Author Topic: I'm on Wikipedia  (Read 41645 times)

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Re: I'm on Wikipedia
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2015, 11:57:46 am »
You would need to do something outrageous to stay on Wikipedia. I don't know, ...like hitting the Dutch prime minister in the face with a cream pie for subsidizing solar roadways..  8)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2015, 01:54:36 pm »
I'd love to respond to this DreamFocus guy, but I can't exactly get involved:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/David_L._Jones

Extech: A company gave an award to a blogger who gave them great reviews for their products. [2] He claims on his website he once published an article in a magazine. [3] A lot of people write articles for magazines, that doesn't really make them notable. It says that "Fluke Corporation mentioned one of Jones' videos on their news page", probably because he gave them a good review.

He obviously doesn't know about:
When I threw an Extech meter on the ground and stomped on it and exposed it for trying to kill me.
When I exposed Fluke's longest and best selling multimeter as having a crippling fault.
 ;D

But I can see the analness of it, I don't know how my wikipedia page got approved in the first place, it certainly doesn't make me out to be all that noteworthy, unless you are in the industry.
 :popcorn:

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2015, 02:18:33 pm »

Extech: A company gave an award to a blogger who gave them great reviews for their products. [2] He claims on his website he once published an article in a magazine. [3] A lot of people write articles for magazines, that doesn't really make them notable. It says that "Fluke Corporation mentioned one of Jones' videos on their news page", probably because he gave them a good review.

I agree with him entirely. Not a single one of those is a good source. If you tried to write some academic report or some such and cited those you'd just be laughed at.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline Blofeld

• Regular Contributor
  • Diamonds Are Forever
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2015, 04:05:59 pm »
I've added a reference to a well known German publisher, who wrote about the uCurrent, and the Hackaday judge reference.

Here is another one about the uCurrent (in English):

http://www.embedded.com/electronics-blogs/break-points/4406380/The--Current

Don't know if Wikipedia accepts embedded.com as a reliable source, but to me this here sounds as if they are:

http://www.embedded.com/editorial-contributions
My site www.wisewarthog.com and my Youtube channel (in progress). Links and reviews of books and free stuff.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2015, 04:11:00 pm »
Someone please edit it to include a reference to Dave's hobby of cross-dressing.   :-DD

Yes, I can just picture it when the haters get a hold of it  ;D

They could include a picture from the video where someone from China sent you some women's under-clothes.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2015, 04:19:32 pm »
I think you can get involved to clarify things, with a link to your EEVblog video where you didn't give Fluke a good review. I don't know why this DreamFocus guy thinks you are not notable. Just your 742 mostly high quality videos of teardowns, fundamental fridays, reviews etc. would make you notable. Many people in the electronics industry knows you and appreciates your forum and videos.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2015, 04:54:54 pm »
Just let them delete it ... wikipedia is only ever interesting as a quick technical reference with links.

If you really want to have the page stay start with the Circuitcellar interview, dead paper excites wikipedians (they have an irrational inferiority complex about being online). If there are any dead paper reviews of his book throw them in there as well (or hell, make some up ... waste some delitionist's time by sending him to go through paper archives of some two bit Australian local paper).

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2015, 06:42:44 pm »
You would need to do something outrageous to stay on Wikipedia. I don't know, ...like hitting the Dutch prime minister in the face with a cream pie for subsidizing solar roadways..  8)
I'd pay to watch that.
"banging meter needles into stop pins since 1965"

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2015, 06:47:49 pm »
"in 2011 he bec?me the first full-time YouTube engineering blogger" - this should be removed, to hard to prove even if changed to electronics engineering.
We don't have to "prove" it. We just have to find a RS that says it.

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2015, 06:52:33 pm »
I was also profiled in the special 25th anniversary edition of Circuit Cellar

Also, no mention of controversial stuff I'm known for like
- debunking solar roadways, free energy overunity, audiophools, and dodgy kickstarters
- Getting big manufacturers to respond to product criticism e.g. Microchip and their CEO, Fluke, Agilent, Extech meter blowing up etc.
I'm going to get the Circuit Cellar interview in there.

Your own videos are sufficient references for the claim that "in video n, Dave claims x, y, and z". I'll be doing a few of those too. I have some other urgent work to do in the next two days, but there is no huge hurry - most deletion discussions go on for at least a week.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2015, 07:41:31 pm »
BTW< the person who pointed me to this wanted to know if it's possible to have a complete list of episodes on Wikipedia. I doubt it would be allowed.

I am still wondering.

For example:
click on #5 on this for the episodes

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bang_Theory]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bang_Theory
[/url]

(First time I have seen a warning that there was too much information)

I would like the episodes listed or sorted by subject, for example all the ones about oscopes would be listed in one area. 

I am sure there would be volunteers (including myself) to help if someone can get us started.

BUT maybe this is more important-->

How to vote on this ? -->

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/David_L._Jones]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/David_L._Jones
[/url]

It looks like Dave needs help to keep this up.  Maybe a new call for help from Dave is needed.??

I would think by just looking at the page helps.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Blofeld

• Regular Contributor
  • Diamonds Are Forever
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2015, 08:41:37 pm »
This article from the EE Times might help (the EE Times once was available in print):

Social media and engineers: Live with it, OK?

http://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?doc_id=1284959
It's no longer a question; it's a fact, so get used to it:
    Engineers are social and they are embracing social media.
Think about
    Todd Sierer’s excellent adventures at An Engineering Mind, courtesy of National Instruments (he's now moved to Edmund Optics)
    Chris Gammell’s Amp Hour radio program
    Dave Jones’ EEVblog.
    Jeri Ellsworth’s wildly entertaining and informative videos.
My site www.wisewarthog.com and my Youtube channel (in progress). Links and reviews of books and free stuff.

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2015, 09:43:35 pm »
EEtimes mention: YES!

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2015, 11:18:43 pm »
Rightly or wrongly, I fear there are a lot of self-appointed editors and pedants on Wikipedia with far too much time on their hands, like this one for example http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/wikipedia-editor-has-made-some-47000-corrections-to-online-database-10024355.html

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2015, 11:20:16 pm »
Another one:
I was a celebrity guest judge in the Renesas Design Contest:

They can't dispute that one when I'm announced on state in front of 1000 peers by one of the biggest semiconductor companies.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:49:26 pm by EEVblog »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2015, 11:25:06 pm »
If you really want to have the page stay start with the Circuitcellar interview, dead paper excites wikipedians

This is why I think it's vital to put in the Maker's at Work book link, and the Circuit Cellar 25th anniversary link.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2015, 11:30:11 pm »
How to vote on this ? -->

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/David_L._Jones]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/David_L._Jones
[/url]
It looks like Dave needs help to keep this up.  Maybe a new call for help from Dave is needed.??
I would think by just looking at the page helps.

So far there are 4 "keep" votes, and two "delete" votes. Does it just work on votes?
This DreamFocus person seems a bit obsessed with having it deleted, and I suspect will probably succeed unless real references are added. In that case I don't it's a case of just voting.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2015, 11:34:00 pm »
Forget it Dave, just invest in a fat arse, boob job and botox and you too could enjoy the publicity machine enjoyed by the likes of workshy and erstwhile publticity-shyte Kim Kardashian, famed for, er, well, a fat arse and several other assorted augmentations, and trout lips.

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2015, 04:51:52 am »
If Dave gets a boob job I'm going to have to stop watching his videos. Just sayin'.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2015, 04:53:16 am »
Looks like other one has jumped on board, ????????YO, who is keen on deleting it.

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2015, 04:56:36 am »
If you really want to have the page stay start with the Circuitcellar interview, dead paper excites wikipedians

This is why I think it's vital to put in the Maker's at Work book link, and the Circuit Cellar 25th anniversary link.

Is the "CC 25th anniversary link" different from the interview that they published in April 2012? Never mind, I figured this out.

I added the link to the interview, plus the one from EEtimes, changed the DSOA ref to refer to the print publication (what was the exact title from the magazine?).  I also did a bit of work on the article's flow.

I was unaware of the Makers at Work book. I have grabbed the Kindle edition and will add that info probably tomorrow or Tuesday (UTC-8).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:04:43 am by RickBrant »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2015, 05:04:05 am »

Is the "CC 25th anniversary link" different from the interview that they published in April 2012?

I added the link to the interview, plus the one from EEtimes, changed the DSOA ref to refer to the print publication (what was the exact title from the magazine?).  I also did a bit of work on the article's flow.

I was unaware of the Makers at Work book. I have grabbed the Kindle edition and will add that info probably tomorrow or Tuesday (UTC-8).

No need for the kindle edition, you can link directly to the Google Books version here:
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=LXjiAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA229&dq=makers+at+work+dave+jones&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LiZPVeazJMbm8AX574DQAg&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=makers%20at%20work%20dave%20jones&f=false
Hopefully this should be enough to shut them up because it is a properly published book highlighting me as being one of the well known leaders in the Maker community.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2015, 05:05:51 am »
There is also this highlight Hack A Day did on me:
http://hackaday.com/2014/07/01/judge-spotlight-dave-jones/

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2015, 05:15:40 am »
So far there are 4 "keep" votes, and two "delete" votes. Does it just work on votes?
No. It doesn't matter how many "I like it" votes there are. It works on appeals to WP policy. The policy in question here is that "notability" has to be established by multiple references to the article subject in reliable sources, which means not self-published and, per whats-his-name, not a press release.

I think with the sources just added plus two more in the queue we will be on solid ground there, then we can get back to real work and fun.

I would add those tonight, but frankly, dealing with WP's citation templates is more frustrating than reading someone else's APL code. (If you've never dealt with APL, feel free to mentally substitute "Sanskrit" or "Egyptian hieroglyphics".) And I've had all of that I can stand for one evening :)

After we've cleared this hurdle I'll link to specific videos like your Solar Roadways debunk and the others you mentioned. We can't make a claim that you're "well known for..." unless (again) there is mention of such by someone else - but we can claim that you said something with your own video as proof.

Like you I like to "share the wealth" of knowledge and to that end I've done a little bit of editing on WP in a variety of tech areas. It took me quite a while to get used to the WP way of doing things. They have a "Wikipedia: The Missing Manual" for editors - it is about 100 pages! "Sheesh, writing for WP is a lot of work!" Yeah, it's not like dashing off a blog post on your own blog; it isn't supposed to be. The rules can be annoying but in the main they do make for a better online resource.

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2015, 05:19:55 am »
btw, if you have a bibliography of your magazine articles, or maybe just of the most significant ones, we could add the most important. Good bibliographic entries would include the publication name, the company that published it and their location, date of pub, article title, author(s) in case there were co-authors, and at least the starting page number. The "archive" text that you've set up e.g. for DSOA is good but not enough by itself - by itself it falls to the "self-published" attack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf