Author Topic: I hate Telstra  (Read 11397 times)

Offline gnifTopic starter

• Administrator
I hate Telstra
« on: June 09, 2013, 02:16:17 am »
As many of you would already be aware of, I am a professional server administrator working from home. As such my internet connection is critical to my operation. For the past 5 years I have been submitting an ADSL2 upgrade request to Telstra in the hopes that either they would upgrade their hardware, or someone stopped using their ADSL and freed up a port.

Now this is the part that bugs the crap out of me... A friend moved into a place that is less then 4kms from me, and got ADSL2+ on the spot, no questions asked. You might say that this is because he is closer to a different exchange, etc... but no, there is only one Exchange for our area being in the Blue Mountains. The only difference I can figure is that he lives in the more expensive area where all the politicians live, or it is because he went with Bigpond.

So basically I have two questions:

1) Is Telstra allowed to reserve ADSL2+ ports for their own ISP? My ISP is reselling Telstra, but is not Telstra.
2) Any suggestions on how to get my ADSL2+ other then playing port lotto?

Offline justanothercanuck

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing retro repairs...
Re: I hate Telstra
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 02:34:10 am »
Being a reseller, in Canada at least...  you're basically at the mercy of the incumbent.

Can't switch to cable?
Maintain your old electronics!  If you don't preserve it, it could be lost forever!

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 02:40:24 am »
Being a reseller, in Canada at least...  you're basically at the mercy of the incumbent.

Can't switch to cable?
Not available in my area, only ADSL. There is a national broadband network (NBN) rolling out that brings fibre to the house, but my area does not even have a scheduled deployment date, which means that it will be many years before we see it.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 04:36:29 am »
Have you searched for providers that can guarantee an ADSL2+ account? I'm guessing you may look "worthwhile" to them.
All these companies have reserved stuff for "important" clients. Once you sign up, do the old switcheroo, and keep the line.
I've had to do it on a few occasions over the last 2 yrs. If they catch on, they get narky though ! Been there too :-)
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 04:58:49 am »
I hate James May.

He is a juvenile, one-dimensional, unintelligent and boring prat who just dribbles crap. Ever tried to watch Man Lab or that comatose wino show that has him getting pissed at various exotic locations (the nature of which he remains completely oblivious to) with his equally stupid, boring and uninsightful buddy? Absolute torture.

That was probably a bit off topic.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:03:54 am by GK »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 05:54:03 am »
I hate James May.

Does he work for Telstra?

If you are really desperate you could sign up for Telstra and then switch back to another provider later on. Obviously a cost in this.
I don't think Telstra could have this sort of conspiracy, they are too big with too many disgruntled employees.
I'm in the backblocks of Tassie but I have ADSL2 and just recently got Internode to take over the whole thing. 12 m/bits second. So I can't see what the problem is, maybe you had some bad luck and your friend jumped the queue.

ps. They are rolling out NBN fibre down our street.  Nice.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 06:00:56 am »
Also in the backblocks of Tassie, NBN is rumoured to start rollout down my street./highway his time next year. Until then, it's ADSL2 (just) with dropouts twice a night and just damn slow the rest of the time.

I used to do admin stuff from home and used to complain about the speed of my 30 Mb cable, I'd hate to have to have done it via ADSL.

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 07:08:53 am »
Also in the backblocks of Tassie, NBN is rumoured to start rollout down my street./highway his time next year. Until then, it's ADSL2 (just) with dropouts twice a night and just damn slow the rest of the time.

I used to do admin stuff from home and used to complain about the speed of my 30 Mb cable, I'd hate to have to have done it via ADSL.

Well since most of the admin stuff I do is via SSH, the only thing that matters is latency, but the odd time that I have to download a Linux ISO or use a KVM where I have to present an ISO to boot from is a nightmare. I often have to reconnect to the KVM multiple times because it times out waiting for my slow ADSL upload.

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 07:14:36 am »
Yeah and when you call their 24/7 line you get a foreign operator, more reason NOT to use Telstra if you can avoid them

Offline rkupka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 09:13:53 am »
As many of you would already be aware of, I am a professional server administrator working from home. As such my internet connection is critical to my operation. For the past 5 years I have been submitting an ADSL2 upgrade request to Telstra in the hopes that either they would upgrade their hardware, or someone stopped using their ADSL and freed up a port.

Now this is the part that bugs the crap out of me... A friend moved into a place that is less then 4kms from me, and got ADSL2+ on the spot, no questions asked. You might say that this is because he is closer to a different exchange, etc... but no, there is only one Exchange for our area being in the Blue Mountains. The only difference I can figure is that he lives in the more expensive area where all the politicians live, or it is because he went with Bigpond.

1) Is Telstra allowed to reserve ADSL2+ ports for their own ISP? My ISP is reselling Telstra, but is not Telstra.

As a telco network professional, I can only tell you that if your distance from the exchange is greater than 2,5 - 3 km, be glad you can have plain ADSL. Your friend got ADSL2+ only because he's probably much closer to the node. There are zillion things that may make it unfeasible, but it is very unlikely that the reason is "ADSL2+ port unavailable".

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 09:19:51 am »
^ yeah.

As someone who really stretches the string between the tins, ask yourself if the grass is greener.

iratus parum formica

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 09:53:18 am »
What is you current connection? ADSL up to 6 Mbps? What is the distance of your nearest DSLAM?

Is there a line of sight with your friends house? :D :D :D

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 10:13:18 am »

As a telco network professional, I can only tell you that if your distance from the exchange is greater than 2,5 - 3 km, be glad you can have plain ADSL. Your friend got ADSL2+ only because he's probably much closer to the node. There are zillion things that may make it unfeasible, but it is very unlikely that the reason is "ADSL2+ port unavailable".

I guess you have not looked at the wholesaler telstra spreadsheets that list that there are no more ports available for Katoomba?

State: NSW
Site Name: Katoomba
Exchange Service Area Code: KTBA
MDF Code: KTBA01
ISAM ports capable of a maximum of 20Mbps: 292
Additional ports capable of a maximum of 20Mbps: 0
Additional ports capable of a maximum of 8Mbps: 183
Total ports available: 475

Edit: Is it possible to get this ISAM service? Never heard of it until now.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:20:26 am by gnif »

Offline rkupka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 10:44:15 am »
ISAM... it's usually a box with dozens of card slots and there's a mixture of ADSL2+ and old ADSL cards, usually 16 -32 ports per card. 2 years ago, the majority of our cards were ADSL, but now we replaced them with ADSL2+ with power/spectrum manageability which let us install more faster ADSL2+ services (incl. triple play services)... It´s a matter of demand and revenue return for every ISP... so... keep asking Telstra.... they might eventually upgrade some cards. And Im sure they will, as their technology vendor phase out the old ADSL parts and offer them only ADSL2+.... Patience.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 10:49:10 am »
Edit: Is it possible to get this ISAM service? Never heard of it until now.

Might be worth asking this question over at whirlpool.net.au, someone there is sure to know the answer.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 10:51:26 am »
I'm about 7km away from the exchange with adsl2+ and get a crappy 3.5-4Mbps. My brother, who lives in a different exchange area gets around 20Mbps with just adsl.

I don't remember what the actual speed was when I changed to adsl2 but remember thinking "Is this it?!?!"

Offline rkupka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 10:53:44 am »
7km away ? You are pretty lucky you've got the service at all. We usually cancel orders if the distance is above 5.5km.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 11:33:48 am »
At work it is 297m to the exchange, which is where the DSLAM is. Cable is 60m of PVC copper ( I installed it along with the telco techs to the street joint when the original lead cable finally died) then from there it is 30m of paper sleeved copper to the first street frame in a basement ( and it has been pulled out of the 3M punch blocks as they are flaky and prone to going intermittent) and from there it goes in another paper sleeved copper in lead cable to the exchange. All the cable aside from the last bit by me is 80 plus years old. At least it can do 4Mb ADSL, which is the most you can get from Telkom.

At home 1Mb with assorted cable ( thankfully no aluminium cable........) and I have a stable SNR of 17dB with 21dB of downstream line attenuation. Not the best but stable and uncapped and unshaped. Importantly not port blocked at all either ( yay I can actually run a mail server if I am crazy, but easier to use the ISP's mail server to forward so the recipients actually get mail and I am not blocked as a spammer) in or out, depending on the account used. Use SAIX and port blocked and shaped to hell and gone, use the uncapped service provider I am with and nothing.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 11:44:01 am »
I did have slight withdrawal symptoms going from 30 Mb cable to (sometimes) 10Mb ADSL2 when I relocated to Tassie.
Fortunately, I don't need a fast connection for work any more (retired) and find the current speed OK.
I might think differently once NBN fibre is available on the doorstep  :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:05:56 pm by GeoffS »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 11:49:43 am »
I have fibre under me, but it is for the cell tower on the roof unfortunately. I did suggest to the installers that they leave a bit of CAT5 cable plugged in and one end lying loose outside, but no dice...........

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 11:36:52 pm »
I'm about 7km away from the exchange with adsl2+ and get a crappy 3.5-4Mbps. My brother, who lives in a different exchange area gets around 20Mbps with just adsl.

I don't remember what the actual speed was when I changed to adsl2 but remember thinking "Is this it?!?!"

ADSL can not do greater then 8Mbps
ADSL2+ upper limit is 20Mbps.

Your brother is on ADSL2+

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 11:38:08 pm »

Offline mickpah

• Regular Contributor
    • Yeti Hacks
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 12:43:54 am »
I'll join here too  no time for Telstra at all - ex government monopoly now a listed company but still basically a  monopoly because they own the copper in the ground.
Worst of both worlds. Totally profit driven and a monopoly

I'm a system admin (doesn't quite cover it) too - my story

Bought new home, check that it had adsl ( saw modem on inspection)
moved in rang Exetel ( my ISP) - Telstra told them not possible in your area ( 4.5 Km )

plugged my modem in  - still had carrier sync light on!

fought telstra for 4 weeks via exetel- no joy

signed up for telstra account - accepted

went back to Exetel with line approval

finally hooked up via exatel

Endless problem with 20 year old copper to the estate we live in despite it being a new area
Really should have reported them to ACCC, but just happy to be on line. Can't wait for the NBN so I don't ever deal with them again

(The men with the green cable have been spotted in street this week )

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 12:44:18 am »

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 12:50:27 am »
^ Yeah I was gonna say, optus advertised ADSL2+ as 24Mb.
At the time I remember reading about so many db attenuation per kilometre or Mbps loss per km and it worked out about right for my distance and average speed

Interesting about adsl 8Mbps limit, he often makes fun of my adsl2+ connection. I'll have to stick it to him now although with his 20Mbps, the jokes still on me

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf