Author Topic: Naomi SexyCyborg Wu's Patreon Shut Down by VICE  (Read 58374 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Naomi SexyCyborg Wu's Patreon Shut Down by VICE
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2018, 11:57:54 pm »
Yes, that's what we need! A poll about what the predominantly male visitors of an engineering forum think of the attractiveness of a specific female.  :palm:

There's no accounting for taste, and certainly not for hormones. Let's show some restraint.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:03:57 am by Mr. Scram »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, thm_w, Dubbie, CJay, newbrain, Technobabble_, Elasia

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2018, 12:06:31 am »
Yes, that's what we need! A poll about what the predominantly male visitors of an engineering forum think of the attractiveness of a specific female.  :palm:

No kidding.  Isn't there a subforum on 4chan for sh*t like this?

The following users thanked this post: Elasia

Offline NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2018, 12:26:39 am »
Even in the videos where she dressed quite modestly (e.g. her signature "work clothes"), she's about as good looking as Joanne Chiang. The "showing off" at times is really to add to the uniqueness and gain some extra views.

I'm not very much into gaming, but I presume somewhere out there is a gamer girl who wears a bikini during gaming streams. Especially since a competitive gaming machine heats up the room a lot.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2018, 12:57:12 am »
No kidding.  Isn't there a subforum on 4chan for sh*t like this?
I honestly don't want to know. No really, I don't.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2018, 01:36:51 am »
her video's are the most distracting technical videos i've ever seen, its identity crisis.
Who expects excellent engineering videos from someone who's primarily an artist? You're probably looking for Micah Elizabeth Scott if you want engineering first, art second.
So you publicly admitting that all those payment you've paid to her, and like this thread creation are purely for bikini art performance instead of technical matter ?  :-DD

On the upside: at least NiHaoMike chooses which artists he likes to support. Over here tax money gets used to support all kind of artists which would otherwise be forced to get real jobs.

There's Art  & "Art " !
Real artists were doing "engineering type stuff" before Engineering was a recognised discipline.

Cellini, Michelangelo, the immortal Da Vinci, & many others produced massive bronze statues which required serious knowledge of metallurgy, casting methods, accurate measurement, & so on.

Da Vinci is claimed by Artists as an Artist, & by Engineers as an Engineer!

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, petert

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2018, 02:01:35 am »
There's Art  & "Art " !
Real artists were doing "engineering type stuff" before Engineering was a recognised discipline.

Cellini, Michelangelo, the immortal Da Vinci, & many others produced massive bronze statues which required serious knowledge of metallurgy, casting methods, accurate measurement, & so on.

Da Vinci is claimed by Artists as an Artist, & by Engineers as an Engineer!
The ancient Greeks we call philosophers were also called that because the term and concept of a scientist wasn't a thing back then. I dislike that engineering has become about just dry, functional matters. Look at almost any product on sale today and you see that concept, design and emotion are a large part of what makes or breaks it.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2018, 05:25:56 am »
I dislike that engineering has become about just dry, functional matters. Look at almost any product on sale today and you see that concept, design and emotion are a large part of what makes or breaks it.
In senior design class, it becomes obvious through unreliable/nonworking projects that there's a huge gap between they teach in the major and what is needed to make a robust, working product.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2018, 05:30:31 am »
In senior design class, it becomes obvious through unreliable/nonworking projects that there's a huge gap between they teach in the major and what is needed to make a robust, working product.

Teaching can never make an expert, nor even a competent person. Only learning can do that, and learning has to be done by the student, not the teacher. It may even be that the time allotted during a period of formal education is insufficient even for good students to learn the material thoroughly. So the learning even of fundamentals must be continued after graduation.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, petert

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2018, 07:31:11 am »
Teaching can never make an expert, nor even a competent person. Only learning can do that, and learning has to be done by the student, not the teacher. It may even be that the time allotted during a period of formal education is insufficient even for good students to learn the material thoroughly. So the learning even of fundamentals must be continued after graduation.
And that's the role of online television nowadays. As far as practical engineering TV goes, I think Micah Elizabeth Scott has done the best at demonstrating how to design a finished product that includes mechanical design, electronics, and programming. She does, however, jump right into advanced programming and a beginner definitely will not be able to keep up.

Naomi did some tutorials on how to do 3D design, including at least one which is even work safe. April Wilkerson and Laura Kampf do well to show how to make good looking stuff in a machine shop. Jeri Ellsworth did a lot of electronics stuff but hasn't been active in a long time. And I already mentioned three models who enjoy building PCs in an earlier post. The theme is clear: good looks do make content more enjoyable.

The following users thanked this post: jm_araujo

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2018, 10:39:43 am »
I don't consider her a beautiful woman. Skinny, with non existing buttocks and disproportional head an breasts. Sexy? Perhaps. I can see the reasons for arousing some guys.

Alexander.
It does not matter how it looks, important is what's in his head  :-+

Yes, I've also considered that, but judging from the 3d print test video I think it is not.
Or if you mean the guy that writes her script yes, very important.

Or if it is a typo (what it probably is) then I should shut up and go to bed. lol  :=\
yes it's a typo, it's supposed to be written "her" (I fixed it yesterday when I wrote it)I think she works for herself, hand skills and thinking you do not learn - I see it daily at work - I've trained a lot of people and some are just not learning to think technically and they're just guys(Again, sorry for my English - not good)
Everything works as the weakest link in the chain

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2018, 03:24:47 pm »
Jeri Ellsworth did a lot of electronics stuff but hasn't been active in a long time.

Yep. I don't know which will come first, HalfLife 3 or her next video.

I'm sure Jeri is still doing a lot of electronic stuff, and I'm sure she is still very active. Oh, you meant she hasn't been producing videos for you to watch? That's not the same thing at all. Jeri has probably been concentrating more on her personal goals for career advancement and less on your needs for having something cool to watch for free on YouTube  :P

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2018, 03:42:37 pm »
I'm sure Jeri is still doing a lot of electronic stuff, and I'm sure she is still very active. Oh, you meant she hasn't been producing videos for you to watch? That's not the same thing at all. Jeri has probably been concentrating more on her personal goals for career advancement and less on your needs for having something cool to watch for free on YouTube  :P
Last I checked, she's in the US and should have no problem accepting Bitcoin.

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2018, 11:37:53 am »
I'm not very much into gaming, but I presume somewhere out there is a gamer girl who wears a bikini during gaming streams. Especially since a competitive gaming machine heats up the room a lot.

Dave: "Repairing this oscilloscope with a hot-air-station is quite exhausting. Better take off my shirt."  :-DD

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2018, 12:55:33 pm »

Dave: "Repairing this oscilloscope with a hot-air-station is quite exhausting. Better take off my shirt."  :-DD
:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Sexploitation of Dave...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2018, 02:19:38 am »
Now that I remember, maybe Naomi could host the successor to The Ben Heck Show? Element 14 already has presence in China and they can easily get a lot of good advertising worldwide. Not sure how well donations fit into their business model but they could implement it as "pay what you want" for project plans and other downloadable materials.

It's all fun and games until someone get a splash of hot and/or caustic substance. Even her modest "work" outfit wasn't quite enough, but she was fine.

Offline Yellofriend

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2018, 08:48:06 am »
Just wondering, is she real? Or is she so to speak a by somebody created figure that simply acts, like The Sex Pistols, or Milli Vanilli?

Not saying that is anything bad. Just wondering.
--------------
TVM802C - now with OpenPnP
T962A

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2018, 12:53:52 pm »
Just wondering, is she real?

I think the internet police got it right. If you check this Reddit post look at the image timaz posted of his apartment it has some of the same furniture (like 5 or 6 different pieces) that Naomi has in her videos.  It's clear that timaz was a guru (and clearly a neat freak) in 3D printing circles. She (or he depending which way you look at it) also confessed it's a manufactured persona.

So it's not hard to come to the conclusion after reading the Vice article (snippet below) that she is in fact married to a guy who does the same work shes promoting, and by married means living with, and by living with you can assume it's not just her workshop. Unless two workshops per apartment in the "lounge" is a common thing in Shenzen.

"I saw that video where you say you're [name redacted’s] wife—and I'd like to discuss the unfairness of assuming a woman receives help, just because her partner works/worked in a similar industry."
Note: This was published after Naomi/Timaz started attacking Vice.

The only thing wrong with the whole thing is her doxxing Vice and giving off the impression it's all her work (if it's not). This would have her sponsors and contributors both deceived if true.

Just a theory but perhaps this is why she/he is trying to present a fake name and alias and hit out hard when it looked like the husbands identity could be revealed. The Make CEO retracted his statement calling her fake. But it looks like shame/dox game didn't work with Vice and instead backfired.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Yellofriend

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2018, 01:54:53 pm »
@Shock
Thanks for the info. Don't take so serious. The Sex Pistols were a puppet boy group, and still somehow cool. And anyway, I just look at her dress, or the lack thereof.
--------------
TVM802C - now with OpenPnP
T962A

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2018, 02:32:33 pm »
Not saying that is anything bad. Just wondering.

This was questioned before, particularly in the Make magazine thread, as if she has someone to create everything and she only presents them. It seems this is not the case, though nobody is 100% sure.

I believe she has admitted she has someone vet/write/translate her posts. Her PM's to me have been lengthy and grammatically perfect English, practically native speaker level. So someone is helping out on that front, and that's probably wise.
As for her doing the stuff, I haven't really seen enough to comment, but I am lead to believe she has done lots of live stuff so does appear to have some legit skills. IIRC Bunnie said she had decent entry level skills.

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #144 on: April 10, 2018, 02:42:15 pm »
I believe she has admitted she has someone vet/write/translate her posts. Her PM's to me have been lengthy and grammatically perfect English, practically native speaker level. So someone is helping out on that front, and that's probably wise.
As for her doing the stuff, I haven't really seen enough to comment, but I am lead to believe she has done lots of live stuff so does appear to have some legit skills. IIRC Bunnie said she had decent entry level skills.
It's quite common to have people help you with the logistics of your operation. The most popular Youtubers often have editors to edit their videos, people dealing with communication or writing or other support staff on hand. Some have complete crews working on the channel. Granted, even more are one man bands but it's certainly not unique.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2018, 03:02:18 pm »
Whats wrong with dave jones swinging an iec cable laso around shirtless??
Obviously a cyborg

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2018, 09:45:55 am »
Whats wrong with dave jones swinging an iec cable laso around shirtless??

We've seen him shirtless once.

I think that's enough.

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2018, 11:51:01 pm »
Only slightly related but this lady knows how to avoid publishing content that harms the subject - let the subject review the content before making it public:

The content itself:

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2018, 01:32:16 am »
Only slightly related

Not related at all, it's just you trying to promote your BDD agenda or whatever the reason you keep name dropping Naomi Wu and Tiffany Yep all the time and came back to bump this week old thread.

The subject line of this topic is totally inaccurate  if you follow the real story and chain of events. Wu's still going militant on his/her twitter like they did nothing to cause the whole situation in the first place. The whole thing smacks of someone that thought they could man shame Vice and really screwed up big time.

What I'd personally like to see is instead of Naomi trying to hog the limelight selling her body image to gullible and impressionable minds, how about we start promoting some real woman in electronics. By real I mean not gender transitioning men (who seem to have fine representation), instead a higher proportion of the 50% female population who have no cosmetic surgery. You know, like normal folk that won't make teenage girls/boys think they need to disfigure themselves to get ahead.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:33:50 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: DJbarro, petert

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2018, 03:00:43 am »
Not related at all, it's just you trying to promote your BDD agenda or whatever the reason you keep name dropping Naomi Wu and Tiffany Yep all the time and came back to bump this week old thread.

The subject line of this topic is totally inaccurate  if you follow the real story and chain of events. Wu's still going militant on his/her twitter like they did nothing to cause the whole situation in the first place. The whole thing smacks of someone that thought they could man shame Vice and really screwed up big time.
Related in that what apparently started or was at least a big contributor to the whole problem was the magazine not allowing the subject to review the content before it goes public. Rinoa did let the subject review the content, even though that had the disadvantage of a big delay. (Compromise: Give a reasonable deadline where if no comment is made by then, interpret it as OK to release.)
What I'd personally like to see is instead of Naomi trying to hog the limelight selling her body image to gullible and impressionable minds, how about we start promoting some real woman in electronics. By real I mean not gender transitioning men (who seem to have fine representation), instead a higher proportion of the 50% female population who have no cosmetic surgery. You know, like normal folk that won't make teenage girls/boys think they need to disfigure themselves to get ahead.
She welcomes "competition" although there apparently isn't anyone else interested in doing that quite yet. There's Joanne Chiang who is more or less on par in terms of looks (but is not excessively skinny) but doesn't do very much DIY other than building PCs. There's also CaitlinV3 who is similar but does often DIY custom parts for PCs.

What do you mean by "real woman"? More focus on intelligence/skills? Micah Elizabeth Scott easily wins that. In fact, she often jumps directly into advanced programming and loses the majority of the potential audience who are not able to follow work so advanced. Her popularity? About 1/20th that of Naomi. It's clear the majority prefer to watch a "model" doing something they can probably can do themselves as opposed to watch a "professor" work on something they can't. I don't see a solution to that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf