Author Topic: Idea for a first YouTube Video  (Read 3007 times)

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: Idea for a first YouTube Video
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2024, 12:08:53 am »
But... But... But... I though you thought all Youtube videos were useless?!? :-DD

Jokes aside, just release something out to the ether with good audio, good lighting, a camera sitting on a tripod so it doesn't shake, a good video editor and plenty of time to acommodate shooting the video and editing it.

After releasing a few videos and re-watching them, make a decision on the direction and style you would take.

Good luck and welcome to the marvelous jungle of youtoob. :-+
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online tggzzzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2024, 12:21:07 am »
But... But... But... I though you thought all Youtube videos were useless?!? :-DD

Have a look at the possible channel names :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2024, 12:38:11 am »
I’ve been inspired by a recent thread to start my own YouTube channel. I’d welcome your thoughts on a possible first video. A possible script and indication of the visuals are....

Video Title: Review of the New Bus Pirate 5

I’ve occasionally thought it would be useful to have a Bus Pirate for quick-and-dirty peek/poke and protocol analysis of modern communications over busses like SPI, I2C. I’ve hesitated because the Bus Pirate 3 is distinctly long in the tooth, but the Bus Pirate 4 “upgrade” can’t do as much as the Bus Pirate 3.

So, what do you think? Should I do it?

Which of these channel names do you think would be most appropriate?
MyTimeIsMoreValuableThanYours
LookAtMe
WotACleverDudeIAm
YetMoreMonetisedClickbait

How about MoreUselessVideos?  >:D It seems your script doesn't include any actual testing. When doing a review, I work according to a test plan (crafted to verify the instrument's specifications and beyond) to go through the functionality and limits of a piece of test equipment. For an oscilloscope that means a couple of days work for doing just the tests. Along the way the testing also provides a good feel of how the instrument operates and where the UI is good or bad.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline shabaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2024, 12:43:58 am »
Regarding camera on tripod, although I agree, just to play devil's advocate, some manufacturers prefer short product reviews to be done with a mobile phone, slightly shaky being OK, because that's 'keeping it real', i.e. seems a more authentic genuine review, than a polished presentation. Perhaps that works well for short 'how-to' videos sometimes, for particular single features, or a quick 'unboxing' (I don't usually watch those, but they are occasionally helpful to get a quick overview of what's going to be supplied with the product).
Also, sounds superficial/cruel to say, but this is also why, even for official videos, they prefer to choose someone that they believe looks average rather than good-looking.

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2024, 01:22:54 am »
Oh, so that's why Allie is not doing those Keysight scope tutorials...
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2024, 01:41:05 am »
I’ve been inspired by a recent thread to start my own YouTube channel. I’d welcome your thoughts on a possible first video. A possible script and indication of the visuals are....

Video Title: Review of the New Bus Pirate 5

I’ve occasionally thought it would be useful to have a Bus Pirate for quick-and-dirty peek/poke and protocol analysis of modern communications over busses like SPI, I2C. I’ve hesitated because the Bus Pirate 3 is distinctly long in the tooth, but the Bus Pirate 4 “upgrade” can’t do as much as the Bus Pirate 3.

So, what do you think? Should I do it?

Which of these channel names do you think would be most appropriate?
MyTimeIsMoreValuableThanYours
LookAtMe
WotACleverDudeIAm
YetMoreMonetisedClickbait

How about MoreUselessVideos?  >:D

Why the "  >:D "?

It seems your script doesn't include any actual testing. When doing a review, I work according to a test plan (crafted to verify the instrument's specifications and beyond) to go through the functionality and limits of a piece of test equipment. For an oscilloscope that means a couple of days work for doing just the tests. Along the way the testing also provides a good feel of how the instrument operates and where the UI is good or bad.

It doesn't have any testing. It is an the feeling of unboxing and getting it to work. I'm trying as best I can to fit into the zeitgeist of modern youtube.

Mind you, I'm having trouble with the config experience being real-time and staying within the set limits. Currently I've spent several hours pissing around with the udev filters, without success. I've had some suggestions on the BP5 forum, but so far they haven't panned out.

There are two USB interfaces, one text the other binary, and it is pretty random which one minicom (terminal emulator) connects to. The workaround is to connect the terminal to /dev/ttyACM0; presumably the binary interface is /dev/ttyACM1.

While the syntax of the udev rules seems simple, I haven't spotted an explanation of the semantics and how that maps onto USB hierarchical structures. Once upon a time I might have bothered to learn that, but the attraction of learning yet another scrotty little Domain Scripting Language and underlying structures doesn't appeal to me.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: shabaz

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2024, 01:54:09 am »
Where it comes ACM interfaces, the best thing to do is make a udev rules which makes a symlink in /dev to a device entry you name yourself. So (for example) the text interface is on /dev/bp5-text and the binary on /dev/bp5-bin
What the rule is based on (USB interface) or a unique device feature depends on what you want and/or which unique features are available.

If you have multiple devices, you may want to add numbers but that is the next step.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 01:57:31 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: shabaz

Offline shabaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2024, 02:47:28 am »
EDIT: Please ignore this message, it's not a solution (it won't work when additional ttyACM's from other devices are present).

I'm using Windows normally, but gave it a shot, this is currently working for me (with Ubuntu):

I plugged in the BP5, and typed (a wide screen is needed, otherwise it will truncate the grep'd result on the right side!):

Code: [Select]
udevadm info /dev/ttyACM0 | grep ttyACM1
I made a note of the line containing DEVPATH= and then typed:

udevadm info /dev/ttyACM1 | grep ttyACM1
For me, the two results were:
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0/tty/ttyACM0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.2/tty/ttyACM1

Then, I created (as root user) in folder /etc/udev/rules.d a file called 97-buspirate.rules:

# BP5 udev rules file
#

SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}=="1209", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="7332", MODE="0666", DEVPATH=="/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0/tty/ttyACM0", SYMLINK+="bp0"

SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}=="1209", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="7332", MODE="0666", DEVPATH=="/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.2/tty/ttyACM1", SYMLINK+="bp1"

Then (still as root user) type:

/etc/init.d/udev restart
Then, un-plug and then re-insert the BP5, so that things take effect.

Since I don't know how to use minicom, I did (as root user)

apt install screen

Then, as a normal user, type:

screen /dev/bp0

The Bus Pirate text menu appears. To exit screen, press CTRL+A, then press \ then press y

I didn't see the VT100 colors, but I think that's a problem with my terminal settings, I was SSH'ing in to the Linux box from a Windows PC, using SecureCRT. Ordinarily I will use it with Windows, and in that case, MobaXterm displays the colors. SecureCRT doesn't for reasons I've not got to the bottom of, but at least there is the MobaXterm workaround.

EDIT: p.s. the LEDs are slowly growing on me! : ) Working in a dimly-lit room, it looks like something alien..
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 03:14:17 pm by shabaz »

The following users thanked this post: BILLPOD

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2024, 03:38:40 am »
full time youtubers incessantly begging for money, obsessed with becoming the next mrbeast  ::)

if you must do it full time specialize in one thing really well . know your subject better than the average viewer.
do you have a voice for radio or a face for television?  then welcome to the entertainment industry.
 if not, don't give up your day job IMO.
if like Me posting the odd yt video is just for the fun of it, not for profit hobby.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2024, 08:59:09 am »
know your subject better than the average viewer.
do you have a voice for radio or a face for television?

Knowing the subject better than the average viewer doesn't seem like a difficult hurdle to jump.

I think I have a TV/radio face/voice. Besides, the evidence is that it isn't important.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2024, 10:24:24 am »
Don't forget to get Brilliant as a sponsor. ::)

And NordVPN as a second sponsor.   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2024, 10:27:34 am »
Looking forward to this new channel, so that I can start a reaction channel featuring it
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, BU508A

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2024, 10:53:10 am »
I'm using Windows normally, but gave it a shot, this is currently working for me (with Ubuntu):

I plugged in the BP5, and typed (a wide screen is needed, otherwise it will truncate the grep'd result on the right side!):

udevadm info /dev/ttyACM0 | grep ttyACM1
I made a note of the line containing DEVPATH= and then typed:

udevadm info /dev/ttyACM1 | grep ttyACM1
For me, the two results were:
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0/tty/ttyACM0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.2/tty/ttyACM1

Then, I created (as root user) in folder /etc/udev/rules.d a file called 97-buspirate.rules:

# BP5 udev rules file
#

SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}=="1209", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="7332", MODE="0666", DEVPATH=="/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0/tty/ttyACM0", SYMLINK+="bp0"

SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}=="1209", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="7332", MODE="0666", DEVPATH=="/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.2/tty/ttyACM1", SYMLINK+="bp1"

This is not going to work. As soon as you plug a phone in or any other device that registers as an ttyACMx, the numbering will be off. You'll need to look for some kind of sub-device ID and use that for matching. So vendor id, model id and sub-device number should be used for the udev rule to make it universal. That way no matter which ttyACM the BP5 is assigned to, the symlinks will always work. You can also include the serialnumber (if the USB device has one) and have specific devices attach to specific symlinks.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2024, 12:04:39 pm »
ttyACMx, the numbering will be off. You'll need to look for some kind of sub-device ID and use that for matching. So vendor id, model id and sub-device number should be used for the udev rule to make it universal. That way no matter which ttyACM the BP5 is assigned to, the symlinks will always work. You can also include the serialnumber (if the USB device has one) and have specific devices attach to specific symlinks.

That was my presumption as well.

I haven't seen any definition of the mapping between what tools tell me is on the usb bus, and what can be put in a filter. So what would be suitable filters, given

usb-devices output is
T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=04 Cnt=02 Dev#= 16 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=ef(misc ) Sub=02 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1209 ProdID=7332 Rev=01.01
S:  Manufacturer=Bus Pirate
S:  Product=Bus Pirate 5
S:  SerialNumber=123456789012
C:  #Ifs= 5 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=02(commc) Sub=02 Prot=00 Driver=cdc_acm
I:  If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=0a(data ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=cdc_acm
I:  If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=02(commc) Sub=02 Prot=00 Driver=cdc_acm
I:  If#= 3 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=0a(data ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=cdc_acm
I:  If#= 4 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage

Or the usbview output is
Bus Pirate 5
Manufacturer: Bus Pirate
Serial Number: 123456789012
Speed: 12Mb/s (full)
Bus:   1
Address:  16
USB Version:  2.00
Device Class: ef(misc )
Device Subclass: 02
Device Protocol: 01
Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 64
Number of Configurations: 1
Vendor Id: 1209
Product Id: 7332
Revision Number:  1.01

Config Number: 1
Number of Interfaces: 5
Attributes: 80
MaxPower Needed: 100mA

Interface Number: 0
Name: cdc_acm
Alternate Number: 0
Class: 02(comm.)
Sub Class: 02
Protocol: 00
Number of Endpoints: 1

Endpoint Address: 81
Direction: in
Attribute: 3
Type: Int.
Max Packet Size: 8
Interval: 16ms

Interface Number: 1
Class: 0a(data )
Sub Class: 00
Number of Endpoints: 2

Endpoint Address: 02
Direction: out
Attribute: 2
Type: Bulk
Max Packet Size: 64
Interval: 0ms

Endpoint Address: 82

Interface Number: 2
Class: 02(comm.)
Sub Class: 02
Number of Endpoints: 1

Endpoint Address: 83
Attribute: 3
Type: Int.
Max Packet Size: 8
Interval: 16ms

Interface Number: 3
Class: 0a(data )
Sub Class: 00

Endpoint Address: 04

Endpoint Address: 84

Interface Number: 4
Name: usb-storage
Class: 08(stor.)
Sub Class: 06
Protocol: 50

Endpoint Address: 05

Endpoint Address: 85

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2024, 01:42:52 pm »
You can try to look up the ACM devices from the BP5 in sysfs and trace back to the device driver / bus instance they belong to. From there you might be able to spot a useful discriminator to seperate the text and binary interface.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2024, 02:39:33 pm »
You can try to look up the ACM devices from the BP5 in sysfs and trace back to the device driver / bus instance they belong to. From there you might be able to spot a useful discriminator to seperate the text and binary interface.

Well, I have spent too much time trying and failing. Yes, I'm profoundly ignorant of USB and udev, and have absolutely no inclination to change that. Fundamentally this information should be supplied by the manufacturer. Since this is a new device, I will cut them some slack - and wait until a usable workaround is announced.

If it doesn't appear, then I'll point it out. I'll probably be one of many doing that.

I'll just use /dev/ttyACM0 and call it a day.

Offline shabaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2024, 03:09:32 pm »
I didn't think of additional ttyACMs, good point.. I can't find a way to do it either : (
I could only come up with this not-so-great workaround. I have tested by inserting another ttyACM device, and it seems to function OK (replace 'screen' with minicom etc), and save with 755 permissions or similar. I'm not very good with bash so I'm sure this could be improved a lot. It assumes that the lower ttyACM value out of the pair will be for the text console, this seems to repeatably be the case with my BP5. Currently it checks just for ttyACM0 to 9, it's really ugly:

#!/bin/bash

PORT="none"
for i in {0..9}
do
  if udevadm info /dev/ttyACM$i | grep -q 'Pirate'
  then
    echo "Pirate device found at /dev/ttyACM$i"
    PORT=/dev/ttyACM$i
    break
  fi
done

# execute screen on the port if it was found
if [ "$PORT" != "none" ]
then
  screen $PORT 115200
else
  echo "No Pirate device found"
fi

« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 03:17:57 pm by shabaz »

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2024, 01:05:08 am »
if you must do it full time specialize in one thing really well . know your subject better than the average viewer.
do you have a voice for radio or a face for television?  then welcome to the entertainment industry.  if not, don't give up your day job IMO.

As someone who's made > 200 technical videos as part of his job:  early on I made the very deliberate decision not to appear on camera, despite many, many, many people telling me that my audience needed to see my face in order to "engage" with me or to keep their attention.  I told them that if the content itself wasn't engaging or interesting on its own, seeing my face wasn't going to make it any better* ....  :-DD 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

There are successful video creators who appear in person (Keysight's Daniel Bogdanoff or Johnnie Hancock, and of course Dave) and others whose face you rarely see (Alan, W2AEW).  So I think there is room for both types of videos: you have to choose what works best for you.

* For better or for worse, it is actually my voice in all of the videos.  I don't have the budget to hire a voice actor :)
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2024, 01:53:24 am »
Nice presentations.
I agree, the face is not necessary if your content is good.

May I ask you what you use to record these videos?
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2024, 02:02:54 am »
I imagine a Jerry Walker style intro section - and a clean-starched-shirted presenter  :-+

I don't know Jerry Walker, but it wouldnt be a clean starched presenter.

As my daughter once said with a strong tone of incredulity, "I didn't know you had an iron!" . I pointed out that I had owned it longer than I had owned her.

I might even wear a 50yo T-shirt, but I could sell it for a surprisingly large amount of money. FFI, spelunk in the TEA thread :)

So this is just a "cunning plan" to sell a collectable  t-shirt?

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2024, 09:20:53 am »
May I ask you what you use to record these videos?

Almost every video I do is "narrated / animated PowerPoint" which I record using Camtasia.  Quite frankly, I probably use < 5% of Camtasia's features:  the "editing" is just me cutting out the parts where I made mistakes.  I'm assuming that most other screen recording tools would also work.

I do occasionally make "live action" videos and edit those with Camtasia as well.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_FschnxSBa4

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/pauldenisowski_keurig-meets-the-rs-hmc8015-activity-7095861292766281728-ti3_/

Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2024, 09:29:54 am »
I imagine a Jerry Walker style intro section - and a clean-starched-shirted presenter  :-+

I don't know Jerry Walker, but it wouldnt be a clean starched presenter.

As my daughter once said with a strong tone of incredulity, "I didn't know you had an iron!" . I pointed out that I had owned it longer than I had owned her.

I might even wear a 50yo T-shirt, but I could sell it for a surprisingly large amount of money. FFI, spelunk in the TEA thread :)

So this is just a "cunning plan" to sell a collectable  t-shirt?

Not really; it is too fragile, and I could only just squeeze into it.

Eminently fleabayable, though.

There is a picture of it in this forum, but people have asked me not to post it again :)

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2024, 01:12:05 pm »
My advice... lol

You need more light for the camera. Nope, even more.... Still more... Keep going.... Do your eyes hurt yet? Ok, add some more. ;)

Also, get a good microphone. Good audio makes sub-par video quality look better, but crap audio will make the best video look crap. Ain't the human brain weird? :D

Now, turn on the camera and start talking, keep retaking the video until you get bored, you don't have to do it all in one take. Then chop 90% of the crap away in editing, add a SHORT intro logo if you prefer and upload. Oh, don't forget to up the colour saturation juussttt a little, especially if your lighting is crap.

The next one will be better, I promise. :)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2024, 01:25:45 pm »
Now, turn on the camera and start talking, keep retaking the video until you get bored, you don't have to do it all in one take. Then chop 90% of the crap away in editing,

But I'm trying to capture the zeitgesst of modern youtube channels!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2024, 11:38:55 pm »
Now, turn on the camera and start talking, keep retaking the video until you get bored, you don't have to do it all in one take. Then chop 90% of the crap away in editing,

But I'm trying to capture the zeitgesst of modern youtube channels!

You need at least two Bird wattmeters in cascade, plus a CB radio you can key up and say "Aaauuudddio!"whilst you watch them "Bird Watts".

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf