Author Topic: If you could choose any piece of tech to shoot or blow up, what would it be?  (Read 30817 times)

Offline AmperaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Yes I am a bit teed off, but I think this is a fun topic anyways.

What I mean is, what piece of tech has caused you so much anger, and so much grief that you want to cause as much physical harm to it as possible? I.E. Smash it into a wall, shoot it, put some explosives under it....

For me it would be my Logitech G930 headset which is one of the worst things you could ever possibly use. I will never touch a SINGLE thing from Logitech as long as I live.

The build quality is terrible as I know of 5 of them in my direct family, and 3 of them are using hot glue to be held together, one of them is useless because of a busted charging port, and four of them have had charging and connection issues.

This is a wireless headset, and it sounds great, but it doesn't hold a good charge, it constantly disconnects and reconnects like a North Korean internet connection, it doesn't allow you to change the focus on a window in Linux, and as I have already said, it appears to have the structural rigidity of Bakelite.

If I didn't rely on it for PC audio, I would gladly set a load of Tannerite underneath it and send it to hell.

Your turn.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:28:24 am by TwoOfFive »
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
iTunes Software ,back in the day my brother had a ipod(gen2 Nano, had to wiki it) It needed to get replaced under warranty(time1) and they included a note not to pirate music, and promptly deleted all non apple songs. I go back to loading all of the music back onto it. He managed to brick it, same nasty letter back. Next go around( I think it was an actual problem) , and they refused to fix it.
I'm the only one in my family who is currently using an Android device, never  owned an Apple :phew: .
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Any troublesome intermittent audio gear that's had it's insides covered, smothered and traces shorted and eaten away by that horrid amber/yellow glue,

and all the @ssholes that still use it on boards to 'secure components' (aka secure future sales of new gear)  :box:

-----------

@ TwoOfFive, I feel your pain, and have no luv for most Logitechhh and Belkin gear.
Some of their gear is ok if you can score it dirt cheap, knowing it will flake in 13 months, and time for another lot, dirt cheeep of course. 

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
Printers.

The following users thanked this post: HackedFridgeMagnet, Red Squirrel, BrianHG, 5321488

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Funny about brand haters IMO, Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse here, nothing flash but it's been fine for years.
The mouse, well it's just a ordinary mouse just like any other that I have no time for anyway and would gladly use it in my claybird trap machine and blast it from the sky.  >:D
Another Logitech product that we have a couple of and NO way we'd be without them are Trackman mice, great bits of gear.  :-+
Apple gear is another thing, good that most of it is, the way in which they don't make it easy to interface with other stuff can be frustrating enough that we say we won't have another but we still do.  :palm:

Over the years I've spent a pile of time repairing all manner of gear and 2 that are sitting in the "to do finish" pile are a nice little Krohn-Hite sig gen and a Tek TDS2012B, both of which for the time spent so far should be written off as BER.  :-BROKE  :horse:
I love scopes too much so the poor K-H days are numbered.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
Logitech sucks @ss

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
The Kenwood TS-990 Ham Radio transceiver

http://www.rigpix.com/kenwood/ts990s.htm

Don't have one, don't want one, wouldn't even accept one as a gift. Why?

It's everything that's wrong with ham radio today, an expensive rig with dozens of controls yet it still won't make you a better operator if you buy it. Besides that it looks as if it has been beaten with the ugly stick, twice.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Australia's National Broadband Network (NBN). Everytime I see my modem lose line sync (20-30 times a day) and that DSL light starts flashing away, I feel like destroying it into tiny pieces and enclose a "friendy" note with it addressed to the Office of the Minister for Communications.

I miss 56k dial-up... it was more reliable!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:00:59 am by Halcyon »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Pretty much every thing made by Sony. Great when new, works well, does the job when you use it with the appropriate Sony consumables.

However, if you want to repair it, use it with almost any other manufacturers equipment, or god forbid, repair it, without access to those hallowed ultra expensive __SONY__ parts you are SOL. Take to the agents and they are very good at board level fixes, changing any and all boards the parts troubleshooter guides go through in the line, and charge you accordingly. Then take one that is just out of warranty, and it is now classed as "obsolete", and parts are no longer stocked or available.

But great when new and while they work. Best gotten as second hand or as scrap pick up items.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
Anything made by Razer.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
iTunes Software ,back in the day my brother had a ipod(gen2 Nano, had to wiki it) It needed to get replaced under warranty(time1) and they included a note not to pirate music, and promptly deleted all non apple songs.

So, they did look at user content and destroyed what they did not like.
Can they also frisk you when you enter an Apple store?

I wonder if what they did is leg--- Oh, wait, it's Apple.
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
Australia's National Broadband Network (NBN). Everytime I see my modem loose line sync (20-30 times a day) and that DSL light starts flashing away, I feel like destroying it into tiny pieces and enclose a "friendy" note with it addressed to the Office of the Minister for Communications.

I miss 56k dial-up... it was more reliable!

then perhaps they should tighten it when it's loose!   LOL

The following users thanked this post: rob.manderson

Offline AutomationGuy

• Contributor
I would recommend to shredder evaluation boards of different manufacturer from time to time. They just cost too much time with little results. Usualy I get my designs done faster if I do it based on the data sheet by my self. Manufacturer just don't care too much for their evaluation boards becorse they don't make money with them.

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
Anything made by Razer.
What is so bad about Razer?

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
Razer stuff I've had was really nothing special, unlike what their pricing would make you expect. Average stuff with loads of marketing fluff...

I've had many Logitech things over the years, never a failure... never had headsets from them though.
They're top tier for support though, being one of the rare companies to routinely replace products even after warranty expired. Funnily enough nowadays people often prefer to moan and do nothing instead of contacting support to their stuff repaired.

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
For me, cell phones. Amazing life existed before them.......

The following users thanked this post: station240, Electro Detective

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
The image Captcha software used to "Protect" many web sites.  I find frequently that the software loses sync between the displayed image and the test of your response.  Incredibly frustrating when you know you have typed the correct response in and it repeatedly asks you to try again.

Unfortunately, blowing up software is remarkably unsatisfying. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:10:33 pm by CatalinaWOW »

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
Would get much relief after sending a couple of 12 gage shotgun rounds into a rigol oscilloscope.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
The image Captcha software used to "Protect" many web sites.  I find frequently that the software looses sync between the displayed image and the test of your response.  Incredibly frustrating when you know you have typed the correct response in and it repeatedly asks you to try again.

Unfortunately, blowing up software is remarkably unsatisfying.

You know what else is incredibly frustrating?
"Looses" when it should be "loses"...

The following users thanked this post: BradC, CatalinaWOW, rob.manderson

Offline Kuro

• Regular Contributor
I've more than often raged against a machine, but then I remembered it's not the machine's fault (never had a machine lie to me, not even the most recalcitrant ones) but the stupid engineers that put form over function. Plenty of people I'd want to blow up...
The universe is made of protons, neutrons, electrons and morons - March for Science 2017

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
Ok now you got attention of your government agency  >:D
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
I understand blowing of some steam, and if this make your boat float, well huh  :-+  But IMHO, I think shooting stuff is -forgive me- pretty retarted silly.

So I would not shoot any stuff, I do however get some satisfaction formatting Windows systems :-DD

Guess im the minority here.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:49:14 pm by onesixright »

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
Printers.

Only if they constantly say PC Load Letter

Offline AmperaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
I understand blowing of some steam, and if this make your boat float, well huh  :-+  But IMHO, I think shooting stuff is -forgive me- pretty retarted silly.

So I would not shoot any stuff, I do however get some satisfaction formatting Windows systems :-DD

Might be the American in me, but I think blowing shit you hate up provides a good feeling of relief.

But with the Logitech headset I could probably smash it into the wall and have it turn into dust.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor

Might be the American in me, but I think blowing shit you hate up provides a good feeling of relief.
Hehe, that must be it  ;) We can't get our hands on weapons that easy! Anyway have fun!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:47:43 pm by onesixright »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf