Author Topic: Identify this car?  (Read 18973 times)

Offline james_sTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Identify this car?
« on: October 29, 2019, 05:33:24 am »
If this is too far off topic please feel free to delete it but I'm hoping with enough eyeballs someone out there can identify the make, model and possibly even year of the car that stops at the end of my driveway before a blonde girl gets out, runs up and snatches the mail right off my porch then hops into the car which drives off before her foot is even off the ground. I have filed a report with the local sheriff and am going to provide any additional information I can get.

https://youtu.be/aSYq7Vwm5Mg

While I'm extremely annoyed, the funny part of all this is that the main thing that was stolen was a package of empty priority mail shipping boxes that anyone can order free of charge from the USPS. I'm super annoyed though because I have a secure locking mailbox out by the street but the mailman simply left my mail right in plain sight on my front porch when he delivered the boxes! I've lived here 15 years and this is the first time I've ever had anything stolen. Naturally it happens the one day this week that I was at the office downtown rather than working from home.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Identify this car?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 05:43:39 am »
Hard to make out what car, but this..

^ video contains Nord VPN ad.  :scared:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 05:51:18 am by Ed.Kloonk »
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: tooki, james_s

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 06:45:36 am »
I rotated the video and zoomed in on the section that shows the car.
Might be easier for people to identify it.

Its likely a crime of opportunity. They probably drove past your house on their way home.
So they will likely drive past again. If you setup another camera with a better view and review the footage each day you might be able to catch the same car and get the licence plate.
Those rims look like they may not be stock. So that could help.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:51:10 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo, BrianHG, james_s, Mr. Scram

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 07:17:15 am »
The good news is that there are a lot less dark station wagons than  there sedans, suv's , trucks and minivans.
Have you checked with neighbors in case their cameras caught a better view ?

The license plate is in the picture but way too fuzzy.
I yelled "enhance!" to my computer and all it gave me was a big fuzzy blob. It works much better in the movies :)

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 07:43:00 am »

The license plate is in the picture but way too fuzzy.
I yelled "enhance!" to my computer and all it gave me was a big fuzzy blob. It works much better in the movies :)

Get that guy from CSI on it!  :P
iratus parum formica

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 08:48:38 am »
Sort of looks like a Rav4? really odd angle.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 08:50:32 am »
my mind is saying Mazda,

edit: looks like the new 2019 model rav4,

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 08:54:54 am by Rerouter »

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 08:57:16 am »
my mind is saying Mazda,

edit: looks like the new 2019 model rav4,

:o Damn, good eye....  :clap:

My question is: WTF is anyone who can afford such a car doing going around stealing mail and blank empty boxes???
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:01:05 am by BrianHG »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 09:00:34 am »
Well they have to pay the installments somehow :)

Edit: Its only been out for 1 year, so in a geographical area, you likely have only a small number of suspects.

As to how to find stuff like this, google is getting smarter... you can add a car model and an angle, like "side" or "rear", and it will serve up images from that angle....
In the past it was much harder, having to pull tricks like exporting frames and stitching them in a panorama program. to get the entire vehicle in frame to compare and reduce the noise a bit.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:08:02 am by Rerouter »

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 09:06:36 am »
The car itself is the Mazda CX-9

The back is similar to the Rav4 but the back headlight curves upwards as the one in the video and the brake light is round, not downwards and slotted as the Rav4. Plus that wheel rim is very common in other Mazda Models.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:08:26 am by Black Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline Twoflower

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 09:10:41 am »
A small montage of few frames from that video. Hope that helps.

The following users thanked this post: rs20, boffin, james_s, Mr. Scram

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 09:11:10 am »
ok, then mid 2016-2019, still a very new vehicle.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 09:12:16 am »
The car itself is the Mazda CX-9

The back is similar to the Rav4 but the back headlight curves upwards as the one in the video and the brake light is round, not downwards and slotted as the Rav4. Plus that wheel rim is very common in other Mazda Models.
Better eye....  The metal behind the rear window is a closer match to the video compared to the thick RAV4's window.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 09:35:59 am »
One thing i just noticed in the video, It has two mount points on the roof.
Could be the typical rails on a mazda CX-9.
They are adjusted to a non-standard position.

Also, I stitched the whole car together badly, but it might help.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:54:45 am by Psi »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, BrianHG, james_s, Syntax Error

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 09:49:42 am »
The tail lights still don not match the tail lights in the Mazda CX-9 photos.  Maybe a different year....

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 10:16:19 am »
more like these 2014 CX-5 lights

One thing that still puzzles me is the distance between the number plate and the rear window.
It's quite short, it doesnt look big enough for a Mazda.
They have more space there plus room for the mazda logo.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:18:49 am by Psi »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 10:18:44 am »
If this is too far off topic please feel free to delete it but I'm hoping with enough eyeballs someone out there can identify the make, model and possibly even year of the car that stops at the end of my driveway before a blonde girl gets out, runs up and snatches the mail right off my porch then hops into the car which drives off before her foot is even off the ground. I have filed a report with the local sheriff and am going to provide any additional information I can get.
For starters you have to move your camera so it catches the face of anyone entering your property.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 10:35:49 am »
ok, My guess is a 2016 Mazda CX-9

The following users thanked this post: JoeO, tooki, BBBbbb, james_s, Syntax Error

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 10:47:38 am »
ok, My guess is a 2016 Mazda CX-9

(Attachment Link)
The length, position, and mounting of the rear window wiper blade finally matches in the 2 photos...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 02:44:36 pm »
Wow you guys are great, I knew I came to the right place, I'll pass this thread on to the police officer handling the case. Mail theft is a federal crime.

I live on a dead end street, my house is not on the way to anywhere. I got in touch with a neighbor who had an Amazon package swiped by the same girls, he said he has better footage of the car and a glimpse of the driver. I'm going to put him in touch with the deputy I talked to last night.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, tooki, Cubdriver

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2019, 02:54:38 pm »
For starters you have to move your camera so it catches the face of anyone entering your property.

There are physical constraints on where I can place cameras and everything is a compromise. I have others but this one happened to capture the best view.

The girls obviously anticipated there being cameras because the grabber covered her face the whole time and the driver stopped the car out in the street, had they driven onto my property I'd have good footage of their license plate but they didn't. Of course with the benefit of hindsight I could easily place a camera in a better location but then it could easily be worse for another incident.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2019, 03:14:14 pm »
Man, how pathetic must one be to be stealing others’ mail?!?

Any chance of hiding another camera in a tree or something where it can catch license plates?

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2019, 03:15:06 pm »
@james_s: Sorry to read you were targetted by this vermin. Seems to be quite a problem over there in the USA.

I understand the position of the rail mounts on the CX9 depends on the roof option. This one (I think) has the (none hard top) skylight option, because the front mounts are located midway.

The gait (walking) of the thief, is that of a mid-teenage to mid-twenties female; someone who might go jogging in the park, but is not a serious athlete. She hid her face but not the color of her trainers of shape of her a*. The thirty second pause in the road was probably to put on her 'disguise'. And if that's a wig, she's likely to be a brunette. Just feel sorry for her, in that she'll be in the criminal justice system for stealing empty packets.

Happy hunting  :box:

edit: It's ambiguous in the image, but is that someone sat in the back wearing a white baseball cap?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 03:23:53 pm by Syntax Error »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, james_s

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2019, 03:18:35 pm »
Also, does USPS offer any kind of delivery management? (I’ve been living outside of USA for 10 years, so I’m not up to speed). Swiss Post has this, where you register, and then for any deliveries that can’t be deposited into the locked part of the mailbox (be it due to size, or because of requiring a signature, as in registered mail), I get an email and text message, and then can log into the website and reschedule, redirect, or hold the item. (Or approve it to be left in the building foyer, if it’s not especially valuable.)

I wanna say that UPS and FedEx have similar services, too.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2019, 03:20:05 pm »

There are physical constraints on where I can place cameras and everything is a compromise. I have others but this one happened to capture the best view.

The girls obviously anticipated there being cameras because the grabber covered her face the whole time and the driver stopped the car out in the street, had they driven onto my property I'd have good footage of their license plate but they didn't. Of course with the benefit of hindsight I could easily place a camera in a better location but then it could easily be worse for another incident.

In Portugal that would be impossible to change the camera position and show a street, regarding privacy laws:

Pode um cidadão instalar câmaras de vigilância em redor da sua residência?

Sim, mas as câmaras deverão ser colocadas de forma a garantir a protecção da privacidade de outros cidadãos.

Envolvendo a videovigilância intrusão ou restrições na área dos direitos, liberdades e garantias — por exemplo, os direitos à imagem, à liberdade de movimentos e à reserva da vida privada e familiar —, cabe à lei decidir em que medida estes sistemas podem ser utilizados e, em especial, assegurar que as restrições se limitam ao necessário para salvaguardar outros interesses fundamentais.

Assim, a colocação das câmaras de vigilância deve ser feita de forma a que estas apenas abranjam a sua propriedade, o que exclui a captação de imagens da via pública, de propriedades de terceiros ou caminhos de uso comum (e.g., servidões de passagem).

Para além disso, a videovigilância efectuada por recurso às referidas câmaras deve realizar‑se segundo determinadas condições técnicas, o que implica a contratação de profissionais ou empresas de segurança privada, munidos de licença e alvará válidos, os quais podem então montar o sistema.

Translation:

Can a citizen install surveillance cameras around their home?

Yes, but cameras should be placed to ensure the protection of the privacy of other citizens.

Involving intrusion video surveillance or restrictions in the area of ​​rights, freedoms and guarantees - for example, rights to image, freedom of movement and the reservation of private and family life - it is up to the law to decide to what extent these systems can be used and in particular, ensure that restrictions are limited to what is necessary to safeguard other fundamental interests.

Thus, the placement of the surveillance cameras should be such that they only cover their property, which excludes the capture of roadway images, third party properties or commonly used paths (e.g., Rights-of-way).

In addition, video surveillance using such cameras must be carried out under certain technical conditions, which entails the hiring of valid private security professionals or companies, who may then set up the system.

in https://www.direitosedeveres.pt/q/o-cidadao-o-estado-e-as-instituicoes-internacionais/seguranca/pode-um-cidadao-instalar-camaras-de-vigilancia-em-redor-da-sua-residencia
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 03:22:29 pm by Black Phoenix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf