Author Topic: Is test equipment mostly ODM these days.  (Read 1686 times)

Offline mongoTopic starter

• Contributor
Is test equipment mostly ODM these days.
« on: April 06, 2016, 06:08:59 pm »
After figuring out I was a sucker sticking with the traditional brands as I noted here.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/880/

I wondered if the test equipment market is mostly using ODM model like computer systems these days.

If you are not familiar with original design manufacturer (ODM) it is not the traditional OEM market where people re-label existing white box equipment.  The manufacture like DELL provides requirements to an ODM like Quanta which does all the of the design and manufacturing but the design is typically unique to the brand.  This has been true for almost all laptops, computer and servers for well over a decade now as HP/DELL and the former IBM sold off their manufacturing a long time ago and purely source from a handful of companies in Asia.

The reason I ask is that compared to the past where off-brand gear use to be obviously designed by less experienced individuals the newer gear that I have seen released seems to be consistently designed to a price point.

I have a hunch that while Rohde & Schwarz HMO line has design elements that still point to a brand identity (even if it was an acquired one) that it is highly likely the same designers may have also worked on the products for the rising brands from Asia.  Obviously there is still the value added features that can differentiate products and brands but if the industry is not there today I assume it will be there soon.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
Re: Is test equipment mostly ODM these days.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 06:56:58 pm »
I repaired a HMO a few weeks ago. Very nice build and all the pcb's etc where made in Germany.
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline mongoTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Is test equipment mostly ODM these days.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 10:16:02 pm »
Thanks for the reply PA4TIM, their scopes were in the final cut. I just couldn't find one locally to test out.  It is awesome that there are still jobs spread around the world for EE's in this market at least.  I was able to debug my code problem by down clocking the device and using an old PC board with an EPP port but the obvious reason I wanted my own MSO was to avoid all that fussing around with the logic analyzers timing and state analysis/single shot work flow.  It is very possible that I don't understand but a I always though the key difference between logic analyzers and MSOs is the latter’s ability to trigger on and decode serial buses while staying in a more scope like work flow.

I would be a lot more tolerant if a $2 PIC18F24J50 couldn't keep up with the analog side here, especially with a $500 decoding license and a $700 breakout cable.

Outside of my bad purchase decision I would be interested in any insights others have about the ODM impact on this market.  I know that this isn't broadcasted by the companies that use it but it is becoming a very common business model.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf