch, China up until now loved everything about Canada and many Chinese aspired to own second residences in Canada.
Things now a little more complicated, but I imagine that everything will blow over unless the brinkmen win and make this into a diplomatic menage a trois between the US, Canada and China.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2018, 07:36:38 pm »
How many houses does she have in China?

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2018, 08:47:30 pm »
What i read in a local newspaper it is not about Huawei but a supplier company which the chinese say is a separate entity, but the americans consider it the same Huawei, pointing it is managed and operated by same people, even at employee level. Do not know, fake news are everywhere so taking it with a grain of salt.

Standard practice is to use cutouts to limit prosecution in case they get discovered.  The use of cutouts doesn't actually avoid the crime though it does muddy the waters as to who to go after.

In organized crime prosecution the ring leaders often use underlings (cutouts) to avoid getting there hands dirty, but they can still be prosecuted if they have the evidence that there was coordination from the leadership.

Brian

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2018, 09:42:38 pm »

If she indeed violated some export laws, most likely she did it in China. US has no jurisdiction in things happening in China.
By your logic, China should put everyone in jail, if they ever participated any anti-communism acts or any other movements against Chinese government, even abroad.
By that definition, half Chinese-Americans living in China should go to jail.

So far, I am sure that the law she allegedly broke is Iran trade related but I am not sure which one.  I would like to be able to narrow down to the U.S.C. numbers from official sources to be able to discuss the issue on firm grounds.  Thus far, most news description is merely "violating US Iran Sanction..." or similar which is no help.

But you did raised an interesting point in your reply: "If she indeed violated some export laws, most likely she did it in China. US has no jurisdiction in things happening in China."

The point you raised is the reason I hope whichever law(s) she allegedly broke is one of those laws that re-affirms UN sanction originated from NPT (Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty).  Re-affirm as in "if you break this UN sanction, it is breaking US law".  (I believe) An NPT driven UN sanction should have wide international support since NPT is the most-signed UN treaty.  That would be least disruptive to international trade.  If the law in question is one of those "domestic" US laws but Huawei is constrained by applicable US laws because they have an operation in the USA...  While I can see the rationale behind that, but I think that link would be too tenuous.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2018, 10:46:28 pm »

It is pretty typical in the western world that officers of the company are legally responsible for the action of the company - hence they are officers of the company.  It may seem odd at first, but if you think about Bhopal (India) disaster where over 3700 died by actions of a company, you would agree the responsible officers of the company should have some responsibility if the actions were careless or illegal.

Typically for a publicly owned company in the USA, officers are corporate VP level minimum - divisional/subsidiary entities' VP would be liable only to the extend of that division/subsidiary.  In some instances, it extends down to lower level depending on specific role.  For example, you are a grunt working on a buy-out/merger... (you guys are smart here, I don't need to go into the details of how/why there would be legal constrains for one with advance knowledge about pending buy-out/merger).

In the case of CFO/CEO regarding financial statements, after one of the collapses, a new law to more clearly spell out the responsibilities was passed.    [I don't recollect when the law was passed, could have been Enron, or could have been the 2008 collapse].

[Edit:] added the paragraph about Bhopal disaster that was missed when I first clicked save.

I think that statements from official sounding people in the years after the Bhopal disaster that the now defunct company took responsibility are likely to have been a hoax. 

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2018, 12:37:53 am »

So far, I am sure that the law she allegedly broke is Iran trade related but I am not sure which one.  I would like to be able to narrow down to the U.S.C. numbers from official sources to be able to discuss the issue on firm grounds.  Thus far, most news description is merely "violating US Iran Sanction..." or similar which is no help.

But you did raised an interesting point in your reply: "If she indeed violated some export laws, most likely she did it in China. US has no jurisdiction in things happening in China."

The point you raised is the reason I hope whichever law(s) she allegedly broke is one of those laws that re-affirms UN sanction originated from NPT (Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty).  Re-affirm as in "if you break this UN sanction, it is breaking US law".  (I believe) An NPT driven UN sanction should have wide international support since NPT is the most-signed UN treaty.  That would be least disruptive to international trade.  If the law in question is one of those "domestic" US laws but Huawei is constrained by applicable US laws because they have an operation in the USA...  While I can see the rationale behind that, but I think that link would be too tenuous.

I thought that was what the ICC was for the UN legal system?

Other than being a member of the UN the USA doesn't have jurisdiction other than the Uni Lateral action it takes all to often I suspect. Rubbery charges to an 'alleged' crime of the UN sanctions for extradition to another 'Country' and not to the ICC spells BS and Bluster if they keep pushing UN sanctions.

If she and Huawei are being charged with breaching US laws on exports of goods indirectly headed for Iran then they need to prove it with a fully traceable paper trail of all parts or items. Good luck with 'demanding' Huawei release its Chinese documents to the USA.

If the USA is going to use a really rubbery link in that Huawei has Businesses in the USA and another corporate entity exported 'product' (not necessarily of USA origin or even exported from the USA) so your 'company' is guilty of breaking USA sanctions on imports to Iran banning export of anything to Iran. This is so thin it will break.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline edyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2018, 01:53:28 am »
the retaliation begins

https://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-hit-with-iphone-sales-ban-in-china-qualcomm-says-1544450774

but why only older models? surely they can find reasons to also ban everything else fruity totally?

This seems to be more of an Apple vs. Qualcomm issue as they are fighting each other around the globe regarding patent infringements and payments for the privilege of using certain chips in devices. However, it was expected China would look the other way and not accept Qualcomm's argument.... allowing iPhones to still be sold. Perhaps the latest tensions of trade and Huawei tainted the judgement here and they favored a win for Qualcomm to stifle Apple iPhone sales.

As you noted, it only affects older phones and it is unlikely that it can really be enforced as there is a healthy market within and outside of China where there are plenty of people who are moving these devices around, refurbishing, etc. I am not sure how Qualcomm is going to stop it and how. What you need is Chinese military blockade of Foxconn stopping all new iPhones from being made in their factory. Then Apple can move manufacturing back to the USA and charge $2000 for their next model.... oh wait, we're already paying that:

https://vancouversun.com/technology/personal-tech/canadians-pricing-for-new-iphones-range-from-1029-to-1999

:-DD
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:56:17 am by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2018, 02:10:03 am »

I thought that was what the ICC was for the UN legal system?

Other than being a member of the UN the USA doesn't have jurisdiction other than the Uni Lateral action it takes all to often I suspect. Rubbery charges to an 'alleged' crime of the UN sanctions for extradition to another 'Country' and not to the ICC spells BS and Bluster if they keep pushing UN sanctions.

If she and Huawei are being charged with breaching US laws on exports of goods indirectly headed for Iran then they need to prove it with a fully traceable paper trail of all parts or items. Good luck with 'demanding' Huawei release its Chinese documents to the USA.

If the USA is going to use a really rubbery link in that Huawei has Businesses in the USA and another corporate entity exported 'product' (not necessarily of USA origin or even exported from the USA) so your 'company' is guilty of breaking USA sanctions on imports to Iran banning export of anything to Iran. This is so thin it will break.

re: "I thought that was what the ICC was for the UN legal system?"

Not all UN member nations recognize the authority of the ICC - only 123 signed.  USA is one of the non-signers.  However, all 198 nations that signed the NPT (by signing) declared their willingness to comply by the treaty's rules of adjudication and punishment.  Absence more signatures or withdrawals, ICC would be able to handle situations with only 62% of the NPT nations.

NPT is the Treaty with the most signatories, so, it would be mathematically impossible to find "another UN authority" that covers every NPT nations (except of course the General Assembly which is everyone in the UN, and probably what most people consider as the UN).

re: "If the USA is going to use a really rubbery link in that Huawei has Businesses in the USA and another corporate entity exported 'product' (not necessarily of USA origin or even exported from the USA) so your 'company' is guilty of breaking USA sanctions on imports to Iran banning export of anything to Iran. This is so thin it will break."

I agree with you.  That is why I said earlier I hope the law she allegedly broke trace itself back to the NPT (which implies it trace back to a UN sanction).  That is the most solid, most agreed-to, least complication and would not add as much international tension.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 02:15:56 am by Rick Law »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2018, 02:32:37 am »
QC tried to mess with Chinese government before, and it learned that being submissive is the only way to live in China, the hard way.
China played off QC against MTK, and won.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2018, 02:39:46 am »

Not all UN member nations recognize the authority of the ICC - only 123 signed.  USA is one of the non-signers.  However, all 198 nations that signed the NPT (by signing) declared their willingness to comply by the treaty's rules of adjudication and punishment.  Absence more signatures or withdrawals, ICC would be able to handle situations with only 62% of the NPT nations.

NPT is the Treaty with the most signatories, so, it would be mathematically impossible to find "another UN authority" that covers every NPT nations (except of course the General Assembly which is everyone in the UN, and probably what most people consider as the UN).

Thanks. Not surprising the USA hasn't signed this one along with all the others that give the UN some power to act.  ::)

Wonder when the USA will pay the UN the money they have owed for a few decades too but I am sure non compliance with a UN agreement isn't and issue in this case 'because reasons' :box:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2018, 03:04:37 am »

Thanks. Not surprising the USA hasn't signed this one along with all the others that give the UN some power to act.  ::)

Wonder when the USA will pay the UN the money they have owed for a few decades too but I am sure non compliance with a UN agreement isn't and issue in this case 'because reasons' :box:

What money does the USA owe to the UN -- care to elaborate?

From Wikipedia...

The United States of America is a charter member of the United Nations and one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council.

The United States is host to the headquarters of the United Nations, which includes the usual meeting place of the General Assembly in New York City, the seat of the Security Council and several bodies of the United Nations. The United States is the largest provider of financial contributions to the United Nations, providing 22 percent of the entire UN budget in 2017 (in comparison the next biggest contributor is Japan with almost 10 percent, while EU countries pay a total of above 30 percent).[1] From July 2016 to June 2017, 28.6 percent of the budget used for peacekeeping operations was provided by the United States.[2] The United States had a pivotal role in establishing the UN.

Brian

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2018, 03:33:18 am »
The 'arrears' are fairly minor by nation standards but it is a matter of politics why it doesn't get paid. Seems how you want to quote wikipedia use this link and scroll to the section on Arrears https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_and_the_United_Nations It goes to hypocrisy selective (self interested) adherence and demands of adherence by others of the UN decisions and mandates or agreements.

Perhaps read the entire page as it is mostly balanced fair commentary on the relationship between the USA and UN and not driven by 'fake news'

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2018, 03:53:33 am »
The 'arrears' are fairly minor by nation standards but it is a matter of politics why it doesn't get paid. Seems how you want to quote wikipedia use this link and scroll to the section on Arrears https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_and_the_United_Nations It goes to hypocrisy selective (self interested) adherence and demands of adherence by others of the UN decisions and mandates or agreements.

Perhaps read the entire page as it is mostly balanced fair commentary on the relationship between the USA and UN and not driven by 'fake news'

OK, the US is the largest contributer and the the nation most in arrears.  Part of the argument made by the US is that the amount to US pays is too high and, not surprisingly, not many other UN nations wish to change that.  This argument isn't new and goes back more than three decades so if there was going to be a reallocation of expenditures it should have happened by now.  India, for example, pays less than 1% even though they have 17% of the worlds population.  In fairness, however, the charge should be weighed against income as well so first world nations like the USA should expect to pay more than population figures would indicate. 

So I guess we're left with a chicken and egg situation where until the percentages are redone to be more equitable then you probably shouldn't hold your breath waiting for the USA to pay up.

Brian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf