Author Topic: I'm on Wikipedia  (Read 41676 times)

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
Re: I'm on Wikipedia
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2015, 08:38:34 pm »
Wikipedia notability is a joke:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_circuit

Apparently notable enough to warrant an entire detailed page.

This is a very useful page.
It's something too simple for us to mention, but far above the knowledge our energy politicians will ever reach.
A wellmade example of the effects of singularity.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2015, 03:15:46 am »
Would Dave's Tshirt designs be of any use as references.  If we can find pictures of others wearing them them at official events or something?
Or a video clip of someone notable saying something like "dont turn it on, take it apart as Dave would say"  I'm sure i've heard someone else say that in a electronic related video.

RC modelon youtube reviews borrows Dave's phrase and often credits him on his "What's inside" episodes.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2015, 03:19:23 am »
Have none of you people ever written a paper or something? None of your silly "sources" would even be acceptable in a high school report!

I have written a few papers in notable journals. I wouldn't consider myself noteworthy, while Dave, yes he deserves a page. Wiki's policies on sources are antiquated and inconsequent and their tone leaves much to be desired, as does yours.

I'm not saying he isn't notable, I'm saying the sources are shite. Want the page to stay up? Fix them. And screw tone.

Dude, calm down  ???

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2015, 03:21:03 am »
Would the Renesas contest video be worthwhile adding?

That speech you gave? Yep, it's a conference  ;) (it actually is...)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2015, 04:41:32 am »
RC modelon youtube reviews borrows Dave's phrase and often credits him on his "What's inside" episodes.

Many (most?) current engineering bloggers credit me with having got them into doing it  ;D

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2015, 09:48:54 am »
Don't be shy Dave.  >:D

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2015, 09:40:31 am »

Many (most?) current engineering bloggers credit me with having got them into doing it  ;D

Any source about university courses where you are mentioned, or tasks/projects/lab they do where content of your videos is used?
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2015, 03:34:53 pm »
Well, it was a near thing, but we won. :) The deletion discussion was closed with result "keep".

A couple of people challenged the idea that interviews could be considered secondary sources. Apparently my answer to that was acceptable to the closing admin.

Now, back to important things.
"banging meter needles into stop pins since 1965"

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2015, 06:35:35 pm »
Well, it was a near thing, but we won. :) The deletion discussion was closed with result "keep".
A few hours after giving it a 'keep' the result was changed to 'no consensus', which is a weaker conclusion (or rather, it is a non-decision), so if you can still provide new reliable sources, I think it would be good to add them.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2015, 07:32:14 pm »
 :phew:

Now that this over - can I start a new post asking for volunteers (I will help) to set up an index on Wiki to the videos?  Maybe 10 to 20 per person with someone first giving instructions ??  Sorted like a Playlist would be, in fact we could use Dave's playlist as a template.

I do not know if possible but another wish list from me is :  a list of links sorted by subject.   I have found lots of useful links by reading these posts but it is on a hit and miss basis.  If possible then after the video list.

thanks

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2015, 07:47:57 pm »
A few hours after giving it a 'keep' the result was changed to 'no consensus', which is a weaker conclusion (or rather, it is a non-decision), so if you can still provide new reliable sources, I think it would be good to add them.
So I see. "Dream Focus", the guy who originally proposed deletion, went and whined on the closing admin's talk page and the admin gave in. I've called foul.
"banging meter needles into stop pins since 1965"

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2015, 08:22:16 pm »
So I see. "Dream Focus", the guy who originally proposed deletion, went and whined on the closing admin's talk page and the admin gave in. I've called foul.
Rightly so.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2015, 09:02:57 pm »
"Dream Focus", the guy who originally proposed deletion, went and whined on the closing admin's talk page and the admin gave in.

Blimey, I guess I was right, some people really do have way too much time on their hands.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2015, 09:06:18 pm »
[emoji14]hew:

Now that this over - can I start a new post asking for volunteers (I will help) to set up an index on Wiki to the videos?  Maybe 10 to 20 per person with someone first giving instructions ??  Sorted like a Playlist would be, in fact we could use Dave's playlist as a template.

I do not know if possible but another wish list from me is :  a list of links sorted by subject.   I have found lots of useful links by reading these posts but it is on a hit and miss basis.  If possible then after the video list.

thanks
I love the idea! What about The Amp Hour too?

I can help at July and try to start trsnscription to make English subtitles, this can help on priority of what episodes to make subtitles first.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2015, 02:15:55 am »
"Dream Focus", the guy who originally proposed deletion, went and whined on the closing admin's talk page and the admin gave in.

Blimey, I guess I was right, some people really do have way too much time on their hands.
Interesting. This is the same guy that removed the reference to Dave's videos in the Solar Roadways page (forum thread here) - personal vendetta?
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2015, 05:37:19 am »
I don't know if it's a personal vendetta, but I find interesting that the user page for that DreamFocus guy reports two nominations for deletions, in 2009 and 2010.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf