Author Topic: ilogical resteraunt menu  (Read 3982 times)

Offline KerlinTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: ilogical resteraunt menu
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2024, 10:58:42 pm »

People are already brain-trained to know what type of "variable" the foods in a menu are

If you think of programming, then menu "variables" in people minds are these types

main_meal

side_dish

drink

dessert

So we have these variables already set up in people's wetware (brain) and the brain knows what to do with them when a menu is read -

main_meal fishAndChips;

side_dish salad, vegetables;

drink coke, tea, water;

So when they see

Fish and chips with salad or vegetables

They know what the variable types are already and can decode it easily.

It decodes to -

main_meal + (side_dish || side dish);

Sortof like that. It's already set up in the brain (for most people).

This man wins, makes sense to me.

Thanks to all the irrelevant posters     V   V   V
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 11:04:58 pm by Kerlin »
Do you know what the thread is about and are Comprehending what has been said ?

Offline harerod

• Frequent Contributor
  • ee - digital & analog
    • My services:
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2024, 08:26:05 am »
You haven't heard true abuse of the English language until you have heard me say "bi'cycle" (for bicycle) in my Finnish Rally English.  I also like to pronounce the c in "miscellaneous" as a k.  In Finnish, I pronounce "lastenkodinkadulla" as "las tenko dinka dulla".
Note to myself: as soon as I get bored with Japanese, I'll look into Finnish.

Offline Hydro

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2024, 03:51:20 am »
IMO, "Fish and chips and salad or vegetables" translates to "Fish and chips" AND ("salad" OR "vegetables"), i.e. main AND (side OR side). "Fish and chips" is a dish by itself, "and" in the middle is not logical operation - it should be interpreted as a frase from 3 words.
Being a programmer, I know several jokes.

First one.

The wife says to her programmer husband, “Dear, go to the store and buy one piece of sausage.
and IF there are eggs, THEN buy a dozen"

The programmer husband returns and brings eleven pieces of sausage.
The next joke.

When a programmer goes to bed, he puts two glasses on the bedside table

- one with water - if he wants to drink

- and the other is empty - if he does NOT want to drink

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline larrybud

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2024, 01:41:35 am »
Am I the only one who always reads POS (point-of-sales) as piece-of-shit?  ???

About 20 years ago I got a job writing software which gave companies an online presence for bill pay applications. It wasn't THAT popular back then, so we did one off projects. I made a suggestion that we standardize the application (even if it was a "separate" application for each customer), so that our development time was cut way down. We could then just configure a bunch of settings for the particular customer installation.  Not exactly a genius idea now, but back then "software as a service" was coming into it's own.

Anyway, our "Director of IT" was a moron. She was a terrible boss, zero people skills, lied to customers constantly (one of the reasons I ended up leaving). But it was up to her to give our new product a name....

Yes, you guess it, she called it "Point of sales". I said, no way, you are not calling something I wrote "Point of sales". She didn't know why. I said "POS?? You aren't familiar with that term?". She was not.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2024, 02:47:22 am »
   My little quirk, TV REMOTE doesn't control the (whole) World:
   Neighbor's friend looking 'cute', walking by, there.   NICE !  Like to check that out again:

PRESSED the 'BACK - REWIND button, before I realized the folly...

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2024, 05:45:27 am »
Am I the only one who always reads POS (point-of-sales) as piece-of-shit?  ???

About 20 years ago I got a job writing software which gave companies an online presence for bill pay applications. It wasn't THAT popular back then, so we did one off projects. I made a suggestion that we standardize the application (even if it was a "separate" application for each customer), so that our development time was cut way down. We could then just configure a bunch of settings for the particular customer installation.  Not exactly a genius idea now, but back then "software as a service" was coming into it's own.

Anyway, our "Director of IT" was a moron. She was a terrible boss, zero people skills, lied to customers constantly (one of the reasons I ended up leaving). But it was up to her to give our new product a name....

Yes, you guess it, she called it "Point of sales". I said, no way, you are not calling something I wrote "Point of sales". She didn't know why. I said "POS?? You aren't familiar with that term?". She was not.

I won't even begin to tell you what "POS" means within the LGBT community.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf