Author Topic: Interesting discovery in Sydney-Playback of nerve inputs requires precise timing  (Read 1323 times)

Offline cdevTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !

How do you feel what you can't touch? Scientists crack the nerve code

(This is cutting edge research in helping people who have suffered serious injuries feel their limbs again.)

https://www.smh.com.au/national/how-do-you-feel-what-you-can-t-touch-scientists-crack-the-nerve-code-20181211-p50lmu.html

https://research.unsw.edu.au/people/dr-ingvars-birznieks

https://www.neura.edu.au/staff/dr-ingvars-birznieks/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:59:24 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
That's really interesting. It reminds me of reading years ago of 'spine induced audio'. I never tried it, but the claim was that if you take audio, modulate it onto a HV train of short spikes, and AC-couple that to skin electrode pads placed over the spine, the nervous system somehow routes the signals to the right area of the brain and you can 'hear' the audio.

Also, Rule 34 applications in 5, 4, 3, 3...
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
"the claim was that if you take audio, modulate it onto a HV train of short spikes, and AC-couple that to skin electrode pads placed over the spine, the nervous system somehow routes the signals to the right area of the brain and you can 'hear' the audio."

This could transform the audiophool business.

Does it only work in Sydney?
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

The following users thanked this post: 001

• Super Contributor
  • !
I have a relaxation device that contains a square wave oscillator that produces multiple frequencies and cadences of blinking lights, it uses swim goggles with LEDs which go over the eyes. I use it for going to sleep sometimes. The various rates of flashing lights creates fantastic patterns kind of like those visualized when dreaming or similar. I think this makes it clear that oscillations are likely involved in the visual system.

It also does work, to varying degrees, on those rare occasions when I can't get to sleep. I reproduced a multi-user version of it decades ago from some magazine schematic for use at parties. It used I think a quad version of the 555 timer series. (Unfortunately long ago cannibalized for parts)

There also used to be a mechanical scuba-mask shaped version you would blow into (with a shutter mask) that used the sun for light, and was powered by your breath.

• Super Contributor
  • !
I would strongly recommend NOT doing that unless the voltages and currents involved were so low they were not just not dangerous, also I would only use a battery powered device with sophisticated enough current limiting that you would know not just the voltage applied but also the current and voltage drop actually delivered into the body, its polarity, and for how long it was on and off, and exactly where both electrodes were. And also it likely should not be continuous, it should be pulsed with a short duty cycle on. And additionally, only applied for a short time each time its used.

Because electricity delivered in that way promotes nerves to either grow or not grow and placement and polarity and current is still at the state of being worked out.

Its an area of study that is still in its infancy.

So it quite conceivably could have adverse effects if not done properly. Most certainly any voltage anyone would call 'high' is likely to be WAY too high.

That said it is an interesting area and even with the requirements listed a device to apply DC in this way, may be so straightforward to build for anybody with a bit of skill in basic electronics that one would likely jump to it.

Right?  Not necessarily unless one has some injury and is not getting care for it and is literally desperate. Somebody shouldn't do it without quite a bit of knowledge as to what they are doing. (More than I have which is why I haven't)

There needs to be awareness that as electrical potential makes nerves more (or less) likely to grow, there are many things we don't know. Everything needs to be understood as part of a learning process and not as a 'discovery' that is an endpoint.

For example, one thing I worry about is impacting the body's repair capacity as represented by the Hayflick Limit. (look that up)

That's really interesting. It reminds me of reading years ago of 'spine induced audio'. I never tried it, but the claim was that if you take audio, modulate it onto a HV train of short spikes, and AC-couple that to skin electrode pads placed over the spine, the nervous system somehow routes the signals to the right area of the brain and you can 'hear' the audio.

Also, Rule 34 applications in 5, 4, 3, 3...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:27:18 pm by cdev »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
I have a relaxation device that contains a square wave oscillator that produces multiple frequencies and cadences of blinking lights, it uses swim goggles with LEDs which go over the eyes. I use it for going to sleep sometimes. The various rates of flashing lights creates fantastic patterns kind of like those visualized when dreaming or similar. I think this makes it clear that oscillations are likely involved in the visual system.

Those thingies were supposed to alter the state of mind by exacting an influence over the basic 'brainwaves' (alpha, beta...). Not that I really believed it, but I would give it a try. Not on me of course.

When this products had been in high fashion, a female aquaintance asked me if I could build such a thing for her, as she was put off by the price. I was half through with the surreptitious remote control function when she lost interest. Dang.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
This is quite interesting, But I find it odd that they have to go the "AI" decryption method, As i would not imagine they would have enough experimental isolation of other factors, e.g. temperature, stretch, etc, all being mixed in with there desired signal,

Also from the research paper they have to amplify there signal by x20,000 times, I'm not sure how much noise you risk amplifying by that much

• Super Contributor
  • !
This is satire, but very funny and worth watching.
>>
https://media-src.nzonscreen.com/0000/2813/4326.02.Apple.0822.HI.m4v?start=0

Those thingies were supposed to alter the state of mind by exacting an influence over the basic 'brainwaves' (alpha, beta...). Not that I really believed it, but I would give it a try. Not on me of course.

When this products had been in high fashion, a female aquaintance asked me if I could build such a thing for her, as she was put off by the price. I was half through with the surreptitious remote control function when she lost interest. Dang.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 02:48:18 am by cdev »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf