Author Topic: Is it tone deaf to send out CVs now?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Is it tone deaf to send out CVs now?
« on: March 25, 2020, 08:53:14 am »
The present world situation is like nothing I've experienced before.
Here I am at home working on myself and my resumé (or CV, guess it depends where you are), should I send it out as if nothing's different?
I see new job postings popping just in the last days, but I wonder how much of that is algorithmic perhaps.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
Re: Is it tone deaf to send out CVs now?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 09:00:05 am »
I would consider it business as usual, if they have an opening don't hesitate to apply.

I suspect the interview process might be a bit different than usual, perhaps via phone the first round or two.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 09:16:42 am »
While some jobs may be on the wrong side of shut-downs, other jobs have become high demand because of the circumstances.

If I were looking for a job, I'd be submitting my résumé to each opportunity that presented itself.

The following users thanked this post: mairo

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 10:04:02 am »
The present world situation is like nothing I've experienced before.
Here I am at home working on myself and my resumé (or CV, guess it depends where you are), should I send it out as if nothing's different?
I see new job postings popping just in the last days, but I wonder how much of that is algorithmic perhaps.
There are jobs out there. One of my customers is doing interviews remotely using video conferencing. Just make sure you have a good webcam, good microphone, good lighting and your room is presentable.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 10:28:48 am »
There are jobs out there. One of my customers is doing interviews remotely using video conferencing. Just make sure you have a good webcam, good microphone, good lighting and your room is presentable.

Have your lab in the background!

The following users thanked this post: Psi, ANTALIFE

Offline Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 02:14:16 pm »
OK, thanks for the feedback!
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 02:28:07 pm »
Agents and agencies get restless when they have no work; I always receive high levels of calls at Christmas and over the summer... it's because they are bored.
IMHO... keep your powder dry and wait for a bit.  In the meantime do something useful... that you can talk about later.

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 07:33:49 pm »
Be VERY wary of any temp jobs that are through a temp agency.  Temp agencies make promises they don't intend to keep, take half of what would be a reasonable salary and have zero commitment to you. 
If you have to go the temp route, be sure to read all of the fine print.  Maybe even consult a lawyer before signing.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 02:33:47 am »
Difficult situation at the moment.

Except maybe for temporary jobs, many companies are currently putting permanent hiring on hold. OTOH, people in charge of hiring are more likely to have more time on their hands to read resumes and consider applications more closely than usual... in other words, sending your resume at the moment may be a good idea to get selected for later, but don't expect that to become fruitful before quite a while IMO. YMMV.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 02:50:17 am »
As far as temps go, I know a few places that have already let go of their temps in an effort to increase social distancing. I'd be surprised if temp jobs are popular now.

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 03:44:22 am »
Excellent Idea Dave!

I work for a defence company and we are recruiting now.  Telephone interviews are a given, and we've got special isolation plans to induct new starters.

It's a challenge - and if you were to have your workshop in the background, you're going to get a lot more interesting questions!

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 04:34:59 am »
It's definitely worth sending out your CV now.

Some companies will always be looking to hire, especially if some of their staff are currently down sick and they have commitments to meet.

Overall the market will be less but the number of people bothering to apply for jobs right now may also be less.
Just like how you questioned if it was worth applying.

Always remember, the CV is just to grab their attention and show that you can actually build/develop stuff.
As Dave said, showing you have a electronics lab, and work on your own projects is very helpful to demonstrate you have actual skills and not just pieces of paper.

You want the engineers at the company to read your CV and think, "lol, this guy seems interesting, he's done some cool stuff. lets get him in for an interview" (him/her)

The problem you sometimes have is HR throwing the CV in the rubbish before the engineers actually see it.
So you do have to make the CV professional with no spelling mistakes, well laid out etc.. So it can get past HR
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:38:15 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf