Author Topic: If you had a time machine...  (Read 3407 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: If you had a time machine...
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2021, 03:18:45 pm »
[...] we were trying to figure out how to make our TVs as thin as picture frames on the wall, how to make our computers fit in the palm of our hands, how to make a worldwide digital network infrastructure. [...]

I guess it would be churlish to blame you for Facebook, Twitter, etc. etc. !  :D

Now that we're here, where do we go to next?  - are we at the point where we can begin to talk about grafting a microscopic iPhone directly into baby's brain at birth? :D

Offline Crashpc_CZ

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2021, 05:27:46 pm »
One hunter post :-)

DonĀ“t go too far back:
You will have no wires and electricity to work with, no manufacturing tools, no trust and support with your witchery and dark magic.
Maybe 40 years back would suffice.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 05:50:15 pm by RoGeorge »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline Crashpc_CZ

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2021, 06:02:16 pm »
Yes, I am aware, but you know, no high power, no good stabilisation, no wearables and IOT, high maintenance. :-)
You just do not want to start your electronics superiority with just lemon juice and such.

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2021, 02:11:36 am »
That's a tough call, but I'm leaning towards sometime right around the end of 1970's, or very early 1980's. The beginnings of the "personal computer revolution". Not to mention one of the greatest eras of all time for music. Imagine seeing Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc. live back when they were in their respective primes... wow. Or seeing an early Motley Crue playing at the Whisky A-Go-Go.  Or attending the Moscow Music Peace Festival. Not to mention the 80's when hair was big, skirts were short and... well, I'll just stop there. 

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 02:30:40 am »
That's a tough call, but I'm leaning towards sometime right around the end of 1970's, or very early 1980's. The beginnings of the "personal computer revolution". Not to mention one of the greatest eras of all time for music. Imagine seeing Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc. live back when they were in their respective primes... wow. Or seeing an early Motley Crue playing at the Whisky A-Go-Go.  Or attending the Moscow Music Peace Festival. Not to mention the 80's when hair was big, skirts were short and... well, I'll just stop there.

The 80s were fantastic for many reasons, I generally like 80s cars and 80s boats too. Not crazy about women's hairstyles of that era though, and I never cared for the brass and crystal aesthetic that was popular in interior decor. Liked the 70s styles better overall.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2021, 09:35:44 pm »
Mostly yes.  Or is it?   :)
https://visual.ly/community/Infographics/education/electricity-usage-ancient-civilizations

That poster is funny.

The Baghdad battery is controversial. If it was an electrochemical cell, it's unlikely it was used for electroplating, as no electroplated objects have been found.  Another theory is it was used for sacred scrolls.

It's unlikely the ancient Egyptians and Romans understood the catfish produces electricity. The colour is way off in that picture: the ancient Egyptians were not black. :palm:

And I'm not even going to say anything about the last three, which are a pure fantasies.

Offline AlbertLTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2021, 09:01:25 pm »
From my time machine's "Favorites" list:

Time: 1950s
Place: Employment office for Aerojet General

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2021, 12:29:52 pm »
I would buy many thousands of bitcoins at 20-50 cents each. And buy Altium shares at 9 cents each on 2011 and sell them for 41 dollars each in 2020.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf