Author Topic: I tried to order a $1.99 knob from Keysight and felt the PAIN !!!  (Read 14376 times)

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
Re: I tried to order a $1.99 knob from Keysight and felt the PAIN !!!
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2017, 09:51:59 am »
Anyone tried to message Keysight's eBay store and ask them for spare parts? Never had any issues with their eBay store, one click purchase, free shipping, arrives within a week.

Maybe they should start listing spare parts?

Offline xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2017, 12:30:09 pm »
Anyone tried to message Keysight's eBay store and ask them for spare parts? Never had any issues with their eBay store, one click purchase, free shipping, arrives within a week.

Maybe they should start listing spare parts?

Wow. Looks like any old soul (read: individual) with $250,000 to spare on a weekend can pop this baby into their Ebay cart. The list price is $453,000 -

DSAX96204Q Digital Signal Analyzer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keysight-Used-DSAX96204Q-Digital-Signal-Analyzer-62-GHz-4-Ch-160-GSa-Agilent-/182576592252?hash=item2a8269b57c

But, if that same dear person's cat jumps up on the bench and chomps on the EXACT same little gray knob I tried to buy (that unit uses the same knobs), and they go to the Keysight web store to buy a new knob, they will get the same red carpet treatment as I did, not being a "company".  :o

Hey Keysight my cat ate the knob on my DSAX96204Q! Can I by a new one from you over the phone. I can't register on the web store.

Hold on sir - what is a cat doing inside your company building?

It's not a company building - it's my house!

Your house? What are you doing with a DSAX96204Q in your house?

I bought it on Ebay from Keysight!

I don't know anything about Keysight on Ebay - must be a fake store sir. Also, the web store screens people who are not with companies. Looks like we also need to add another field for people with cats in the same room as your test equipment. We don't want them to buy parts either. As you can see your cat has damaged a very expensive piece of kit. Selling you another one will just end up having the same fate.

So what - accidents happen. I know of people that have caused way more damage to test equipment than my cat did.

Sir, let me quote you a line from the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey "I'm sorry but this conversation can serve no purpose any longer. Goodbye"

:wtf:

Daniel? Oh Daniel wherefore art thou?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2017, 12:57:27 pm »
The problem in this story is not that Keysight does not deliver to individuals. The problem is that when talking on the phone personally, their employees tell you it's all fine.
So they should make their rules more clear.
That's why you end up in a frustrating process, because someone says A and someone else says B from the same company.
A little bit unprofessional in my opinion.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2017, 03:12:46 pm »
Let's just see how far down the rabbit hole we go -

I just sent a message to the Keysight store on Ebay. Let's see what they say, if anything. Remember, this is official Keysight. Some people here have been saying they'd rather not sell parts to individuals. We've also seen that the IT department was directed (by some controlling dept.) to make sure you are a company in the registration process.

Who knows - perhaps I can get a major corporation to change something? I love challenges like this.  ;)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:14:30 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2017, 06:17:34 pm »
xrunner, according to my experience this push can take you either way towards a "fix": either the company maintains its interest in the mass market or stops selling anything to individuals. This is highly dependent on internal forces inside the company.
Daniel can obviously help getting some traction in our favor, but there's always the possibility...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline eyiz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2017, 06:54:24 pm »
Bureaucracy always seems to get in the way of common sense.

Sometime ago I tried to order a Beablebone Black board from Mouser. This was being used in the "Control of Mobile Robots" course offered by Georgia Tech in the Coursera online platform, and I wanted to complete the hardware section of that course. 

The problem was that I'm in Canada. And the US has export regulations that restrict the export of certain high tech parts. Apparently, the Beaglebone Black was under such a restriction. So, for a Canadian to order this board from the US, a document needed to be signed stating that this item would not be re-exported or diverted to another country.

Mouser sends me the doc in pdf, and asks me to print it out, sign it, and FAX is back to them, before they could complete the order.

Now the problem is that I have no fax machine. I used to go down to the local Kinkos and fax stuff that required faxing, years ago, but the Kinkos closed down, and I have no idea where to go to fax things today.

So, the next solution is to use my scanner and scan the signed doc into my computer, and email that over to Mouser. The problem is that my scanner is old, doesn't work with Windows 7, and it is used so rarely today, that I haven't bothered to buy a new one. So, I had to restore an old computer I had, running Windows XP, attach the old scanner, scan the doc, copy the doc over via USB Stick to my newer machine, and then email the doc to Mouser. All that just to buy this simple part.

And here's the kicker. The Beaglebone Black is "Open Source" hardware. You can buy this from many places, all over Europe, or build it yourself, and there's no restriction in buying this open source hardware anywhere else, just in the US. This made absolutely no sense to me, but since it was just part of a larger order I placed with Mouser, I went through with the whole rigmarole just to get my parts without further fuss.

Somehow, someone's common sense couldn't see that the restriction didn't make any sense in this particular case, the fear of the bureaucracy was great enough to place everything of high tech nature under the same umbrella. So it goes. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2017, 07:13:05 pm »
xrunner, according to my experience this push can take you either way towards a "fix": either the company maintains its interest in the mass market or stops selling anything to individuals. This is highly dependent on internal forces inside the company.
Daniel can obviously help getting some traction in our favor, but there's always the possibility...

Yea I'd like Daniel to read this, but no, I'm not the least bit worried about what will happen because I am 99.9% sure what the issue is. It's bureaucracy at it's finest.

Bureaucracy always seems to get in the way of common sense.

Sometime ago I tried to order a Beablebone Black board from Mouser. This was being used in the "Control of Mobile Robots" course offered by Georgia Tech in the Coursera online platform, and I wanted to complete the hardware section of that course. 

Robots! Oh Noooos!

Yea it's bureaucracy and conflicting processes. I've talked to two people at Keysight already to get my knob order straightened out and neither of them made any deal at all about me ordering parts as an individual. The first guy that took my order over the phone couldn't have cared less about that "company" field, and the second guy I explained it all to, just said "yea I've heard it's a hassle to order parts as an individual". It wasn't like they were doing a deep dark thing that was against company rules. It's probably a mistake that some department doesn't have the time or budget to change, but is it against the company policy? No hell no.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2017, 07:48:36 pm »
Hi,

Wow. I swear just the other day I went into a big company - Wal Mart, and it seemed like they enjoyed dealing with me as an individual.

Well, that might be an exceptional experience, given the general quality of Wal-Mart...

You're missing that Wal-Mart makes it their business to deal with as many people as possible, at as thin a margin as possible.

The direct consequence is, they are quite harsh on their employees and suppliers.

Amazon is even more strict on that matter.

Maybe they were just being nice long enough to get me outta the store? But there were a lot of other individuals in there, at least that's what it looked like. But I could be wrong - maybe they were all with companies.  :-//

I don't know, maybe I should test them out, you know buy a Payday candy bar and see if they sell me just that. What would they do, give me a lecture on how much it cost to stock little items. Perhaps put a minimum order amount like $20 worth of candy before I can buy it? I could even try that on their web store. I bet I can buy a minimum of what ever thing I want, as long as I pay to have it shipped. I bet I can. Because you know, it's already in the warehouse, so if I pay for it (which they make a profit on) and pay for the shipping, it's all good.

Likely, their average margins are set to turn a profit on the average customer.

How many customers does your local superstore serve?  Hundreds at a time?  Thousands per day?  Hundreds of thousands per year?

The spite-purchase of one small item every time wouln't affect their bottom line.  Averages matter.  And the average person is going to go in there and buy at least $20 of stuff and food.  Probably, the average purchase is $50 or more.  The profit of maybe $15 they make on those purchases covers their costs.

Hmm. Matter of fact, (even being the lowly slime that I am - an individual) I've even dealt with major test equipment companies directly, such as Rigol, as an individual, and they even seemed to appreciate it. Matter of fact, Rigol made me a really good deal on a newer function generator because they had certain design flaws in the model I had. This dealing with them directly as an individual person - you know - a customer. Go figure.

Reflect on the average customers for both of these companies:
Rigol makes lots of modest size sales (and, probably, a lot of sales to distributors, but also a lot of support to them and their customers).  None(?) of their products are exceptional in terms of international regulations.  It's valuable to them to maintain a good appearance, so that their products remain attractive and competitive.  This includes supporting smaller customers -- who are likely to go on and make a few additional purchases in later years, or to recommend purchases to their managers.

On the other hand, Keysight makes products from entry level to enterprise.  Their products comply with many regulations, including international arms agreements.  Their average customer is corporate to enterprise, making large purchases (a $10k combo scope -- or a dozen at a time), through relatively complicated means (POs, credit, etc.).  They are (probably?) expert at handling export and customs.  These are all inherently high overhead procedures, and it wouldn't be unfair to suppose they offer their entry level products grudgingly, or preferably through distributors (who are set up to handle small purchases).

It is very much in their interest to keep customers happy, but if most of their customers are corporate, they only need to keep corporate customers happy -- company registration and accountants to handle POs are SOP in that case.

As for the e-mail thing... who knows.  I know of a few companies that make their employees use GMail, if you can imagine being so cheap.  They'd seem to have a problem with that.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2017, 07:56:29 pm »
The problem was that I'm in Canada. And the US has export regulations that restrict the export of certain high tech parts. Apparently, the Beaglebone Black was under such a restriction. So, for a Canadian to order this board from the US, a document needed to be signed stating that this item would not be re-exported or diverted to another country.
I find it hard to believe that the BBB would be covered by something like ITAR, but I would give Mouser the benefit of the doubt in this case, since government regulations are not exactly known for being sensible.

So, the next solution is to use my scanner and scan the signed doc into my computer, and email that over to Mouser.
Just a tip for next time: there are some smart phone apps (usually called something with scanner) that will correct a smart phone picture for geometric distortion and exposure, making a modern smart phone a decent scanner for things like forms. These days I use CamScanner instead of trying to get an old flatbed scanner to work. Scans are perfectly legible and never had a complaint from the companies / agencies I sent the scans to.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2017, 08:09:22 pm »
Hi,

Hi

These are all inherently high overhead procedures, and it wouldn't be unfair to suppose they offer their entry level products grudgingly, or preferably through distributors (who are set up to handle small purchases).

Offer them "grudgingly? Gosh, aren't we the lucky crew, to bow down to Keysight because they "grudgingly" offer their products to us! What a wonderful world!

Ridiculous. Either offer the products, or don't offer them. Having some behind the scenes or up front tainting of them being offered only grudgingly is not the way to do business. Offer the products and spare parts or don't offer them - do or do not as Yoda would say.

It is very much in their interest to keep customers happy, but if most of their customers are corporate, they only need to keep corporate customers happy  ...

I quite disagree with that statement. Again, if they are selling to individuals (and they are) then they need to make them happy as well. Sell to individuals and make them happy, or don't sell to them. There is no in between in this.

As for the e-mail thing... who knows.  I know of a few companies that make their employees use GMail, if you can imagine being so cheap.  They'd seem to have a problem with that.

Yes indeed.

But all this debate over them selling test equipment and parts to individuals is a non-issue - it's settled - they do it happily. The problem is their registration process is broken because of a silly email rule/field that no representative of the company yet has even acknowledged to be pertinent. If you've read this thread you'd know that the guy that took my order over the phone initially told me to "ignore the company name and just enter my personal name in the field" !

I'm going to find out if it can be fixed for the benefit of other individuals who try to register. The field is useless, it's ignored by their own people, and should be removed or changed to accommodate both entities.  :-+

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2017, 09:48:01 pm »

Mouser sends me the doc in pdf, and asks me to print it out, sign it, and FAX is back to them, before they could complete the order.

Now the problem is that I have no fax machine. I used to go down to the local Kinkos and fax stuff that required faxing, years ago, but the Kinkos closed down, and I have no idea where to go to fax things today.

Been there time and again for all forms of legal documents.  I just print the .pdf to a bitmap image like .bmp or .png.  I keep a high res scanned .bmp of my signature on my HD, I load the converted .pdf into paint software & paste in my signature on the line (the paint software allows me to adjust the size of my signature so it fits) and fill out any text with a simple text tool in the paint software & re-print the edited image to .pdf & email it out all the time without issue.  No paper waste.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:50:21 pm by BrianHG »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
I tried to order a $1.99 knob from Keysight and felt the PAIN !!!
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2017, 01:45:09 am »

Been there time and again for all forms of legal documents.  I just print the .pdf to a bitmap image like .bmp or .png.  I keep a high res scanned .bmp of my signature on my HD, I load the converted .pdf into paint software & paste in my signature on the line (the paint software allows me to adjust the size of my signature so it fits) and fill out any text with a simple text tool in the paint software & re-print the edited image to .pdf & email it out all the time without issue.  No paper waste.

Pro Tip: Adobe Reader (and most other PDF software like Foxit, etc.) on Windows allows you to digitally stamp your signature directly into a PDF. Preview on macOS also has this feature. (Preview even makes it easy to get your signature into the system! You sign a white piece of paper and hold it up in front of the camera and it takes care of processing and storing it; alternatively you can use a capacitive stylus and the trackpad.)

These programs also let you add text anywhere to the PDF (markup) and fill in text fields and checkboxes on form PDFs. So, you can save a bit of time by just downloading some decent PDF software. :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:48:08 am by timb »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2017, 04:48:12 am »

Pro Tip: Adobe Reader (and most other PDF software like Foxit, etc.) on Windows allows you to digitally stamp your signature directly into a PDF. Preview on macOS also has this feature. (Preview even makes it easy to get your signature into the system! You sign a white piece of paper and hold it up in front of the camera and it takes care of processing and storing it; alternatively you can use a capacitive stylus and the trackpad.)

These programs also let you add text anywhere to the PDF (markup) and fill in text fields and checkboxes on form PDFs. So, you can save a bit of time by just downloading some decent PDF software. :)
Thanks for the tip.  I've been doing it my way long before such tools existed, so, I never looked to update my method.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2017, 07:04:00 am »
Btw, I always sign everything "digitally".
Just copy past your signature into the document.
(sometimes you have to export a pdf to high quality jpeg and go back to pdf)

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2017, 09:58:37 am »
I recently bought a camera module from E-Con Systems and it didn't even let me register with a email that ends in gmail.com or yahoo.com or anything like that along with the company text field being mandatory. So what i did was simply enter my work email and company name and everything went smoothly.

But good to know that ordering spare parts from Keysight is convoluted. So if i ever need a part i will likely go trough my local distributor (That i regret ever contacting due to how pesky they ended up in sending me emails and calling me if they can help me with my test and measurement needs).

I also sign things digitally. I use FoxitReader as my PDF viewer and it has a button for stamping PNG picture of your signature on to a document. Only have to add your signature once and then you can stamp it all over any PDF by just clicking.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2017, 11:28:40 am »
Well look what I got from Keysight.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2017, 05:43:48 pm »
Whew! Sounds like quite the run-around and I'm so sorry for all of the trouble you've been having.

A couple comments.

1st, the whole "selling to individuals" thing is a legal liability thing. I don't know the details, but essentially the way our equipment is packaged, tested, and registered with governments limits who we can sell to. That's part of the distributor network thing, too. I'm not an expert on this area, but have fought it enough internally to know it's not just a weird Keysight bureaucracy issue but an actual legal concern.

2nd, that scope is well past it's normal support life, so getting parts for it is all ad-hoc. The X-Series are definitely still supported so getting one of those should not be this difficult.

I'll work out getting you a new knob via the PM you sent, our back-end support may have some on hand for issues like this.

For posterity finding this thread through a search, the knob sizes are pretty standard, so even if you can't find the specific knob you're looking for you should be able to find a suitable replacement.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Electro Detective

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2017, 06:04:56 pm »
This occurred a few weeks ago (translated to English, with actual details bleeped out.):

Me: Hello? This is Max.
Sales: Hello. This is So-and-so Co. Ltd. Thank you for calling us. What can I do for you?
Me: Can I buy a one or two of your SIM7600CE module with voice support?
Sales: What is the purpose of the modules?
Me: Experimenting for now.
Sales: What is the name and scale of your company?
Me: I am currently part of a start-up team, company not registered yet.
Sales: Sorry. We do not do business to individuals. *clunk*

Ouch.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2017, 06:15:28 pm »

2nd, that scope is well past it's normal support life, so getting parts for it is all ad-hoc. The X-Series are definitely still supported so getting one of those should not be this difficult.

No Daniel - did you read the first post? I'm not trying to get a part for that 54622D! Somebody replaced all the knobs on it BUT ONE with the newer Keysight design knobs that are NOT out of support. Plus I've already got the newer knob ordered. The issue here is not the knob but the registration process for individuals on the Keysight parts store, the whole email does not match your company name thing (which all the reps IGNORE anyway).

:palm:

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2017, 08:17:06 pm »
This is what happens when Keysight makes a 100GHz 1m$ scope in their product line.  It makes them feel they can ignore the little guy...

When the little guy is buying $2 in parts every year, anyone can and has the right to ignore them.
Although preferably they'd be a bit more upfront, and not waste everyones time.

As people have already pointed out, these order systems are designed around large orders from companies, sucks for us as individuals, but thats how it is.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: jpanhalt

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2017, 08:37:26 pm »
This is what happens when Keysight makes a 100GHz 1m$ scope in their product line.  It makes them feel they can ignore the little guy...

When the little guy is buying $2 in parts every year, anyone can and has the right to ignore them.
Although preferably they'd be a bit more upfront, and not waste everyones time.

As people have already pointed out, these order systems are designed around large orders from companies, sucks for us as individuals, but thats how it is.

Actually the parts website with it's shopping cart is generally what you would implement for individuals and small companies, not large companies.

Typically I'd expect large companies would have direct access to internal specialists/account managers/sales who would look after them.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, SkyMaster, BrianHG

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2017, 09:16:45 pm »

No Daniel - did you read the first post? I'm not trying to get a part for that 54622D! Somebody replaced all the knobs on it BUT ONE with the newer Keysight design knobs that are NOT out of support. Plus I've already got the newer knob ordered. The issue here is not the knob but the registration process for individuals on the Keysight parts store, the whole email does not match your company name thing (which all the reps IGNORE anyway).

:palm:

That's why I added that second line about X-Series definitely still getting supported. I've learned to cover all the bases when posting on this forum or else in a few months I'll start getting PMs about supporting the 54622D :).

Like I said, I'll get you a new knob via PM.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2017, 09:27:01 pm »
Thank you, Daniel.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2017, 10:05:14 pm »
That's why I added that second line about X-Series definitely still getting supported. I've learned to cover all the bases when posting on this forum or else in a few months I'll start getting PMs about supporting the 54622D :).

Like I said, I'll get you a new knob via PM.

Thank you for your support here on the EEVBlog forum. I'll reply to the email you sent me with further information.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf