Author Topic: I quit university and now I'm doing a job I love!  (Read 17807 times)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: I quit university and now I'm doing a job I love!
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2017, 12:55:27 pm »
Further comments - analysts are full of shit when it comes to things that don't exist yet.

I am working in a sector dominated by machine learning and usefulness is very hyper-inflated because it brings in revenue. It's another bubble which will burst.

I would have to agree. I think AI will find many uses, but I think much of it will be subtle. Currently AI is a fad that is being hyped to the stratosphere much like the internet was in the early 2000's. Obviously the internet is still around, but the bubble burst and a lot of the hype collapsed.
Internet is not only here but is much more than what was expected from it when that bubble collapsed.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2017, 01:34:57 pm »
Yes and no. If we remove everything of little significance and all the destructive stuff (facebook), it's about the same as what it was in the dot com bust.

Granted the interface is a little more convenient than my old Handspring Treo... ;)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2017, 02:05:50 pm »
Yes and no. If we remove everything of little significance and all the destructive stuff (facebook), it's about the same as what it was in the dot com bust.

Granted the interface is a little more convenient than my old Handspring Treo... ;)
Internet destroyed physical media such as CD's and DVDs, most of the games movies are now delivered via internet rather than physical media. Landline telephone became an addition to internet and not the other way around. Many homes here don't even have a landline telephone anymore. Non food physical sales took a huge hit from e-commerce. Say, most of electronics are sold online. Heck, look at electronic parts, who still buys them from physical stores in serious quantities? Even if I go to such, I order parts through internet and collect them later. Even if you look at physical store, most of it's behind the scenes operations involve internet.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:20:01 pm by wraper »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2017, 04:50:52 pm »

I depends on what you would call "of little significance", but you'd have to pile on an awful lot of things that changed society as a whole to get that definition to work out. The internet has impacted the modern world in almost every aspect big and small the past 15 years. Even politics and international affairs will never be the same again.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2017, 05:40:10 pm »
Yes the Internet changed everything, but in a totally different way than anyone predicted.

The following users thanked this post: Galenbo

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2017, 07:19:53 pm »

Internet destroyed physical media such as CD's and DVDs, most of the games movies are now delivered via internet rather than physical media. Landline telephone became an addition to internet and not the other way around. Many homes here don't even have a landline telephone anymore. Non food physical sales took a huge hit from e-commerce. Say, most of electronics are sold online. Heck, look at electronic parts, who still buys them from physical stores in serious quantities? Even if I go to such, I order parts through internet and collect them later. Even if you look at physical store, most of it's behind the scenes operations involve internet.

Internet hasn't destroyed the physical media. Internet changed the business model of the  corporations decreasing prices of the products. If you realize that having a DVD on a shop is more expensive by the costs of distribution plus the retail's comission besides that the customers have to go to the shop. The final cost ascend to 50% or  70 % more than if you request by e-shop.

I haven't yet found anybody that their PCs or smartphones  are like the Mainframe Terminals, i want to say permanently connected to a server for working with a SO.

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2017, 08:26:43 pm »
On a positive note it keeps that type of person off the market so we don’t have to waste hours on interviewing them :)

Simply i hate these automation systems and their designers:

The last monday, i recieved a letter with an invitation with a psychotechnical test (gamification).

We have recently received your application for the role of Your first job in A****** Technology - Barcelona. We would like to invite you to the first step of our Digital Assessment process.

Pymetrics is a gamified assessment that applies neuroscience & big data to candidate evaluation. The experience consists of 12 neuroscience-based games, and it will take you approximately 25 minutes to complete.

The games measure key cognitive traits & provide a snapshot of a person's unique characteristics.

You will be able to use your mobile app IS on Android & IOS as well as your desktop.

If you are on mobile, please follow ALL the steps below:

1.    Download the Pymetrics mobile app: pymetrics.com/downloads/
2.    Do not register yet!
3.    Before registering on the app, come back to this email and hit the link below (using your mobile device)

IT IS IMPORTANT TO USE THE LINK IN THIS EMAIL FOR YOUR RESULTS TO BE SENT TO US. 

To get started, please click here.

Remember: Unless you already have a Pymetrics account, you will need to create a new account using your email address and create a new password.

Please complete your assessment within 3 days of receiving this invitation.

Next steps

After completing the games, you will get an overview from Pymetrics with your personalized insights. Please, don’t worry about sending these to us, we will get them too, directly from Pymetrics.

If you match at least one of a number of opportunities, we will invite you to the next step. Please note that you only need to complete Pymetrics games once, so if you have done these before (within the last eleven months), please go ahead and click on the link, log in and your results will automatically come through to us.

We would like to thank you again for your interest in A******.

A****** Recruiting

So , i got the Pymetric and i created a false account for training. I completed  the 12 willing test.  Then , i had curiosity and clicked "Click here".Automatically
, I opened the false account with Pymetric.
I thought , these guys won't be such idiots of the sending the results of the test with account false (Not match email neither the names and surname with the offered inscribed). 

6 hours after i recieved a new letter and i confirmed my suspicios: The world is FULL OF THE IDIOTS

Thank you so much for participating in our recruiting journey so far. 

We wish we had better news, but after completing your digital assessment(s), we have decided to pursue other candidates whose backgrounds and potential fit are better aligned with the requirements of this role.

We understand that looking for a new position can be complex, time consuming and sometimes even challenging so we appreciate the time and energy you have invested in us so far. Although we will not be moving forward at this time, we’d like to stay in touch for potential opportunities in the future. Please connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, or Twitter.

We’re continually hiring and our needs change over time, so please keep your information up to date. We may reach out should your profile better fit one of our future opportunities.

Thank you for your interest in A******!

No warning message ,not testing the email neither the names and surnames. THAT IS A TOTAL BOTCHED

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2017, 09:06:55 pm »
To be fair the automation there is a complete copy of the humans who designed it.
Historically some dunce had to run the answers through a spreadsheet.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2017, 10:00:43 pm »
No warning message ,not testing the email neither the names and surnames. THAT IS A TOTAL BOTCHED

I am sorry that you did not get futher with your job application at this company. (Well, maybe it does not matter so much -- you don't seem to consider them as an employer any more after this experience...)  BUT:

It seems to me that the automated test result submission was not "botched", but worked as intended. I assume Pymetrics do not want you to practice under a dummy account, as this would distort your test results. So they analyse the first set of results which you generated on your device. They may even have stored a unique device ID for your mobile or PC in their database now, to prevent you from setting up further practice accounts.

Next time, I recommend using a practice device too, and then connecting from a different device to run and submit your "real" test. This time round, I think the test designers caught you out.  ::)

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2017, 10:55:51 pm »
I'm sure the code was the link they sent.    Use the link and it is done regardless of the device.  Providing the false information may have been an immediate disqualification when the prospective employer got the results and the data didn't match.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 11:00:50 pm by hermit »

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2017, 02:50:34 am »
It's probably just because I'm old and over educated, but I can't imagine working for such a company.  I'd never fill out such an application except as a prank. 

Even at really good companies, HR tends to be a nightmare.  If I wanted a job at a company and didn't already know someone, I'd find out where people who worked there went evenings and weekends and start hanging out there as much as I could.  It might require taking down license plate numbers at the company parking lot and then cruising the night club parking lots, but should not be hard even if a lot of people ride the bus to work.  But you do need to be convincingly capable once you meet someone.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2017, 02:55:48 am »
It's probably just because I'm old and over educated, but I can't imagine working for such a company.  I'd never fill out such an application except as a prank. 

Even at really good companies, HR tends to be a nightmare.  If I wanted a job at a company and didn't already know someone, I'd find out where people who worked there went evenings and weekends and start hanging out there as much as I could.  It might require taking down license plate numbers at the company parking lot and then cruising the night club parking lots, but should not be hard even if a lot of people ride the bus to work.  But you do need to be convincingly capable once you meet someone.
You'd spend endless hours getting into contact with an office drone who can't pull any strings?

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2017, 03:06:40 am »
You'd spend endless hours getting into contact with an office drone who can't pull any strings?

Doesn't take too long to figure out who the tech people are and where they hang out.  When I worked for Amoco in New Orleans,  Cooter Brown's at River Bend was the Friday quitting time destination for the geoscience crowd.  A bit harder if you're older, but by then you should already have personal contacts.

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2017, 03:34:16 am »

Hell, I'd avoid testing too if I were a friggin stalker.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2017, 04:59:52 am »
Getting to know an "office drone" has much better odds of landing a job at a specific company than interviewing with a computer program.  But, hey, lots of people find computer therapists like Eliza helpful.  Personally, I prefer talking to real people.  But I'm an old guy, so I obviously don't know anything.  If I did, I would be young. Right?

The following users thanked this post: R005T3r

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf