Author Topic: I bought a BM235 and im a bit disappointed.  (Read 1135 times)

Offline MrBondTopic starter

• Contributor
I bought a BM235 and im a bit disappointed.
« on: December 02, 2023, 01:49:30 pm »
I bought a BM235 last night after i finally decided that a good meter is the way to go. Now, it works fine and for the most part it looks good.

After playing with it for a bit i turned on the backlight and noticed a spec on the screen, you can only see it with the back light on and it's not such a big deal, but im not a rich man and paying £98 for a multimeter is not something i would usually do.

This being said im a bit disappointed in the quality control and was expecting more from Brymen and all the good things I've heard about them over the years.

Im sure it's a great meter that will serve me well for years to come, however i can't help but wonder if the imperfection im seeing will affect the screen or expand in size in the future.

Is this something that usually happens? It kinds sucks having it happen when £15 amazon meters didn't ever have such issues.

Can i buy a replacement screen from anywhere?

Thanks.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: I bought a BM235 and im a bit disappointed.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 01:58:50 pm »
Are you sure this is not simply a speck of dirt sitting on top of the screen?

If so, then the display longevity wouldn't be affected.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 02:00:00 pm »
Are you sure this is not simply a speck of dirt sitting on top of the screen?

Which, for clarification, is not the window you're touching from outside.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 02:03:27 pm »
Certain. It's clearly an imperfection with the screen, as it's not seen while the screen is not lit, the only way to see it while the screen is dark is with a flashlight at an angle of around 80°

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 02:40:12 pm »

Can i buy a replacement screen from anywhere?

given your budget, I'd take a closer look inside
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 02:42:02 pm »
I mean, im not poor, but obviously £100 is not nothing.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 03:16:24 pm »
That looks like a speck of dust/dirt either on the polycarbonate window inside of the case or the LCD itself. Take the meter apart and check, that should be pretty trivial to clean up. Shouldn't happen but given that these meters aren't made in a dust-free clean room, it cannot be completely excluded. Such things can slip through the final QA too.

If it was an LCD defect I would expect it to have dark/black color, not this brownish one.

If you want a replacement, either of the LCD or the entire meter, you can always ask Dave (given that it is his meter) for a warranty claim.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 03:19:30 pm by janoc »

The following users thanked this post: Dan123456

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 03:24:16 pm »
Looks pressfit, not really willing to dig it out so I'll just live with it. The point is that when you spend a considerable amount of money on something you don't expect to take it out and fix it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 03:29:54 pm by MrBond »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 03:33:15 pm »
I'm 99% sure it's held by plastic hooks and can be taken apart.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023, 03:35:22 pm »
Im 100% sure i shouldn't fix something i bought. Also, not really kin on risking damaging the lcd without knowing where to get a replacement 1st.

Offline Dan123456

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2023, 03:43:00 pm »
If you bought it new, just go back asking for them to swap it for a new one (either screen or the whole DMM)  :)

While it does suck to have things come with defects, shit happens every now and then and I like to judge a company based on how they respond to that  :)

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2023, 03:43:47 pm »
If you want a replacement, either of the LCD or the entire meter, you can always ask Dave (given that it is his meter) for a warranty claim.

Wouldn't bother with the whole unit, but i would like a new display. How would i get in touch with him?

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2023, 03:45:43 pm »
Well, im not even sure who that company is? Obviously those are branded with Dave's trademark, produced by Brymen and sold in uk by a 3rd party. Not even sure who to get in touch with.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2023, 03:53:07 pm »
Assuming you bought it from Dave directly, that means Dave is the retailer, so in consumer law, Dave is responsible, not Brymen.  Send @EEVBlog a PM or eevblog.official@gmail.com for store support.

If you bought it from a local distributor, reach out to them.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2023, 09:02:27 pm »

Wouldn't bother with the whole unit, but i would like a new display. How would i get in touch with him?

Dave has a contact directly on the website and you have certainly received an e-mail from him when you have bought the meter.

https://eevblog.store/policies/refund-policy

If you have bought it via Amazon then Amazon will be your first contact for warranty claims.

If you have bought it via some reseller in the UK then you have to deal with that reseller and ask them for replacement/warranty repair or refund. It is always the seller you have bought it from handling the warranty claims, not Dave (he is only a reseller himself) or Brymen. That's how the consumer protection laws work.

You probably won't be able to get only a display for a warranty claim. Service like that is not practical - stocking random parts for a 100€ meter on the off chance that someone will want them is just not economical. And given that it is a warranty claim the seller would be legally and commercially on a thin ice. E.g. would you honor further warranty if the customer screws up the installation of something that clearly isn't meant to be user serviced? That's just not worth it for a cheap product like this.

If it is a genuine defect there should be no issue with replacing the entire meter.

(Of course, I assume you have bought a new meter from an official reseller, not a second hand used product somewhere on eBay or some auction. In that case you would be completely on your own as those may not even be warrantied at all ...)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 09:11:10 pm by janoc »

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2023, 05:43:42 am »
Don't complain. At least the meter came with some specs at no extra charge. :palm:

Joke aside, most manufacturers have means of preventing dust. Clean rooms, dust filers, static neutralisers etc.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2023, 08:11:48 pm »
Don't complain. At least the meter came with some specs at no extra charge. :palm:

Joke aside, most manufacturers have means of preventing dust. Clean rooms, dust filers, static neutralisers etc.

Sorry but nobody is assembling low cost multimeters in a clean room ...  :palm: Probably the most you can hope for are some filters in the HVAC. We are not talking NASA space probe assembly but a 100 buck meter here.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf