Author Topic: If you could..  (Read 10012 times)

Offline ZeTeXTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
If you could..
« on: June 10, 2016, 08:58:48 pm »
If you could go back in time to any year you would choose, and tell yourself 1 sentence, what would it be?  :)

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: If you could..
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 09:15:08 pm »
19 November 1994

30, 3, 5, 44, 14, 22, 10

The following users thanked this post: jancumps

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 09:36:18 pm »
Don't worry, be happy.

Offline sarepairman2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 12:02:47 am »
Do you really want to do business with this guy?

Offline lemmegraphdat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 12:12:26 am »
Always tip your waiter at least 15%, that'll save the world someday.
Start right now.

Offline hasithvm

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 01:11:45 am »
Aug 2010: Make sure your hard drive backup includes the bitcoin wallet file with 40 BTC :\

Offline ZeTeXTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 09:20:00 am »
Aug 2010: Make sure your hard drive backup includes the bitcoin wallet file with 40 BTC :\
40BTC?? you basically lost a car :\

Online AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 09:49:26 am »
Sod the bitcoins, I'd be telling myself to buy AAPL in 2003 and sell in 2015.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 10:00:42 am »
PLASTICS!

Seriously, it would be more on the lines of "going out today would be a seriously bad idea, just stay at home till tomorrow and read a book".

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 12:16:22 pm »
19 November 1994

30, 3, 5, 44, 14, 22, 10

You would have shared the £5.9 million National Lottery jackpot with seven other winners, netting you around £740,000.

If you wanted to maximise a win in the mid-90's, better to return to 30 December 1995 and pick 6 32 39 42 43 45 36.

It was a rollover jackpot which nobody won, so you would have taken home almost £24 million.

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 08:13:08 pm »
You would have shared the £5.9 million National Lottery jackpot with seven other winners, netting you around £740,000.

I considered that, but £750K is more than enough for my needs.
It's like upgrading a PC, there is always a faster one due and whatever you buy is out of date as soon as you have it.

The people who win millions all end up with mental problems, a divorce and a gaudily decorated house in Cheshire.

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 09:41:29 pm »
The people who win millions all end up with mental problems, a divorce and a gaudily decorated house in Cheshire.

Naah.  Those are just the only ones the media are interested in telling you about.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 10:30:28 pm »

It's like upgrading a PC, there is always a faster one due and whatever you buy is out of date as soon as you have it.

The people who win millions are by definition gamblers, and many gamblers have an unhealthy relationship with money.

If you travel back in time in order to provide your younger self with information about the future you risk invoking the grandfather paradox and erasing yourself from existence. Having too much money may be the least of your problems.

Some theorists suggest that the actions of any time traveller would be constrained such that nothing they do in the past can possibly affect the present. In which case you might as well just forget the whole time travel thing and buy a lottery ticket.

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 10:43:19 pm »
Naah.  Those are just the only ones the media are interested in telling you about.

Apparently 70% of lottery winners end up bankrupt.

That must suck, knowing that you are broke entirely because you were too stupid to do otherwise,
I'd prefer to go through life with only a vague idea of how stupid I am, rather than know for sure.

Offline dieseltech82

• Contributor
If you could..
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 10:57:11 pm »

The people who win millions are by definition gamblers, and many gamblers have an unhealthy relationship with money.

If you travel back in time in order to provide your younger self with information about the future you risk invoking the grandfather paradox and erasing yourself from existence. Having too much money may be the least of your problems.

Some theorists suggest that the actions of any time traveller would be constrained such that nothing they do in the past can possibly affect the present. In which case you might as well just forget the whole time travel thing and buy a lottery ticket.
They also theorized that man could not travel faster than 25 MPH or they would explode. No one knows until it's been done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 11:27:23 pm »
They also theorized that man could not travel faster than 25 MPH or they would explode.
Presumably you are referring to early 19th century fears that passengers on the first steam trains would be unable to breathe or suffer eye damage due to the hitherto unknown speeds?

No one knows until it's been done.
Well, duh.

There is a rather large difference between worrying about the physiological effects of an imminent event and speculating about a hypothetical phenomenon which has no reasonable expectation of occurring in our lifetime.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 03:07:36 am »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 03:33:29 am »
Early 1987 (can't quite remember the exact date),I would tell myself:-

"DON'T buy the corner deli!!!!

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 03:46:51 am »

Jesus christ, you lost that much? I would have been so fucking paranoid I would have printed out the file.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 03:52:18 am »
Early 1987 (can't quite remember the exact date),I would tell myself:-

"DON'T buy the corner deli!!!!

may 23: don't buy the liverwurst

(google 'alan sherman')

;)

Offline hasithvm

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2016, 05:29:27 am »

Jesus christ, you lost that much? I would have been so fucking paranoid I would have printed out the file.

I got my hands on the BTC when they were averaging $0.01/ea. I'd forgotten I owned them until I saw that BTC was peaking at $1K, went to cash them in, but couldn't find the file. Incorrect file backup configuration => $40K+ mistake. |O

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 06:33:22 am »
I'd go back to my 18 year old self and tell him never to apply for credit cards. Had it not been for some stupid decisions and getting myself into "bad" debt, I'd have bought my first home at 20 instead of 29. For the last 10 years or so I've lived without credit or loans (apart from a mortgage) and have never looked back.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 06:57:59 am »
Apart from lottery or horses tips, I'd say "Yes, _do_ buy the Apple I board, then get the Apple II as well later."

No need to tell myself to keep and carefully store the Apple I (now worth over US$750,000) as I definitely would have.
Darn it. I wanted to buy the Apple I straight away, but thought I was so wise and patient to wait a while till the Apple II release.

Also, "Do NOT sign that exclusive distributorship agreement for my Apple II EPROM programmer card, just market it yourself." Grrr.... and so, due to someone else's slackness and incompetence, missed out on catching the wave of riches of the early home computer market.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 07:51:02 am »
When a friend of mine asked me what I though of the new bitcoin thing and whether he should buy some (at 20c or something ridiculous like that) maybe I shouldn't have said "Sounds like a Ponzi scheme to me. Don't touch it."

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2016, 10:22:17 am »
Probably something along the following:

Win the lottery for the data xx.xx.xxxx using the number x x x x x x, buy up all the apple stock you can get your hands on and with the rest register google.sk and ... 
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf