Author Topic: I`m losing two good friends to Alzheimer, both engineers..  (Read 11447 times)

Offline ErikTheNorwegianTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
I`m losing two good friends to Alzheimer, both engineers..
« on: September 12, 2013, 06:50:40 pm »
They have been soldering electronics, and not to forget, gluing /re coning speakers for many years. Both in their mid 50`s. Both are losing very fast, the ability to speak. Sometimes they brighten up and can communicate, but that’s becoming rare now. 

It`s more than sad to see this, it`s to early to fast and it makes me wonder that its is all their passion for fixing electronics and sound/cinema has taken their life away.

So people, be careful with what you breath in..   :(
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

• Frequent Contributor
Re: I`m losing two good friends to Alzheimer, both engineers..
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:57:47 pm »

Occupational lead exposure may have long-term effects and dramatically increase the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease in later years, according to research presented during the American Academy of Neurology's 52nd Annual Meeting in San Diego, CA, April 29 -- May 6, 2000. Researchers believe that people who have worked in jobs with high levels of lead exposure are up to 3.4 times more likely to develop Alzheimer's disease.  Dr Koss of the American Academy of Neurology quotes: "Although lead has long been known to be toxic -- and is believed to have affected the brains of some of the rulers of the Roman Empire, thereby causing its downfall -- its long-term damages are difficult to measure, and thus, the extent of its negative effects have been largely overlooked."

http://www.lead.org.au/fs/fst48.html
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:39:47 pm by ErikTheNorwegian »
/Erik

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 08:35:59 pm »
Very sad indeed.
As far as I know, leadsalts in the roman empire were added to the wine to make it taste more sweet and the waterpipes were also from lead. So the romans probably got thousands of times more lead in their system then an electronic hobbiist would ever get. Persons that solder for work should have decent fume extraction equipment from their boss. But still you're absolutely right, better be carefull.
Fumes from glue and paint are also notorious, paint is nowadays on water basis since a lot of professional painters suffered brain related illnesses later in life.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:17:16 pm »
Well, that's sad. Maybe the RoHs is good for people. I do not solder so much.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 10:17:56 pm »
There is talk in the medical community about high blood glucose (diabetes and such) being linked to Alzheimers, too.  Worrying for my dad who has type II recently diagnosed (he is not overweight in any way, just unlucky.)

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:23:26 pm »
The cause of Alzheimer's disease is not known.  There's no reason to think it's related to solder or glue.  The lead theory you mention doesn't have much support.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:29:22 pm »
Were your friends actively learning when they got the disease?   :-//
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:02:49 pm »
My grandother was born in 1916. She is 97 years old nowadays. Her body is time-worn, she is always tired and she can walk only very slowly. But for some reason her brain is still OK. It works as it was new. She can talk to people, solve crossword puzzles or watch TV. But she did not do anything special in her life. She was not a scientist or something.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 12:02:51 am »
Alz is a very complex condition, with links to many other things. Genetics plays a role, so does exposure to toxins like lead. I have also read reports about some viruses being linked to a predisposition to develop Alz (herpes simplex - the common cold sore virus - being a strong contender, since it goes dormant in the nervous system and the scar tissue it leaves on nerve cells is almost identical to scar tissue found on the brains of Alz sufferers).

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 02:28:36 am »
No one here mentioning aluminium intake, due to aluminium cookware? This is a well known factor.

And don't give me that 'disproven' line. It was solidly established, but there are groups that run counter disinformation due to their own involvement and interests. Same as mercury in dental amalgam and inoculations (as thimerosal), carcinogens in cigarettes, etc.

Did you google alzheimers cures? No, it's NOT wise to just assume mainstream medicine will respond to real findings, and provide the best care. They're beholden to the pharmaceuticals industry, which is not only not interested in unpatentable cures, but actively suppresses them. And that's not even touching the whole 'Elites, global cull, deliberate murderous intent' thing.
I've attached a zip file with some articles on Alzheimers, and vitamin B12 & coconut oil - claimed to greatly help. 1.2M zip. Assorted file formats, you'll manage. .MHT is the Opera web page as single file format.

Sorry to hear about your friend. A close technical-minded friend of mine is currently going through the horrible liver cancer, may die, nightmare.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 03:30:14 am »
We lost Ray Dolby today.  He was suffering from Alzheimer's.

Offline jhalar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 03:50:31 am »
Same as mercury in dental amalgam and inoculations (as thimerosal), carcinogens in cigarettes, etc.

I was having headaches for years until I had my mercury fillings taken out and replaced with an alternative.
It was difficult to find a dentist that wanted to take them out for me, many of them just thought I was crazy
to think that mercury could be a problem. No more frequent headaches.
Electronics and Network Engineer. Working in both worlds.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 06:46:48 am »
Were your friends actively learning when they got the disease?   :-//
Ohh yes, both worked, keept themself updated and  was realy not in the typickal groups to get it.
One was the main engineer behind all the sound systems for the 94 olympic games at Lillehammer. We worked togheter for 6 years before and during that time.

But take care everybody, dont breath in those fumes, get some propper ventilation.
/Erik

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 09:09:53 am »
I was having headaches for years until I had my mercury fillings taken out and replaced with an alternative.
It was difficult to find a dentist that wanted to take them out for me, many of them just thought I was crazy
to think that mercury could be a problem. No more frequent headaches.

Yeah. Different people have different susceptibility to mercury. One fellow I worked with had severe headaches and facial swelling for years. Then had his amalgam fillings replaced with ceramic, and the headaches and swelling went away.
It's incredible (actually criminal) that the dental profession denies the effects of mercury amalgam, despite the massive amount of toxicology data in other fields, instances of mass mercury poisonings (Minamata disease etc.) It's even in the English language - 'Mad as a Hatter' - Hat makers typically went mad due to mercury used for tanning.
Sole reason is, dentists don't dare admit liability for fear of the largest class action lawsuit in history.

It's very disturbing when you start paying attention to alternative information sources in any field, to realize how much of the 'conventional position' is dangerous rubbish, even deliberate lies. Another one in dentistry is root canal therapy - removal of the central nerve and blood supply in a tooth. Result is a tooth that's dead inside. Looks fine on the outside, and dentistry does this a lot. But... the inside of the tooth has many fine channels. These become home to bacterial colonies. Which produce assorted toxins. Lots of info around on people having severe health issues even including personality changes and other mental problems after root canal 'therapy'.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 09:24:28 am »
I have read of aluminium deposits showing up in the brains of people who died of alzheimer's but more recently I read that there is a direct link between gum disease and alzheimer's as well as heart disease, the same bacteria is involved in all three.

The biggest cause is though is smoking.   

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 05:49:54 pm »
The snake oil thread isn't enough, we need a whole snake oil category :(

Offline surfinbird72

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 06:03:40 pm »
Science is making progress to develop a vaccine and/or treatment, but unfortunately it will not be for tomorrow:
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/01/15/1215165110

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 06:23:44 pm »
Mom is suffering from alzheimers, and is not always there any more. Good days and bad days, and mostly good mornings, but as the day goes on the lights go dim and go out.

Offline MatCat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 06:25:59 pm »
There have been a few studies recently too showing that drinking coffee daily can lead to less likeliness of getting alzheimers, and that marijuana can also prevent it and even slowly cure it.  The medical industry is really quite sad, there are 3 separate cures for aids but none of them are directly available yet, I do believe one of them is deep in FDA trials.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 06:39:40 pm »
They have been soldering electronics, and not to forget, gluing /re coning speakers for many years. Both in their mid 50`s. Both are losing very fast, the ability to speak. Sometimes they brighten up and can communicate, but that’s becoming rare now. 

It`s more than sad to see this, it`s to early to fast and it makes me wonder that its is all their passion for fixing electronics and sound/cinema has taken their life away.

So people, be careful with what you breath in..   :(

Erik,

Sorry for your lost.  My best wishes to your friends' families.

Rick

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 07:32:38 pm »
Erik, please accept my condolences for the situation these valued friends of yours are in.
_____

Off topic garbage deleted.

-George
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 07:14:46 pm by GeoffS »
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 07:46:22 pm »
Sorry to read.  Ray Dolby had Azlheimers for some years, and news report today, he has died.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/ray-dolby-dead-oscar-winning-engineer-2270424
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Tube_Dude

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 10:52:13 pm »
I lost my Dad and my lovely Aunt with alzheimer. So, nothing to add...  :(
Jorge

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 08:53:06 am »
Mom is suffering from alzheimers, and is not always there any more. Good days and bad days, and mostly good mornings, but as the day goes on the lights go dim and go out.

Sorry to hear that Sean. I hope you are one of the 3 people that bothered to download the zip file I included above. I don't know anyone with Alzheimers, that's stuff I came across and saved 'just in case'. Sounds interesting, and it's not as if it would be difficult or dangerous to give it a try.  Coconut oil - not exactly snake oil. Though some people will knee-jerk name-call at anything that they didn't see on the TV 'news'.

@A Hellene :) That's one I didn't want to mention, since so many people have been so conditioned by the 'fluoride is good for you' cult for years, that if you try to tell them sodium fluoride was first added to water and food in... [guess where? and guess why?] ... they flatly refuse to believe it. The idea that there can be high level, truly heinous and long-running conspiracies just doesn't fit in most people's world view. So there's little point trying to tell them anything, it just bounces off the cognitive dissonance wall.

Anyway.
http://everist.org/archives/conspiracy/medical/Flouridation/
http://everist.org/archives/links/!_Fluoridation_links.txt

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 09:38:29 am »
Slow and you barely notice until it is very advanced. No medication to help aside from some that give temporary improvements, but it is a long downhill. Eventually we had to put her in full care, and that is costly. Day nurse before that for a few months but eventually the deterioration became worse.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf