Author Topic: Repainting an Instrument Case  (Read 943 times)

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
Repainting an Instrument Case
« on: December 13, 2019, 08:18:32 pm »
I have a piece of test equipment that needs the case repainting. I know how to strip it, I have a color match but the surface texture of the old paint is a puzzle. Running my fingers across the surface it's not smooth, it has a slightly rough surface, not as rough as the old Hammerite paint that produced actual wrinkles but something similar to art paper or perhaps canvas.

How can I reproduce a surface finish like this?
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
Re: Repainting an Instrument Case
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 08:43:53 pm »
See if there is a texture spray at either a paint shop or an art shop. Spray that on first, then spray over with the color. Would this be similar to the texture on some Tektronix equipment, or like the "leather" texture on some HP equipment?

Offline duak

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 11:52:26 pm »
I've been able to get a textured surface by patting the paint with a sponge after it's been sprayed and is thickening.  It takes a bit of experimentation. Some paints may not work well or even dissolve the sponge. Glossy paints have a leveling agent so it's better to use a flat type.

To get a wrinkled finish, spray a lacquer paint on a dried enamel finish.  The carrier in lacquer paints is a strong solvent that dissolves the enamel and if conditions are right forms wrinkles.  If not, you get bumps or waves.

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 10:28:17 am »
Thank you for the supplies but I now have a solution. A local car body shop has a textured paint that is meant to be applied to car bumpers after repair and the finish is very close to what I am looking for. The color is wrong, but a couple of layers of the correct shade on top of the textured paint should look OK.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 05:48:40 pm »
That textured paint is a PVA paint, applied with a foam roller. Works quite well, and is reasonably durable as well, though the covering coats are not as resistant as if they are applied to bare metal. You might want to try just using the foam roller and your mixed paint, though your case could also have a powder coat giving the textured finish, or even a stick on vinyl.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf