Author Topic: Identify this car?  (Read 19017 times)

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Identify this car?
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2019, 09:48:08 am »
She has ankle tatoos?

I never understood why crims have tatts. It just seems counter intuitive.
As someone with lots of tattoos, I wonder this, too!

I never understood why crims have tatts. It just seems counter intuitive.

I've wondered that too, however I think it largely comes down to the fact that poor judgement tends to be involved in putting someone into a position where they're swiping packages off of porches instead of being at work.

I'm not entirely convinced those are tattoos though, they look like they certainly could be, however they could also be skin tight socks similar to the yoga pants she's wearing.
Tattoos aren’t a sign of “poor judgement”,

Mine are! Every single one coincided with evening bender I had in the city.

;)
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2019, 12:31:16 pm »
The girl with the snake tatoo? More like the girl with the purple panties!

:-[ How embarrassing!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 02:12:21 pm by Syntax Error »

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Offline james_sTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2019, 03:09:45 pm »
Tattoos aren’t a sign of “poor judgment”, only of different priorities. I’m very aware that my visible tattoos aren’t helpful in the job market, but it’s a cost I’m willing to pay, because the personal benefits to me outweigh that.

Tattoos combined with criminal activities are a sign of poor judgement. Tattoos in and of themselves are not something I have a problem with, not really my cup of tea but some are cool and hey, whatever. If one has the money to spare I'm not gonna judge them.

Lots of really crappy ones out there though and if one has any intention of doing anything where being easily identifiable is a negative or wishes to have a customer facing job then it's most certainly an indication of bad judgement to have readily visible tattoos that are difficult to conceal.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2019, 10:28:05 pm »
LOL, the days where visible tattoos categorically rule out customer facing work are long gone, dude. Pretty much the only major holdout is airlines. Even banks (!!) are now relaxing about visible tattoos with customer facing employees. You now see retail employees with facial tattoos. (Edit: come to think of it, I know a guy with major facial ink who had it while working at a Circuit City 15+ years ago. So even that isn’t that new a development.) So no, even visible ink for public jobs isn’t “bad judgment”.

I “love” the circular logic of tattoo haters: “I think tattoos look unprofessional” - “what makes them unprofessional?” - “because customers like me think it’s unprofessional” - “so... you think it’s unprofessional because you think it’s unprofessional?”  :palm:  At no point does there ever emerge any logical rationale for why tattoos actually would be. (Obviously, talking about inoffensive tattoos. If you have nazi symbols or swear words or naked boobies tattooed, those are problematic on their own merits.)

The only thing where I agree with you is about crappy tattoos. I don’t know why anyone would get something shitty. (With the sole exception of “bad” drawings that are actually tattoos of drawings their kids made.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 10:29:53 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir, Black Phoenix

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2019, 10:51:25 pm »
LOL, the days where visible tattoos categorically rule out customer facing work are long gone, dude. Pretty much the only major holdout is airlines. Even banks (!!) are now relaxing about visible tattoos with customer facing employees. You now see retail employees with facial tattoos. (Edit: come to think of it, I know a guy with major facial ink who had it while working at a Circuit City 15+ years ago. So even that isn’t that new a development.) So no, even visible ink for public jobs isn’t “bad judgment”.

I “love” the circular logic of tattoo haters: “I think tattoos look unprofessional” - “what makes them unprofessional?” - “because customers like me think it’s unprofessional” - “so... you think it’s unprofessional because you think it’s unprofessional?”  :palm:  At no point does there ever emerge any logical rationale for why tattoos actually would be. (Obviously, talking about inoffensive tattoos. If you have nazi symbols or swear words or naked boobies tattooed, those are problematic on their own merits.)

The only thing where I agree with you is about crappy tattoos. I don’t know why anyone would get something shitty. (With the sole exception of “bad” drawings that are actually tattoos of drawings their kids made.)

And I know you love your tattoo. And I know it is meaningful to you. And I know it is special and memorializes something and tells the world how you want the world to see you and I know it tells your story and solipsism, solipsism, solipsism. That doesn’t matter. It is a thing that exists within the context of other things. And this particular thing exists within the context of marginalized working class poor white people and their marginalized working class artists. When you take that you are stealing culture.

Carve that on your neck motherf*cker.

https://medium.com/@honestlewis/tattoos-and-the-class-war-9e98c8d701fe

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2019, 01:17:49 am »
I don't want this to turn into a tattoo debate, it's irrelevant and not something I particularly care about one way or another. That said, it's still an outright fact that while visible tattoos will often not categorically rule out customer facing employment, they're virtually never an asset. The impact can range from nothing at all at best to your resume going in the bin at worst and that's going to depend on many factors. Art is subjective and a design that may have great meaning and appeal to you may be repulsive to someone else, but that's not to say one shouldn't get them if they want. Some are going to be considered tasteful by far more people than others and it's a roll of the dice. I personally would not normally turn someone down based on it but if their face was covered in what looked like prison tats or prominently visible tats likely to be considered obscene or politically charged I would likely avoid them. Anyway whatever, if that takes over the thread I'll consider it to have run its course and abandon it.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2019, 03:58:24 am »
The real point is not whether tattoos are good for upstanding members of society.  That can be debated.  But for someone involved in criminal activity it seems stupid.  Why be so distinctive that there is no difficulty identifying you on a security camera or in a lineup.  There was a guy in a city I used to live who was so into body mod that he split his tongue, had his whole visible face and arms tattooed with green scales and a few other little features.  Worked very hard to achieve his moniker of lizard man.  Everyone knew whenever he entered a store, club, home, church or whatever.  No chance whatever of going un-noticed.  Fortunately for him he wasn't into crime.

This girl has made herself easier to find with an identifying feature.  Made covering her face less effective. She could have worn stockings to cover the tattoo, but didn't think it through.  Add it to the list of dumb things like hitting the same location twice in quick succession and stealing a package of free boxes.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2019, 12:50:43 pm »

And I know you love your tattoo. And I know it is meaningful to you. And I know it is special and memorializes something and tells the world how you want the world to see you and I know it tells your story and solipsism, solipsism, solipsism. That doesn’t matter. It is a thing that exists within the context of other things. And this particular thing exists within the context of marginalized working class poor white people and their marginalized working class artists. When you take that you are stealing culture.

Carve that on your neck motherf*cker.

https://medium.com/@honestlewis/tattoos-and-the-class-war-9e98c8d701fe
Hah, wow. That dude is totally deluded. He knows literally nothing about tattoo history, insofar as even in the West, it spans all socioeconomic strata. (Yep, not only sailors were inked. So were the royalty.)

The real point is not whether tattoos are good for upstanding members of society.  That can be debated.  But for someone involved in criminal activity it seems stupid.  Why be so distinctive that there is no difficulty identifying you on a security camera or in a lineup.  There was a guy in a city I used to live who was so into body mod that he split his tongue, had his whole visible face and arms tattooed with green scales and a few other little features.  Worked very hard to achieve his moniker of lizard man.  Everyone knew whenever he entered a store, club, home, church or whatever.  No chance whatever of going un-noticed.  Fortunately for him he wasn't into crime.
Heh, I know him personally. Definitely not a criminal. (People mostly don't know that he's even got a phd in psychology. Part of his transformation was actually sort of an experiment!)

But yeah, it's astoundingly dumb to get visible ink if you plan to be a criminal. Alas, stupidity runs through all strata of society, as do tattoos, so they're bound to intersect at times.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2019, 04:37:48 pm »
I suppose I should be encouraging tattoos, especially in high crime areas. Heck maybe they should offer a reduced sentence for convicts willing to get a distinctive and difficult to cover tattoo as it would make identifying them the next time around that much easier.  :D

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, tooki

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2019, 06:03:30 pm »
Tolerance of those that are different from ourselves is important.  It works, as long as people tolerate us in return!   :)

Tattoos doesn't stop you becoming the boss of Goldman Sachs:

https://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/268618/marty-chavez-goldman-president/
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:28:54 pm by SilverSolder »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2019, 08:00:19 pm »
Is this the same vehicle at 00:31/00:58 ? https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/homeowners-fight-back-thieves-stealing-packages-porches-44406504
I'd mentioned the tatoos as something that could ID the thief.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2019, 09:33:45 pm »
Is this the same vehicle at 00:31/00:58 ? https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/homeowners-fight-back-thieves-stealing-packages-porches-44406504

Wow, I didn't realize this particular flavour of crime type was so popular among the pond scum...    23 million victims?    :--

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2019, 10:01:40 pm »
3 years ago? I seriously doubt the same person has been at it so long.

Yes it happens a lot and has been on the rise with so many people shopping online. It's relatively easy to commit and quite a few people get away with it as companies tend to just write off the losses and the police have bigger fish to fry. Hopefully the explosion of affordable high resolution security cameras and more people planting bait packages will reduce the frequency.

I've always loved the various bait videos out there. Bait cars, bait bikes, bait packages, I guess it's the same appeal some have for fishing, the rush of reeling in a big one. I think they should have bait programs in every city, I'd be more than happy to volunteer engineering.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2019, 10:17:20 pm »
james_s, I just want to say I am following this thread and rooting for a happy ending where the perps are caught.

In many cases it is young, stupid people who do it just for kicks and have no regard for others.

I have suffered a couple of break-ins and it is not only the value of what was stolen but the feeling of insecurity and powerlessness.

I hope your case can be solved.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2019, 12:04:42 am »

Don't get a Ring Door bell. You don't own the video it captures.
iratus parum formica

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2019, 12:22:01 am »
A doorbell cam would not be very useful to me anyway, there's nowhere to mount it that would get a good view. I'm more interested in capturing shots of suspects approaching/leaving and their vehicle. This mail thing has given me a real world situation to evaluate my setup against and I'm making a few adjustments accordingly.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2019, 12:27:37 am »
A doorbell cam would not be very useful to me anyway, there's nowhere to mount it that would get a good view. I'm more interested in capturing shots of suspects approaching/leaving and their vehicle. This mail thing has given me a real world situation to evaluate my setup against and I'm making a few adjustments accordingly.

lemme guess..

Does it go "Woof.. Woof.. Woof" ?
iratus parum formica

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2019, 03:12:57 am »
More likely the 1 - 2 punch with cameras. They will look down and away from the big obvious camera. But that just leaves them looking somewhere predictable for the return leg

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2019, 03:19:27 am »
My friends use the doorbell cam to get alerted and ID a delivery driver, and then they remotely open their garage door, where the parcel gets dropped off inside, and the door gets closed. All done over a cellphone.

There are also dedicated outdoor lock boxes, like a huge mailbox, bolted down.
I remember seeing some that are home made, a ESP8266 controlling a lock solenoid, battery powered.
One had a keypad and the delivery guy was given the combo to open the lock.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2019, 03:41:42 am »
You may want to look into game cameras.  They aren't particularly expensive and don't require wiring, just periodic checks to download the take.  They come with all the motion detection etc.  Obviously would need to have them either well hidden or very securely tied down.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2019, 05:50:58 am »
More likely the 1 - 2 punch with cameras. They will look down and away from the big obvious camera. But that just leaves them looking somewhere predictable for the return leg

That's more or less my plan. In order to try to expedite things I've decided to make a simple passive bait box. Nothing malicious here, just a bit of worthless junk that I don't care if someone steals it but not blatantly obvious that it's just bait either. I'll put an ebay shipping label on the box and leave it out on the porch in plain view on the days I work from home and see if anyone bites. This old transformer weighs enough that it's gonna take two hands to pick it up too.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2019, 09:56:08 am »
Truly evil!  >:D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2019, 11:21:51 am »
Simple, with an air of poetry.

:-+

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2019, 12:31:42 pm »
Hmmmm ..  I'd say risky !! What if they just happened to be looking for exactly that type transformer ! DOH
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2019, 12:33:10 pm »
Hmmmm ..  I'd say risky !! What if they just happened to be looking for exactly that type transformer ! DOH

Better cut off all the wires right where they exit the transformer so it can never be useful   :-DD

If you're going to all the trouble of baiting them, might as well get a $20 GPS/cell tracker and put that in the box.
Or any old cellphone running some software that sends you it's position every 15min would work.
You can pull it out and charge it back up each day.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:37:18 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf