Author Topic: I'm on Wikipedia  (Read 41551 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: I'm on Wikipedia
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 07:51:31 am »
fixed

:-+

I think it should stay now, and will likely be prime target for the haters which should be hilarious ;D

Online hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 09:29:56 am »
As of 4 January 2015, he has recorded 699 EEVblog episodes (849 videos in total) and his YouTube channel has more than 200,000 subscribers.

I'm still waiting for EEVblog #666.  O0

So technically we're stll at 698 episodes? :box:

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 12:23:37 pm »
I'm still waiting for EEVblog #666.  O0

So technically we're stll at 698 episodes? :box:
Interesting, I didn't noticed this. So 699 is 0.14% off. Would be still good enough for a cheap multimeter ^-^
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:30:36 pm by FrankBuss »
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline electrophiliate

• Regular Contributor
  • Eternal Novice
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2015, 12:31:05 pm »
The following Wikipedia policy and guideline appear to be of particular importance here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Biographies_of_living_persons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability_(people)
Nothing is quite like a great humming power-station.

Offline bbogita

• Contributor
  • "Get back in there magic smoke!"
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 02:28:51 pm »
You may want to list the FLUKE literature about meter ruggedness where Dave's video (#66) is linked to:

http://en-us.fluke.com/community/fluke-news-plus/how-robust-is-your-handheld-meter.html

Done! I added some stuff about Flukes news article on the wikipedia page. I still think the formatting of the page content (chronological order?) needs work, but hey it sure does look better than when we started it  :-+
KM4GPL (2m Band)

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 08:21:43 am »
Hi... (long time eevblog watcher, newbie forum member.) sorry for resurrecting a months-old thread, but it's the same topic.

Someone has nominated Dave's WP article for deletion! The reason given is "No reliable sources mention this person at all."

If you're already familiar with WP policies re notability and reliable sources, by all means, please contribute to the deletion discussion  here.

If not, please first read WP's policy pages  on notability and reliable sources first. The section on Contributing to deletion discussions will also be very helpful.

Please be aware that it is not a vote, and posts of "I like eevblog" will not help; in fact a flood of anonymous or new editors posting "I like eevblog" or similar will likely hurt. Deletion either happens, or does not, based on the validity of arguments that appeal to Wikipedia policy. The relevant policy here is that article subjects must be "notable", per WP's definition of notable.

What is needed is a longer list of reliable sources that mention Dave.

Looking over Dave's bio, the first thing that comes to mind would be more details on all of his magazine articles. These would be added to the article as references. I did find details on his first article, the digital storage scope adapter for PCs, and I'll be adding that to the article shortly. The Circuit Cellar interview will also be good, esp since Circuit Cellar is an in-print magazine.

In short: Please help, but within WP's rules and expectations. Thanks.
"banging meter needles into stop pins since 1965"

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 08:33:02 am »
Thanks, I had no idea, I don't follow the page.
Does it help if my profile is linked in more places? e.g. the town I'm from, list of youtube celebrities or something?

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 08:49:05 am »
Why, hi, Dave! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :)

Putting you in the "list of youtube celebrities" should have happened eons ago. I'm going to sleep now (I'm in UTC-8) but I'll do that tomorrow.

The most important thing would be references to eevblog or to you personally in "reliable sources", preferably print sources. As I said the Circuit Cellar article will help (I'll do that tomorrow as well). The bibilographic list of magazine articles you wrote will be good, but if any other of those magazines (or any other print media) wrote about you or eevblog, that's better.

This list of articles originally published in EA appears to be no longer online: http://www.siliconchip.com.au/files/ea_proj.txt It's not at archive.org either. Does anyone have an updated link?

The trouble with online sources is of course that anybody can create a web site. Some web sites are considered RSs: an article at Ars Technica probably would be, as they do that editorial oversight thing, but a forum post there would not. It usually takes some arguing to get articles at web sites accepted as RSs. But an in-print magazine, newspaper, etc., or radio or TV coverage, is automatically considered a RS. Maybe a bit unfair in this day and age, but there it is.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:09:40 am by RickBrant »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 09:01:27 am »
Might this arcticle by Dave count?
http://www.alternatezone.com/electronics/files/PCBDesignTutorialRevA.pdf
Originally appeared in Silicon Chip magazine Oct-Dec 2003 as stated here:
http://www.alternatezone.com/electronics/pcbdesign.htm
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2015, 09:11:29 am »
Yes, but it would help more if it was mentioned in a list of articles that is on a site controlled by Silicon Chip mag. As it is it can be considered "self-published".

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2015, 09:19:25 am »

Nice link tautech, I just went on a journey around Altzone and found this line,

" I'm rarely online these day's so dont bother "

How times change, I found it amusing, no offence intended.   :-+

Muttley

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2015, 09:26:19 am »
Yes, but it would help more if it was mentioned in a list of articles that is on a site controlled by Silicon Chip mag. As it is it can be considered "self-published".
We'd all better get looking then.......
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2015, 09:32:37 am »
Oh, I'll add the PCB design article reference (tomorrow) as it is, without mentioning the web site. In fact I think I'll convert the ref on the DSOA project to just a publication reference, again omitting the web site, again since the web site could be construed as self-published.  Funny thing but a claim of print publication doesn't really need anything else to back it up (difficulty of finding a source doesn't affect "reliability").

Offline Blofeld

• Regular Contributor
  • Diamonds Are Forever
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2015, 09:36:00 am »
Years ago I made a review of this forum on my site. I don't know what Wikipedia considers a reliable source, only thing I can say is that my site is not associated with Dave in any way (and this should be obvious when browsing through it), so there is no conflict of interest. So if anybody has experience with writing Wikipedia articles, you might check if you can use this link in any way:

http://www.wisewarthog.com/electronics/review-of-eevblog-forum.html

EDIT: I just read this on Wikipedia (bold print by me), so I guess linking to my site won't help, sorry.

"Anyone can create a personal web page or publish their own book, and also claim to be an expert in a certain field. For that reason self-published media—whether books, newsletters, personal websites, open wikis, blogs, personal pages on social networking sites, Internet forum postings, or tweets—are largely not acceptable."
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:12:37 am by Blofeld »
My site www.wisewarthog.com and my Youtube channel (in progress). Links and reviews of books and free stuff.

Offline Asmyldof

• Regular Contributor
  • Freelancer - Persnicketist - Do'er of stuff
    • Asmyldof's Home. It's old, not quite impressive, but it's there.
Weren't you in Elektor too?
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2015, 09:42:10 am »
Hey Dave,
If I'm misremembering, please forgive me, but weren't some of your designs also published in Elektor? That's a print medium with an on-line archive that's linkable if you remember some publishing dates.

Don't know if that'll help, but it might.

Best of luck staying on Wikipedia,

Robert!
If it's a puzzle, I want to solve it.
If it's a problem, I need to solve it.
If it's an equation... mjeh, I've got Matlab
(not really though, Matlab annoys me).

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2015, 09:47:55 am »
What about Dave's book "The art of internet dating"  is that referenced anywhere online that would be considered a reliable source?

It's on amazon as a kindle book!
http://www.amazon.com/The-Internet-Dating-David-Jones-ebook/dp/B004MDLVAO
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:49:54 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2015, 09:55:45 am »

If it helps, Target 3001 used the PCB design tutorial as part of their instructional material.
And quite a few universities and schools are using it as course material.

A list of some of my articles (the ones I can recall):
Software Scientific Calculator - Electronics Australia May 1992 (review by Peter Murtagh)
Low Cost DSO Adapter for PC's - Electronics Australia Feb 1993 (Reprinted in Electronic Test Gear Volume III)
Mk2 Digital Storage Osciloscope Adapter Software May 1994 (by Jim Rowe)
Hardware Screen Saver - Electronics Australia June 1994
EPROM Programmer Software - Electronics Australia Nov 1994 (review by Glenn Pure)
20MHz Function Generator - Electronics Australia Aug 1996
PC Based 32CH Logic Analyser - Electronics Australia 1996
Mk3 Digital Storage Oscilloscope Adapter - Electronics Australia Oct 1998
Video Clock/Message Generator - Electronics Australia Aug 1999
Video Title Generator - Electronics Australia Oct 1999
Frequency Counter Module - Silicon Chip Aug 2001
uCurrent Multimeter Adapter - Silicon Chip Apr 2009 (reprinted in Everyday Practical Electronics May 2011)

I was also featured as one of 21 Influential Makers in the book Makers At Work: Folks Reinventing the World One Object or Idea at a Time
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=LXjiAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA229&dq=makers+at+work+dave+jones&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LiZPVeazJMbm8AX574DQAg&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=makers%20at%20work%20dave%20jones&f=false
That's certainly a solid reference.

My uWatch project was featured in Make Magazine Volume 15 in 2008
http://www.make-digital.com/make/vol15/?pg=22#pg22

And yes, the April 2012 Issue 261 of Circuit Cellar article on me "Electronics Engineering for the people"

The following users thanked this post: conductivity

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2015, 09:56:44 am »
and one of the judges for the Hack A Day prize: https://hackaday.io/prize/judges

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2015, 10:00:00 am »
What about Dave's book "The art of internet dating"  is that referenced anywhere online that would be considered a reliable source?

There were a few reviews, but I think they are long gone off the interwebs. Some were in magazines and newspapers that didn't have an online presence 15 years ago.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2015, 10:08:27 am »
Oh, I'll add the PCB design article reference (tomorrow) as it is, without mentioning the web site. In fact I think I'll convert the ref on the DSOA project to just a publication reference, again omitting the web site, again since the web site could be construed as self-published.  Funny thing but a claim of print publication doesn't really need anything else to back it up (difficulty of finding a source doesn't affect "reliability").

The PCB Design Tutorial first published in Silicon Chip Magazine Oct-Dec 2003, it's only much later did I release it in PDF form on the website.

Also another article:
Solar Sponge Solar Air Heater - Renew magazine Issue 94

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2015, 10:23:37 am »
I've added a reference to a well known German publisher, who wrote about the uCurrent, and the Hackaday judge reference.
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2015, 10:23:48 am »
I was also profiled in the special 25th anniversary edition of Circuit Cellar

Also, no mention of controversial stuff I'm known for like
- debunking solar roadways, free energy overunity, audiophools, and dodgy kickstarters
- Getting big manufacturers to respond to product criticism e.g. Microchip and their CEO, Fluke, Agilent, Extech meter blowing up etc.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2015, 10:38:44 am »
Yeah, the microchip response to the PICkit3 should be added to the page.

Microchip should be considered a reliable source and they posted their response video on their official "Microchip technology" youtube channel.
They had the 4th biggest worldwide market share in microcontrollers in 2012. Not sure what it is at now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:43:30 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline funfairEE

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2015, 10:49:45 am »
"in 2011 he bec?me the first full-time YouTube engineering blogger" - this should be removed, to hard to prove even if changed to electronics engineering.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2015, 11:01:42 am »
I've added the Microchip videos. I wrote "he is always very straightforward", don't know how to say on Wikipedia that Dave always says "bullshit!", if something is indeed bullshit :)

Did they finally fixed the issues? Last time I tried PICkit3, it was still less usable than PICkit2, needed downloads to flash different PIC microcontrollers. And PICkit2 doesn't work anymore with some new chips in MPLAB X, like the PIC32MX220F032B. The open source program pic32prog can still flash this chip with a PICkit2, so it is not a hardware limitation.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:08:08 am by FrankBuss »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf