Author Topic: I'm stuck - EU Hardware startup - How to get FCC certification and sell in US?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline adidorTopic starter

Does anyone have experience with getting FCC certification for an electronic product as a non US-based company?

Everywhere on the internet it makes it sound like you just get any FCC required EMC testing etc. done at the same time you are testing for the European CE mark, and then you are magically certified. They tend to skip over the small requirement that to apply for FCC mark you have to have a 'Responsible party' in based in the US who signs on behalf of the company.

If you are a small non-US company how are you meant to meet this requirement? Does this mean we are restricted to only selling in Europe until we have distributors or an office in US? No direct sales allowed?

I also noticed the same is true for selling in Canada to meet ISED certification. How are small US companies handling this?

Thanks in advance!

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
There are European companies, notified bodies, which have USA subsidieries, which take care of it. So the testing happens here, and they provide you with an EMC/RED directive test report and a FCC certification. From the top of my head, TÜV or Dekra will do this.

The following users thanked this post: adidor

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
There are European companies, notified bodies, which have USA subsidieries, which take care of it. So the testing happens here, and they provide you with an EMC/RED directive test report and a FCC certification. From the top of my head, TÜV or Dekra will do this.
That is not the question. Just like the EU, the US seems to require a legal entity inside the US that is liable for bringing the product onto the US market.

In the EU it is typically the importer of the goods that has to sign off on the EU's CE conformity declaration.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: tszaboo, adidor

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Miyuki

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me on youtube
I might be wrong.
But, if you have an EU-based shop and you just sell and ship directly to customers, the trade technically happens in the EU so you are not under US regulation.
So you should be able to live without it.
As this is legally the same as if the person travels here and buys it physically and then travels with that device in a suitcase. No one will ever ask.
If you want a physical store in the US, then you will have to have a US company anyway and that shall be responsible for the FCC and other documents required.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
The Chinese just put the CE, UL, FCC mark without any test or certified lab.

No ethics...go figure...

Depending upon your product, volume of sales and risk tolerance...

Bon courage

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
I might be wrong.
But, if you have an EU-based shop and you just sell and ship directly to customers, the trade technically happens in the EU so you are not under US regulation.
So you should be able to live without it.
As this is legally the same as if the person travels here and buys it physically and then travels with that device in a suitcase. No one will ever ask.
If you want a physical store in the US, then you will have to have a US company anyway and that shall be responsible for the FCC and other documents required.

The device might be seized by customs upon entry into the US (somewhat likely), or later when it causes interference problems during operation (rather unlikely).

You could probably make this the customer's problem via a clause in your terms & conditions. But whether that's a good basis to build a reputation and a business in the US market is another matter.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
Bonjour

small cost, size package sent to the USA unlikely any inspection

Commercial, industrial shipment, large quantities, value 100..2500 $ or more can be opened and inspection for safety and EMI compliance regardless of COE.

Your airbill and Commercial Invoice, custom documents must déclaration value and quantity and Harm number

Freight carrier passes information on to USCBP, etc

Non-compliance equipment is held up for compliance documents or refuse entre at POE.

Bon courage

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf