Author Topic: Inside a bad 9v battery.  (Read 10965 times)

Offline XOIIOTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Inside a bad 9v battery.
« on: May 14, 2014, 06:06:14 am »
So, I found a 9v battery, unsure of how old it is, it's a Panasonic one, still putting out 9 volts, but it could only put out 50ma, instead of the usual ~500ma, so I opened it up...

All I can say is... eww, definitely does not look good lol.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Inside a bad 9v battery.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 06:07:57 am »
It's normal for some 9volts to be potted like that.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 06:18:59 am »
It's normal for some 9volts to be potted like that.

It's not potted, that's just the standard pile construction, but the brown stuff is supposed to be more of a white color.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 06:35:52 am »
Nothing about the symptoms or the appearance that suggest it is anything but used up.
If you don't know what a "good" battery looks like inside, how can you say "it doesn't look good"?

That particular example appears to be made from six recctangular 1.5V cells stacked up.
Other 9V batteries are made up of six "AAA" batteries bundled together.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 06:54:24 am »
Nothing about the symptoms or the appearance that suggest it is anything but used up.
If you don't know what a "good" battery looks like inside, how can you say "it doesn't look good"?

That particular example appears to be made from six recctangular 1.5V cells stacked up.

I have taken apart plenty of 9 volt batteries, and I have never seen one with the pile construction that looks like this, even when they are used up with barely any voltage.

Also considering that it is outputting 9v but a 10th of it's normal current I would definitely say it has gone bad.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 07:52:04 am »
That is the old pile construction, been around since the late 1930's. The outer of each cell or pile is brown paper with a waxy substance over it, if you pull a new one apart it looks the same.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 08:18:21 am »
I remember,as a kid,that Eveready in Australia made a huge fuss about going over to the "pile" construction,bragging that it increased energy storage by a substantial amount compared to stacked cylindrical cells.

Previous to that time,all the locally made "A" & "B" batteries for valve radios used cylindrical cells.
Eveready got a bit of a jump on their competitor,Diamond,who took a while to change their factory procedures over.

I always assumed from then that dry cell batteries were all of the slab tyoe,but recently,I've come across quite a few of the stacked cylinder type.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 08:48:36 am »
[...]
Slight correction - 9V batteries can be made from six AAAA (4 A's), not from six AAA (thee A's). AAAA size is smaller than AAA.

I have seen at least 2-3 different construction methods for 9V batteries. Stacked construction (as in forst post), six AAAA's. I think there may few other methods of stacking.
Nothing unusual here.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 08:54:32 am »
So, I found a 9v battery, unsure of how old it is, it's a Panasonic one, still putting out 9 volts, but it could only put out 50ma, instead of the usual ~500ma, so I opened it up...

I don't know what makes you think a 9v battery is supposed to give you 500mA ... have a look at some datasheets and some discharge graphs:

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/EN22.pdf
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/includes/pdf/9V_Ind_Alka_Bat_Data_Sheet.pdf
http://ww2.duracell.com/media/en-US/pdf/gtcl/Product_Data_Sheet/NA_DATASHEETS/MN1604_6LF22_US_CT.pdf
http://ww2.duracell.com/media/en-US/pdf/gtcl/Product_Data_Sheet/NA_DATASHEETS/MN1604_6LR61_US_CT.pdf

Even at 100mA, you'll only going to get about 3-4 hours of life out of the battery at that load.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 02:53:32 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-volt_battery

details and photos for old style pile construction and multiple cells.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 03:46:45 pm »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 03:48:43 pm »
Dave already did a video about these:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-518-9v-alkaline-battery-construction/

Yeah, see that's how these ones usually look too, I've never seen one with paper underneath the plastic, and digging into it I'm pretty sure it is not paper.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 06:01:54 pm »
I have taken apart plenty of 9 volt batteries, and I have never seen one with the pile construction that looks like this,
Then you haven't taken apart enough 9V batteries to be aware of the wide variety of constructions.

even when they are used up with barely any voltage.
You aren't actually proposing that the internal appearance of the battery can be used as any reliable indication of good/flat/bad?
It has never been my experience that you could diagnose ANYTHING from the internal appearance.
(Of course physical trauma, crushing, puncturing, etc. and thermal meltdown are obvious upon inspection.)

Also considering that it is outputting 9v but a 10th of it's normal current I would definitely say it has gone bad.
Some battery chemistries will still show the rated voltage OPEN CIRCUIT (i.e. with no load, as when using a high-impedance DMM) even when "depleted".
Assuming that the battery is "bad" just because the open-circuit voltage is 9V is rather short-sighted, IME.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 06:40:01 pm »
Normally with the pile contruction you have the outer plastic shrink, and inside that a wax dip over the cells. Then you have the cells, made from a paper outer wrap covering an inside mix. Top of the cell is a zinc sheet with a carbon coat on the one side, then a layer of manganese dioxide mixed with ammonium chloride to make a nearly dry paste, and topped with a graphite powder block. they are layered then pressed into a block in a die to get the cells to ontact, then wax dipped for protection from drying out, then sealed with a plastic shrink and then placed into a case. The contacts on one side are just a set of teeth onto the zinc plate and the other side a steel strip with teeth onto a zinc plate with the carbon contacting the carbon anode of the bottom cell. Simple to make, and as it is mostly dry you have little issue with it leaking.

the cylindrical AAAA cells have 2 methods I have seen, either a set of tabs welded to top and bottom of each cell to interconnect, or more commonly these days a simple pressure connection with a silicone pressure plate and a plastic sheet with contact strips on it to join the cells.

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 07:58:23 pm »

*AAAA

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 07:59:56 pm »
Another battery related question, what is the largest cr type battery? I found a cr 3032 for the clock in an old MacBook, do they get any bigger?

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 08:02:31 pm »
Another battery related question, what is the largest cr type battery? I found a cr 3032 for the clock in an old MacBook, do they get any bigger?
That's what she said.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cr+battery+size+chart

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 08:56:26 pm »
Guess the only larger one is CR11108

Offline electrolux

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 12:02:43 pm »
That seems pretty standard to me :-//
The funniest thing about this signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything its too late to stop reading it.

Offline electrolux

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 12:06:47 pm »
Guess the only larger one is CR11108

Very odd I dint know they existed but there you go Learn something ne w from the EEVblog every time!
The funniest thing about this signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything its too late to stop reading it.

Offline electrolux

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 12:09:03 pm »
There is a list of battery sizes On Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 06:27:07 am »
If it bounces is dead, if it sounds like "thunk" and doesn't bounce then it's good.
Other than that, yeah, they are made both ways, although in the US I've never seen the non AAAA ones.

Btw, 9v are batteries the rest are piles. Although I remember seen some 12V bateries with piles inside too. But it's late so I'm not looking it up :)

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 06:37:20 am »
If it bounces is dead, if it sounds like "thunk" and doesn't bounce then it's good.
Other than that, yeah, they are made both ways, although in the US I've never seen the non AAAA ones.

Btw, 9v are batteries the rest are piles. Although I remember seen some 12V bateries with piles inside too. But it's late so I'm not looking it up :)

"Battery" just means a group of Cells connected together to obtain a higher voltage or current capacity.
The construction of the Cells is immaterial.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 06:38:53 am »

"Battery" just means a group of Cells connected together to obtain a higher voltage or current capacity.
The construction of the Cells is immaterial.

Therefore a 9v is a battery a 1.5V is a pile (or cell  :-//)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf