Author Topic: Is EEVBlog worth it  (Read 25787 times)

Offline dtmoutonTopic starter

• Contributor
Is EEVBlog worth it
« on: November 17, 2021, 03:35:48 pm »
Wonderful blog.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 12:55:10 pm by dtmouton »

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
Re: Is EEVBlog worth it
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 03:40:35 pm »
you can leave anytime you want

Offline pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 03:49:20 pm »
I'm just here for the cat pix.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, rs20, Cubdriver, LateLesley, Fredderic, SiliconWizard, derree, ve1nhb

Offline isometrik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 03:55:13 pm »
To dtmouton: Start your own blog and let's see if you can do better.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Psi, SeanB, joeqsmith, Cubdriver, AmnevaR, Jacon, MrMobodies, HobGoblyn, eti, derree

Offline penfold

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 04:11:41 pm »
The "advice" dispensed by the members of this blog is useless. Rather read credible books on engineering or study at an accredited university than reading the junk "advice" on this blog.

Can you rephrase that, it's causing me a headache. I assume from your ability to post that comment that you are a member, you are advising me to read credible book on engineering or study at an accredited university. Does that mean I should take your advice or not? Perhaps you're instructing me, does that make a difference, are the "instructions" dispensed by members OK to follow and just not the advice?

Does it matter what I study at this accredited university? Does it need to be engineering?

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 04:21:44 pm »
The "advice" dispensed by the members of this blog is useless. Rather read credible books on engineering or study at an accredited university than reading the junk "advice" on this blog.

Can you rephrase that, it's causing me a headache. I assume from your ability to post that comment that you are a member, you are advising me to read credible book on engineering or study at an accredited university. Does that mean I should take your advice or not? Perhaps you're instructing me, does that make a difference, are the "instructions" dispensed by members OK to follow and just not the advice?

Does it matter what I study at this accredited university? Does it need to be engineering?

Be careful trying to understand that self-referential recursion of solipsism; for if one achieves it, the universe my very well collapse into a singularity.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 04:36:10 pm »
Valid always and everywhere: you need to know enough about a topic to tell the bull shit from the good shit. Otherwise, someone will sell you an X for a U and you will not even notice. Personally, around here I always find good advice and (try to) give good advice.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 04:54:58 pm »
The "advice" dispensed by the members of this blog is useless.

I would agree that much of the "information" found on any Internet discussion forum is worthless, but there's also a lot of helpful information to be found as well. Sorting the wheat from the chaff is the hard part.

I would also agree that someone working professionally in the industry probably has other sources of information and knowledge and doesn't need to get answers from Internet forums, but also keep in mind that many of the participants on this forum are amateurs without formal training and the information they find here is often a useful starting point.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 04:58:54 pm »

I like that :-)

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 05:04:29 pm »
I learned a lot in this forum. I also try to help others and I am very happy that I did it sometimes.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 05:05:41 pm »

Actually I think EEVBlog has the lowest signal-to-noise ratio of any large internet forum I'm aware of.  I've gotten plenty of helpful advice here, and perhaps given a bit too.

I think the point of the LED-circuit discussion went over your head.  Yes, it turns out you can solve it surprisingly accurately compared to Dave's experiment--the one where he went to the trouble of matching the LEDs.  Lots of us know the diode equations and their applications--bias compensation in an audio amplifier for example--but I think most would not bother trying to apply it to such a circuit.  And, in the end, it turns out that the person who had presented the problem had no intention of anyone using it.

The analysis that you had attached to one of your posts, I don't know if it is yours or if you copied it, has an interesting statement.

"Engineering students are taught to make reasonable assumptions when there is missing information."

Is that really acceptable for 'professional engineers'?  Or just for solving academic problems?

And as for your statements on registered and professional engineers, there was a debate on on that long back.  Every country and sometimes states has their own rules on this, but those certifications are typically required only for certain activities.  Except for one hapless Oregon man who the licensing board went after (they lost, eventually) I've not heard of any such requirement for making public comments or YouTube videos.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 05:07:20 pm by bdunham7 »
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 05:08:39 pm »
It is too bad that the OP is getting nothing from the EEVBlog.  I admit that I pay little attention to the videos.  While Dave is better than most, I can read much faster than videos present information.  This comment is totally independent of the quality of the content though I have noticed no major bloopers in the videos I have observed.

If the OP is complaining about the forum also, then I suspect that the finger should point back at himself.  I have advanced degrees in engineering, and am retired after a five decade career in the field and find much useful information on the forum.  Some theoretical information, but I would agree that texts are usually a better source.  But a great deal of specific and practical information about specific devices, instruments, repair techniques and sources. 

In addition, the caliber of the people involved in the discussions is far higher than typical in other on line venues.  People here to make trouble, people who have trouble tying their shoelaces and people who have difficulty dealing with other points of view are relatively rare.

Absolutely not useless.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, SilverSolder, joeqsmith, Cubdriver, Jacon, derree

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 05:14:01 pm »
And as for your statements on registered and professional engineers, there was a debate on on that long back.  Every country and sometimes states has their own rules on this, but those certifications are typically required only for certain activities.

I've worked in the field in the US for 35 years, and have known only one EE who was a registered PE. The vast majority of PE's I've known are civil engineers and structural engineers.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 05:21:39 pm »
Dave sells video views, simple as that.  If he steps them up to the level of PhDs, the audience shrinks to the point that there is no money in making videos.  The videos need to be of value to beginners.

I like this one: 

Yes, I know there are second order effects to consider but the video presents the essence of how to use op amps.  There is time later to discuss the fine points.

There are a lot of talented people on the forum that keep the conversations on track.  That is the main purpose of the forum; help beginners make things that work.  I suspect many of these helpful people do indeed have formal education - a lot of it!

OP:  Your objections are noted.  Now go find a more appropriate forum for your more advanced status.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 05:27:44 pm by rstofer »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Psi, AndersJ, MrMobodies

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2021, 05:24:52 pm »
Rather read credible books on engineering or study at an accredited university than reading the junk "advice" on this blog.
Books and university doesn't teach you, what happens when your IC is out of stock, and you need production happening on Monday. Never seen anything else than ideal opamp on Electronics II, never seen one at digikey. Uni has its place but it doesn't prepare you for the real world. Good luck.

The following users thanked this post: Yansi

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2021, 05:28:43 pm »
I've worked in the field in the US for 35 years, and have known only one EE who was a registered PE. The vast majority of PE's I've known are civil engineers and structural engineers.

Yes, you need the license to put your stamp on plans, where said plans are required to be stamped--and it is mostly state laws that regulate that.  There are PE mechanical engineers as well, for things like refineries and generating plants.  But people designing toasters and automobiles aren't state-regulated, there are other agencies for that.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2021, 05:41:11 pm »
Please show me how a one Ounce PCB can shied a magnetic field with a frequency of 25 kHz. Then I will take you seriously.

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 05:42:29 pm »
What's your point?

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2021, 05:45:01 pm »
Didn't your university teach you to use commonly-available opamps?

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2021, 05:45:26 pm »
What's your point?

You need to quote whoever it is you are responding too (as I have here) otherwise nobody has any idea who or what your reply is directed at.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2021, 05:59:44 pm »
What's your point?

You need to quote whoever it is you are responding too (as I have here) otherwise nobody has any idea who or what your reply is directed at.
The three consecutive replies from OP make it seem like he's talking to himself  :-DD
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2021, 06:05:29 pm »
Please show me how a one Ounce PCB can shied a magnetic field with a frequency of 25 kHz. Then I will take you seriously.

Let's start off with teaching you to use the forum quotation BB code.

Baby steps, baby steps ...

Code: [Select]
[quote]
This is a quote.
[/quote]
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2021, 06:21:41 pm »

The 741 op amp was introduced to industry in 1968.  It hadn't filtered down by the time I graduated in '73.  In grad school I worked on digital design and avoided analog with a dedication.  Mostly because the math was a bit** on a slide rule.  The HP 35 calculator wasn't introduced until 1972 and I couldn't afford one until about 1976 when I finished grad school and bought an HP 45.  We did a lot of simplifications in those days simply because the math was untenable.  Large matrix problems weren't all that much fun.

Digital, in the early days of the microcomputer, was a lot more interesting.  With FPGAs, it still is!

I would have to go back to my books for your Field Theory problem and it isn't interesting to me.  It wasn't interesting when I took the class and it isn't interesting now.  What is interesting is whether to use a one, two or three process Finite State Machine.  Each has their good points and I usually choose to use the two process approach.  Other opinions vary...

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2021, 06:48:17 pm »

The 741 op amp was introduced to industry in 1968.  It hadn't filtered down by the time I graduated in '73.  In grad school I worked on digital design and avoided analog with a dedication.  Mostly because the math was a bit** on a slide rule.  The HP 35 calculator wasn't introduced until 1972 and I couldn't afford one until about 1976 when I finished grad school and bought an HP 45.  We did a lot of simplifications in those days simply because the math was untenable.  Large matrix problems weren't all that much fun.

Digital, in the early days of the microcomputer, was a lot more interesting.  With FPGAs, it still is!

I would have to go back to my books for your Field Theory problem and it isn't interesting to me.  It wasn't interesting when I took the class and it isn't interesting now.  What is interesting is whether to use a one, two or three process Finite State Machine.  Each has their good points and I usually choose to use the two process approach.  Other opinions vary...

You can look a Dave's video on magnetic shielding for the Field Theory problem.

I used the 741 in 1980 for the first time, programmed a Z80 in 1982, programmed a TMS320C25 in 1989 and love field theory. I've been programming FPGAs since 95 and still have one on my desk right now. I learned Field Theory from Haus and Melcher.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2021, 07:01:49 pm »
I learned several interesting tidbits here in EEVBlog, and contributed to several other threads.

As others have said, the University will not teach you everything about the intricacies of the trade and much less provide the knowledge across the board on incredibly diverse areas that members routinely contribute here.

Sorry that you are not pleased with your interactions around here, but it is far from such generalizations.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2021, 07:12:20 pm »
My answer is no.

I've been looking at this blog for a few weeks now. Dave's video's are entertaining but as soon as it gets complicated he either fudges the details or gets in wrong. My opinion is that he is not a real engineer. He never answers questions regarding his formal training, though he often claims in interviews that he has formal training. In my opinion,  often dispenses fake information.

Will you allow a "doctor" without the proper credentials to operate on your brain? If you would, then happily continue reading this blog and watch Dave's videos.

Worth what? Your time? Your money? Your pride?

Your arguments in this thread lack specificity and, taken together, suggest to me that you are simply pissed off more than anything else. That is, you are angry...about something specific that has happened (even if it is was the "last straw"), but you are not going to go into that, at least not at first, but clearly you want to litigate your issues online.

I did take the time to go through your posting history to some extent and it seems that you did not act like you felt this way initially (you no longer recommend those videos to your students - so you did recommend those videos at some earlier time), but have now reached a conclusion and it is a global conclusion full of ad hominum attacks.

In fact, while I did not see much in the way of you asking for help, you have dispensed help - that you now condemn ("The "advice" dispensed by the members of this blog is useless."), yet, you have not just said your peace and left. Instead, you very much want to engage on the issues as evidenced by your additional posting in the thread.

It is, in some ways, unfortunate as your posting demonstrates that you teach. It also demonstrates, to me, a level of bureaucratic experience that may be taking its toll (you are still pissed enough to mention that your employer "forced you to do that") so many years ago. Taking its toll because your behavior suggests that you no longer appreciate the concept of near-peer mentorship (it is not just age-based) at any level through any media.

Even in your short posting history you are seeking acknowledgement for both your stature and your "solutions" - see the beginners thread in which you were, oh so critical, about what 'level' of answer should be given to a high school student vs a university student and so on - but nothing in the way of "agree to disagree" after making a point (and you most definitely did make a point, but it is not what I will remember about you and that memory will fade in a few days, if not a few hours). You don't seem capable of "agree to disagree" after making a point. You seem too pig-headed to see that such an issue is up for debate, that such an issue is not new and that educators in all fields deal with that kind of issue. In this regard, you have demonstrated a starkly disappointing insufficiency for self-evaluation.

I don't need to defend anyone here, but hear this well, this Dave guy has pissed me off a couple of times (never about EE matters) and I spoke my peace...and I did not back down...and then I continued...hopefully to make some helpful contributions to others seeking help and also to seek help myself.

Plenty of what is written will piss me off, especially when it is my area and is so terribly misinformed. That is how you feel now. When it is too much, I simply block those people so I don't see their rabble and don't ever respond to their rabble.

One piece of "food for thought" (and I suspect this will piss you off further) that I will give you is to ask yourself whether you should seek therapy on a public internet forum. Just as you yearn for everybody to go to the standard educational sources exclusively for EE information, and medical doctors for brain surgery, why not apply that to your anger?

So, I ask rhetorically (in this case. that means that I don't care much about your response and we both know that you desperately want to respond) - what is it you are after? I believe that what you seek is validation and you are likely not going to get what you seek here and now. Don't you get that?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 07:32:13 pm by DrG »
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, rsjsouza, thm_w, langwadt, Gregg, Jacon, schmitt trigger, eti

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2021, 07:13:35 pm »
It's worth considerably more than the $0 I pay so yeah, I think it's worth it. The forum is effectively the local pub I hang out at and chat with similar minded folks. If you don't enjoy it here nobody is forcing you to stick around, go find somewhere you like better.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, SeanB, Someone, langwadt, newbrain, Jacon, eti

Offline Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2021, 07:14:40 pm »
I'm a Network Engineer, trying to learn a bit more of the foundations of the technology I work with every day. I absolutely believe the EEVBlog forum membership has been worthwhile for everyone involved. And membership is freely open to everyone to learn, share and ask questions :-+ Beginners, Experts, Professionals and hobbyists alike.

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2021, 07:28:10 pm »
My answer is no.

I've been looking at this blog for a few weeks now. Dave's video's are entertaining but as soon as it gets complicated he either fudges the details or gets in wrong. My opinion is that he is not a real engineer. He never answers questions regarding his formal training, though he often claims in interviews that he has formal training. In my opinion,  often dispenses fake information.

Will you allow a "doctor" without the proper credentials to operate on your brain? If you would, then happily continue reading this blog and watch Dave's videos.

EEVblog is a RELIGION, just check how many people gave Thanks for the langwadt's post "you can leave anytime you want" > "The following users thanked this post: TheBay, joeqsmith, Ian.M, rstofer, MasterTech, pqass, alexnoot" and soon will be more people, LOL.

There are a lot of fanatic and egocentric people here that love to show how smart they are, but this is just the Real World, and if you check other big forums, like the "diyAudio", is the same, EE people are not so friendly, neither humble.

The only thing I have to say about Dave is that he is a Focused, Clever, and Crazy Electronics Hobbyist. And AFAIK, one of the few people that Really Make Money with electronics, I think he makes close to 7 figures per year from multiple sources, and he doesn't need to buy almost anything, the big companies just open the legs for him.

About the EEVblog forum, it's good, I'll rate it as 3 (from 1 to 5), the main problem is the super-long threads with more than 20, 50, 100 pages that you have to read to try to understand that issue, but this is a problem related to the Blog Format, not Dave.

Try to be positive, you can enjoy reading some posts here, and learning something useful (except making money).  :-+

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2021, 07:34:48 pm »
How much do you pay for EEVBLOG? If it's too much, stop buying it. That is all. :horse:

The following users thanked this post: eti

Online andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2021, 07:40:27 pm »
My answer is no.

Am I to understand that you learnt everything you know about the subjects you know from your university education?
If so, what made you want to come to a forum like this? Is it to further your knowledge and intelligence from others who may have gone through the mill and have real life experience or just to find a place to criticize others? Nobody asked you to join or for your opinion about this forum. So, I would respectfully ask you to leave the rest of us and the forum. Just get the hell out of here. End of story. Have peace.

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2021, 08:39:15 pm »
I think EEVblog is great, as a retired engineer with several patents to my name and a long business career it keeps me in touch with what fellow enthusiasts are into and doing, if I can help I chip in but I am usually beaten by others. Whenever I have been stumped by something a quick question here gets some really useful other insights, so no I completely disagree with the OP and as others have said if you don't like it bugger off!

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, 3db, eti

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2021, 08:56:47 pm »
Everyone has a right to an opinion, fair enough. Don't expect this well advance you very far, though. Dave is a highly regarded, very nice natured (sometimes ranty, hehe) and respected chap, and he's worked very hard and still does. If you want a paper degree, sign up to an online course and get one, or at your local university.

I respect your right to a viewpoint, and thus, you must respect the right to maybe some of us thinking you're having an off day, and need your "reset" button pressing to restore normal mental balance

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2021, 09:22:46 pm »
OP appears to be typical academic wingnut. How about you show us how to youtube? You know, build an audience not just profess to a captive one.

I'll bet something said on Dave's twitter caused some triggering.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2021, 09:58:24 pm »
My answer is no.

EEVblog is a RELIGION, just check how many people gave Thanks for the langwadt's post "you can leave anytime you want"

quite a few religions where "leave anytime you want" is not really an option ;)

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, james_s

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2021, 10:12:56 pm »
If eevblog is a religion then so is the corner pub. Imagine you're sitting in there nursing a pint and chatting with the guys around you. Someone walks in and starts loudly and bitterly complaining about what a terrible pub it is, the beer is overpriced, the food is terrible, the seats are uncomfortable and it's just not worth it. Somebody pipes up "You know, you can leave any time you want!" I expect they'd get a fair amount of applause and I fail to see what this has to do with religion. If you like it here stick around, if you don't like it then leave, what exactly do you hope to gain by complaining about it?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:18:23 pm by james_s »

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, thinkfat

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2021, 10:15:14 pm »
EEVblog is a RELIGION, just check how many people gave Thanks for the langwadt's post "you can leave anytime you want"

quite a few religions where "leave anytime you want" is not really an option ;)

It's a SECT.  :-DD

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2021, 10:16:49 pm »
Yes, you need the license to put your stamp on plans, where said plans are required to be stamped--and it is mostly state laws that regulate that.  There are PE mechanical engineers as well, for things like refineries and generating plants.  But people designing toasters and automobiles aren't state-regulated, there are other agencies for that.

My dad was a PE mechanical engineer, he spent many years designing boilers for pulp mills and power plants. I don't think I've ever worked with an EE that was a PE.

Offline ANTALIFE

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2021, 10:25:33 pm »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2021, 10:45:31 pm »
My answer is no.

So what are your credentials that allow you to write off the whole 10+ years of Daves work and apparently every member on here - good luck oh mighty one, I'm here all week, and the week after that, and the week after that........

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2021, 10:54:23 pm »
I can't find the thread now, but didn't Dave get Chartered sometime in the last couple of years?
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2021, 10:55:51 pm »
I'm here all week, and the week after that, and the week after that........

You need to be here to do an Invasive and Repetitive Advertising of your store in 16153+ (counting) posts.

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2021, 11:10:06 pm »
I can't find the thread now, but didn't Dave get Chartered sometime in the last couple of years?

Dave Johns never entered in to any university.
He got degree of general electronics from technical college name unknown.
He worked as trainee in to a company which did electronics design, for a short period and he got fired.
As soon he got fired he started the Blog.
7-years ago the Australian company closed down.
And Dave is making 7-figures/year now.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:11:41 pm by Trader »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2021, 11:14:08 pm »
So much misinformation there.
iratus parum formica

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2021, 11:15:13 pm »
He worked as trainee in to a company which did electronics design, for a short period and he got fired.

If that's all true, then good for him!

The following users thanked this post: james_s, Trader

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2021, 11:15:17 pm »

We are now narrowing down the things he's butt hurt about.
The magnetic shielding video and the LED video.
Let's make a comprehensive list, this is fun!

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2021, 11:16:29 pm »

I don't like your haircut.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2021, 11:22:56 pm »
About the EEVblog forum, it's good, I'll rate it as 3 (from 1 to 5), the main problem is the super-long threads with more than 20, 50, 100 pages that you have to read to try to understand that issue, but this is a problem related to the Blog Format, not Dave.

That's just the (unfortunate?) fact of every forum, they are discussion forums. The only way to get around that is to currate info Wikipedia style. But they are two entirely different thing with different goals.

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, schmitt trigger, Trader

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2021, 11:24:25 pm »
I did take the time to go through your posting history to some extent and it seems that you did not act like you felt this way initially (you no longer recommend those videos to your students - so you did recommend those videos at some earlier time), but have now reached a conclusion and it is a global conclusion full of ad hominum attacks.

If OP was recommending specific videos to their students and did not vet the information within then that is entirely on them.
I would never recommend entire blogs/youtube channels if I were a teacher, as the content varies so much. Only mention specific ones where relevant to the class (eg here is a good opamp tutorial video or whatever).
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2021, 11:29:00 pm »

That's just the (unfortunate?) fact of every forum, they are discussion forums. The only way to get around that is to currate info Wikipedia style. But they are two entirely different thing with different goals.

Yes, I also thought about the Wiki format, but actually, there are other options, something like Stackoverflow, still a discussion forum, but the most relevant posts appear first, and rated.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2021, 11:29:06 pm »
EEVblog is a RELIGION, just check how many people gave Thanks for the langwadt's post "you can leave anytime you want" > "The following users thanked this post: TheBay, joeqsmith, Ian.M, rstofer, MasterTech, pqass, alexnoot" and soon will be more people, LOL.

There are a lot of fanatic and egocentric people here that love to show how smart they are, but this is just the Real World, and if you check other big forums, like the "diyAudio", is the same, EE people are not so friendly, neither humble.

Maybe everyone here just likes the forum, is proud of their contributions, like helping people out and having technical discussions, and don't take kindly when people disparage all this.

The following users thanked this post: johnboxall, BillyD, AlienRelics, Gyro, Cubdriver, newbrain, rstofer, james_s, fourtytwo42, Trader

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2021, 11:31:43 pm »
If the OP really decides to leave, I might actually miss him. I went through his posting history and it looked like there could be some things for me worth learning.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2021, 11:39:51 pm »
If the OP really decides to leave, I might actually miss him. I went through his posting history and it looked like there could be some things for me worth learning.

Bit like someone else we all remember. Top notch posts, sure. Just cannot seem to play nicely in the sandpit.

It's the irony of personal attack that gets me.
iratus parum formica

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2021, 11:40:32 pm »
Dave sells video views, simple as that.  If he steps them up to the level of PhDs, the audience shrinks to the point that there is no money in making videos.  The videos need to be of value to beginners.

True, but it's not as simple as that.
Views are nice, but it's not about the money. Almost none of my videos make it worth the time to actually make them in the first place. I do the more beginner oriented videos because I want to do them, I like to do them, I get satisfaction from the feedback I get from hobbyists and students and knowing that I'm helping people get into the hobby or field in an understanble manner that hopefully doesn't turn them off.
I would not get those things from making advanced level theoretical videos. If you want that, MIT have their entire course available on their Youtube channel for free, I recommend you go watch them instead of my channel.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Electro Fan, thm_w, AlienRelics, lausvi, james_s, Jacon, andy3055

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2021, 11:44:46 pm »
A lot of the dry academic lectures bore me to tears. I like a lot of the basic tutorials, I find that even in areas where I have a fair amount of experience there are still some gaps in my knowledge and I end up learning something new.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2021, 11:46:57 pm »

I do the more beginner oriented videos because I want to do them, I like to do them, I get satisfaction from the feedback I get from hobbyists and students and knowing that I'm helping people get into the hobby or field in an understandable manner that hopefully doesn't turn them off.

That's because you're old enough to remember the days of magazines etc that did in fact encourage beginner no matter what their age and professional experience elsewhere. The way most trained ppl treat newbies these days is dogshit.
iratus parum formica

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2021, 11:48:26 pm »
A lot of the dry academic lectures bore me to tears. I like a lot of the basic tutorials, I find that even in areas where I have a fair amount of experience there are still some gaps in my knowledge and I end up learning something new.

In my experience in a large engineering organization the dominant difference between a good engineer and one you would be better off without is that the good ones not only realized they could learn something new, but were eager to learn new things.  The other class of engineers thought they already knew everything.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2021, 11:52:22 pm »
OP appears to be typical academic wingnut. How about you show us how to youtube? You know, build an audience not just profess to a captive one.

I think it's simply:

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, SeanB, james_s, Jacon, fourtytwo42, eti

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2021, 11:52:28 pm »

Yes, I also thought about the Wiki format, but actually, there are other options, something like Stackoverflow, still a discussion forum, but the most relevant posts appear first, and rated.

Stackexchange is useful for "which button do I use to floggle the widgeon in ObscureApp v1.3.2?" type questions. Or where a technician wants to copy and paste code into their application, without understanding it.

Stackexchange fails dismally where subtle points can and should be debated to and fro.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, fourtytwo42

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2021, 11:56:35 pm »

Stackexchange is useful for "which button do I use to floggle the widgeon in ObscureApp v1.3.2?" type questions. Or where a technician wants to copy and paste code into their application, without understanding it.

Stackexchange fails dismally where subtle points can and should be debated to and fro.

As a drive-by programmer, I've noticed you use stackex to get it working. You hang out in the prog sub forum here if you want to understand it.
iratus parum formica

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2021, 11:57:05 pm »

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, Trader

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2021, 11:57:34 pm »

Stack Exchange and Stack Overflow are incredibly toxic places in my opinion, I wouldn't participate there if you paid me. I hate those sites where popular topics bubble to the top and you end up with a handful of obsessive people who become powerful on the forum by spending SO much time posting. They are also incredibly dry and boring, there is no discussion, just answers to questions.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2021, 11:58:59 pm »
Dave's video's are entertaining but as soon as it gets complicated he either fudges the details or gets in wrong.

Care to cite specific examples? Because this hasn't been my experience at all.

Oh Trader, you made me laugh. Nothing you said there was correct, you couldn't even get Dave's name right.  :palm:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 12:01:17 am by Halcyon »

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, eti, Trader

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2021, 11:59:23 pm »

Probably the hardest I've laughed when reading this forum. 

Also I don't like watching Dave's videos on a cheap 30" TV.  Dave needs to supply good TVs for his viewers.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, AlienRelics

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2021, 12:03:12 am »
Dave's video's are entertaining but as soon as it gets complicated he either fudges the details or gets in wrong.

He's actually right on that some times. I often deliberately fudge the complicated details.
And I can almost guarantee there is an error in every one of my videos. Welcome to off the cuff video making.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, BillyD, AlienRelics, joeqsmith, eti

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2021, 12:05:19 am »

He's actually right on that some times. I often deliberately fudge the complicated details.
And I can almost guarantee there is an error in every one of my videos. Welcome to off the cuff video making.

Thank God for youtube comments section.
iratus parum formica

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2021, 12:05:39 am »

There's a difference between thinking on the fly (and occasionally getting things wrong) and deliberately falsifying or "making up" facts.

There is no one on this planet who can say they've never made a mistake. Intelligent people just admit it and learn from them.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2021, 12:06:04 am »

Mrs EEVblog is offended.

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, newbrain, eti

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2021, 12:07:44 am »

While it still exists...

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2021, 12:09:05 am »
I would not get those things from making advanced level theoretical videos. If you want that, MIT have their entire course available on their Youtube channel for free, I recommend you go watch them instead of my channel.

In my personal opinion, Youtubers are for ENTERTAINMENT only, think about ElectroBOOM, maybe the biggest in this topic.

The Signal Path, EEVblog, and others are good if you Already know electronics, but they are useless for teaching electronics, most of the time, are just curious entertainment of something that you will never use in your life.

Very few YouTubers are good to teach electronics: w2aew (advanced), GreatScott! (intermediate), learnelectronics / electronzapdotcom (beginner).

But, for me, the most effective way to learn electronics is through Books, maybe university videos; other resources, like this forum, are for very specific or practical issues.

edit: or for hacking something  :-DD
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 12:18:08 am by Trader »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2021, 12:13:41 am »

While it still exists...

All jokes aside, I'm still straddling the idea of leaving behind the comments when the bulk of y/t is being mirrored elsewhere. More annoying is the "I'll leave links in the description". I wish they would put it in the lower third.
iratus parum formica

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2021, 12:17:45 am »

In my personal opinion, Youtubers are for ENTERTAINMENT only, think about ElectroBOOM, maybe the biggest in this topic.

The Signal Path, EEVblog, and others are good if you Already know electronics, but they are useless for teaching electronics, most of the time, are just curious entertainment of something that you will never use in your life.

Very few YouTubers are good to teach electronics: w2aew (advanced), GreatScott! (intermediate), learnelectronics / electronzapdotcom (beginner).

But, for me, the most effective way to learn electronics is through Books, maybe university videos; other resources, like this forum, are for very specific or practical issues.
I do watch Youtube videos for things I don't know enough about like specific functions in CAD software and stuff like installing airconditioning, wood working, metal working, fixing stuff on a car, etc. Usually it results in learning something.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2021, 12:30:26 am »

While it still exists...

All jokes aside, I'm still straddling the idea of leaving behind the comments when the bulk of y/t is being mirrored elsewhere. More annoying is the "I'll leave links in the description". I wish they would put it in the lower third.

Good point, I'll try and do that for links that are easy to remember. A bit pointless for complex URL's though like a Youtube video URL.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2021, 12:42:10 am »

We are now narrowing down the things he's butt hurt about.
The magnetic shielding video and the LED video.

Just watched #1329 Magnetic Field Shielding DEMONSTRATED.   I didn't see the problem and you got a thumbs up. 

Using a split core for a sensor and my HP3589A as a source,  I can easily see the 25KHz spurs with no averaging.  Placing the core about 2" from the CRT and then inserting a 1oz CU board between them,  I measured about 30dB.   I must be missing something as I wouldn't have thought this was a big surprise.   

There are too many LED videos.  Based on their titles, nothing jumped out.   

Rather read credible books on engineering or study at an accredited university than reading the junk "advice" on this blog.
I have few books on the subject but I get a laugh every time  I open this one...

« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 01:37:16 am by joeqsmith »

Online BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2021, 01:03:40 am »

Actually I think EEVBlog has the lowest signal-to-noise ratio of any large internet forum I'm aware of.  I've gotten plenty of helpful advice here, and perhaps given a bit too.

Agreed, I don't think I've seen a more helpful, on topic, civilized, low noise forum than this one.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2021, 01:42:02 am »

The lowest signal-to-noise ratio?
I think you need to post a question for helpful advice on S/N ratio. LOL  :-DD
No malice intended BTW.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan, AlienRelics, Alex Eisenhut, Ian.M, james_s, Jacon

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2021, 01:57:18 am »

I both agree and disagree with you there. If I've downloaded the video with youtube-dl then, yes, it's incredibly frustrating if I want to actually get the link to have to go back and find it. On the other hand, you can't cut and paste links from the video so having it in the 'text bit' below is useful. The obvious answer is do both.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2021, 02:03:56 am »
Ah... the old Engineer vs Scientist debate.
I think I can sum up which is the better side to be on using the following scenario.

If you had to fill the earth with only Engineers or only Scientists which would be better?
I think we all know the answer and why.
Practically wins out over theory every time.
(Though I do agree that the male to female ratio would be much worse for Engineers vs Scientists. but that is only a short term issue.)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 02:09:08 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2021, 02:12:05 am »

No malice intended BTW.

I was waiting for some to say that, I didn't want to be THAT GUY  ;D

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2021, 02:14:13 am »
True, but it's not as simple as that.
Views are nice, but it's not about the money. Almost none of my videos make it worth the time to actually make them in the first place.
Ditto. I am pretty sure this is the same scenario for a bunch of bloggers. The folks that have successful channels assembled an entire operation around it - youtube being a promotion channel.

I think it's simply:

This is the running joke between me and my wife, whenever I am typing on the internet.

Indeed. Stackexchange and stackoverflow are poor examples to compare with what is done here.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 03:09:25 am by rsjsouza »

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2021, 02:15:51 am »

I think it's simply:

Yes Dave, spot on! Perish the thought that a total stranger whom one has never met, doesn't like one's views, and we feel compelled to call them out on it  :palm: - I value your work and effort hugely mate, please don't let the vocal 0.001% drown out the others who love your work.

A single bean I could not care about whether someone feels I am right or wrong - there's no crime in thinking - I just leave em to it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 02:21:40 am by eti »

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2021, 02:19:09 am »
If you had to fill the earth with only Engineers or only Scientists which would be better?
<snip>
(Though I do agree that the male to female ratio would be much worse for Engineers vs Scientists. but that is only a short term issue.)
Short term issue? I dunno about that.
https://dilbert.com/strip/1994-01-09

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2021, 02:19:47 am »

Really? Ridiculous?

There are many many repair threads that have been posted over the years (of which I've contributed quite a few). Some of the information and advice is very valuable to others trying to fix the same test equipment. I've gone back and looked at some of my test equipment repair/restoration threads and the number of picture views since I last posted in the thread really amaze me. Someone out there is looking at the information on this forum and hopefully is using it to their advantage.

Also some of the information as to how to restore and fix older equipment is very hard to find anywhere else.

So I don't know what bug got up your arse but I don't think you have a clue as to what this forum is really all about.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, 3db, Jacon, fourtytwo42

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2021, 02:20:07 am »
A couple of sayings of mine in quotes...

1. EEVBLOG is not a waste of time at all.
      Reminds me of... "You don't like what is on TV? Change the channel and stop whinging."

2. EEVBLOG caters to WIDE range of interest in electronics where everyone learns something (except maybe you).
       Reminds me of... "If you learn more and more about less and less, eventually you will know everything about nothing."

3. EEVBLOG is created by someone who is passionate about electronics.
       Reminds me of.... "One volunteer is worth ten conscripts."

To most us us, EEVBLOG is a winner, winner, chicken dinner :-+.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2021, 02:36:29 am »
...The "advice" dispensed by the members of this blog is useless. Rather read credible books on engineering or study at an accredited university than reading the junk "advice" on this blog...

The EEVBLOG is not a book and I am sure Dave never intended it to be. I recently did some programming for BLE to do message handling. I started with a terrific book which I downloaded for free from author's website. So the author could receive due credit, I just bought the hard copy book https://www.amazon.com/Intro-Bluetooth-Low-Energy-Easiest/dp/1790198151. It was worth every cent because I could not be bothered nor had the time to read the entire BLE spec from Bluetooth.org; and it gave me enough understanding to the point where I could develop code to could transfer messages between an ESP32 and a Raspberry PI.

So "rather read credible books", could be "in addition to EEVBLOG's resources, read credible books". Also consider other users' experiences or what is in the EEVBLOG videos, won't necessarily be found in any book or university course.

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2021, 02:41:10 am »
Just for "thinking outside the box"...

Dave's channel has 824k subscribers, average 41k views per day.

ElectroBOOM has 4.81M subs, average 250k views per day.

There are 100+ channels about electronics with 100k+ subs, I guess at least 1M people are interested in this topic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskElectronics/ = 335k
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronics/ = 250k
https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricalEngineering/ = 150k
https://www.electronicspoint.com/forums/ = 54K
EEVblog = 51k

Maybe the OP has something to be considered, not only the (biased) eevblog members.

ops, sorry, I forgot how EE people use to be.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2021, 02:43:45 am »

Agreed, I don't think I've seen a more helpful, on topic, civilized, low noise forum than this one.

Wouldn't that be a *high* signal to noise ratio? Or is my brain just broken today?

*Edit: Just realized I'd skipped a page and someone already pointed this out.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 02:46:30 am by james_s »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2021, 02:45:35 am »
Really? Ridiculous?

There are many many repair threads that have been posted over the years (of which I've contributed quite a few). Some of the information and advice is very valuable to others trying to fix the same test equipment. I've gone back and looked at some of my test equipment repair/restoration threads and the number of picture views since I last posted in the thread really amaze me. Someone out there is looking at the information on this forum and hopefully is using it to their advantage.

Also some of the information as to how to restore and fix older equipment is very hard to find anywhere else.

I've certainly found it useful. More than once I've posted a thread like "Hey what is this part" after coming up empty in my search, and gotten a reply within 5 minutes pointing me to exactly what I needed.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2021, 02:46:42 am »
With all respect to Electroboom, I find the whole “BANG! Ouch!” thing rather tedious and obvious. He’s a nice chappy, but I’m surprised Dave hasn’t soared into subs figures that high yet; to me this speaks of a generation which value being entertained more than being educated. No offence is intended to E/boom, he’s a great and knowledgeable engineer, and he’s playing to his crowd, it just ain’t my scene is all.

The following users thanked this post: BillyD, AlienRelics, Brumby, Cubdriver, james_s, Jacon, Trader

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2021, 02:50:14 am »
I never liked Electroboom either. Nothing against the guy on a personal level but in his videos he acts like an idiot, even if it is just an act. It just doesn't resonate with me at all.

The following users thanked this post: BillyD, Bud, Cubdriver

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2021, 02:53:44 am »
I never liked Electroboom either. Nothing against the guy on a personal level but in his videos he acts like an idiot, even if it is just an act. It just doesn't resonate with me at all.

It’s a comedy act but seems to lack in new laugh gags. He’s a nice chap, I don’t dislike him, it’s a style that the masses flock to.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2021, 02:54:21 am »
Wouldn't that be a *high* signal to noise ratio? Or is my brain just broken today?

*Edit: Just realized I'd skipped a page and someone already pointed this out.

No, it's not you. As soon as the word "ratio" enters a conversation someone will get it back arsewards and before you know what's happened nobody is making sense. e.g. If I put the car into a 'high' gear it uses a 'low' ratio; discuss car gearing with someone for ten minutes and 'high' and 'low' get conflated and everything goes to pot.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2021, 04:01:15 am »

I did the same thing and I found most of the OP's replies to be right on point and well thought out.

The LED thing won't go away, I fear.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2021, 04:14:35 am »
It’s a comedy act but seems to lack in new laugh gags. He’s a nice chap, I don’t dislike him, it’s a style that the masses flock to.

If you want to see Electroboom outside of his natural habitat:

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, thm_w, AlienRelics, james_s

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2021, 04:24:40 am »
With all respect to Electroboom, I find the whole “BANG! Ouch!” thing rather tedious and obvious. He’s a nice chappy, but I’m surprised Dave hasn’t soared into subs figures that high yet

The reason is the focussed nature of the content, or lack of focus in my case.
Electroboom and other channels like Great Scott for example have highly polished scripted content, and, more importantly, they give you the same thing every time to watch one of their videos.
If it's Great Scott you know you are going to get a high polished build video that took him a week to build and script and film, and the dialog style and explainations will be the same with the hand drawings with the voice overlay etc in a 7-10 min format. It's a very consistent content formula, and viewers generally like that.
This means those channels will always get a much higher subscriber to view ratio than mine.

I built my channel on a hugely eclectic mix of content and styles. I have literally dozens of different types of videos I do, of varying length and styles, almost certainly unmatched in diversity to any other channel.
This mean that only a small fraction of my audience will watch every video. Some videos will do well and have mass appeal, and others will not.
And because my videos are way longer, they tend to not get shared with Joe Average, so I get stuck in the world of my existing subscribers and those who find me through search.

I've never scripted a video, and most take less than a day to think up, shoot, edit and upload. Spit and polish be damned.
My style of lengthy tangent based off the cuff video style will never appeal to the mass audience.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 04:32:37 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, AlienRelics

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2021, 04:29:45 am »
Just for "thinking outside the box"...

Dave's channel has 824k subscribers, average 41k views per day.

ElectroBOOM has 4.81M subs, average 250k views per day.

There are 100+ channels about electronics with 100k+ subs, I guess at least 1M people are interested in this topic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskElectronics/ = 335k
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronics/ = 250k
https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricalEngineering/ = 150k
https://www.electronicspoint.com/forums/ = 54K
EEVblog = 51k

Maybe the OP has something to be considered, not only the (biased) eevblog members.

ops, sorry, I forgot how EE people use to be.

I'm not sure I get what your actual point is here?  :-//

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, fourtytwo42, Trader

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2021, 04:30:33 am »
I've certainly found it useful. More than once I've posted a thread like "Hey what is this part" after coming up empty in my search, and gotten a reply within 5 minutes pointing me to exactly what I needed.

Same here, countless times. Almost always without fail, someone here knows the answer or can point you in the right direction  :-+

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Jacon, fourtytwo42

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2021, 04:39:47 am »
With all respect to Electroboom, I find the whole “BANG! Ouch!” thing rather tedious and obvious. He’s a nice chappy, but I’m surprised Dave hasn’t soared into subs figures that high yet

The reason is the focussed nature of the content, or lack of focus in my case.
Electroboom and other channels like Great Scott for example have highly polished scripted content, and, more importantly, they give you the same thing every time to watch one of their videos.
If it's Great Scott you know you are going to get a high polished build video that took him a week to build and script and film, and the dialog style and explainations will be the same with the hand drawings with the voice overlay etc in a 7-10 min format. It's a very consistent content formula, and viewers generally like that.
This means those channels will always get a much higher subscriber to view ratio than mine.

I built my channel on a hugely eclectic mix of content and styles. I have literally dozens of different types of videos I do, of varying length and styles, almost certainly unmatched in diversity to any other channel.
This mean that only a small fraction of my audience will watch every video. Some videos will do well and have mass appeal, and others will not.
And because my videos are way longer, they tend to not get shared with Joe Average, so I get stuck in the world of my existing subscribers and those who find me through search.

I've never scripted a video, and most take less than a day to think up, shoot, edit and upload. Spit and polish be damned.
My style of lengthy tangent based off the cuff video style will never appeal to the mass audience.

I gravitate toward people who don’t put on a “persona”; I just want to see the real person, and I wouldn’t care if your videos were four or more hours long mate - you know your stuff, and even if you don’t, you’re still extremely interesting and funny -  and at least you slip up - people who never slip up are often afraid of being genuine. I like the “unpolished” editing - people who over-edit are often hiding things, and I can’t trust that.

I like Big Clive for the same reason - he’s not interested in being flashy, he’s interested in showing you the thing, and that’s ALL. I love how he only uses a phone - that’s all he needs.

Far too much trash wrapped in flashy, slick wrappers from people who don’t have half the knowledge they proclaim to, on YouTube. I’d watch you even if you were at 360p and back in your garage, dear Dave, because you’re the reason I watch you, not the pixels. ♥️👋

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, AlienRelics

Offline mag_therm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2021, 04:51:43 am »
I added a reply to dtmouton's post on EEVBlog #1329

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2021, 05:06:36 am »
I'm not sure I get what your actual point is here?  :-//

"nobody owns the truth", there are so many people out of this place that, maybe, the OP has some point to be considered, but whatever...

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2021, 05:19:52 am »
"nobody owns the truth", there are so many people out of this place that, maybe, the OP has some point to be considered, but whatever...

Nobody is stopping him from making his point, but he didn't seem to do so in the actual original post.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2021, 06:42:33 am »
My answer is no.

I think you are right that Dave’s videos are entertaining but your comment that ‘The "advice" dispensed by the members of this blog is useless’ is more than a tad harsh; it’s a dramatic overstatement that is just plain incorrect.  As to the level of complexity addressed in Dave’s videos and on this site overall Dave’s own replies to your post state that EEVblog is geared toward providing introductory and intermediate and occasionally advanced information - but he isn’t trying to be a substitute for a text book or a university class.  So if you expect extensively deep, complicated, advanced material maybe your expectations are disappointing you.

Beyond his teaching / explaining Dave also presents model reviews and comparisons for popular commercial equipment - which you probably won’t find in most academic settings.

More/most importantly, both Dave’s educational and equipment info - as entertaining and useful as they truly are, are only components of a larger system.  This larger system is not limited by or even substantially dependent on just Dave.  Dave has built something much larger than himself - he has built and developed a platform for a worldwide community of people who share interests and knowledge across many aspects of analog and digital electronics. 

Electroboom et al are also entertaining and educational sites but they are largely one way outbound star network broadcasts.  In contrast, the EEVblog forum structure - which Dave has organized, evolved, and grown in a thoughtfully managed manner over the years provides excellent opportunities for people at beginning, intermediate, and sometimes advanced levels to exchange information across various categories as learners and teachers.  The exchange of information occurs in a way that generally brings understandings and some joy to the learners, and also some joy to the teachers.  And occasionally the learners advance to become teachers just as occasionally the teachers use the forums as learners to gain further knowledge.  In contrast look at the Electoboom model - as fun and interesting as it is, it’s hard to see the community of learners and teachers sharing much more than comments on an episode.  Questions posted by viewers generally get few or sometimes no replies, much less in depth replies as the Q&A is quickly truncated.  It is a star network with a central transmit node and many remote receive nodes vs the EEVblog model which is is much more of a mesh network with full transmit receive interactivity.  It’s kind of like saying a TV program has millions of viewers so there must be a lot useful education occurring vs a college class with hundreds of students.  The number of nodes and the interactive functionality are substantially different between the two models, and so is the opportunity for teaching and learning.  Apples and oranges.

IMO the key to getting value from EEVblog, beside setting reasonable expectations, is a user’s/member’s ability to exchange value.  If you are looking for a site where you and all the other users strictly or substantially extract value it’s unlikely that such a model can scale, especially for free.  On the other hand if you contribute value at somewhere near or beyond the level you extract value it’s possible the model can sustain and grow.  As to the quality of the Q&A, that is dependent on the participants’ experience, knowledge, skill, and intentions.  So you might ask how much of each of those attributes you have contributed vs what you extracted.  Clearly, there are people here who are in receive-only mode but there are also many people who contribute much more than what they extract in terms of pure content value. 

As Dave pointed out for himself, he gets a lot of satisfaction in teaching and I think that is true of many of the most admired contributors in the forums.  As you probably know from your own experience a teacher’s knowledge of the content is a key to successful teaching, as is the ability to stimulate a passion for learning and an ability to learn on the part of the students.  And in a great class the students become colleagues helping each other learn and advance in their pursuits.

Personally, I have found EEVblog to be a very educational, enjoyable, and valuable site but YMMV. 

In any event, if you aren’t enjoying either being a learner or a teacher here then the value you are deriving isn’t likely to be meaningful and your time and energy can perhaps be better spent elsewhere.  If you find some other sites that provide better opportunities for receiving and/or providing electronics related information and education please make a post in this thread or in a new thread about your findings.  In the meantime, stick around, maybe adjust a few expectations a tad, and focus on teaching in parallel with learning and enjoy the community building as well as the content exchange.  Filter or ignore noise that is distracting and focus on transmitting and receiving good signals.  If you see some signals with packet errors and you feel strongly about them apply some constructive error correction after your detection.  Or maybe just apply some extra selectivity as you scan the bands/forums to engage in the subjects you are most passionate about.  Not everything here is worth reading much less engaging just like not everything on TV is worth watching.  But unlike TV and many web sites you can have a TDMA slot to burst into whenever you want.   :-+
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 02:34:12 am by Electro Fan »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, MrMobodies

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2021, 07:07:09 am »
I'm here all week, and the week after that, and the week after that........

You need to be here to do an Invasive and Repetitive Advertising of your store in 16153+ (counting) posts.

Says the guy that just rocked up. I believe I was withing the first few hundred to join the forum, that is how I managed to get my first name alone as my username, that had never been possible before. that was back in about 2019 when you may have been in nappies, so that is 12 years. All of this is publicly available as is my average post rate which is 3.6/day, these days most of these in my earlier days and these days they are post to deal with people like you. You are making 0.4 posts/day and they are of no value so go figure.

Anything else that got stuck in your butt? Most forums would have just banned you by now, but this is fun.

The following users thanked this post: fourtytwo42

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2021, 07:10:01 am »

No malice intended BTW.

He could try other forums like the one where a moderator will give life threatening advice with absolute certainty. I left at that point as fortunately I knew he was very wrong and was looking for more advanced information on the topic and not willing to be on a forum where well known safety information was being blatantly ignored.

The following users thanked this post: fourtytwo42

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2021, 07:22:20 am »
I believe I was withing the first few hundred to join the forum, that is how I managed to get my first name alone as my username, that had never been possible before. that was back in about 2019 when you may have been in nappies, so that is 12 years. All of this is publicly available as is my average post rate which is 3.6/day, these days most of these in my earlier days and these days they are post to deal with people like you. You are making 0.4 posts/day and they are of no value so go figure.

Wow, now you have something important to put in your résumé.  :-DD

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2021, 07:25:17 am »
Is EEVBlog worth it
Yes. Neeeeext!
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline brabus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2021, 08:58:02 am »
The OP must have had a gigantic misunderstanding: this place is not a school, nor an university, nor a training of any kind. This is a place made of people (including Dave), making people things, including mistakes. Intelligenti pauca.

Sheesh.

The following users thanked this post: BillyD, AlienRelics, m98, eti

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2021, 09:18:45 am »
I believe I was withing the first few hundred to join the forum, that is how I managed to get my first name alone as my username, that had never been possible before. that was back in about 2019 when you may have been in nappies, so that is 12 years. All of this is publicly available as is my average post rate which is 3.6/day, these days most of these in my earlier days and these days they are post to deal with people like you. You are making 0.4 posts/day and they are of no value so go figure.

Wow, now you have something important to put in your résumé.  :-DD

actually a bit more than that.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2021, 09:58:32 am »
My answer is no.

The "advice" dispensed by the members of this blog is useless. Rather read credible books on engineering or study t an accredited university than reading the junk "advice" on this blog.

Will you allow a "doctor" without the proper credentials to operate on your brain? If you would, then happily continuae reading this blog and watch Dave's videos.

I kind of take offense by that statement.

I have learn't a lot from Dave Jones over the years, from nothing to something. Whatever I couldn't understand at first I spent time trying to find out about it in order to expand my knowledge. It is not an ideal world for some as I don't access to the equipment that he has, no one to show me stuff or to afford it plus he shows you how to use it and how things work backed up by datasheets, that is what I find inspires confidence.

I remember he said many years ago in some video that his audiences were complaining about too little detail or too much so you can't please everybody.

Over the years I have found this forum very helpful into helping people do all sorts of stuff.

I don't believe anything in that statement not after the numerous teardowns over the years and showing us how thing work and repairing stuff and his connections and interviews.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 10:04:17 am by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, BillyD, AlienRelics

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2021, 03:25:53 pm »

Don't be snobby about Technicians.
I'm a Tech, & I find Stackexchange pretty inadequate.

The "rating" & placing answers "in order of relevance", mostly reveals the lack of knowledge of the question subject matter on the part of the moderator doing what is basically censorship.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2021, 04:23:00 pm »

Oh, I'm not snobby about technicians! I was intending to be snarky about the "technicians" that merely copy-paste code but call themselves "software engineers" or "programmers". I probably didn't make that clear enough.

Both technicians and engineers are vital, but they perform different functions - just like doctors and nurses. If I want a disease diagnosed and treatment prescribed, I need a doctor. OTOH if I want a needle inserted or leg plastered, I need a nurse. Vive la difference!

The "rating" & placing answers "in order of relevance", mostly reveals the lack of knowledge of the question subject matter on the part of the moderator doing what is basically censorship.

I've never stayed there longer than to copy-paste a solution :) That means I haven't noticed censorship. The poor quality of the questions and answers is apparent.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2021, 05:05:25 pm »
I learned Field Theory from Haus and Melcher.

There is nothing that those two individuals say about how to blink an LED on the Arduino. Therefore, your knowledge is worthless.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Mazo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2021, 05:38:31 pm »
Started watching the youtube channel when I was 15-16,after just a few videos I binge watched all the videos,that Dave had uploaded,and anxiously waited for new ones.I HAVE a very clear memory how I learned how an opamp "works" from Dave's Video Op-amp Basics(or whatever it is called) and because I got really interested in electronics design,bought and read alot of books and watched a lot of other videos ofcourse,while reading the forum everyday without actually searching for something,just reading and learning from the old farts.

Long story short 8years later I still read the forum everyday,sadly I rarely watch the videos anymore(sorry Dave  :-\ )
The result:Finished university as an EE,it is my hobby and profession(almost 4years of experience),and I already have a lot of projects behind my back,and I can confidently say that the difference in technical knowledge between me and almost every collegue,who hasn't/doesn't spend that much time and energy in reading and watching videos on electronic's topics is obvious.

Is EEVBlog(the videos part,not the forum) worth it for me now?Probably not really,as I barely watch 1-2 videos per year.
Was it worth it for my personal development-immensely.
The forum is still the best electronics "pub",I have found on the 'net,so nothing to discuss here.

Pretty sob and cliche story,just wanted to share,so people here can see that while they are just chatting,there might be doing what formal education isn't.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, SeanB, AlienRelics, eti

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2021, 05:46:59 pm »
daves videos like bypass capacitor video tutorials are great. but current source/mirror circuit missing proof/measurement like bandwidth/spectrum and impedance is a bit disappointing especially seeing fantastic equipment some vblogers acquired.
it is easier to imagine how circuits would behave in real world.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2021, 06:25:29 pm »

There is nothing that those two individuals say about how to blink an LED on the Arduino. Therefore, your knowledge is worthless.

You're joking, right?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2021, 06:33:02 pm »

IMHO technicians are broadly under-appreciated and under-paid. A good tech requires much of the same skillset as a good engineer, with an additional set of skills on top of that. I think in many cases technician should be a class of engineer.

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, N0NB

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2021, 06:50:49 pm »

You're joking, right?

That was to show that OP's question did not make sense in the first place.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2021, 07:53:28 pm »

IMHO technicians are broadly under-appreciated and under-paid. A good tech requires much of the same skillset as a good engineer, with an additional set of skills on top of that. I think in many cases technician should be a class of engineer.

Engineers are underpaid too.

Engineers have an addition set of skills that technicians don't - or rather most don't need.

The analogy "engineer:technician is as doctor:nurse" isn't a bad analogy. There is overlap, but also a lot of difference.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2021, 07:58:50 pm »
bottom line is that the sales people get paid more as apparently they make the money. If they are that good at smoozing the customer and telling white lies that we engineers can just deliver maybe we should present them with an empty box to sell as a challenge :)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2021, 09:54:08 pm »
Engineers are underpaid too.

Engineers have an addition set of skills that technicians don't - or rather most don't need.

The analogy "engineer:technician is as doctor:nurse" isn't a bad analogy. There is overlap, but also a lot of difference.

I don't feel like I'm underpaid. Engineers, especially software engineers make very good money around here. At one of the major tech companies a competent mid level software engineer is typically earning well into six figures with good benefits.

Technicians seem to earn about 1/2 or less what a hardware engineer would make.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 09:55:45 pm by james_s »

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2021, 10:06:07 pm »
bottom line is that the sales people get paid more as apparently they make the money.

Sales people are also generally the people in the higher executive ranks at many companies, especially older Fortune 500 companies, and they tend to look after their own.

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2021, 10:37:29 pm »
Jeff Bezos seems to be some sort of engineer but average joe with whatever engineer degree will never come close to him
5minute crafts bul*(10m/y) vs eevblog(10k/y)

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2021, 11:06:59 pm »
Started watching the youtube channel when I was 15-16,after just a few videos I binge watched all the videos,that Dave had uploaded,and anxiously waited for new ones.I HAVE a very clear memory how I learned how an opamp "works" from Dave's Video Op-amp Basics(or whatever it is called) and because I got really interested in electronics design,bought and read alot of books and watched a lot of other videos ofcourse,while reading the forum everyday without actually searching for something,just reading and learning from the old farts.

Long story short 8years later I still read the forum everyday,sadly I rarely watch the videos anymore(sorry Dave  :-\ )
The result:Finished university as an EE,it is my hobby and profession(almost 4years of experience),and I already have a lot of projects behind my back,and I can confidently say that the difference in technical knowledge between me and almost every collegue,who hasn't/doesn't spend that much time and energy in reading and watching videos on electronic's topics is obvious.

Is EEVBlog(the videos part,not the forum) worth it for me now?Probably not really,as I barely watch 1-2 videos per year.
The forum is still the best electronics "pub",I have found on the 'net,so nothing to discuss here.

Pretty sob and cliche story,just wanted to share,so people here can see that while they are just chatting,there might be doing what formal education isn't.

That is a great story:  from EEVblog to EE.  Not sure what could be a better endorsement, and Congrats on all the excellent progress.  :-+ :-+
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 11:34:26 am by Electro Fan »

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, Mazo

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2021, 11:41:28 pm »
Those who feel underpaid as engineers are free to change careers.  I agree that managers and good salespeople generally make quite a bit more than engineers.  But after trying a bit of both I decided that my own happiness had much greater value than the pay differential.  Which is also why I didn't go the entrepreneur route where you get to perform all three jobs and several others besides.  Once you have enough to eat and stay warm and dry money becomes much less important.

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, newbrain, james_s

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2021, 01:01:39 am »
Just so. Clearly a man after my own heart :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2021, 03:25:43 am »

That is a great story:  from EEVblog to EE.  Not sure what could be a better endorsement, and Congrats on all the excellent progress.  :-+ :-+

You'd be surprised how many times I've heard this same story. It's the thing that makes me the happiest  :-+

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, BillyD, thm_w, AlienRelics, cgroen, PartialDischarge, Jacon, Nominal Animal, Mazo, MrMobodies, RJSV

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2021, 03:48:28 am »
Dave, we love you mate. It brings joy to my heart to know that you’ve been able to help so many people with your passion, and you certainly have a natural gifting and passion for electronics in spades and spades.

I’ve now been watching you for so many years that I’m able to feel sentimental about the passage of time since I watched the first video I saw of yours, where you took apart a Kindle keyboard. Fantastic. You’re a one off and we wouldn’t have you any other way.

Feel encouraged by those of us who love your funny jokes and catchphrases, your lighthearted spirit and your signature voice (don’t let people insult you because of that - it means you’re memorable and a one off, a gift to humanity, and exceptionally memorable - and a kind funny man). I see how you are with your children - a kind, patient Daddy to them and clearly very patient and encouraging in your helping them to discover the same passion you’ve had since a child, yourself - and now I’m sure you are astute enough to see that this same passion you share with your own flesh and blood, blesses all the children who get equally excited in learning from your videos.

😃 God bless you Dave old pal. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 03:53:45 am by eti »

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, RJSV

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2021, 03:58:04 am »
First post:
Wonderful blog.

Just noticed he changed his tune.

At first with the alternative video platforms tht Dave was encouraging us to explore I didn't think much about it but explored them a little and then forgot about them. Now they coming in very handy with what has happened with Youtube. Thank you very much for introducing us to something that I find is looking so much better.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 04:04:49 am by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, AlienRelics

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2021, 05:05:27 am »

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2021, 06:04:25 am »
A couple of weeks go I saw a video with Curiousmarc and his friend trying to trace a fault with an IBM PS/2 motherboard and that they ended up swapping a controller of a faulty donor sent from some generous collector IBMMuseum as well as a working one.

I think it was in part 4 of this repair that his friend altered the bios to play a tune depending on where it got stuck.

JOKE: Apparently when he put the "magic finger" on the culprit it changed it's tune and started to work.

In his last video a couple of days ago now it turned out to be a cracked veer under it.

I vaguely remember Dave Jones explaining all sorts of things about veers (holes in pcb) and the different types in a video demonstrated with some cad software, how they can run out of space, cost of including more layers and what can go wrong with them and at the factory when they may keep the production waiting if there isn't enough of a certain colour where it could cost them more.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 06:15:38 am by MrMobodies »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2021, 07:06:08 am »
Those who feel underpaid as engineers are free to change careers.  I agree that managers and good salespeople generally make quite a bit more than engineers.  But after trying a bit of both I decided that my own happiness had much greater value than the pay differential.  Which is also why I didn't go the entrepreneur route where you get to perform all three jobs and several others besides.  Once you have enough to eat and stay warm and dry money becomes much less important.

I value being happy in my job more than the pay once I have a roof over my head and a decent standard of living which I think I have now but that was after changing job. Just upping and moving is not as easy as that. My last job was awful and I seriously looked and everything including warehouse work just to get out of that hell hole. Luckily my present job came along just after a crisis at my last job, similar role but totally different attitude. I did not even end up with more money after the extra travelling was paid for but that's fine, I traded not getting a real rise for being able to sleep at night.

And yes being your own boss is not all it's cracked up to be either......

Offline brabus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2021, 07:32:37 am »
First post:
Wonderful blog.

(...)

That leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, actually.

Growing up made me realize that there are no "adults", just grown up kids.
This is one of the major disappointments one can meet: expecting to deal with serious, intelligent individuals, and ending up playing peek-a-boo instead of having a constructive discussion.

Well, at least this topic provided some interesting personal stories and life experiences worth reading.

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, MrMobodies

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2021, 07:42:45 am »

Having been there, yes.
Although of course I'm still there, but this Youtube gig is kinda different...

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2021, 09:14:32 am »
A couple of weeks go I saw a video with Curiousmarc and his friend trying to trace a fault with an IBM PS/2 motherboard and that they ended up swapping a controller of a faulty donor sent from some generous collector IBMMuseum as well as a working one.

I think it was in part 4 of this repair that his friend altered the bios to play a tune depending on where it got stuck.

JOKE: Apparently when he put the "magic finger" on the culprit it changed it's tune and started to work.

In his last video a couple of days ago now it turned out to be a cracked veer under it.

I vaguely remember Dave Jones explaining all sorts of things about veers (holes in pcb) and the different types in a video demonstrated with some cad software, how they can run out of space, cost of including more layers and what can go wrong with them and at the factory when they may keep the production waiting if there isn't enough of a certain colour where it could cost them more.

Yeah, learning from videos.  Things like vias can be heard in auch a way that written information is hard to track down.  Inverse of the problem of learning words from books and mispronouncing them.

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, MrMobodies

• Contributor
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2021, 09:56:40 am »

Your arguments in this thread lack specificity and, taken together, suggest to me that you are simply pissed off more than anything else. That is, you are angry...about something specific that has happened (even if it is was the "last straw"), but you are not going to go into that, at least not at first, but clearly you want to litigate your issues online.

In fact, while I did not see much in the way of you asking for help, you have dispensed help - that you now condemn ("The "advice" dispensed by the members of this blog is useless."), yet, you have not just said your peace and left. Instead, you very much want to engage on the issues as evidenced by your additional posting in the thread.

It is, in some ways, unfortunate as your posting demonstrates that you teach. It also demonstrates, to me, a level of bureaucratic experience that may be taking its toll (you are still pissed enough to mention that your employer "forced you to do that") so many years ago. Taking its toll because your behavior suggests that you no longer appreciate the concept of near-peer mentorship (it is not just age-based) at any level through any media.

Even in your short posting history you are seeking acknowledgement for both your stature and your "solutions" - see the beginners thread in which you were, oh so critical, about what 'level' of answer should be given to a high school student vs a university student and so on - but nothing in the way of "agree to disagree" after making a point (and you most definitely did make a point, but it is not what I will remember about you and that memory will fade in a few days, if not a few hours). You don't seem capable of "agree to disagree" after making a point. You seem too pig-headed to see that such an issue is up for debate, that such an issue is not new and that educators in all fields deal with that kind of issue. In this regard, you have demonstrated a starkly disappointing insufficiency for self-evaluation.

I don't need to defend anyone here, but hear this well, this Dave guy has pissed me off a couple of times (never about EE matters) and I spoke my peace...and I did not back down...and then I continued...hopefully to make some helpful contributions to others seeking help and also to seek help myself.

Plenty of what is written will piss me off, especially when it is my area and is so terribly misinformed. That is how you feel now. When it is too much, I simply block those people so I don't see their rabble and don't ever respond to their rabble.

One piece of "food for thought" (and I suspect this will piss you off further) that I will give you is to ask yourself whether you should seek therapy on a public internet forum. Just as you yearn for everybody to go to the standard educational sources exclusively for EE information, and medical doctors for brain surgery, why not apply that to your anger?

So, I ask rhetorically (in this case. that means that I don't care much about your response and we both know that you desperately want to respond) - what is it you are after? I believe that what you seek is validation and you are likely not going to get what you seek here and now. Don't you get that?

Fortunately the problem is not as serious as you describe. It was just a simple case of intoxication. The next day, while having an enormous hangover, I saw what I did and changed my post to what I really think.

Moderator edit: incorrect quotation cleaned up.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 05:33:28 pm by Simon »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2021, 10:04:24 am »
First post:
Wonderful blog.

:-DD

One of the bad things about usenet groups (e.g. comp.electronics.design) is that amongst the high quality threads you get idiots that are trolls or worse.

One of the good things about usenet readers is that they include an "ignore author and sub-thread replies to the author". That neatly eliminates idiotic discussions while leaving the good sub-threads intact.

Shame that kind of thing is impossible in a web forum. There are half a dozen people that I'd apply that to here.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2021, 11:41:23 am »

Fortunately the problem is not as serious as you describe. It was just a simple case of intoxication. The next day, while having an enormous hangover, I saw what I did and changed my post to what I really think.

?
iratus parum formica

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2021, 12:06:16 pm »
dtmouton: Dude, chill.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2021, 01:31:16 pm »

I did take the time to go through your posting history to some extent and it seems ...

:wtf:

?

How can anyone post a mess like that and be taken seriously?

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, AlienRelics, Cubdriver

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2021, 02:09:07 pm »
It's just multiple fails at quoting. The huge block that looks like his actually came from a previous poster in this thread. The only bit he did write was the line that said he was drunk at the time, which got hidden in someone else's quote.

The following users thanked this post: DrG

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2021, 02:20:33 pm »
This topic is just another troll post

Nobody here is going to do all the work for you, people decide to help when they decide they want to do it. They don't have that obligation.

Regarding learning, there is always something new to learn from other users posts, no one knows everything. Searching and reading top words!

and I hate Dave Jones videos for being so long  :-DD :-DD  so I fast forward like 2x the speed when I'm looking for something more specific :-DD :-DD a 30min video become a 15 min one  >:D and it's nice watching Dave teaching/reviewing/teardown stuff at high speed rate  :-DD :-DD teach us to be more dynamic   :box:

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, AlienRelics

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2021, 03:08:29 pm »
From this:
My answer is no.

To this: (modifying his/hers own post)
Wonderful blog.

To quoting the entire DrG's post.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/is-eevblog-worth-it/msg3818753/#msg3818753

And ending with this pearl:

Well, I suppose this is an epic Rick Roll into a troll's world. Or a bad trip.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, DrG

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2021, 05:20:37 pm »
Copied the wrong "quote from" below (rsjsouza) by mistake but amended.

Yeah, learning from videos.  Things like vias can be heard in auch a way that written information is hard to track down.  Inverse of the problem of learning words from books and mispronouncing them.

Oops think I remember it and spelt it wrong

Well, I suppose this is an epic Rick Roll into a troll's world. Or a bad trip.  :-DD

Joke: Well next time alcohol causes him to malfunction just get out the magic finger and ask how many am I holding up.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 08:24:08 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2021, 05:54:36 pm »
Growing up made me realize that there are no "adults", just grown up kids.
This is one of the major disappointments one can meet: expecting to deal with serious, intelligent individuals, and ending up playing peek-a-boo instead of having a constructive discussion.

Although I am not a fan of psychological theories in general (psychoanalysts and psychologists as a whole [I exclude the type of psychologists who do hard science] are about as well acquainted with proper scientific method as a wet rag sitting in a puddle) you might get some insight and/or entertainment looking at Eric Berne's work on Transactional Analysis which often analyses interactions between people as ostensibly adult, but actually childish or child-like (e.g. "Would you like to see my etchings/come in for a cup of coffee?" <-> "Let's play!").

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2021, 06:03:47 pm »

It's really odd for me to post something about psychology at all, let alone two posts in a row, but have you heard of the psychological concept of "projection"? Because this sounds a hell of a lot like you're taking about yourself, not whoever it is you're directing your remarks to.

(We can't actually tell who you're directing your remarks at because you don't seem to have quite grasped how to use an online forum like this one. That you expect us to magically decode who out of the many people in this discussion you're addressing at any particular moment implies an unhealthy dollop of solecism.)

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, james_s

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2021, 06:04:49 pm »
I wasn't expecting this thread to even get beyond 1 page. The fact the OP may or may not have a few valid points here and there is irrelevant since they make a complete generalization, immediately making their rant typical trolling. Just quickly looking at the few posts they have written shows that a good number of them were about confronting Dave on this stupid diode circuit exercise. And the OP waving their alleged engineering degree while questioning Dave's and pretty much anyone else's on here just makes them look like an angry kid with zero humility.

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, fourtytwo42

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2021, 06:23:12 pm »

Oops think I remember it and spelt it wrong
That is not my quote, but CatalinaWOW's:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/is-eevblog-worth-it/msg3822518/#msg3822518

It's really odd for me to post something about psychology at all, let alone two posts in a row, but have you heard of the psychological concept of "projection"? Because this sounds a hell of a lot like you're taking about yourself, not whoever it is you're directing your remarks to.

(We can't actually tell who you're directing your remarks at because you don't seem to have quite grasped how to use an online forum like this one. That you expect us to magically decode who out of the many people in this discussion you're addressing at any particular moment implies an unhealthy dollop of solecism.)
Cerebus, as I mentioned above this is DrG's post, not his. His only contribution is the last paragraph. 

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline george.b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2021, 06:26:58 pm »
Alcohol is one hell of a drug, I guess...? :-//

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2021, 06:28:21 pm »
Maybe we should have just said "No, it's not worth it, in fact it's a complete rip-off. If you want to be smart you could find somewhere else to socialize." right at the start and be done wit it.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Simon, AlienRelics

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2021, 06:36:07 pm »
Declare $Engineering_degree="GOD of Knowledge";

If $Engineering_degree > "dumb people on forum"

Print "I'm the best in the world, nobody beat me!";

elseif

$Engineering_degree < "dumb people on forum"

Print "" :box: :box:#$"#&$/ :scared: :scared: :scared:%/&(!" :rant: :rant: :rant:#!$ ";

else

Print "You just don't understand the point of foruns like this! Go back to school  :popcorn:"

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, AlienRelics, AndersJ, MrMobodies

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2021, 06:37:16 pm »
Cerebus, as I mentioned above this is DrG's post, not his. His only contribution is the last paragraph.

Yeah, I got to the descrambling a little too late. Oh well...

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2021, 07:31:50 pm »

@dtmouton I am assuming that you wrote the quote and that it was in response to my post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/is-eevblog-worth-it/msg3818753/#msg3818753 (if I am wrong, sorry and disregard the rest of the post). I am not a clinician. I don't know whether you are being honest or trolling or some combination. I am not giving you professional advice.

I said that I don't much care about your response, but maybe I was wrong about that because I am responding to this clusterphuk.....

I have never heard a bell that could be unrung.

If you get intoxicated (ethanol or otherwise) and you are doing things that you don't realize and later regret, it is, in my view, a problem. I hope you own up to that and I also hope you will at least consider seeing a professional in that regard - there is no shame in doing so.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 07:33:41 pm by DrG »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2021, 07:46:24 pm »
Gee, if I had to ability to feel remorse or embarrassed about the bullshit I posted on the internet while being, how you say, out to lunch, I'd need to retreat to a shack in the woods for the rest of my days.

Oh, wait...
iratus parum formica

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2021, 08:41:46 pm »
Gee, if I had to ability to feel remorse or embarrassed about the bullshit I posted on the internet while being, how you say, out to lunch, I'd need to retreat to a shack in the woods for the rest of my days.

Oh, wait...

:)

OK, there is nothing funny about all the problems intoxication has caused for so many people and we have all seen that. OTOH I do appreciate levity and humor and not taking one's self (or other people) too seriously on a forum....I encourage you, Ed to consider getting and using this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pluggdd.drunklocker

Some of that video is funny, but are you kidding me? Is this actually making $$$ ?!

Apparently, you program it with your relevant intoxication schedule and it blocks you from logging in to selected sites....to protect yourself from embarrassment.

We are all doomed.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2021, 11:49:07 pm »

The EEVBlog is what inspired me to have my own channel. Electroboom is what discouraged me to publish videos.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2021, 04:35:11 am »
The EEVBlog is what inspired me to have my own channel. Electroboom is what discouraged me to publish videos.

How so?  :-//

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2021, 04:36:58 am »
EEVblog is great. E/boom is equally great. They appeal to different demographics. This thread is a tail-chase.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2021, 05:28:01 am »
Beavis and Butthead are great too, and they also appeal to different demographics.

The following users thanked this post: james_s, schmitt trigger

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2021, 05:29:19 am »
Beavis and Butthead are great too, and they also appeal to different demographics.

Okay. And? 😁

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2021, 08:55:29 am »

I 100% agree. "Burn" the links into the video itself so that way it's platform agnostic.

I only watch the likes of Dave, Big Clive etc... on LBRY/Odysee now.

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: November 26, 2021, 12:40:38 am »
(Reply from Mazo was good: Relates that EEVBLOG helped motivate a career choice; Electrical Engineer !)

Yeah, many of us reading are in the 'in-between', whether from newly divorced, newly or longtime sick, or just plain waiting, for a more healthy professional setting...
   We made decisions too, although career starts are special times. Some come here to read / blog as they wish to switch industries, entirely.

Like a bike pump, handy for short-term aid, keeping things going, even while (every) other thing keeps worsening. It's a worthwhile 'keep alive' and yes, some of us may grow and move on to other video pursuits.

I hope we can keep this blog, for sake of those who don't yet know: "What is an Eevee blog ?"   Will that benefit my profession goals ?

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2021, 01:33:15 pm »
Jeff Bezos seems to be some sort of engineer but average joe with whatever engineer degree will never come close to him

"Exploitation of vulnerable workers to make me rich" vs. "Helping people learn about electronics at no cost."
"Obscene greed" vs "Altruistic sharing of knowledge"
"Fly me into space to show how great I am" vs. "Hi."

Here's is an excellent article about this Bezos character. It mentions Gates too.
https://jacobinmag.com/2021/02/jeff-bezos-amazon-exploitation-ceo

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2021, 10:29:46 am »

I earn a whole 50k/year from Youtube!

Offline elekorsi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2021, 09:30:03 pm »
Dave, for the amount of time and effort that you put in all these, this number should be at least triple...
It really is sad, that most money on youtube is made with stupid videos, where no special knowledge is required, except for video editing... Not to mention all that tiktok BS and self called "influencers" on instagram  :palm: it makes me sick...
I think its hard to make a living with technical knowledge on YT, thia makes me wonder what our children will become? Engineers or tiktok zombies with two left hands, unable to wipe their a** without an internet support??

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, Jacon

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2021, 12:11:46 am »
Yeah, 'dmoulton', now, again, as prev pointed out:
   You quote yourself, as you respond, then proceed to argue against...(wait forrr it) your own quote.

I guess this happens, in blogs. (Sigh...)
Still a free country, let him be, as long as not too destructive, here.
Here here!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2021, 03:26:19 am »
Dave, for the amount of time and effort that you put in all these, this number should be at least triple...
It really is sad, that most money on youtube is made with stupid videos, where no special knowledge is required, except for video editing... Not to mention all that tiktok BS and self called "influencers" on instagram  :palm: it makes me sick...
I think its hard to make a living with technical knowledge on YT, thia makes me wonder what our children will become? Engineers or tiktok zombies with two left hands, unable to wipe their a** without an internet support??

Yes, as a general rule, it seem to be that the more "technical" my videos get, the fewer the views.

I'm not complaining, I've made a decent living for a decade now for what is essentially my hobby. I'd be making these videos anyway even if it didn't pay the bills.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, AlienRelics

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2021, 03:41:54 am »
Yes, as a general rule, it seem to be that the more "technical" my videos get, the fewer the views.

Have Sagan do an 'unboxing' of some toy and then do some off-the-wall technical exposition on how it works, light your pants on fire in the process and the money will roll in.

The following users thanked this post: ivan747

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2021, 04:20:52 am »
TV is the same way, the garbage that appeals to to the lowest common denominator gets the most viewership in general. It's nice that at least some people still make interesting quality content rather than focusing on maximizing profit.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2021, 04:56:43 am »
How did this now-back-pedalled nonsense get to stay unlocked so long? Poor Dave, he works really hard.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2021, 05:07:59 am »
TV is the same way, the garbage that appeals to to the lowest common denominator gets the most viewership in general. It's nice that at least some people still make interesting quality content rather than focusing on maximizing profit.

Yes mate, exactly. 👍🏻👍🏻

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2021, 10:44:26 am »
Have Sagan do an 'unboxing' of some toy and then do some off-the-wall technical exposition on how it works, light your pants on fire in the process and the money will roll in.

I'll get Mrs EEVblog to do a mailbag in a bikini. Last one got 429k views.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2021, 10:54:41 am »

Dave in a mankini. When we see that we'll know the shark has been jumped.
iratus parum formica

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2021, 11:33:53 am »
That is wrong.  Normally clothed is fine.  We like her because she is better looking than you - and we admire her for putting up with you.   ;D

That is wrong ... so wrong.   :scared:

Just ... ... No.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, RJSV

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2021, 11:56:46 am »

I've already jumped the shark:

https://youtu.be/AO-vbzLPwSc?t=304

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2021, 12:09:59 pm »

You mean, Borat style, right?

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #175 on: November 29, 2021, 12:31:26 pm »
video about making 80's macgyver style bomb with mercury switches and stuff and getting it on plane
video about making project about electronics while being drunk
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 09:15:55 pm by strawberry »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2021, 09:48:46 am »
video about making 80's macgyver style bomb

I've actually made one, here is photo of me constructing it.
Actually, I had to make a 2nd one, because the first blomb got washed away in a flood. It happens.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, james_s

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2021, 11:27:06 am »

Speaking of lighting your pants on fire. Try the first minute and a half of this video by Waylon Wire "THE DIRTY DOZEN - finish the hood & mount the radiator". There's nothing new on YT these days. Including a rant about disgruntled viewers. It was something about a burnout challenge amongst a few prominent Youtubers. I can't remember if it was too much smoke or not enough. But Waylon sure didn't mince his words.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2021, 06:14:30 pm »

Actually, I had to make a 2nd one, because the first blomb got washed away in a flood. It happens.

I still remember when I was in maybe 3rd or 4th grade back in the 80s my friend and I made a fake bomb out of some clay and wires and batteries and a calculator and stuff and we were playing with it outside during recess. A teacher caught us with it and we got lectured for wasting school supplies. I shudder to think what would happen today, they'd probably overreact to the max and call in the swat team and charge us with terrorism.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2021, 09:04:54 pm »

I still remember when I was in maybe 3rd or 4th grade back in the 80s my friend and I made a fake bomb out of some clay and wires and batteries and a calculator and stuff and we were playing with it outside during recess. A teacher caught us with it and we got lectured for wasting school supplies. I shudder to think what would happen today, they'd probably overreact to the max and call in the swat team and charge us with terrorism.

Ha. Wasting school supplies.
iratus parum formica

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2021, 10:56:47 pm »
Doesn't seem all that long ago but it was a different world back then. We had an archery unit in physical education in grades 7/8/9 too. They actually handed bows and sharp metal tipped arrows out to 13-15 year olds out on the athletic field at school and we got to shoot them at targets tacked to hay bails, this was in the suburbs too, not out in the boonies. I remember more than once when the teacher wasn't looking I shot one up into the air and it came down waaay off the field in the woods somewhere.

I'd be shocked if they still have that, although it was a lot of fun and to my knowledge nobody ever got hurt any more than the occasional getting snapped in the arm by a bowstring or a feather cut to the finger.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, RJSV

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2021, 01:20:14 am »

Ha. Wasting school supplies.

Back in the day-----way, way, back, when my Dad was a kid, he lived in the WA Goldfields.
The standard miner's lamp back then, was an acetylene lamp, which produced the gas by a reaction between calcium carbide (CaC2) & water.
They were commonly called "carbide lamps", & calcium carbide was shortened to "carbide".

As, by itself, "carbide" was relatively benign, it wasn't kept locked away, & kids could readily purloin some for their own "scientific" experiments.

Thus, it came to pass, that Dad, (being a little shit at the time), put some water & carbide in an old fashioned lemonade bottle.
These had a glass sphere (commonly called a marble) inside which normally sealed the neck of the bottle in its intended usage.

The acetylene pressure forced the marble up into the neck, sealing it.
Further pressure rise eventually shattered the bottle in an explosive release of energy.

After testing this in an isolated spot, where it went off with a pleasing "bang", he & his mates looked round for a more satisfying  place to use this interesting phenomenon.

It just so happens that during lunch period at school, the teacher would enjoy a few nips of the brandy bottle he kept in his desk drawer.
The kids thought this would be an appropriate use for their infernal device, so timing it just right, rolled the lemonade bottle under the school floor to close to where he was enjoying his midday "reviver".

There was a blinding flash, a huge "ka-boom", & an ashen faced teacher emerged from the school!

There never was any real danger, as the sturdy floor was made of sterner stuff than the device could damage, but it is said the teacher "signed the pledge!"

It seems that such childhood "ratbaggery" didn't die out over 80 or so years, just shifted countries, as in the following:

A few years ago, I was talking to a young EE, who spent his childhood years in Vietnam, after their war.
There was still a lot of unexploded ordnance from the hostilities lying around the bush, & him & his mates used to open up those they could to use the guts in fireworks!

Wonder the mad young buggers didn't blow themselves up.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2021, 02:17:42 am »
Doesn't seem all that long ago but it was a different world back then.
The things my brother and I used to do with our friends were unthinkable nowadays - and we weren't really considered rambunctious, just ordinary kids. And yet here we are, eyewitnesses of yet another tectonic shift in the world, where a sneeze on a crowded area now has the potential to cause panic and possible vitriolic reactions against the "perpetrator".

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2021, 03:07:55 pm »
As, by itself, "carbide" was relatively benign, it wasn't kept locked away, & kids could readily purloin some for their own "scientific" experiments.

More than that, you could go and buy it down the local bicycle shop as carbide lamps for bicycles was still a 'thing'. A bike shop near me still had old stock of carbide into the early seventies (1970s. not 1870s  :)).

Offline penfold

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2021, 03:32:02 pm »

More than that, you could go and buy it down the local bicycle shop as carbide lamps for bicycles was still a 'thing'. A bike shop near me still had old stock of carbide into the early seventies (1970s. not 1870s  :)).

With no comments on how far behind the times some areas of the UK are... ahem... it was available until quite recently from a few caving and underground exploration paraphernalia shops in and around Buxton and Derbyshire... I guess it is a chemical that is more difficult to qualify as 'safe' than to simply restrict the purchase of.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2021, 05:31:03 pm »
I've still got my carbide lamp from my spelunking days. Could use a new sealing gasket, but otherwise it should still work.

Calcium carbide is still available if you actually want some. May be hard to find locally, but you can order it on amazon, among other places. No restrictions.

The modern version of a gas bomb is dry ice and water in a bottle. Same effect and just as dangerous, without being flammable. Even easier to get...my local supermarket sells it. Also, it's not that hard to make, especially with the internet as a resource to tell you how.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2021, 11:11:18 pm »
A 1973 film, Charley Varrick, starring Walter Matthau makes it very clear how much things have changed in the United States.  Probably much of the western world is on a similar trajectory.

In the film such things as chasing in and out of airports and buying dynamite at the hardware store are standard uncommented activities.  Unthinkable today.  There are many other examples of the huge cultural change that has occurred.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2021, 12:24:13 am »
I have some calcium carbide around here somewhere. I have an old carbide canon that is a miniature cast metal canon with a spark igniter on it. You put some water in a chamber and then drop in a pellet and wait a few seconds and then when you hit the sparker it makes an impressive bang. When I was in high school I had a chemistry teacher who made a big one that we got to set off at school. He was somewhat famous for explosions and fireballs, and always very popular with a very engaged class of students.

Online BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2021, 01:40:58 am »
Acetylene is some spooky stuff if mishandled, doubly so mixed with oxygen. My dad (who more or less behaves like the people in those old gory safety films) showed me how to fill balloons with an oxy acetylene torch when I was 8 or so. I remember it well, he filled up one to about 4 inches in diameter, tied it off, slipped it in an old Taco Bell bag (and somehow didn't blow us up with ESD), twisted it up, put it an small port-a-potty size disused tool shed scheduled for demolition, lit the "fuse", slammed the door shut, and ran (one of the few times I've seen him flat out run). It didn't turn it to shrapnel (purely by luck) but did pull out most nails about halfway.

Even as a kid I recognized that as far too hazardous to mess around with, and that was before I learned just how sensitive the shit can be.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2021, 03:15:38 am »
A 1973 film, Charley Varrick, starring Walter Matthau makes it very clear how much things have changed in the United States.  Probably much of the western world is on a similar trajectory.

In the film such things as chasing in and out of airports and buying dynamite at the hardware store are standard uncommented activities.  Unthinkable today.  There are many other examples of the huge cultural change that has occurred.

Back in the day, I, and others, used to fly round the State fixing TV & Radio Broadcast faults.

As part of this function, we would send on the same plane, a bunch of aluminium road cases full of gear, including often, CRC cleaning fluid & RP7 lube, in "spraycans".
These days, they would probably be a "no-no!"

Our "Big Boss" was the "Broadcast Operations Manager" (BOM), &, as "internal politics" were always a thing, we were often to be found chatting animatedly, referring a lot to "the BOM"!

I think that might cause a stir these days!! ;D

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2021, 06:54:43 am »
Acetylene is some spooky stuff if mishandled, doubly so mixed with oxygen.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2021, 07:26:52 am »
Bang!
iratus parum formica

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2021, 10:37:30 pm »
I arrived late to this thread, but nevertheless here are my two yen:

Whenever one of the many Internet forums I frequent, for any reason starts to drift away from my tastes, I just. Simply. Leave.

That’s it. No fuzz, no rants, no complaints, no goodbyes.
Simply stop visiting the website.

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2021, 12:36:40 am »
EEVBLOG forum stories:

A guy was having a problem with his arbitrary waveform generator. He thought he was going crazy. I happen to have the same model. Within one two hours of his posting, I was able to replicate the error, posting screenshots from my oscilloscope. He then knew it was a bug in that unit. This information is now available to anyone on the internet that searches for it.

On several occasions members have posted good deals on test equipment on ebay that I have happily snapped up. I have influenced others to buy test equipment on several occasions (easy to do with the test equipment addicts on the TEA forum here) by pointing out good deals.

I find this board to be provide an bottomless well endless supply of great ideas, tool recommendations, practical advice, inspiration, and humor. Yes, also lots of BS and blowhards, but you get that in any gathering of humans.

Just today, I made everyone in a meeting at work laugh by retelling a joke from this forum.

I built my lab bench (the table and shelves) using tips and advice I read on this forum.

I have been able to do beta testing and make contributions to member-written software here, helping to make more useful tools for people that want to automate measurements.

I find EEVBLOG such a benefit that I give USD1 per month (big spender alert!) via Patreon. If you find the site useful and you have the dosh to spare, I urge you to do the same.

🦆🦆
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 07:03:38 am by duckduck »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, SilverSolder, Jacon, schmitt trigger

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2021, 01:06:27 am »
EEVBLOG forum stories:

A guy was having a problem with his arbitrary waveform generator. He thought he was going crazy. I happen to have the same model. Within one hour of his posting, I was able to replicate the error, posting screenshots from my oscilloscope. He then knew it was a bug in that unit. This information is now available to anyone on the internet that searches for it.

On several occasions members have posted good deals on test equipment on ebay that I have happily snapped up. I have influenced others to buy test equipment on several occasions (easy to do with the test equipment addicts on the TEA forum here) by pointing out good deals.

I find this board to be a bottomless well of great ideas, tool recommendations, practical advice, inspiration, and humor. Yes, also lots of BS and blowhards, but you get that in any gathering of humans.

Just today, I made everyone in a meeting at work laugh by retelling a joke from this forum.

I built my lab bench (the table and shelves) using tips and advice I read on this forum.

I have been able to do beta testing and make contributions to member-written software here, helping to make more useful tools for people that want to automate measurements.

I find EEVBLOG such a benefit that I give USD1 per month (big spender alert!) via Patreon. If you find the site useful and you have the dosh to spare, I urge you to do the same.

Go! 🦆

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2021, 09:37:42 am »
Back in the day, I, and others, used to fly round the State fixing TV & Radio Broadcast faults.
As part of this function, we would send on the same plane, a bunch of aluminium road cases full of gear, including often, CRC cleaning fluid & RP7 lube, in "spraycans".
Our "Big Boss" was the "Broadcast Operations Manager" (BOM), &, as "internal politics" were always a thing, we were often to be found chatting animatedly, referring a lot to "the BOM"!

The Hasselblad bomber  :-DD
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/126650610/us-plane-evacuation-was-because-someone-mistook-a-camera-for-a-bomb

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2021, 01:51:26 pm »
When you are tired of EEVblog, you are tired of life...

...to coin a phrase!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2021, 08:13:10 pm »

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/126650610/us-plane-evacuation-was-because-someone-mistook-a-camera-for-a-bomb

The idiots that stop life being enjoyable from time to time. Of course he evaded security with a bomb he was so good but then was so stupid he needed instructions to twiddle a timer dial in full view of everyone  :-DD

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: December 05, 2021, 04:41:16 am »

Wow, that's ridiculous. The guy involved should have sued everyone involved in his ordeal, maybe a few multi-million dollar judgements against overreacting fools would make people think twice before rushing to judgement. It it looks anything like a bomb in a movie or TV show, it probably isn't a bomb. Held for hours? It shouldn't have taken more than 5 minutes to determine the device was harmless and send him on his way.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: December 05, 2021, 05:34:32 am »

Wow, that's ridiculous. The guy involved should have sued everyone involved in his ordeal, maybe a few multi-million dollar judgements against overreacting fools would make people think twice before rushing to judgement. It it looks anything like a bomb in a movie or TV show, it probably isn't a bomb. Held for hours? It shouldn't have taken more than 5 minutes to determine the device was harmless and send him on his way.

My son was "interviewed" for hours by the Immigration officials in Bali because another bloke of the same name was on a "checklist".
The fact that the other fellow was African American, & my son is neither, should perhaps have ignited a flicker of doubt!

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #200 on: December 05, 2021, 09:47:02 am »
Dave, again, please please don’t take this utter nonsense topic to heart; you’re just marvellous; you can’t please all the people all of the time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dave, so we’ve worked out that to hear your voice at what would be considered “normal” pitch, compared to “most”(?) men, we’re to talk to you right after you’ve just woken up? It doesn’t sound like you - doesn’t sound like “Our Dave” (spoken in a Yorkshire accent 😁) but we all sound like that at times. Lol.

>>> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/kicad-pcb-design/

To be honest, I like your voice how it is. You’re a really lovely bloke and it’s your signature - it’s unique and part of who you are. Anyone who mocks you is a little immature or just rude, as it’s a nice attribute and makes you stand out - in a GOOD way. Yes, when I first came across you, years ago, it surprised me, but I’ve got used to it and you’re like an old friend who I always want to return back home to go and see, because you’re a chirpy and jolly chap. Wouldn’t have you any other way; it’s how you were made old bean.

I think I’ve said this before: I’ve been watching you so many years now, that sentimental feelings have had time to form - memories of where I was and when, when I watched X video of you doing Y thing, and that’s really nice; sentimentality is an emotional bond and makes one attached to a person or thing.

Blessings. :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 09:49:15 am by eti »

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #201 on: December 05, 2021, 09:53:19 am »

I would agree that much of the "information" found on any Internet discussion forum is worthless, but there's also a lot of helpful information to be found as well. Sorting the wheat from the chaff is the hard part.

I would also agree that someone working professionally in the industry probably has other sources of information and knowledge and doesn't need to get answers from Internet forums, but also keep in mind that many of the participants on this forum are amateurs without formal training and the information they find here is often a useful starting point.

They don’t sound like they know what a blog IS. A blog is an abbreviation of “weB LOG”, and the one running the blog is Dave, so I’m not sure how this person thinks we FORUM members can be “members of the blog” - the forum members get to socialise and to discuss *Dave’s* blog entries and videos

A pedantic but technically correct distinction.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #202 on: December 05, 2021, 09:05:36 pm »
The fact that the other fellow was African American, & my son is neither, should perhaps have ignited a flicker of doubt!

I once got a ticket for driving in a bus lane, despite my not being anywhere near the city involved. They supplies a photo as proof, which did indeed show a car with my registration number. A trivial check would have shown that my vehicle was a motorcycle, so plainly not the thing they'd snapped. Nevertheless, despite pointing that out to them several times, I only got it resolved by going to a local court to state under oath that it was not me driving that car, honest your honour.

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, CatalinaWOW

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #203 on: December 05, 2021, 10:38:35 pm »
Dave, again, please please don’t take this utter nonsense topic to heart;

If I took any this to heart I would not have lasted 12 years in this game.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #204 on: December 05, 2021, 10:40:30 pm »
My son was "interviewed" for hours by the Immigration officials in Bali because another bloke of the same name was on a "checklist".

https://www.eevblog.com/2014/02/24/element-14-holding-orders-based-on-us-government-watch-list/

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #205 on: December 05, 2021, 11:01:29 pm »
I once got a ticket for driving in a bus lane, despite my not being anywhere near the city involved. They supplies a photo as proof, which did indeed show a car with my registration number. A trivial check would have shown that my vehicle was a motorcycle, so plainly not the thing they'd snapped. Nevertheless, despite pointing that out to them several times, I only got it resolved by going to a local court to state under oath that it was not me driving that car, honest your honour.

Someone got fined for doing the same thing, just because the amazingly ingenious and extremely well written, AI software, found their number plate, on a ladies tee-shirt, who happened to walk across the bus lane.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/18/motorist-fined-number-plate-t-shirt

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 11:03:30 pm by MK14 »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2021, 12:02:45 am »
 :palm:

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #207 on: December 06, 2021, 05:59:46 am »

Someone got fined for doing the same thing, just because the amazingly ingenious and extremely well written, AI software, found their number plate, on a ladies tee-shirt, who happened to walk across the bus lane.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/18/motorist-fined-number-plate-t-shirt

Apart from the mistake, the sentence at the bottom of the notification doesn't make sense to me, "YOU MUST NOT IGNORE THIS NOTICE, OR PASS IT TO THE DRIVER" forbids you from doing either of those things, when the latter is obviously what you must do if you aren't the driver!

The equivalent in Western Australia says something like:-"If you were not driving, pass it on to the driver."

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #208 on: December 06, 2021, 06:10:48 am »
Apart from the mistake, the sentence at the bottom of the notification doesn't make sense to me, "YOU MUST NOT IGNORE THIS NOTICE, OR PASS IT TO THE DRIVER" forbids you from doing either of those things, when the latter is obviously what you must do if you aren't the driver!

The equivalent in Western Australia says something like:-"If you were not driving, pass it on to the driver."

I noticed that mistake as well, and agree with you. It is apparently poorly written.

The driver is lucky she wasn't running, or he would have got a speeding ticket as well (joke).

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: December 06, 2021, 08:00:09 am »
Are you sure it's a mistake? Sounds to me like the registered owner of the offending vehicle is legally responsible for paying the fine, not whoever was driving. Just like a parking ticket...making the crime against the vehicle gets rid of all those nasty issues of identifying who is actually driving.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: December 06, 2021, 08:14:24 am »
Not how it works here.

But just about right now, they are also introducing high fines for failing to "remember" who drove the vehicle at the time of the incident ;)

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #211 on: December 06, 2021, 11:29:33 am »
Are you sure it's a mistake? Sounds to me like the registered owner of the offending vehicle is legally responsible for paying the fine, not whoever was driving. Just like a parking ticket...making the crime against the vehicle gets rid of all those nasty issues of identifying who is actually driving.

Because some of the offences, are considered bad/dangerous driving, they also can give you penalty points (in the UK), e.g. for speeding. Get too many points, and then you are brought up against the courts and potentially banned from driving.
Hence it is often essential to know who the actual driver was.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: December 06, 2021, 11:49:33 am »
Dave, so we’ve worked out that to hear your voice at what would be considered “normal” pitch, compared to “most”(?) men, we’re to talk to you right after you’ve just woken up? It doesn’t sound like you - doesn’t sound like “Our Dave” (spoken in a Yorkshire accent 😁) but we all sound like that at times. Lol.
In the good sense, I never completely got used to that funny voice pitch. I always found it funny as hell. Then the aussie stuff shows up and it's nuts!.
My voice isn't a bear-sized-man either!

If it was scottish accent, the thing would be dangerous for my health! Would love Clive trying this :-DD

Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #213 on: December 06, 2021, 11:55:09 am »
We had some interesting precedents set here in our part of the dung hill.

A legal crisis occurred 15-10 years ago after this tech first showed up, there was a prominent judge who put down on the form that a deceased person was the driver. We can't talk about how the scandal arose from that point on here but suffice it to say the ramifications of the subsequent inquiry were extraordinary and enlightening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Einfeld

The wash-up in our jurisdiction was that someone, some (living) person ultimately has to cop the wrap. The inquiry and criminal hearing exposed some problems with the implementation of the technology (which apparently still occurs here and elsewhere). The onus is on you, the car owner, to prove it was somebody else otherwise you wear the consequences.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, MK14

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2021, 12:55:36 pm »

I noticed that mistake as well, and agree with you. It is apparently poorly written.

The driver is lucky she wasn't running, or he would have got a speeding ticket as well (joke).
Yeah, speed limits are so ridiculous in some places, that you can easily speed with skateboards.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: December 06, 2021, 04:25:01 pm »

That is because English Uncivil Servants have completely lost touch, both with the service's traditional ethos and with the people they are supposed to serve.

Arguably the best writing style guide for English is "The Complete Plain Words" by Sir Ernest Gowers which essentially grew out of advice on style that he provided to the Civil Service so that they might communicate clearly, concisely and unambiguously. It was produced when the second world war massively increased the number of people that the Government had to inform or interact with and consequently meant that ordinary folks without years of schooling in interpreting gobbledegook officialese had to be able to actually understand what was put in front of them. Gowers complained that official writing was full of "mistiness and grandiloquence" and argued for clear, plain English to be used.

For many years "The Complete Plain Words" was an official government publication and required reading for Civil Servants.  Gowers had a sense of humour too, his introduction to "The Complete Plain Words" contained this:

"The purpose of this book is to help officials in their use of written English. To some of them this may seem a work of supererogation, calculated only to place an unnecessary burden on a body of people already overburdened."

I suspect you could hear the sound of those words flying over the heads of some Civil Servant Mandarins even today.

Also the Civil Service was the source of the best book on designing forms ever written and is still published by The Stationery Office (formerly HMSO). Both books seem to have fallen off the reading lists of Civil Servants. Sometimes you get an official form to fill in that, if you know the style, was obviously produced by one of those few remaining Civil Servants that actually bothered to read the handbook and it is a breeze to complete. Most of the time you get forms designed by people who 'didn't read the memo' and are left with an ambiguous mess to try and interpret. It's notable that the old school clear writing and well designed forms started to disappear in the 1980s as privatisation and 'agency status' for former government departments overtook the world.

The following users thanked this post: AlienRelics, MK14

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #216 on: December 06, 2021, 05:59:45 pm »

Because some of the offences, are considered bad/dangerous driving, they also can give you penalty points (in the UK), e.g. for speeding. Get too many points, and then you are brought up against the courts and potentially banned from driving.
Hence it is often essential to know who the actual driver was.

A fine argument for those offences that are bad/dangerous driving. Is this offence considered one of those? I'm sure if you looked up the relevant code you could find out for sure.

Offline AlienRelics

• Supporter
    • AE7HD
« Reply #217 on: December 06, 2021, 07:37:52 pm »
Is it worth it for the super expensive price you pay for access to the forum and to watch the videos?

Sorry, divide by zero error.
Steven J Greenfield AE7HD

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #218 on: December 06, 2021, 09:10:52 pm »
A fine argument for those offences that are bad/dangerous driving. Is this offence considered one of those? I'm sure if you looked up the relevant code you could find out for sure.

No, I did a fairly accurate check, there don't seem to be points on your licence, for driving in bus lanes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf