Author Topic: Isolating Batteries in Battery Compartment  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Isolating Batteries in Battery Compartment
« on: November 30, 2021, 03:30:22 pm »
Hello,

I remember when I ordered kitchen timer once it had a piece of transparent plastic that looked like one that blister packs are made of, however that one was thinner and flexible. I could power on kitchen timer only after removing that piece of plastic. I realized it was there to isolate batteries and prevent leakage and possibly prevent batteries from going bad.

I habe emergency light which holds 4 AA batteries but since I will use it only occasionally I want to find a piece of plastic and do the same think that kitchen timer had. Should I put one piece of plastic at the bottom of battery compartment and another piece in the middle to isolate each pair? Shpuld I add 3rd piece of plastic on top to isolate batteries from cover?

Would this work and does make sense?

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Isolating Batteries in Battery Compartment
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 03:43:19 pm »
It seems that timer places in parallel 2 series of 2 AA each.
In that case you'd probably need only to isolate the cover to break the circuit.

But before doing that you could try to measure whether the timer uses any 'idle' current: place all batteries and instead of putting the cover, set your multimeter for current measurement and touch with one probe to the back of one of the batteries and with the other one that little metallic tip that is visible in picture, and see whether there is any sensible current when the device is 'off'.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 09:34:05 am »
It seems that timer places in parallel 2 series of 2 AA each.
In that case you'd probably need only to isolate the cover to break the circuit.

But before doing that you could try to measure whether the timer uses any 'idle' current: place all batteries and instead of putting the cover, set your multimeter for current measurement and touch with one probe to the back of one of the batteries and with the other one that little metallic tip that is visible in picture, and see whether there is any sensible current when the device is 'off'.
The item in question is the flashlight, not the timer. The timer is simply where he became aware of battery shipping insulators.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 09:36:08 am »
Hello,

I remember when I ordered kitchen timer once it had a piece of transparent plastic that looked like one that blister packs are made of, however that one was thinner and flexible. I could power on kitchen timer only after removing that piece of plastic. I realized it was there to isolate batteries and prevent leakage and possibly prevent batteries from going bad.

I habe emergency light which holds 4 AA batteries but since I will use it only occasionally I want to find a piece of plastic and do the same think that kitchen timer had. Should I put one piece of plastic at the bottom of battery compartment and another piece in the middle to isolate each pair? Shpuld I add 3rd piece of plastic on top to isolate batteries from cover?

Would this work and does make sense?
Flashlights typically use real switches that fully disconnect the batteries from the load. In such a situation, adding plastic insulation doesn’t do anything.

The battery shipping insulators are used in devices that are always on (or in standby) and thus would slowly drain the batteries. Digital timers fall into this category, flashlights do not.

Offline GLouie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 05:09:14 pm »
I suggest simply removing the batteries from the flashlight and keeping them in a leakproof plastic bag near the seldom-used light. The risk from leaking alkaline batteries shown is very high. I prefer to keep a supply of rechargeable NiMH cells for AA devices.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 02:19:02 pm »

It's a flashlight. I get a reading of 00.2 using 200ų range.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 11:30:35 am »
I remember when I ordered kitchen timer once it had a
The battery shipping insulators are used in devices that are always on (or in standby) and thus would slowly drain the batteries. Digital timers fall into this category, flashlights do not.

I bought laser-guided scissors and they had insulator despite their on/off switch was off. Not sure why would they need insulator, unless somehow someone accidentally pressed blister packaging and turned on the switch...

I bought wireless mouse that had insulator as well. Strangely the switch was on so that's probably why they used insulator. But why use it if you can have switch on off? Even in blister packaging there is no way to accidentally move power switch.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 01:47:38 pm »
I bought laser-guided scissors and they had insulator despite their on/off switch was off. Not sure why would they need insulator, unless somehow someone accidentally pressed blister packaging and turned on the switch...
And there’s your answer.

It’s also possible that the same item is marketed in various types of packaging (blister, box, bulk, etc), and that it’s cheaper to just put the insulator on all of them.

The following users thanked this post: Boris_yo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 08:18:15 am »
I suggest simply removing the batteries from the flashlight and keeping them in a leakproof plastic bag near the seldom-used light. The risk from leaking alkaline batteries shown is very high. I prefer to keep a supply of rechargeable NiMH cells for AA devices.

I have bought Kodak AA lithium batteries but learned from package that they were made in China. What is the risk of them leaking if I leave them in emergency flashlight?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf