Author Topic: Is this red clipping hurting any of my speakers?  (Read 7162 times)

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: Is this red clipping hurting any of my speakers?
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 01:17:25 am »
To answer your question, playing that file won't harm your speakers unless you deliberately play it at such volumes beyond what your speakers are designed for. It'll just sound like crap.

It looks like someone who made that file didn't really know what they were doing. I do a lot of video work and I always aim to have peaks at -10dB. It just gives me that little bit of extra headroom.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 01:19:45 am by Halcyon »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2016, 02:10:08 am »
I don't think 'flatlining' is as innocuous as some people might think.  While it may not look threatening in the time domain, it does have an effect on the resulting waveform in the frequency domain ... and quite a serious one.  Take a pure 1kHz sine wave and raise the amplitude so that it 'flat lines'.  Go far enough and you'll end up with something akin to a square wave.  Harmonics galore.

It is, by very definition - Clipping.

From my experience, speaker damage is most likely from two causes: excessive cone excursion and voice coil overheating.  Excluding fault conditions, if you have a system which is capable of handling 300W RMS and you tend to run it under 30W, then you shouldn't have too much to worry about, IMHO.

But I didn't say you would have nothing to worry about.

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 08:04:02 am »
To answer your question, playing that file won't harm your speakers unless you deliberately play it at such volumes beyond what your speakers are designed for.

As pointed out, this is not true. It could certainly damage the tweeters at regular listening volumes
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2016, 08:18:19 am »
To answer your question, playing that file won't harm your speakers unless you deliberately play it at such volumes beyond what your speakers are designed for.

As pointed out, this is not true. It could certainly damage the tweeters at regular listening volumes

They'd have to be pretty crappy speakers to be honest and someone listening to music way louder than they need to. Based on the waveform he supplied, I doubt he'd have any dramas. However, if the OP would like to supply the file as well, we'd be happy to test it out?

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 07:00:38 pm »
They'd have to be pretty crappy speakers to be honest and someone listening to music way louder than they need to. Based on the waveform he supplied, I doubt he'd have any dramas. However, if the OP would like to supply the file as well, we'd be happy to test it out?

You mean crappy as JBL concert hall speakers?  :-// Because those were the ones I have seen blown quite a lot. And studio monitors as well. We aren't talking a $50 supermarket specials here.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf