Author Topic: Is EEVBlog worth it  (Read 25484 times)

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
Re: Is EEVBlog worth it
« Reply #175 on: November 29, 2021, 12:31:26 pm »
video about making 80's macgyver style bomb with mercury switches and stuff and getting it on plane
video about making project about electronics while being drunk
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 09:15:55 pm by strawberry »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2021, 09:48:46 am »
video about making 80's macgyver style bomb

I've actually made one, here is photo of me constructing it.
Actually, I had to make a 2nd one, because the first blomb got washed away in a flood. It happens.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, james_s

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2021, 11:27:06 am »
Yes, as a general rule, it seem to be that the more "technical" my videos get, the fewer the views.

Have Sagan do an 'unboxing' of some toy and then do some off-the-wall technical exposition on how it works, light your pants on fire in the process and the money will roll in.

Speaking of lighting your pants on fire. Try the first minute and a half of this video by Waylon Wire "THE DIRTY DOZEN - finish the hood & mount the radiator". There's nothing new on YT these days. Including a rant about disgruntled viewers. It was something about a burnout challenge amongst a few prominent Youtubers. I can't remember if it was too much smoke or not enough. But Waylon sure didn't mince his words.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2021, 06:14:30 pm »

Actually, I had to make a 2nd one, because the first blomb got washed away in a flood. It happens.

I still remember when I was in maybe 3rd or 4th grade back in the 80s my friend and I made a fake bomb out of some clay and wires and batteries and a calculator and stuff and we were playing with it outside during recess. A teacher caught us with it and we got lectured for wasting school supplies. I shudder to think what would happen today, they'd probably overreact to the max and call in the swat team and charge us with terrorism.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2021, 09:04:54 pm »

I still remember when I was in maybe 3rd or 4th grade back in the 80s my friend and I made a fake bomb out of some clay and wires and batteries and a calculator and stuff and we were playing with it outside during recess. A teacher caught us with it and we got lectured for wasting school supplies. I shudder to think what would happen today, they'd probably overreact to the max and call in the swat team and charge us with terrorism.

Ha. Wasting school supplies.
iratus parum formica

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2021, 10:56:47 pm »
Doesn't seem all that long ago but it was a different world back then. We had an archery unit in physical education in grades 7/8/9 too. They actually handed bows and sharp metal tipped arrows out to 13-15 year olds out on the athletic field at school and we got to shoot them at targets tacked to hay bails, this was in the suburbs too, not out in the boonies. I remember more than once when the teacher wasn't looking I shot one up into the air and it came down waaay off the field in the woods somewhere.

I'd be shocked if they still have that, although it was a lot of fun and to my knowledge nobody ever got hurt any more than the occasional getting snapped in the arm by a bowstring or a feather cut to the finger.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, RJSV

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2021, 01:20:14 am »

Ha. Wasting school supplies.

Back in the day-----way, way, back, when my Dad was a kid, he lived in the WA Goldfields.
The standard miner's lamp back then, was an acetylene lamp, which produced the gas by a reaction between calcium carbide (CaC2) & water.
They were commonly called "carbide lamps", & calcium carbide was shortened to "carbide".

As, by itself, "carbide" was relatively benign, it wasn't kept locked away, & kids could readily purloin some for their own "scientific" experiments.

Thus, it came to pass, that Dad, (being a little shit at the time), put some water & carbide in an old fashioned lemonade bottle.
These had a glass sphere (commonly called a marble) inside which normally sealed the neck of the bottle in its intended usage.

The acetylene pressure forced the marble up into the neck, sealing it.
Further pressure rise eventually shattered the bottle in an explosive release of energy.

After testing this in an isolated spot, where it went off with a pleasing "bang", he & his mates looked round for a more satisfying  place to use this interesting phenomenon.

It just so happens that during lunch period at school, the teacher would enjoy a few nips of the brandy bottle he kept in his desk drawer.
The kids thought this would be an appropriate use for their infernal device, so timing it just right, rolled the lemonade bottle under the school floor to close to where he was enjoying his midday "reviver".

There was a blinding flash, a huge "ka-boom", & an ashen faced teacher emerged from the school!

There never was any real danger, as the sturdy floor was made of sterner stuff than the device could damage, but it is said the teacher "signed the pledge!"

It seems that such childhood "ratbaggery" didn't die out over 80 or so years, just shifted countries, as in the following:

A few years ago, I was talking to a young EE, who spent his childhood years in Vietnam, after their war.
There was still a lot of unexploded ordnance from the hostilities lying around the bush, & him & his mates used to open up those they could to use the guts in fireworks!

Wonder the mad young buggers didn't blow themselves up.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2021, 02:17:42 am »
Doesn't seem all that long ago but it was a different world back then.
The things my brother and I used to do with our friends were unthinkable nowadays - and we weren't really considered rambunctious, just ordinary kids. And yet here we are, eyewitnesses of yet another tectonic shift in the world, where a sneeze on a crowded area now has the potential to cause panic and possible vitriolic reactions against the "perpetrator".
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2021, 03:07:55 pm »
As, by itself, "carbide" was relatively benign, it wasn't kept locked away, & kids could readily purloin some for their own "scientific" experiments.

More than that, you could go and buy it down the local bicycle shop as carbide lamps for bicycles was still a 'thing'. A bike shop near me still had old stock of carbide into the early seventies (1970s. not 1870s  :)).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline penfold

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2021, 03:32:02 pm »

More than that, you could go and buy it down the local bicycle shop as carbide lamps for bicycles was still a 'thing'. A bike shop near me still had old stock of carbide into the early seventies (1970s. not 1870s  :)).

With no comments on how far behind the times some areas of the UK are... ahem... it was available until quite recently from a few caving and underground exploration paraphernalia shops in and around Buxton and Derbyshire... I guess it is a chemical that is more difficult to qualify as 'safe' than to simply restrict the purchase of.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2021, 05:31:03 pm »
I've still got my carbide lamp from my spelunking days. Could use a new sealing gasket, but otherwise it should still work.

Calcium carbide is still available if you actually want some. May be hard to find locally, but you can order it on amazon, among other places. No restrictions.

The modern version of a gas bomb is dry ice and water in a bottle. Same effect and just as dangerous, without being flammable. Even easier to get...my local supermarket sells it. Also, it's not that hard to make, especially with the internet as a resource to tell you how.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2021, 11:11:18 pm »
A 1973 film, Charley Varrick, starring Walter Matthau makes it very clear how much things have changed in the United States.  Probably much of the western world is on a similar trajectory.

In the film such things as chasing in and out of airports and buying dynamite at the hardware store are standard uncommented activities.  Unthinkable today.  There are many other examples of the huge cultural change that has occurred.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2021, 12:24:13 am »
I have some calcium carbide around here somewhere. I have an old carbide canon that is a miniature cast metal canon with a spark igniter on it. You put some water in a chamber and then drop in a pellet and wait a few seconds and then when you hit the sparker it makes an impressive bang. When I was in high school I had a chemistry teacher who made a big one that we got to set off at school. He was somewhat famous for explosions and fireballs, and always very popular with a very engaged class of students.

Online BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2021, 01:40:58 am »
Acetylene is some spooky stuff if mishandled, doubly so mixed with oxygen. My dad (who more or less behaves like the people in those old gory safety films) showed me how to fill balloons with an oxy acetylene torch when I was 8 or so. I remember it well, he filled up one to about 4 inches in diameter, tied it off, slipped it in an old Taco Bell bag (and somehow didn't blow us up with ESD), twisted it up, put it an small port-a-potty size disused tool shed scheduled for demolition, lit the "fuse", slammed the door shut, and ran (one of the few times I've seen him flat out run). It didn't turn it to shrapnel (purely by luck) but did pull out most nails about halfway.

Even as a kid I recognized that as far too hazardous to mess around with, and that was before I learned just how sensitive the shit can be.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2021, 03:15:38 am »
A 1973 film, Charley Varrick, starring Walter Matthau makes it very clear how much things have changed in the United States.  Probably much of the western world is on a similar trajectory.

In the film such things as chasing in and out of airports and buying dynamite at the hardware store are standard uncommented activities.  Unthinkable today.  There are many other examples of the huge cultural change that has occurred.

Back in the day, I, and others, used to fly round the State fixing TV & Radio Broadcast faults.

As part of this function, we would send on the same plane, a bunch of aluminium road cases full of gear, including often, CRC cleaning fluid & RP7 lube, in "spraycans".
These days, they would probably be a "no-no!"

Our "Big Boss" was the "Broadcast Operations Manager" (BOM), &, as "internal politics" were always a thing, we were often to be found chatting animatedly, referring a lot to "the BOM"!

I think that might cause a stir these days!! ;D

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2021, 06:54:43 am »
Acetylene is some spooky stuff if mishandled, doubly so mixed with oxygen.

A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2021, 07:26:52 am »
Bang!
iratus parum formica

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2021, 10:37:30 pm »
I arrived late to this thread, but nevertheless here are my two yen:

Whenever one of the many Internet forums I frequent, for any reason starts to drift away from my tastes, I just. Simply. Leave.

That’s it. No fuzz, no rants, no complaints, no goodbyes.
Simply stop visiting the website.

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2021, 12:36:40 am »
EEVBLOG forum stories:

A guy was having a problem with his arbitrary waveform generator. He thought he was going crazy. I happen to have the same model. Within one two hours of his posting, I was able to replicate the error, posting screenshots from my oscilloscope. He then knew it was a bug in that unit. This information is now available to anyone on the internet that searches for it.

On several occasions members have posted good deals on test equipment on ebay that I have happily snapped up. I have influenced others to buy test equipment on several occasions (easy to do with the test equipment addicts on the TEA forum here) by pointing out good deals.

I find this board to be provide an bottomless well endless supply of great ideas, tool recommendations, practical advice, inspiration, and humor. Yes, also lots of BS and blowhards, but you get that in any gathering of humans.

Just today, I made everyone in a meeting at work laugh by retelling a joke from this forum.

I built my lab bench (the table and shelves) using tips and advice I read on this forum.

I have been able to do beta testing and make contributions to member-written software here, helping to make more useful tools for people that want to automate measurements.

I find EEVBLOG such a benefit that I give USD1 per month (big spender alert!) via Patreon. If you find the site useful and you have the dosh to spare, I urge you to do the same.

🦆🦆
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 07:03:38 am by duckduck »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, SilverSolder, Jacon, schmitt trigger

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2021, 01:06:27 am »
EEVBLOG forum stories:

A guy was having a problem with his arbitrary waveform generator. He thought he was going crazy. I happen to have the same model. Within one hour of his posting, I was able to replicate the error, posting screenshots from my oscilloscope. He then knew it was a bug in that unit. This information is now available to anyone on the internet that searches for it.

On several occasions members have posted good deals on test equipment on ebay that I have happily snapped up. I have influenced others to buy test equipment on several occasions (easy to do with the test equipment addicts on the TEA forum here) by pointing out good deals.

I find this board to be a bottomless well of great ideas, tool recommendations, practical advice, inspiration, and humor. Yes, also lots of BS and blowhards, but you get that in any gathering of humans.

Just today, I made everyone in a meeting at work laugh by retelling a joke from this forum.

I built my lab bench (the table and shelves) using tips and advice I read on this forum.

I have been able to do beta testing and make contributions to member-written software here, helping to make more useful tools for people that want to automate measurements.

I find EEVBLOG such a benefit that I give USD1 per month (big spender alert!) via Patreon. If you find the site useful and you have the dosh to spare, I urge you to do the same.

Go! 🦆

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2021, 09:37:42 am »
Back in the day, I, and others, used to fly round the State fixing TV & Radio Broadcast faults.
As part of this function, we would send on the same plane, a bunch of aluminium road cases full of gear, including often, CRC cleaning fluid & RP7 lube, in "spraycans".
Our "Big Boss" was the "Broadcast Operations Manager" (BOM), &, as "internal politics" were always a thing, we were often to be found chatting animatedly, referring a lot to "the BOM"!

The Hasselblad bomber  :-DD
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/126650610/us-plane-evacuation-was-because-someone-mistook-a-camera-for-a-bomb

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2021, 01:51:26 pm »
When you are tired of EEVblog, you are tired of life...

...to coin a phrase!

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2021, 08:13:10 pm »

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/126650610/us-plane-evacuation-was-because-someone-mistook-a-camera-for-a-bomb

The idiots that stop life being enjoyable from time to time. Of course he evaded security with a bomb he was so good but then was so stupid he needed instructions to twiddle a timer dial in full view of everyone  :-DD

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: December 05, 2021, 04:41:16 am »

Wow, that's ridiculous. The guy involved should have sued everyone involved in his ordeal, maybe a few multi-million dollar judgements against overreacting fools would make people think twice before rushing to judgement. It it looks anything like a bomb in a movie or TV show, it probably isn't a bomb. Held for hours? It shouldn't have taken more than 5 minutes to determine the device was harmless and send him on his way.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: December 05, 2021, 05:34:32 am »

Wow, that's ridiculous. The guy involved should have sued everyone involved in his ordeal, maybe a few multi-million dollar judgements against overreacting fools would make people think twice before rushing to judgement. It it looks anything like a bomb in a movie or TV show, it probably isn't a bomb. Held for hours? It shouldn't have taken more than 5 minutes to determine the device was harmless and send him on his way.

My son was "interviewed" for hours by the Immigration officials in Bali because another bloke of the same name was on a "checklist".
The fact that the other fellow was African American, & my son is neither, should perhaps have ignited a flicker of doubt!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf