Author Topic: IR or HOT AIR rework station.. what`s best?  (Read 18063 times)

Offline ErikTheNorwegianTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
IR or HOT AIR rework station.. what`s best?
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:26:12 pm »
IR or HOT AIR rework station.. what`s best?

The use BGA, cellphones, XBOX, PS3, laptop and GPU on graphics cards..

Anyone with experience of the two different technices of reballing?
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline Unelma

• Contributor
Re: IR or HOT AIR rework station.. what`s best?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 09:31:45 am »
Hello

Common budget Hot Air rework station is now Honton HT-R390 New model is marked as R392.
There are machines now in the market what have IR and Hotair in the same unit.

I have Honton HT-R390.

- Good case and supports.
- Good Hot air temperature controlling +/- 1C accuracy Altec PC410 PID controller.
- Semi good IR controlling.
- No PCB TC controlling.     

The Hot Air temperatures slides because the TC assembly, it reads lover temps when the machine gets hotter. I have not modified this yet. But I will do some modifications on it someday.
I run my profiles using pause method when I have new PCB what I am repairing.
I did little mod in top heater controlling, Used CNY17-3 (opto) that I can manually add more pulses to the SSR what controls the top heater element. I have done lot of different modifications also in the unit:

- Bottom Air flow controlling. (Stock Fan is 12V all the time)
- Silent Fans when the machine is idle. Fully automated on/off and Heat element cooling time can be changed 1-30 min.
- Laser pointer for the bottom Nozzle.
- Power controlling for the side 600W IR plates, Fotek SSR-25VA (Triac).
- IR preheat function R390 does not have this but R392 has it.
- Pimped it using 5050 RGB LED´s.

I like the unit easy to use and modifie because there is no “PC” controlling softwares.
Chine LCD displays machines have one problem is there any support when the controlling fails.
Is the controlling computer PID software really good or is it buggy?
If you want to change it, can you get support? All PID controllers can be changed.
Inside Honton HT-R390 there is basic relay stuff really easy to repair and understand this is why I bought it.

Video IR preheater:
Video Hot Air Controlling accuracy:
Video XB360 repair using manual pulsing:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:27:41 pm by Unelma »

Offline hifihifi

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:56:00 pm »
can you tell me the wires to connect the PC410 to the optocoupler ?

Offline Unelma

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 08:20:35 am »
Sorry for slow answer.
This is the simple circuit to add manually extra pulses. I used Honton 12V PSU for power. Warning pressing the button will drive the heater to 100%. I operate my machine so no protection was needed. If you need protection or more automated system simple 555 circuit will give you automated pulse what you can tweak using trimmer.

Offline zus

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 10:25:07 pm »
@Unelma I am wondering if you can help and understand if you cannot as the post is old. Crossing fingers I would get a reply lol. I have the Honton HT R-390.
"- Bottom Air flow controlling. (Stock Fan is 12V all the time)
- Silent Fans when the machine is idle. Fully automated on/off and Heat element cooling time can be changed 1-30 min"

Please can you explain how you did it or provide  schematics for this mod?

Offline zus

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 07:48:56 pm »
@Unelma, No worries I found the answers in one of your videos on youtube titled "Honton HTR390 Guts". I did the IR Preheating mod which is straight forward. In addition Top and bottom hotair fan mod, can turn off completely during ir Preheating. The upper hotair, I disconnected the factory huge Potentiometer and bridged the connector near where the upper ir fan connectors are to the board so that I could use a PWM Fan speed controller module to control it. The bottom one I used PWM module as the top. All working good. When running a profile I ensure I used full fan speed at bottom and top 50% to 100% percent speed. The laser I am just using a battery powered laser attached to the side of the upper hotair casesing which I prefer. Thank you I got there in the end. If you have time it would be great to have the schematics especially for novices.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf