Author Topic: Is EEVBlog worth it  (Read 25847 times)

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: Is EEVBlog worth it
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2021, 05:19:52 am »
"nobody owns the truth", there are so many people out of this place that, maybe, the OP has some point to be considered, but whatever...

Nobody is stopping him from making his point, but he didn't seem to do so in the actual original post.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2021, 06:42:33 am »
My answer is no.

I've been looking at this blog for a few weeks now. Dave's video's are entertaining but as soon as it gets complicated he either fudges the details or gets in wrong. My opinion is that he is not a real engineer. He never answers questions regarding his formal training, though he often claims in interviews that he has formal training. In my opinion,  often dispenses fake information.

The "advice" dispensed by the members of this blog is useless. Rather read credible books on engineering or study at an accredited university than reading the junk "advice" on this blog.

Will you allow a "doctor" without the proper credentials to operate on your brain? If you would, then happily continue reading this blog and watch Dave's videos.

I think you are right that Dave’s videos are entertaining but your comment that ‘The "advice" dispensed by the members of this blog is useless’ is more than a tad harsh; it’s a dramatic overstatement that is just plain incorrect.  As to the level of complexity addressed in Dave’s videos and on this site overall Dave’s own replies to your post state that EEVblog is geared toward providing introductory and intermediate and occasionally advanced information - but he isn’t trying to be a substitute for a text book or a university class.  So if you expect extensively deep, complicated, advanced material maybe your expectations are disappointing you.

Beyond his teaching / explaining Dave also presents model reviews and comparisons for popular commercial equipment - which you probably won’t find in most academic settings.

More/most importantly, both Dave’s educational and equipment info - as entertaining and useful as they truly are, are only components of a larger system.  This larger system is not limited by or even substantially dependent on just Dave.  Dave has built something much larger than himself - he has built and developed a platform for a worldwide community of people who share interests and knowledge across many aspects of analog and digital electronics. 

Electroboom et al are also entertaining and educational sites but they are largely one way outbound star network broadcasts.  In contrast, the EEVblog forum structure - which Dave has organized, evolved, and grown in a thoughtfully managed manner over the years provides excellent opportunities for people at beginning, intermediate, and sometimes advanced levels to exchange information across various categories as learners and teachers.  The exchange of information occurs in a way that generally brings understandings and some joy to the learners, and also some joy to the teachers.  And occasionally the learners advance to become teachers just as occasionally the teachers use the forums as learners to gain further knowledge.  In contrast look at the Electoboom model - as fun and interesting as it is, it’s hard to see the community of learners and teachers sharing much more than comments on an episode.  Questions posted by viewers generally get few or sometimes no replies, much less in depth replies as the Q&A is quickly truncated.  It is a star network with a central transmit node and many remote receive nodes vs the EEVblog model which is is much more of a mesh network with full transmit receive interactivity.  It’s kind of like saying a TV program has millions of viewers so there must be a lot useful education occurring vs a college class with hundreds of students.  The number of nodes and the interactive functionality are substantially different between the two models, and so is the opportunity for teaching and learning.  Apples and oranges.

IMO the key to getting value from EEVblog, beside setting reasonable expectations, is a user’s/member’s ability to exchange value.  If you are looking for a site where you and all the other users strictly or substantially extract value it’s unlikely that such a model can scale, especially for free.  On the other hand if you contribute value at somewhere near or beyond the level you extract value it’s possible the model can sustain and grow.  As to the quality of the Q&A, that is dependent on the participants’ experience, knowledge, skill, and intentions.  So you might ask how much of each of those attributes you have contributed vs what you extracted.  Clearly, there are people here who are in receive-only mode but there are also many people who contribute much more than what they extract in terms of pure content value. 

As Dave pointed out for himself, he gets a lot of satisfaction in teaching and I think that is true of many of the most admired contributors in the forums.  As you probably know from your own experience a teacher’s knowledge of the content is a key to successful teaching, as is the ability to stimulate a passion for learning and an ability to learn on the part of the students.  And in a great class the students become colleagues helping each other learn and advance in their pursuits.

Personally, I have found EEVblog to be a very educational, enjoyable, and valuable site but YMMV. 

In any event, if you aren’t enjoying either being a learner or a teacher here then the value you are deriving isn’t likely to be meaningful and your time and energy can perhaps be better spent elsewhere.  If you find some other sites that provide better opportunities for receiving and/or providing electronics related information and education please make a post in this thread or in a new thread about your findings.  In the meantime, stick around, maybe adjust a few expectations a tad, and focus on teaching in parallel with learning and enjoy the community building as well as the content exchange.  Filter or ignore noise that is distracting and focus on transmitting and receiving good signals.  If you see some signals with packet errors and you feel strongly about them apply some constructive error correction after your detection.  Or maybe just apply some extra selectivity as you scan the bands/forums to engage in the subjects you are most passionate about.  Not everything here is worth reading much less engaging just like not everything on TV is worth watching.  But unlike TV and many web sites you can have a TDMA slot to burst into whenever you want.   :-+
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 02:34:12 am by Electro Fan »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, MrMobodies

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2021, 07:07:09 am »
I'm here all week, and the week after that, and the week after that........

You need to be here to do an Invasive and Repetitive Advertising of your store in 16153+ (counting) posts.

Says the guy that just rocked up. I believe I was withing the first few hundred to join the forum, that is how I managed to get my first name alone as my username, that had never been possible before. that was back in about 2019 when you may have been in nappies, so that is 12 years. All of this is publicly available as is my average post rate which is 3.6/day, these days most of these in my earlier days and these days they are post to deal with people like you. You are making 0.4 posts/day and they are of no value so go figure.

Anything else that got stuck in your butt? Most forums would have just banned you by now, but this is fun.

The following users thanked this post: fourtytwo42

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2021, 07:10:01 am »
The "advice" dispensed by the members of this blog is useless. Rather read credible books on engineering or study at an accredited university than reading the junk "advice" on this blog.

Actually I think EEVBlog has the lowest signal-to-noise ratio of any large internet forum I'm aware of.  I've gotten plenty of helpful advice here, and perhaps given a bit too.
The lowest signal-to-noise ratio?
I think you need to post a question for helpful advice on S/N ratio. LOL  :-DD
No malice intended BTW.

He could try other forums like the one where a moderator will give life threatening advice with absolute certainty. I left at that point as fortunately I knew he was very wrong and was looking for more advanced information on the topic and not willing to be on a forum where well known safety information was being blatantly ignored.

The following users thanked this post: fourtytwo42

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2021, 07:22:20 am »
I believe I was withing the first few hundred to join the forum, that is how I managed to get my first name alone as my username, that had never been possible before. that was back in about 2019 when you may have been in nappies, so that is 12 years. All of this is publicly available as is my average post rate which is 3.6/day, these days most of these in my earlier days and these days they are post to deal with people like you. You are making 0.4 posts/day and they are of no value so go figure.

Wow, now you have something important to put in your résumé.  :-DD

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2021, 07:25:17 am »
Is EEVBlog worth it
Yes. Neeeeext!
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics

Offline brabus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2021, 08:58:02 am »
The OP must have had a gigantic misunderstanding: this place is not a school, nor an university, nor a training of any kind. This is a place made of people (including Dave), making people things, including mistakes. Intelligenti pauca.

Sheesh.

The following users thanked this post: BillyD, AlienRelics, m98, eti

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2021, 09:18:45 am »
I believe I was withing the first few hundred to join the forum, that is how I managed to get my first name alone as my username, that had never been possible before. that was back in about 2019 when you may have been in nappies, so that is 12 years. All of this is publicly available as is my average post rate which is 3.6/day, these days most of these in my earlier days and these days they are post to deal with people like you. You are making 0.4 posts/day and they are of no value so go figure.

Wow, now you have something important to put in your résumé.  :-DD

actually a bit more than that.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2021, 09:58:32 am »
My answer is no.

I've been looking at this blog for a few weeks now. Dave's video's are entertaining but as soon as it gets complicated he either fudges the details or gets in wrong. My opinion is that he is not a real engineer. He never answers questions regarding his formal training, though he often claims in interviews that he has formal training. In my opinion,  often dispenses fake information.

The "advice" dispensed by the members of this blog is useless. Rather read credible books on engineering or study t an accredited university than reading the junk "advice" on this blog.

Will you allow a "doctor" without the proper credentials to operate on your brain? If you would, then happily continuae reading this blog and watch Dave's videos.

I kind of take offense by that statement.

I have learn't a lot from Dave Jones over the years, from nothing to something. Whatever I couldn't understand at first I spent time trying to find out about it in order to expand my knowledge. It is not an ideal world for some as I don't access to the equipment that he has, no one to show me stuff or to afford it plus he shows you how to use it and how things work backed up by datasheets, that is what I find inspires confidence.

I remember he said many years ago in some video that his audiences were complaining about too little detail or too much so you can't please everybody.

Over the years I have found this forum very helpful into helping people do all sorts of stuff.

I don't believe anything in that statement not after the numerous teardowns over the years and showing us how thing work and repairing stuff and his connections and interviews.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 10:04:17 am by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, BillyD, AlienRelics

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2021, 03:25:53 pm »

Stackexchange is useful for "which button do I use to floggle the widgeon in ObscureApp v1.3.2?" type questions. Or where a technician wants to copy and paste code into their application, without understanding it.
Don't be snobby about Technicians.
I'm a Tech, & I find Stackexchange pretty inadequate.
Stackexchange fails dismally where subtle points can and should be debated to and fro.

The "rating" & placing answers "in order of relevance", mostly reveals the lack of knowledge of the question subject matter on the part of the moderator doing what is basically censorship.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2021, 04:23:00 pm »

Stackexchange is useful for "which button do I use to floggle the widgeon in ObscureApp v1.3.2?" type questions. Or where a technician wants to copy and paste code into their application, without understanding it.

Oh, I'm not snobby about technicians! I was intending to be snarky about the "technicians" that merely copy-paste code but call themselves "software engineers" or "programmers". I probably didn't make that clear enough.

Both technicians and engineers are vital, but they perform different functions - just like doctors and nurses. If I want a disease diagnosed and treatment prescribed, I need a doctor. OTOH if I want a needle inserted or leg plastered, I need a nurse. Vive la difference!

Stackexchange fails dismally where subtle points can and should be debated to and fro.

The "rating" & placing answers "in order of relevance", mostly reveals the lack of knowledge of the question subject matter on the part of the moderator doing what is basically censorship.

I've never stayed there longer than to copy-paste a solution :) That means I haven't noticed censorship. The poor quality of the questions and answers is apparent.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2021, 05:05:25 pm »
I learned Field Theory from Haus and Melcher.

There is nothing that those two individuals say about how to blink an LED on the Arduino. Therefore, your knowledge is worthless.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Mazo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2021, 05:38:31 pm »
Started watching the youtube channel when I was 15-16,after just a few videos I binge watched all the videos,that Dave had uploaded,and anxiously waited for new ones.I HAVE a very clear memory how I learned how an opamp "works" from Dave's Video Op-amp Basics(or whatever it is called) and because I got really interested in electronics design,bought and read alot of books and watched a lot of other videos ofcourse,while reading the forum everyday without actually searching for something,just reading and learning from the old farts.

Long story short 8years later I still read the forum everyday,sadly I rarely watch the videos anymore(sorry Dave  :-\ )
The result:Finished university as an EE,it is my hobby and profession(almost 4years of experience),and I already have a lot of projects behind my back,and I can confidently say that the difference in technical knowledge between me and almost every collegue,who hasn't/doesn't spend that much time and energy in reading and watching videos on electronic's topics is obvious.

Is EEVBlog(the videos part,not the forum) worth it for me now?Probably not really,as I barely watch 1-2 videos per year.
Was it worth it for my personal development-immensely.
The forum is still the best electronics "pub",I have found on the 'net,so nothing to discuss here.

Pretty sob and cliche story,just wanted to share,so people here can see that while they are just chatting,there might be doing what formal education isn't.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, SeanB, AlienRelics, eti

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2021, 05:46:59 pm »
daves videos like bypass capacitor video tutorials are great. but current source/mirror circuit missing proof/measurement like bandwidth/spectrum and impedance is a bit disappointing especially seeing fantastic equipment some vblogers acquired.
it is easier to imagine how circuits would behave in real world.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2021, 06:25:29 pm »

There is nothing that those two individuals say about how to blink an LED on the Arduino. Therefore, your knowledge is worthless.

You're joking, right?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2021, 06:33:02 pm »

IMHO technicians are broadly under-appreciated and under-paid. A good tech requires much of the same skillset as a good engineer, with an additional set of skills on top of that. I think in many cases technician should be a class of engineer.

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, N0NB

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2021, 06:50:49 pm »

You're joking, right?

That was to show that OP's question did not make sense in the first place.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2021, 07:53:28 pm »

IMHO technicians are broadly under-appreciated and under-paid. A good tech requires much of the same skillset as a good engineer, with an additional set of skills on top of that. I think in many cases technician should be a class of engineer.

Engineers are underpaid too.

Engineers have an addition set of skills that technicians don't - or rather most don't need.

The analogy "engineer:technician is as doctor:nurse" isn't a bad analogy. There is overlap, but also a lot of difference.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2021, 07:58:50 pm »
bottom line is that the sales people get paid more as apparently they make the money. If they are that good at smoozing the customer and telling white lies that we engineers can just deliver maybe we should present them with an empty box to sell as a challenge :)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2021, 09:54:08 pm »
Engineers are underpaid too.

Engineers have an addition set of skills that technicians don't - or rather most don't need.

The analogy "engineer:technician is as doctor:nurse" isn't a bad analogy. There is overlap, but also a lot of difference.

I don't feel like I'm underpaid. Engineers, especially software engineers make very good money around here. At one of the major tech companies a competent mid level software engineer is typically earning well into six figures with good benefits.

Technicians seem to earn about 1/2 or less what a hardware engineer would make.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 09:55:45 pm by james_s »

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2021, 10:06:07 pm »
bottom line is that the sales people get paid more as apparently they make the money.

Sales people are also generally the people in the higher executive ranks at many companies, especially older Fortune 500 companies, and they tend to look after their own.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2021, 10:37:29 pm »
Jeff Bezos seems to be some sort of engineer but average joe with whatever engineer degree will never come close to him
5minute crafts bul*(10m/y) vs eevblog(10k/y)

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2021, 11:06:59 pm »
Started watching the youtube channel when I was 15-16,after just a few videos I binge watched all the videos,that Dave had uploaded,and anxiously waited for new ones.I HAVE a very clear memory how I learned how an opamp "works" from Dave's Video Op-amp Basics(or whatever it is called) and because I got really interested in electronics design,bought and read alot of books and watched a lot of other videos ofcourse,while reading the forum everyday without actually searching for something,just reading and learning from the old farts.

Long story short 8years later I still read the forum everyday,sadly I rarely watch the videos anymore(sorry Dave  :-\ )
The result:Finished university as an EE,it is my hobby and profession(almost 4years of experience),and I already have a lot of projects behind my back,and I can confidently say that the difference in technical knowledge between me and almost every collegue,who hasn't/doesn't spend that much time and energy in reading and watching videos on electronic's topics is obvious.

Is EEVBlog(the videos part,not the forum) worth it for me now?Probably not really,as I barely watch 1-2 videos per year.
Was it worth it for my personal development-immensely.
The forum is still the best electronics "pub",I have found on the 'net,so nothing to discuss here.

Pretty sob and cliche story,just wanted to share,so people here can see that while they are just chatting,there might be doing what formal education isn't.

That is a great story:  from EEVblog to EE.  Not sure what could be a better endorsement, and Congrats on all the excellent progress.  :-+ :-+
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 11:34:26 am by Electro Fan »

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, Mazo

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2021, 11:41:28 pm »
Those who feel underpaid as engineers are free to change careers.  I agree that managers and good salespeople generally make quite a bit more than engineers.  But after trying a bit of both I decided that my own happiness had much greater value than the pay differential.  Which is also why I didn't go the entrepreneur route where you get to perform all three jobs and several others besides.  Once you have enough to eat and stay warm and dry money becomes much less important.

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, newbrain, james_s

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2021, 01:01:39 am »
Just so. Clearly a man after my own heart :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf