Author Topic: I think the stress has been getting to Dave  (Read 13898 times)

Offline StonentTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I think the stress has been getting to Dave
« on: January 25, 2016, 02:50:14 pm »

Must be one of those new fangled metric pints.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: I think the stress has been getting to Dave
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 03:04:43 pm »
Excepting that he doesn't look quite like Dave and is a little too douchey looking, and that Dave's a tea-totaler (as I recall?)...  >:D

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 03:17:15 pm »
Dave's a tea-totaler (as I recall?)...

He was, but as Stonent says he's been under a lot of stress, what with the PICKit 3 problems and the Batteriser folks flinging D cells at his solar panels.
DIY Eurorack Synth: https://lenp.net/synth/

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 03:57:37 pm »
Yes I know that's what I thought made it look more funny.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 05:24:28 pm »
Something tells me if Dave fell off the wagon we would know.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 09:07:25 am »
It was mainly the hair that caught my attention.

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 01:16:32 pm »
The guy in the picture does look a bit like Dave, although younger.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 01:32:18 pm »
Same hair line...

Offline bitshift

• Regular Contributor
  • Too much to learn, too little time
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 04:20:36 pm »
Batteriser folks flinging D cells at his solar panels.

:-DD

Guy in the picture is definitely more douchy looking than Dave though.
"It’s all fun and games until an innocent opamp gets hurt!" - Dave Jones

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 01:23:39 am »
Same hair line...

Must have been before you had your more manly nose installed.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 01:48:05 am »
Hey Dave, I know this is a bit of a personal question, but have you really *never* drank *any* Alcohol at all in your life? Not a drop? Not a sip of beer? A smidgen of liquor? Nothing? I mean, I've even gotten my Mormon friend to taste beer (he's still never had tea though, ever, which is sad to be honest).

You're obviously not Mormon or religious, so it can't be for those reasons. If you've never had any, you can't be an alcoholic. Unless Alcoholism runs in your family and you're just being smart, in which case mad props as that's quite a commitment.

Personally, I could do without the effects of the alcohol, I just really like the taste. Though, the alcohol itself adds to the taste, so you can't do without it. (Nearbeer isn't even close to being the same.)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 01:50:52 am »
Hey Dave, I know this is a bit of a personal question, but have you really *never* drank *any* Alcohol at all in your life? Not a drop? Not a sip of beer? A smidgen of liquor? Nothing? I mean, I've even gotten my Mormon friend to taste beer (he's still never had tea though, ever, which is sad to be honest).

You're obviously not Mormon or religious, so it can't be for those reasons. If you've never had any, you can't be an alcoholic. Unless Alcoholism runs in your family and you're just being smart, in which case mad props as that's quite a commitment.

Personally, I could do without the effects of the alcohol, I just really like the taste. Though, the alcohol itself adds to the taste, so you can't do without it. (Nearbeer isn't even close to being the same.)

I know Dave doesn't drink coffee either, and maybe not tea, but not sure on that one.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 01:52:09 am »
Same hair line...

;D
Actually, many people think I'm losing my hair with the receding hairline. Nothing of the sort, it's just a deep hairline, same as my father had.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 01:54:54 am »
Same hair line...

;D
Actually, many people think I'm losing my hair with the receding hairline. Nothing of the sort, it's just a deep hairline, same as my father had.

It's not like you've got 5-ish years of video documentation of your hairline.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 01:58:23 am »

I said I don't drink alcohol, not that I've never drank it in my life.
There is photo of me drinking a beer after the tough mudder somewhere.

Alcohol is an acquired taste I never acquired, simple as that. It tastes awful, that's why I don't drink it.
I find it strange that many people find that unusual.
Never been drunk in my life even after downing a dozen drinks on my bucks night.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 02:02:46 am »
I know Dave doesn't drink coffee either, and maybe not tea, but not sure on that one.

Correct.
Coffee is another acquired taste I never acquired.
Tea, drinking warm flavoured water, meh.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 02:11:24 am »

Alcohol is an acquired taste I never acquired, simple as that. It tastes awful, that's why I don't drink it.
Never been drunk in my life even after downing a dozen drinks on my bucks night.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense then. I don't find it unusual you don't like the taste, I was just under the impression you had never had any, which *is* unusual.

Personally, I've never bought the "acquired taste" argument. People that have an "acquired taste" are people that don't like the taste of alcohol but like the effects. (These are the people that drink sweet and/or fruity drinks in bars; Cosmos and White Russians, etc.)

You don't like the taste and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 02:15:29 am »

Correct.
Coffee is another acquired taste I never acquired.
Tea, drinking warm flavoured water, meh.

What about iced tea?

Soda is just flavored sweetened water. In fact, all non-dairy based beverages are just flavor and water.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 02:42:22 am »

Yeah my wife can't stand the taste of alcohol or coffee. I once stirred a mug of cocoa for her using the same spoon I used for my coffee and she immediately tasted it and recoiled.
I've tried all the "can't taste the alcohol" drinks on her, and she has the same disgusted face on them all.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 02:57:27 am »
 Oh that's too bad on the coffee spoon in the cocoa thing - I love the mix. At one of my jobs they had instant cocoa packets as well as coffee available - I used to make a packet of cocoa with hot coffee instead of hot water. These days though I have to avoid all sugary drinks so it's just water and unsweetened iced tea for me (those people in the southern US can keep that oversaturated with sugar sweet tea stuff for themselves).
 I dunno about the 'acquired taste' argument. Perhaps. I think I have acquired a taste for certain things but maybe that isn't true - I don't go for the overly fruity or sweet drinks. I can't stand American pisswater beer. Not that I drink regularly any more - I mostly got that out of my system in college. There we drank for the effect - we couldn't afford the good stuff anyway. Once out in the real world, I was lucky to have 1 or 2 on a weekend. I had a whopping 2 beers tonight - one of my coworkers is leaving to take another job so we had a sendoff for him. And that's more beer than I've had in the past month. I'm at the take it or leave it stage of my life, I don't actively seek it out, but if it's offered I'll have one, if there are any good choices. I have entirely too much on hand, but I can't bring myself to pour it out like Dave did - eventually I will drink it, even if it takes a couple of years, or else guests will help drink it up.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 03:05:53 am »
What about iced tea?

Don't like it.

Soda is just flavored sweetened water. In fact, all non-dairy based beverages are just flavor and water.

I don't like warm drinks.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 03:09:00 am »
Okay, that makes a lot more sense then. I don't find it unusual you don't like the taste, I was just under the impression you had never had any, which *is* unusual.

Why you would get that idea I have no idea.

Personally, I've never bought the "acquired taste" argument. People that have an "acquired taste" are people that don't like the taste of alcohol but like the effects. (These are the people that drink sweet and/or fruity drinks in bars; Cosmos and White Russians, etc.)

Many people I know who drink said they didn't like the taste at first, but through peer pressure etc kept drinking it and eventually came to like it. An "acquired taste".
In fact I'm struggling to think of a single person I know who drinks and doesn't like it.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 03:12:38 am »
I've tried all the "can't taste the alcohol" drinks on her, and she has the same disgusted face on them all.

I can quite happily drink the alcoholic drinks that have little or no alcohol taste. But I usually don't for the same reason I don't usually drink soft drinks any more.
If I go to a pub or restaurant and want a drink (and want something other than water) I'll usually order a lemon lime and bitters.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 03:12:54 am »
 Outside of being an actual alcoholic, I don't know why anyone would eat/drink anything they don't like. Alcoholics have been known to down mouthwash and cold medicine just because they contain alcohol - cold medicine especially I find horrible tasting to the point of not wanting to take it even when suffering unless it comes in a pill form. The liquid is just too horrible to contemplate.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 03:16:10 am »
Outside of being an actual alcoholic, I don't know why anyone would eat/drink anything they don't like.

Exactly. And usually when I tell people I don't like the taste of alcohol, coffee, or tea, and that's why I don't drink it, they look at as if I'm some kind of freak  :-//
As if I can't really mean that, and there has to be some other reason like timb assumed.
Of course they'll usually just say "you obviously haven't tried the right ones, just try this one, it's really good, you'll like it" - no, odds are I damn well won't!
The best alcoholic taste I've ever had is simply "tolerable". i.e. I could probably finish the glass just to be social, or I'm dying of thirst and it's better than nothing. Not once have I ever tasted one that would make me want to crave it again, not once. And yes, I've tried a fair amount at the usual social gatherings, not just once.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:20:17 am by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 03:22:47 am »
Also, I don't understand how anyone could drink half dozen drinks or something, I can't drink that much water or some other liquid that I really enjoy.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 03:34:24 am »
 As an adult, with adult responsibilities - I'm not sure either. In college - it was pretty easy, though I limited myself to the weekends only. The business majors and others going for the easy degrees, they did it all week long - now that was nuts.

Maybe in Australia when you get a drink you get a DRINK - the volume of half a dozen drinks at most bars (mixed drinks, not counting beer) in the US wouldn't fill the water container I just finished drinking in the hour or so I've been sitting here vainly trying to keep up with the forum. I drink a LOT of water in a day - this container is just under a liter, though I do always put ice in as well, and even on work days I'll easily drink 2 of those - and at work I have a cup of also just under a liter which I will usually drink at least one of throughout the day. Not to mention the iced tea if we happen to go out for lunch. Yes, this does translate into frequent bathroom trips but I've never been dehydrated and even back in college when I overdid the alcohol I never had a hangover because I trained myself to drink an immense quantity of water before crashing in bed. And when I have blood drawn, they never have problem finding a vein.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 05:12:32 am »
Growing up, I never liked the taste of anything alcoholic.  I didn't like a number of other things either (like lacto-fermented, e.g., green olives).  I don't remember when or why I grew to appreciate these things, though I recall the adoption was gradual, so I consider it to be, what others call, an acquired taste.

Tea's always been fine with me, though I basically never go out of my way to have it.  I like coffee, but the quality varies tremendously: drip is bitter, harsh flavored water, and unpalatable without milk and sugar; naturally, no one ever has espresso on hand, unless you go out of your way to get it for $.  I imagine others react differently.  Many call espresso "too strong", which always seemed strange to me as, that's the point, it's rich with all the good hearty flavors, without being much more of the bitter and unpleasant flavors.  I don't think it's any stronger than many other strongly flavored beverages or foods (although not everyone appreciates a good strong Stout/Porter, either).

Although regarding coffee, I still recoil at my parents' awful drip brew.. :-DD

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 05:45:52 am »
I drink very very rarely, but enjoy a beer or a glass of wine once in a while. But I agree with Dave in that I see no point to drinking more than one or maybe two glasses of wine or two beers in an evening. Small amounts of some drinks are good for cognition for various reasons, but not because of alcohol.

Wine contains resveratrol, which is good for dozens of things - (at least) Beer contains a substance - pyroglutamic acid, that actually counteracts its effects somewhat, its good for the brain.. (its the stuff that makes dried beer sticky, its also used in moisturizing creams)

Tea contains a substance called EGCG that is extremely good for your brain. Green tea helps protect the brain from numerous pro-oxidant substances.

But large amounts of ethyl alcohol are demonstrably neurotoxic!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:43:13 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 06:16:38 am »
I like beer. Always have done. Maybe its got something to do with the fact that I've been drinking my Dad's homebrew since I was about 3 years old  ;D.

I don't drink much beer though. About 1 pint a week on average. I don't get how some people can drink so much; I just don't have enough room in my stomach for it. I drink a lot of water though, and if I do have any beer, it will usually be accompanied by water.

As for coffee, I'm a coffee addict. We recently bought an espresso machine so I've been learning to make things like cappuccinos  :D.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 10:25:25 am »

Many people I know who drink said they didn't like the taste at first, but through peer pressure etc kept drinking it and eventually came to like it. An "acquired taste".
In fact I'm struggling to think of a single person I know who drinks and doesn't like it.

That's what I'm trying to say though. In actuality, when they "acquire the taste" for alcohol, they still don't actually enjoy the taste, instead they enjoy the effects. The reward center of the brain equates the (to them) displeasurable taste with the pleasurable feeling it brings on. So they put up with the taste to get the feeling. That's what people *really* mean when they say that, to them, alcohol was an acquired taste.

Tobacco provides an excellent example of this: Some people genuinely enjoy the taste (cigars are a great example of this) while others don't (cigarette smokers), but do it anyway because of the nicotine.

This is why stuff like Mike's Hard Lemonade and "Wine Coolers" are so popular. (Also Menthol cigarettes.)

Coffee works this way as well. (Only with caffeine.)

Outside of being an actual alcoholic, I don't know why anyone would eat/drink anything they don't like.

Exactly. And usually when I tell people I don't like the taste of alcohol, coffee, or tea, and that's why I don't drink it, they look at as if I'm some kind of freak  :-//
As if I can't really mean that, and there has to be some other reason like timb assumed.

Statistically, you're bound to if not *like the taste* of one of the three (Alcohol, Coffee or Tea), then at least drink it for the effects. That's why I thought it was unusual and wondered if there was a specific reason behind it.

On the flip side, you seem to have plenty of energy and be especially fit, so you're obviously doing something right!

I'm not sure where I got the idea that you didn't drink or all. I think it was the Amp Hour. Thinking about it, there's been several times where Chris has talked about beer and I guess you or he said that you don't drink? In retrospect, it must have been that you don't drink beer. I guess I misheard or assumed.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 11:42:47 am »
Engineers have the knowledge and ability do anything.
We have 100's of ideas floating around in our heads every day
95% of them are ridiculously stupid, too dangerous, illegal or just a really bad idea.
So we try to ignore those and concentrate on the other 5%

Now you know why i don't drink alcohol. Unlike regular people who might wake up in bed with a stranger and have to sneak out, i would wake up with some dangerous device on the workbench, something that once made can never be undone.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 11:50:01 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 01:21:13 pm »
I'm pretty similar to Dave.

I don't drink tea or coffee. I wake up better every day without coffee, I have found too much caffeine early on will just build up a sleep debt and you'll feel the effects later on. Just get a good nights' sleep when possible.

I also very rarely drink alcohol. In fact I didn't drink anything until 21, and I only occasionally (once every couple of months) will have a cider, beer or wine. I don't touch the strong spirits or vodkas, I don't really enjoy the taste, and I never have more than three beers.  I don't like drinking too much, because then I can't drive for 12~24 hours, and I could get a hangover in the morning, and I feel really unsteady... I just don't enjoy being drunk.

It's actually becoming more common and socially acceptable for people not to drink alcohol as a life choice.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2016, 01:44:42 pm »

I'm right with you on that one, Dave!!

Here's something I posted elsewhere:
As for the drunken thing - that's never been even close to a subject of discussion with me ... I don't like beer and, in fact, I have never tasted anything alcoholic that appeals to me.  If there's been after work drinks, I'll be the guy ordering a lemon squash.  Once a boss of mine at the time was buying a round and asked me what I'd like.  When I said "a lemon squash" he repeated my request with incredulity and an expression that looked like he had just eaten a raw onion, so I replied: "I'm here to enjoy a drink with friends.  I'll enjoy a lemon squash."  He got used to it.

Just call me that weird Aussie.

Seems I'm not that weird after all.

The best alcoholic taste I've ever had is simply "tolerable". i.e. I could probably finish the glass just to be social....

The most I have ever consumed in one sitting is a single can of VB - and it was purely a social gesture in an awkward situation.  I did not like it at all.

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2016, 01:49:59 pm »
I don't think it's odd not to drink alcohol or caffeine based drinks - my best mate does not drink those either!
You can do anything with the right attitude and a hammer.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2016, 01:57:36 pm »
I will admit to drinking tea - and sometimes coffee.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2016, 02:06:14 pm »
 I will add that I am mostly immune to caffeine - I can drink tea or coffee right before bed and still fall right asleep. It all stems from way back when I was in 8th grade, our English class presented a play. As the shy nerdy type I am, I had no desire to take one of the parts and be on stage, so I volunteered to work the lights (play with cool electronics? Why yes, thank you...). Of course no instruction was given, I had to figure out the board myself, but it was a pretty simple one, this was after all a public school and not a major theater house. During the intermission of the actual performance, they had coffee and such available. I never was much of a coffee drinker, but I discovered that with enough sugar it was quite tasty - I must have had 8 cups or more, I just kept going back for more the entire second half of the play. I don't think I slept that night. Ever since then, the effects of strong coffee or tea are so minimal as to not do anything about waking me up in the morning, and while tea often has more caffeine than coffee, drinking tea before bed does not keep my awake. I was working on an email migration for a client that had to be done overnight, and needed to be monitored - talk about boring, fire off some commands then stare at the scree for a few hours, repeat. To keep awake I decided to give one of those energy drinks a try - nope, did absolutely NOTHING for me.

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2016, 03:34:43 pm »
Electricity and alcohol is not a good mixer

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2016, 05:47:41 pm »
I think people would drink a lot less if they add a proper MSDS (materials safty data sheet) to the  bottles. Sounds pretty dangerous:
www.nafaa.org/ethanol.pdf

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2016, 06:24:35 pm »
I'm another one who doesn't drink alcohol, coffee, or tea because I don't like the taste of any of them. I do get strange looks from people in this Starbucks Culture who almost literally are constantly swilling the stuff when I mention that I don't drink the stuff.

I particularly wonder how some people can drink as much as they do. From what I understand, it's not unusual for guys to drink 6-8 pints of beer in one night. I can't imagine drinking 120-160 ounces of anything in such a short period of time, unless, perhaps, I've just run a marathon on a hot day.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2016, 12:45:47 am »

I'm another one who doesn't drink alcohol, coffee, or tea because I don't like the taste of any of them. I do get strange looks from people in this Starbucks Culture who almost literally are constantly swilling the stuff when I mention that I don't drink the stuff.

I particularly wonder how some people can drink as much as they do. From what I understand, it's not unusual for guys to drink 6-8 pints of beer in one night. I can't imagine drinking 120-160 ounces of anything in such a short period of time, unless, perhaps, I've just run a marathon on a hot day.

I've always wondered that too. Beer was always very filling to me. I could never drink enough fast enough to ever get drunk. It must be the carbonation or something.

As for people not liking tea, that's always puzzled the hell out of me as it's not like coffee or alcohol, which despite having different types (Columbian, Venuzalian, Beer, Wine, etc.) always has the same base taste of coffee or alcohol.

While tea is more of a general term and can be made from a wide variety of completely different tasting plants. Black tea and green tea obviously being the most popular, plus things like Chai which is essentially black tea and spices. But there are also hundreds of herbal teas which don't contain any black or green tea at all! Instead they can contain a blend of aromatic plants and flowers.

It can even be consumed hot or cold. Tea is pretty great.

(No, I'm not English.)

Offline _Andrew_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2016, 01:14:34 am »
Occasionally I will have an alcoholic beverage but only because I like the taste of it, and on those occasions one drink will last me the entire evening. I Don't like the sensation of being drunk or fuzzy though. It dose mean that I tend to end up being the one keeping every one in the group out of trouble.   

With coffee I will have one occasionally but that 1 or 2 cups a month

Tea on the other hand, my workshop is tucked away in a building on a farm and a 11am all the farm workers stop of a cup of tea and a good old gossip. Farmers could gossip as an Olympic sport.   

But it is each to there there own. Thing I don't appreciate is people that insist that you drink and try and force alcoholic beverages on you.   

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2016, 01:37:30 am »
I've never been drunk and have no interest in ever being so.  I've seen enough of other people's efforts to do me.

There was one kid (well, he was 22) who was amazed at this and couldn't get his head around that idea.  He asked me more than once that I'd never gotten 'off my face' to which I replied "No.  Why should I want to?"  His answer was brilliantly lame: "Well, just ... just .... because!"

such a compelling argument.

Offline Leiothrix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2016, 09:41:38 pm »
While tea is more of a general term and can be made from a wide variety of completely different tasting plants. Black tea and green tea obviously being the most popular, plus things like Chai which is essentially black tea and spices. But there are also hundreds of herbal teas which don't contain any black or green tea at all! Instead they can contain a blend of aromatic plants and flowers.

Just to be really picky -- all tea's (black, white, green) are Camellia sinensis.  The difference between the different flavours/colours comes down to how they are picked and how they are processed.

A "herbal tea" is more correctly called a tisane, as they don't actually have any tea in it at all.

Yes, I am a tea drinker  :)

I also drink alcohol -- beer, wine, spirits and the odd liqueur.  Not a fan of anything that is super sweet or tastes like medicine though (e.g. Drambuie).

I don't drink coffee though, can't stand the taste.  The thing that I find interesting about that is I like iced coffee, coffee in cakes, even chocolate coated coffee beans, just not hot coffee.

Offline Tinkerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2016, 10:03:57 pm »
I dont drink alcohol of any sort. Most I have had in my life is a couple sips.
Dont drink coffee. I dont mind the taste if its got alot of flavor and is sweetened well. But I simply dont drink it for the most part.
I dont drink tea alot. Only every so often and as long as its sweetened.

What I do drink? Grape juice. Dark purple grape juice. Copious amounts of dark purple grape juice. Probably drink 1-2 gallons a week. haha.

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2016, 10:08:42 pm »
I don't drink either...

I very occasionally have a glass of red with great meat (aka; need to go to South Africa for that).
But I can get drunk with that single glass and I don't like being drunk.

I dislike the taste of distilled alcohols (Except rum baked in a cake) and most beer is like water gone wrong.
However, nothing tastes as good as a glass of fine Belgian beer right after an Ironman triathlon...
But that does limits my usage somewhat.

But I drink stupid amounts of coffee...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 10:12:14 pm by gildasd »
I'm electronically illiterate

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2016, 07:02:24 am »
If I had to give up one or the other I think I'd give up alcohol over caffeine (mainly coffee)
I need my coffee in the morning.

I still like alcohol though.

Offline envisionelec

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2016, 08:31:29 pm »
Fascinating. I don't like the taste of MOST beer, but I can tell you how I came to enjoy A beer.

I didn't try any beer until I was 21. My first was a Budweiser given to me by a co-worker. It was cold, but not ice cold. It tasted like piss. Yes, I know what piss tastes like (don't ask). I refused to drink any more and was told "Keep trying, you'll get used to it". A week later, I was invited to the pub across the street from the shop. I had a few sips and still thought it was disgusting. I tried a local brewery and couldn't finish that glass either. Aside from a couple sips of champagne on my honeymoon (yuck), I didn't drink again until I was 30. I was out with some visitors on a business trip from Germany and they ordered a pitcher of Guinness. I tried it and hated it, too. Like foamy mud. On another business trip, I tried some hot Sake and it tasted like warmed IPA.
So, I like SOME beer SOME times. It's not a preference. It does "take the edge off" if it's been a particularly difficult day (not just bad, but really hard) but I prefer to be myself around my family and friends so I remain sober.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2016, 04:20:55 am »
The first time I had Guinness I was working at a company that is now part of Citigroup.  There was an Irish pub down the road called Slattery Rand's.  I got invited there with some co-workers and one of them who comes from an Irish lineage insisted I have a Guinness.  My first sip reminded me of cold soy sauce, but the more I had it the more I liked it.  Now it's one of my favorites.
Although I don't have it very often since it's usually more expensive than most domestic beers. Though to be honest I tend to drink the 10% alcohol cheap crap beer.

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2016, 05:00:47 am »
I'm similar to Dave - never liked beer (I think it tastes horrible, spirits too) and alcohol doesn't do it for me either (if I have more than one glass of wine I get quite tipsy/sleepy) :=\

Didn't have the peer pressure pushing me into it either when I was young (bit of a loner). :-+

Do have coffee and occasional tea though.
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf