Author Topic: Is YouTube's video recommendation algorithm completely borked?  (Read 1618 times)

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
Re: Is YouTube's video recommendation algorithm completely borked?
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2024, 06:32:32 am »
YouTube is OWNED by Google.

Google is an ADVERTISING company. That's A D V E R T I S I N G! They are there to SELL things. They charge the companies who comprise their clients actual MONEY for placing the ADS in front of viewers (or supposed viewers). They claim to RECOMMEND viewers according to their INTERESTS. This is why they have kept every scrap of data on every Google/YouTube user since the time when Google was a single computer in a college dorm room. They claim that their advertising is directed at people with an interest in "your" product. 

So it is in their FINANCIAL interest to report to those paying clients that people are actually interested in and VIEWING the shows and videos that they place the ads in.

And if there aren't enough people interested in a particular product, then what do they do? Do you think, do you just think that they may be tempted to MANUFACTURE those "interested" people?

Naaaah! Google, YouTube wouldn't do that. No, certainly not!

If you believe that I know of some Florida land you may be interested in buying. Or south Louisiana if you prefer. But bring your hip boots.
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2024, 08:44:52 am »
Another huge issue is that the Internet you miss was a niche thing mostly limited to people at least intelligent enough to configure a modem and install a web browser.
Sounds like you are wishing for a shadow professionals only internet.  Basically all the .coms would have an equivalent .pro of their web services, but only people of a certain IQ are allowed access to those versions of the net.
To avoid cheating it needs to be a matter of "possible", not "allowed", and "professional" is merely a title which you can buy, not exactly the same as "competent" ;)
Without another major revolution this situation is not coming back.

YouTube is OWNED by Google.

Google is an ADVERTISING company. That's A D V E R T I S I N G! They are there to SELL things.
YouTube WaS 4lwaYs in Th3 saM3 BusiNeSS siNCe THEIR foundaTIOn aNd yEt tHEY arE b ec o m in g w0rSe aNd WORSe.

BTW, anyone knows if they only became profitable in the last few years? I sort of doubt it, that would be a very long run at a loss...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 08:49:16 am by magic »

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2024, 01:51:52 pm »
I think that's just the beginning of this though. Ultimately, the online services you use will tell you what you want and what you like, and you won't question it anymore. Resistance is futile.

Today I woke up early in the morning, opened my laptop, made a good coffee and... they told me I do like a Chair by NobleChairs.
About two years ago I bought an IKEA standing-desk, still to be assembled, I don't know how, but two advs to Youtube videos cannot be wrong:
they somehow know you have a desk, but not the chair, so YOU LIKE IT, you need it!
and so, I bought it  :-//
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 02:34:46 pm by DiTBho »
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf