Author Topic: Identify this car?  (Read 19050 times)

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
Re: Identify this car?
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2019, 05:30:53 am »
Trick: Setup fake mail where you leave items where it is necessary for her to use 2 hands so she cannot cover her face when leaving your property.  Have a camera covering that angle and shell be nailed.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2019, 05:52:46 am »
If they are stupid enough to return to the crime scene again to try again, yes it could work.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2019, 06:03:32 am »
Is that an identifying mark on the bottom of the door?

Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2019, 06:35:28 am »

No, I checked the video again and is a reflection of the floor. The same one moves while the door is being open and close.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2019, 08:58:35 am »
I got some videos from a neighbor showing a much better view of the car, I was surprised to see that it is in fact a Toyota. Unfortunately no front license plate, illegal in this state, not sure if they took it off for their spree or if they never had it, that doesn't seem to be widely enforced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/84lpwcfclvcvjhe/3_Package%20_Thievery_2019-10-28.avi?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uc4q4r33bs0rw4b/4_Package%20_Thievery_2019-10-28.avi?dl=1

Just FYI, none of my computers has the H265 codec required to decode those.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2019, 09:03:23 am »

No, I checked the video again and is a reflection of the floor. The same one moves while the door is being open and close.
Nope, its a reflection from the leaves on the ground.  Watch the video, it moves as the door is opened and closed.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2019, 09:29:00 am »

Just FYI, none of my computers has the H265 codec required to decode those.

Download VLC Portable from PortableApps. It runs that video without any problem or need to extra download of codecs.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2019, 09:48:31 am »
Download VLC Portable from PortableApps. It runs that video without any problem or need to extra download of codecs.

Thanks. I have VLC on my Linux box and it worked correctly but when I just click to open the file the OS uses Xplayer by default and that did not work.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2019, 01:21:24 pm »

Some possible identifying marks on the vehicle, after stacking/averaging several frames from the video?

Offline james_sTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2019, 03:44:38 pm »
Good eye on the sticker and possible door opener.

Yeah I really doubt they'll return to the same place again, there are thousands of other streets just like mine, and it's not as if they got a particularly spectacular haul. I mean the stuff they took from me is worthless. Of course with the benefit of hindsight I could easily set up a perfect trap to catch them, but any arrangement is a compromise and what would have worked to catch one person may be all wrong to catch the next.

I could also leave all kinds of nasty bait packages or something like a poop bucket boobytrap but having only ever experienced this one theft ever I could be waiting a very long time to nail somebody. I suppose I could try visiting more fertile hunting grounds for that. I also have to be careful to remain within the law, I mean I'd have no moral qualms about using truly dangerous bait packages since it's so very easy to avoid them by just not stealing from me but the courts don't see it that way.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2019, 04:19:52 pm »
Can't the police check the street cameras in the area for the car with no front license plate? Also the car roof mounts may also help with identification.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2019, 04:30:51 pm »
Both Bonnie and Clyde here would most likely have been carrying cell phones with them.  So it should be possible to correlate the presence of unusual phones with the time and location.  Another observation:  Bonnie has what looks like tattoos on her ankles, they are visible in many of the frames...

Of course, this kind of crime may not be considered serious enough for the police to spend a lot of time on;  this is definitely true in some countries / cities.  So crime goes on, and on, and on, and....

As an aside, it seems to me the only practical way for home owners to increase the odds of picking up useful information in situations like this, is to increase the resolution of the security cameras...   and/or setting up some perimeter cameras - with the idea of catching something decisive like a number plate.  The less work the cops have to do, the more likely it is that they will follow up.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2019, 05:07:14 pm »
The parcels are very to notice sitting there, it's shielded with lots of bushes and building on either side.
The thieves must have driven by before, or are following the delivery truck around and scooping them up later. They have some prior knowledge of those parcels being there.

There are tracking devices based upon WiFi or Bluetooth (cell phone, tablet, in-car nav etc). I believe it's constant polling/enumeration of unique device ID's.

Analytics companies make these, municipalities use them "for traffic patterns" along the freeways, and you can also track people's movement in shopping malls for retail analytics.
It's certainly creepy and the thieves would be broadcasting some unique ID's in proximity, if only it was logged.

"Smartphones with WiFi can now be used as an indicator of customer presence thanks to a WiFi mechanism that is common across all such devices: probe requests. These 802.11 management frames are transmitted at regular intervals from WiFi devices. The frames contain information that can be used to identify presence, time spent, and repeat visits within range of a WiFi access point. These devices can be detected by WiFi access points irrespective of its WiFi association state meaning that even if a user does not connect his or her device to the wireless network, the device's presence can still be detected while the device is within range of the network and the device's WiFi antenna is turned on."
Cisco Meraki Location Analytics

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2019, 05:41:20 pm »
The plot thickens! Maybe the real crime is that Mazda and Toyota are making doppelganger SUVs? At least we get to confirm the presence of aftermarket roof bars.

So handy of Perp1 to calibrate their height when getting out. According to the specs on the Toyota website, the door would be 68 inches/5ft8in about the pavement. So being right next to the door sets their height at around 5ft6in-7in. When Perp1 returned to the vehicle, we also get a handle on the height of the driver, Perp2. I suspect Perp2 is even shorter, about 5ft5in or less. As for the age of Perp1, I'd revise my estimate upwards; maybe mid 30s - or she's just a well worn teen? Could Bonnie & Clyde be mom and kid? This is wild speculation.

In the driveway video we do not see the Toyota arriving. Did they pull straight up or drive by slowly by first?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2019, 06:21:20 pm »
I thought it looked like there may be one or more tattoos on her ankles but I wasn't sure if that might just be her socks. Anybody find a reasonable shot?

I'm going to see if I can find anyone else with footage that might show them driving by. I do have video of the neighbor's Amazon package being delivered but didn't think that was useful. Also someone drives by the other direction right as they stop in front of my house but it's unlikely they would be paying any attention. The problem with just about any camera footage is that people normally have the cameras covering their own property, not traffic on the street. I'm going to seriously evaluate installing one out there though, I can enable motion detection with zones so that it's not wasting disk space recording every time the trees move in the breeze.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2019, 07:22:09 pm »
The USPS Postal Inspection Service does take mail theft seriously...

They have a page here for reporting mail and package theft.  "Postal Inspectors investigate these crimes and arrest thousands of mail and package thieves each year."  Sounds promising!   These guys probably have access to cell phone tower records and anything else they need.  They will likely be much more interested than the local police department...   especially with the video evidence.

https://www.uspis.gov/tips-prevention/mail-theft/

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 07:24:44 pm by SilverSolder »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2019, 07:31:27 pm »
I did report mine there. The Amazon package was I believe delivered by a private contractor so I don't think usps would care about that.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2019, 07:46:13 pm »
Apparently the penalties for getting nailed for mail theft are quite serious...

Mail theft carries a penalty of either five years imprisonment, a fine, or both!

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2019, 08:01:57 pm »
...etc...
I'm going to see if I can find anyone else with footage that might show them driving by.
...etc...

The reason I was asking about the arrival at your nieghbors was, did they scope the front porch first or did they drive straight in; as if they somehow knew where they were going?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2019, 08:31:52 pm »
Unfortunately I don't know, I'll check the other clip and see if the timestamp is close. I suspect mine was a simple crime of opportunity as my mail sat out there for hours.

I still can't figure out why she grabbed those boxes, they're in a stack under clear shrinkwrap, it's plainly obvious that they're just empty boxes. Clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2019, 06:23:53 am »
I got some more footage from the same neighbor.

Here's the Amazon delivery taking place:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4tptdqe0ene06o/1_Package%20_Delivery_2019-10-28.avi?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gygqibb92cuoa9r/2_Package%20_Delivery_2019-10-28.avi?dl=1

Here's the suspect vehicle driving past, turning around and then pulling into the driveway:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtj24fly7fsarht/3b_Package%20_Thievery_2019-10-28.avi?dl=1

Probably not a lot more to be gained as the windows are tinted dark all around but there may be some new content hiding in a frame or two. What I need to do is put together the best pictures of the suspects and the vehicle and then I'll print up some posters and put them up in the neighborhood and the bus shelters in the nearby park & ride, that gets a lot of eyeballs.

The following users thanked this post: Psi, Syntax Error

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2019, 11:03:11 am »
Certainly looks like they were driving around looking for packages. Maybe they knew the delivery driver was someone who left packages on doorsteps without reading the full delivery instructions? At least you have the evidence should the delivery company try to alter the facts. I note that blue shoes with white soles are in with the kids. Nice to see you're using old fashioned social media; maybe other people in the community didn't even realise that they were victims?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2019, 11:16:06 am »
It looks like Bonnie might have a tattoo of a butterfly on both sides of her right ankle?

All pix are right side of right foot, except the last one (marked Left) is left side of right foot.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 11:40:43 am by SilverSolder »

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2019, 11:47:09 am »
This is really like CSI... :-DD Don't mess with EE and IT guys... >:D

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2019, 12:31:21 pm »
It looks like Bonnie might have a tattoo of a butterfly on both sides of her right ankle?

Well spotted, exactly the sort of info needed!

If it's in a small town/suburb lookup who does pedicures in the local mall/shopping area and ask them if they know who it is.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 12:36:18 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf