Author Topic: IET. Worth it?  (Read 4536 times)

Online tom66Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
IET. Worth it?
« on: March 16, 2013, 01:40:21 am »
My university gives me four years IET membership for £10/year, so I've signed up for it. I get a pretty magazine every so often but I haven't used any other services.

But I don't know if I'll benefit particularly from it outside of university (as I think it's closer to £120/year.)

Does anyone have any opinion of the IET? Is it worth considering future membership?

I'm looking to become an electronics engineer (will leave with MEng), with an analog/power electronics focus, if that matters.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
Re: IET. Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 11:37:09 am »
It is useful to have the letters after your name. It shows that you are professional enough to want to keep up with the trends in electronics. Also could help when applying for a job. I know when I left Uni (97) I got some job interviews at firms who had a requirement of "must be in IEE" (as it was then). All they have to go on are the projects you have done so they are looking for anything that will indicate you are serious about your chosen profession.

Neil (MIET)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Online AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 12:02:01 pm »
When I was a student, the company I was working for during the holidays was very keen on IEE membership, and signed up all the apprentices for it.

I left them on graduation, and never actually went as far as getting full membership and a CEng, though - and it's not affected my professional career in the slightest. I've only ever even met one or two members that I'm aware of, and nobody important has ever suggested to me that I should join.

Personally I'd be very wary of companies who consider the extra letters after your name as being more important, or even anywhere near as important, as your skills, knowledge and interest in electronics.

Offline amiq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 01:26:38 pm »
The only reason that I keep paying my dues is to maintain Chartered Engineer status.  Is there any benefit in being a Chartered Engineer?  If your field is electronics then probably not, if you want to be an Electrical Engineer then it certainly is.  Likewise when/if you move into management it is useful.  In certain fields (Oil/Gas/Energy) Chartered Status will always be asked for.

If you want to become Chartered and are not to keen on the IET there are other insitutions that you can join through which you can obtain Chartered status.

Amiq (CEng IEE)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf