Author Topic: Parts inventory  (Read 6614 times)

Offline AlfBazTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Parts inventory
« on: September 11, 2013, 04:25:27 pm »
So I'm doing some fault finding and I find a busted scr to220 package

I'm sure I have one somewhere!
Time to look through my various parts bins. I finally found one, it was even the right part number  :)
Not before coming across the monster in the attached photo... :scared:
EDIT: that's a 16mm thread (5/8")

I have always meant to getting around and taking stock but it would take ages and I sort of know where commonly needed stuff is and nothing is ever that important that I cant wait for the following day from RS or farnell.

Is it worth it? I even created an MS access database, years and years ago that I never entered data into

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:29:41 pm by AlfBaz »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
Re: Parts inventory
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:37:51 pm »
data entry? *gasp*

I always save my digikey/mouser shopping cart, and then use a little bash/perl/python/oneofthose script to add it to the inventory. Of course this doesn't prevent the gnomes from hiding your scr's, but it does help answer the question of "do I have any of those?".

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 05:02:36 pm »
That's not a bad idea for parts I get from now on. Thaks

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:07:27 pm »
I ended up making a database system that auto-imports receipts from the various stores I use. Works pretty well.

It also grabs extended data from the product pages, so you can easily search by manufacturer/value/whatever, not just the item description.

... which reminds me, need to import the latest Digikey order. Blah.

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 03:39:05 am »
That's a pretty good idea. It was actually on my list of things to try (when I get time for it) to give the new Bing imaging API a shot. It has capability to do automatic OCR in Windows 8.1 from the camera built into my surface pro - I was going to code up something quick and dirty to scan those little printed labels digikey slaps on all items, parse out the data, and write it to a simple database. The receipts would be a pain in the ass to find for everything I have stocked up - but I always keep those labels with my parts.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:06:51 am »
I would be good if digikey and others gave access to their db (or at least a client subset) via the barcode

I would be surprised if there wasn't something like that already in place

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:16:05 am »
I usually enter my sch reference designators into digikey's Customer Reference box, so a bag of resistors might say : R1, R4-5, R25, etc. which is convenient for assembly
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 04:28:43 am »
I usually enter my sch reference designators into digikey's Customer Reference box, so a bag of resistors might say : R1, R4-5, R25, etc. which is convenient for assembly

So they print it on the bag if you do that? I guess that is what you're saying. That would be handy. You could also add the project name.

I would like a bit of a DB for parts too. One day.
IIRC there was a guy on EEVBlog who had an online db that we were welcome to use.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:48:59 am »
I would be good if digikey and others gave access to their db (or at least a client subset) via the barcode

I would be surprised if there wasn't something like that already in place

Well there are these webservices, if that is what you're looking for:

https://services.digikey.com/webservices-overview.html
https://www.mouser.com/service/mousersearchapi.asmx

Haven't used them so far, since parsing the cart was lazier by far. And creating a cart from a bom nowadays is as easy as pasting a text blob into a form.

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 02:01:54 pm »
Oh wow, the digikey one is quite comprehensive! You can even create and submit orders directly from it and access existing order records.

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 07:21:05 pm »
I have a google docs spreadsheet split into eight tabs:
- components: resonators, transistors, trimpots, resistor and capacitor kits, switches, fuses, relays, triacs, ...
- uC: PIC, AVR, MSP, Atmel, ...
- PWR: LM317, 78xx, SMPS controllers, DC/DC converter chips, crowbar chips, ...
- IC: MAX232, 555, opamps, 74 series, audio amps, ...
- connectors: battery holders, IC sockets, audio sockets, dupont and other wires, power connectors, headers, ...
- tools: programmers, adapters, multimeters and scopes, chemicals, probes, logic analyzers, ...
- modules: LCDs, LED digits, RF modules, dev boards, PSU kits, everything that is now called Arduino compatible, ...
- scrap: end-of-life stuff like phones, alarm modules, PC peripherals, motherboards, PSUs, VCRs, ...

First column is the part name, second one is the number of pieces, third one is the datasheet, fourth one is a short description, last one is the price I paid. Sometimes a column is filled with the place these parts are in: some breadboard, big red drawer, auto parts box, etc.
The scrap stuff is sometimes catalogued and the chips are written in the description column.

Obviously the whole spreadsheet is only filled to about 30% and there's tons of other stuff lying around that's not catalogued (passives, small signal transistors), but it's certainly better than nothing and it only took a weekend to fill. The nice thing is that it's online so I can check it out from everywhere or share it with friends to swap parts.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:34:39 pm »
So I'm doing some fault finding and I find a busted scr to220 package

I'm sure I have one somewhere!

I have always meant to getting around and taking stock but it would take ages and I sort of know where commonly needed stuff is and nothing is ever that important that I cant wait for the following day from RS or farnell.

Is it worth it? I even created an MS access database, years and years ago that I never entered data into
To me it is. I have an Access database with all the components I buy new and try to keep the stock level accurate. I linked this database into the schematic capture package so I have the right PCB footprint and order numbers in the bill of materials. It saves me lots of time determining which and how many components to buy for a project.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf