Author Topic: OSHW Logo Generator  (Read 6972 times)

Offline matthewbadeauTopic starter

OSHW Logo Generator
« on: September 10, 2016, 10:55:27 am »
Hello everyone, I recently watched Dave's OSHW logo video and wrote a simple application to generate your own logo based on his idea.
Here's a link: https://matthewbadeau.github.io/OSHW-Logo-Autogen/

It's not complete, I really want to get the other two designs working as well. Also, I wanted to clean up the interface a little and actually make it work on Firefox. Right now, I've only tested it on Chrome.

Let me know what you think. The current lettering was chosen because I was concerned about how it would show up on PCBs or in print. The font "weight" might be a little bit of an overkill.

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
Re: OSHW Logo Generator
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 12:38:13 pm »
Nice, but an option to download a 1-bpp .BMP so that the Eagle ulp can import it directly would be helpful....

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 02:07:32 pm »
That logo with the 7 categories looks like art work that designed by engineers.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 01:25:21 pm »
That logo with the 7 categories looks like art work that designed by engineers.

:-DD It's true, actually. I've made some updates. It should look a *little* better, but still not amazing.

**EDIT** I should mention that the downloader option only works on Chrome right now!!

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 01:54:18 pm »
Cool
I'm of the opinion now that the letters in the logo don't look good, but I'd still keep that option for that like it.
I think it should be text below the logo (remove the Open Source Hardware Text) as many have suggested.
e.g. OSHW-SPDMFBC
With partial compliance a lower case letter. No compliance get no letter and the string is shorter (but centered)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:16:30 pm by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: ludzinc, matthewbadeau

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 04:40:08 pm »
The "d" needs to be adjusted up and left a little bit and it will look a lot better, also the option for dave's idea doesn't seem to work, or at least it doesn't preview.

Also I think it might look good if the options populated from the center point outward, regardless of what they were, I think it would look a bit cleaner than having semi random spaces open, but it wouldn't make it as easy to do a quick glance to see what is allowed and what isn't. Dave's idea solves that though making the label look good regardless.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:42:20 pm by XOIIO »

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 10:58:21 pm »
The "d" needs to be adjusted up and left a little bit and it will look a lot better, also the option for dave's idea doesn't seem to work, or at least it doesn't preview.

Also I think it might look good if the options populated from the center point outward, regardless of what they were, I think it would look a bit cleaner than having semi random spaces open, but it wouldn't make it as easy to do a quick glance to see what is allowed and what isn't. Dave's idea solves that though making the label look good regardless.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll make some changes later today.

Also, I feel like a bit of a dummy and didn't click on the video discussion. I'll move this over there: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-921-open-source-hardware-problems-solved!/

Offline jimdeane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 04:10:23 am »
Cool
I'm of the opinion now that the letters in the logo don't look good, but I'd still keep that option for that like it.
I think it should be text below the logo (remove the Open Source Hardware Text) as many have suggested.
e.g. OSHW-SPDMFBC
With partial compliance a lower case letter. No compliance get no letter and the string is shorter (but centered)

So, basically an OSHW Geek Code https://www.ifohancroft.com/geek.html?

The following users thanked this post: apelly

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 05:13:12 am »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: apelly

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf