Author Topic: is Nichrome magnetic ? what is its relative permeability ?  (Read 603 times)

Offline metebalciTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
is Nichrome magnetic ? what is its relative permeability ?
« on: February 27, 2024, 12:44:59 pm »

I have not been able find the relative permeability of Nichrome (Ni80Cr20) yet. Is it magnetic or not (or negligible mu_r~1) ?

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: is Nichrome magnetic ? what is its relative permeability ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 01:39:23 pm »
Manufacturers of nichrome say it is non magnetic on the internet. Some say it is faintly magnetic.

Something being magnetic or not can be quite complicated. Nickel in itself is feromagnetic, but just because a alloy has a feromagnetic element in it does not automatically make the alloy also feromagnetic.

For example stainless steel is mostly iron, yet most kinds of stainless steel are pretty non magnetic. To make things even weirder, some kinds of non magnetic stainless will become magnetic once you stress it by bending it. You can see this effect on stainless steel forks or spoons, magnets don't stick to the handle, but they do stick to the eating end due to having gone trough pressing into shape.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 01:50:50 pm »
Manufacturers of nichrome say it is non magnetic on the internet. Some say it is faintly magnetic.

Something being magnetic or not can be quite complicated. Nickel in itself is feromagnetic, but just because a alloy has a feromagnetic element in it does not automatically make the alloy also feromagnetic.

I will assume non magnetic then, until I see any number for permeability.

For example stainless steel is mostly iron, yet most kinds of stainless steel are pretty non magnetic. To make things even weirder, some kinds of non magnetic stainless will become magnetic once you stress it by bending it. You can see this effect on stainless steel forks or spoons, magnets don't stick to the handle, but they do stick to the eating end due to having gone trough pressing into shape.

That is interesting, I didnt know.

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 03:52:47 pm »
Nichrome is paramagnetic. 
Its permeability is hard to find through Google, but a Chinese vendor quotes 1.09 +/- 0.05.
My copy of the “rubber bible” (CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics) is in storage:  you could check it at your library.

The following users thanked this post: metebalci

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 03:57:10 pm »
Nichrome is paramagnetic. 
Its permeability is hard to find through Google, but a Chinese vendor quotes 1.09 +/- 0.05.
My copy of the “rubber bible” (CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics) is in storage:  you could check it at your library.

Indeed hard to find. Meanwhile, you answered another question I have, the name of the catalog for material properties, thanks.

Online antenna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 07:35:26 pm »
a toaster sample (thin wire) and a toaster oven space heater sample (the thicker stuff), both clinging to a magnet.  Sorry about the image rotation, my computer always does that to pictures from my phone.
2039456-0
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 07:45:12 pm by antenna »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 08:32:37 pm »
Hmm, wouldn't be surprised if toasters use stainless or whatever cheap alloy they can find at the time; if it can handle temperature and has resistance, that's more than good enough.

Afraid I don't have any pieces of known alloy/composition, but I can tell there is very slight magnetism to this ribbon-wound Milwaukee (now Vishay) vitreous-enamel power resistor.  Setup is, hard drive (NdFeB) magnet dangling from a ~0.5m clip lead; waiting for it to settle, then moving the resistor up close, gives a displacement of maybe ~2mm when touching.  It's very slight, though I don't know how to convert that to permeability exactly.

This kind I think: https://www.vishay.com/docs/31807/rbefrbsf.pdf they list three possible materials however, so it might not even be NiCr.  CuNi is apparently "nonmagnetic" so it's probably not that (though how nonmagnetic it really is, doesn't seem to be common knowledge; I see some cryogenic-focused papers showing para/ferro magnetism at low temperatures).

Another ribbon-wound resistor (unknown brand) shows noticeable magnetism, I would say comparable to mildly-worked stainless; a wire-wound resistor shows none.  Probably I have a range of materials here... interesting.

Tim
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 08:35:56 pm by T3sl4co1l »
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 09:19:23 pm »
Finding what alloy you have may be as challenging as finding the permeability.  I don't have any samples at hand, but in the past have fought assembly of small bits and pieces of things that were claimed to be Nichrome because they were so magnetic.  But I have no pedigree on what they actually were.

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 10:51:03 pm »
Note that there are three possible magnetic properties for a given alloy:
1.  ferromagnetism is a very strong effect (high positive permeability), non-linear (variable permeability >> +1), that shows hysteresis, where electron spin magnifies the applied field
2.  paramagnetism is a much weaker effect (low positive permeability, > +1, where vacuum = +1) that is close to linear without hysteresis, also due to electron spin
       if you heat a ferromagnet above its Curie point (transition temperature), it becomes paramagnetic
3.  diamagnetism is another weak effect (low negative permeability, < -1) found in materials such as copper, where the orbiting electrons resist the applied field[/li][/list]

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 10:55:46 pm »

I will assume non magnetic then, until I see any number for permeability.

That is interesting, I didnt know.

The "300" series of "austenitic" stainless steels have a crystal structure that is usually not ferromagnetic, but when work-hardened the disruption of the structure can become ferromagnetic
The "400" series of "martensitic" stainless steels are usually ferromagnetic

See  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austenitic_stainless_steel  and other entries for martensitic, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf