Author Topic: It's silicon, not silicone!  (Read 8207 times)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: It's silicon, not silicone!
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2019, 03:15:45 pm »
I've seen it all now... how long before they apply that idea to male anatomy I wonder.

Fortunately, my wife and I are quite happy with each other's... attributes  ;)

Mrs GreyWoolfe's attributes are more than sufficient.  The stem cell bra would be like gilding the lily.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2019, 03:18:45 pm »
Mrs GreyWoolfe's attributes are more than sufficient.  The stem cell bra would be like gilding the lily.
What's with people suddenly ensuring us their or their partner's "attributes" are sufficient? We're really not interested. If you insist on telling us the things we don't want to know we're an evidence driven bunch and will require photographic evidence to have a proper and factual discussion about it.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2019, 03:31:44 pm »
What's with people suddenly ensuring us their or their partner's "attributes" are sufficient? We're really not interested. If you insist on telling us the things we don't want to know we're an evidence driven bunch and will require photographic evidence to have a proper and factual discussion about it.

Her first husband pulled sh!t like that on her.  If I tried it, she would gut me like a stuck pig. :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2019, 03:41:00 pm »
Her first husband pulled sh!t like that on her.  If I tried it, she would gut me like a stuck pig. :-DD
Exactly. It's best to keep out private lives to ourselves.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2019, 07:00:51 pm »
Exactly. It's best to keep out private lives to ourselves.
I disagree.  Share as much as yourself as you wish, but not of anyone else, including your partner; and do not expect anyone to care.  Oversharing is embareassing, but oh so liberating.

My personal pronouns are phlfblblbl and <snort>.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2019, 07:24:47 pm »
Gadgets that claim to promote the growth of muscle without exercise have existed for many years, no idea if they're actually effective. (And strictly speaking, growing muscle isn't just for guys.)
My Aunt had a thing in the 60's that had a 90 VAC transformer, on/off timer that cycled every few seconds and a bunch of pots that allowed you to deliver electrical current to conductive pads.  I told her the thing was a DEATH TRAP!  Rig the pads wrong and you'd get 90 V 60 Hz power across your heart.  It was called a relax-a-cizer or thereabouts.
I can't imagine that sticking your fingers in a light socket 2 seconds on/2 seconds off would be really "relaxing".

Jon

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2019, 07:25:30 pm »
Yep, this is cognate to the German root Kiesel, an archaic word for silicon. (It lives on in words like Kieselgur 'diatomaceous earth'.) Kiesel itself is related to the modern German word Kies 'gravel'.

We still have the word "Kiesel" in modern German as well; it denotes a single, small, rounded stone. "Kieselstein" is used synonymously. "Kiesel" on its own might be more prevalent in Northern Germany?
Thanks! Though I’m fluent in German, geology is definitely not one of my areas of expertise, and definitely not one where I have a strong Fingerspitzengefühl! :p

Maybe the German Wikipedia page for Kiesel needs to be changed to make it more obvious that Kiesel is still used as a synonym for Kieselsteine.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2019, 07:30:42 pm »
I disagree.  Share as much as yourself as you wish, but not of anyone else, including your partner; and do not expect anyone to care.  Oversharing is embareassing, but oh so liberating.

I have to disagree. I don't think sharing information about you and your partner's private bits is very suitable for an electronics forum, especially when nobody's asking. Or maybe I'll test how tolerant we really are by posting some highly detailed photos.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:34:11 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2019, 07:57:48 pm »

I have to disagree. I don't think sharing information about you and your partner's private bits
Hey!  I said, but not of anyone else.

Feel free to post pictures of your own private bits, but don't expect anyone to care; most likely, a moderator will just delete it.  In any case, it is just your own embareassing, and so completely up to you.  You might be considered stupid, troll, exhibitionist pervert, or a garden-variety idiot; but not evil or harming anyone else.  :P

Posting pictures of anyone else, or describing their private parts, is not okay at all.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:00:11 pm by Nominal Animal »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2019, 07:59:40 pm »
Hey!  I said, but not of anyone else.

Feel free to post pictures of your own private bits, but don't expect anyone to care; most likely, a moderator will just delete it.  In any case, it is just your own embareassing, and so completely up to you.  You might be considered stupid, troll, or an idiot, but not evil.

Posting pictures of anyone else, or describing their private parts, is not okay at all.
Talking about your or your partner's privates is as welcome as me posting highly detailed pictures of myself.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2019, 08:09:55 pm »
Talking about your or your partner's privates is as welcome as me posting highly detailed pictures of myself.
That's your opinion.  I just stated mine.  I replied to you, because you either misread me, or insinuated I meant something other than what I wrote.

Sure, I could be wrong, but even as someone that might be prone to oversharing (when relevant!), I draw a hard line at sharing stuff about anyone else.
That is never right.

Your response to my opinion eradicated that line, and obliterated the difference between what is proper/acceptable socially, and what is proper/acceptable ethically; thus completely missing what I was trying to express.
I am saying that sharing stuff about yourself is ethically okay, but sharing stuff about your partner is not okay.  Ever, never without their explicit permission.

Obviously, sharing pictures of ones privates is not proper socially on a technical forum; but some forms of oversharing, say describing ones professional history just to explain the basis of ones opinion, is acceptable even on a technical forum.  Unnecessary, slightly embarrassing, but technically acceptable.  That's the kind of oversharing I was recommending.

Finally, embareassing is just a pun I'm internally giggling at, because me fail English, and I cannot remember exactly how to write "embarrassing".  As a Finnish speaker, doubled consonants ought to sound double-length, so getting the number of r's and s's right is kinda hard.  In my opinion, baring ones ass is humiliating.  I've never been a fan of "mooning" or "twerking"; they just make me cringe.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:11:50 pm by Nominal Animal »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2019, 08:10:59 pm »
We still have the word "Kiesel" in modern German as well; it denotes a single, small, rounded stone. "Kieselstein" is used synonymously. "Kiesel" on its own might be more prevalent in Northern Germany?
Thanks! Though I’m fluent in German, geology is definitely not one of my areas of expertise, and definitely not one where I have a strong Fingerspitzengefühl! :p
 Maybe the German Wikipedia page for Kiesel needs to be changed to make it more obvious that Kiesel is still used as a synonym for Kieselsteine.

The following pertinent poem comes to mind: ;)
https://www.deutschelyrik.de/das-aesthetische-wiesel-1899.html 

OK, not very modern German, it's more than 100 years old now. If you have not come across them yet, Morgenstern's "Galgenlieder" (a small volume which includes that poem) are certainly worth reading, if you enjoy language and slightly offbeat and silly stuff!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2019, 11:16:35 pm »
My Aunt had a thing in the 60's that had a 90 VAC transformer, on/off timer that cycled every few seconds and a bunch of pots that allowed you to deliver electrical current to conductive pads.  I told her the thing was a DEATH TRAP!  Rig the pads wrong and you'd get 90 V 60 Hz power across your heart.  It was called a relax-a-cizer or thereabouts.
I can't imagine that sticking your fingers in a light socket 2 seconds on/2 seconds off would be really "relaxing".
Sounds like a gadget to simulate what a telecom tech would feel in the old days if he touched a phone line that happened to be ringing. (I wouldn't be surprised if the transformer and timer were in fact designed for an old office phone system.)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2019, 12:01:11 pm »

The following pertinent poem comes to mind: ;)
https://www.deutschelyrik.de/das-aesthetische-wiesel-1899.html 

OK, not very modern German, it's more than 100 years old now. If you have not come across them yet, Morgenstern's "Galgenlieder" (a small volume which includes that poem) are certainly worth reading, if you enjoy language and slightly offbeat and silly stuff!
Nice! Outside of Germany, it's available on http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33541

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2019, 01:41:45 pm »
This is a Dan Quayle "potatoe" moment:

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2019, 07:27:02 pm »
Sounds like a gadget to simulate what a telecom tech would feel in the old days if he touched a phone line that happened to be ringing. (I wouldn't be surprised if the transformer and timer were in fact designed for an old office phone system.)
Nope, it was all new stuff, supposed to allow you to get rid of flabby arms and thighs without work.  But, of course, if you actually turned it up to where it was producing measurable results, it would probably be SERIOUSLY painful.  It had several sets, at least 4, of pads so you could do both arms and legs at one time.  That was all on one transformer secondary, so it would be possible to wire the pads so it was delivering a jolt across the chest!  That's what made my hair stand up straight - without touching the damn thing!

I'm guessing it would have cost a couple thousand $ at today's prices.

Jon

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2019, 09:33:05 pm »
It was called a relax-a-cizer or thereabouts.
Relax-A-Cizor.  FDA banned it in 1970 as potentially unhealthy and dangerous to users.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2019, 09:43:48 pm »
if you actually turned it up to where it was producing measurable results, it would probably be SERIOUSLY painful.

Actual electrical muscle stimulation units do exist and work just fine.  While the muscle contraction itself can be painful (depending on why you're using EMS in the first place), you don't feel any electrical zaps per se. (Well, I didn't, when trying one a couple of decades ago, just out of interest.)  The proper units are about the size of a thick hardcover book.  The units I've seen work on batteries (maybe chargeables nowadays?): not much energy is involved, as proper stimulation is all about the waveform.  The proper waveforms depend on the muscle type being stimulated, too.

While there have been "working" devices (the electrode pads causing rhythmic contractions of the muscles underneath) for decades, the proper ones with clinically verified results are surprisingly complex (and use complicated waveform "programs").

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2019, 12:00:36 am »
Actual electrical muscle stimulation units do exist and work just fine.  While the muscle contraction itself can be painful (depending on why you're using EMS in the first place), you don't feel any electrical zaps per se. (Well, I didn't, when trying one a couple of decades ago, just out of interest.)  The proper units are about the size of a thick hardcover book.  The units I've seen work on batteries (maybe chargeables nowadays?): not much energy is involved, as proper stimulation is all about the waveform.  The proper waveforms depend on the muscle type being stimulated, too.

While there have been "working" devices (the electrode pads causing rhythmic contractions of the muscles underneath) for decades, the proper ones with clinically verified results are surprisingly complex (and use complicated waveform "programs").
What kind of bandwidth does it involve? I would expect something similar to a portable audio player.

I remember reading that one mechanism behind how exercise works to improve fitness is that bone is slightly piezoelectric and generates a small current.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2019, 01:25:42 am »
What kind of bandwidth does it involve? I would expect something similar to a portable audio player.
It looks like the practical range is between DC and a few kilohertz, with the envelope shape being at least as important as the carrier frequency.  I don't know the details (biophysics is not my field), but a multichannel audio player sounds about right to me, with a funky output stage.  Or maybe an old-style synthesizer, with a programmable oscillator and ADSR envelope control.

This PDF and this blog post might be useful to get a rough idea on what kind of waveforms we're talking about.  It seems to me that the exact shapes of the waveforms are the kind of stuff companies selling these devices keep as proprietary as possible, especially when both muscle fiber types are targeted.

I suspect this is one of the fields that is so close to quackery, researchers don't want to leap too far out of fear of being labeled, and keep to the safe side of aspects to study.
Like us physicists, when it comes to any kind of esoteric phenomena.  Make one oddball suggestion for a research subject, and you get labeled and laughed at, regardless of whether that suggestion makes sense or not.  At the same time, solar fricking roadways get funded left and right, and almost nobody blinks an eye.  Funny world, ours.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2019, 09:39:40 pm »
Silicon vs Silicone. Big difference.
https://youtu.be/jM2_LBvzg6c?t=49
Explained in 3 seconds.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2019, 11:51:03 am »
WOW !!....  Putting aside boobs, wobbly dicks, and Politically Correct prudes......

I've stated somewhere before, that 'English' is generally not a unique Language, Per-Se'.
It is a mixture of 'bastardizations', 'misinterpretations', and 'pseudo-translations', from mainly
Latin, Greek, French, German & many other core languages, especially when it comes to such
technical/chemical/scientific words that 'appear' to be our language.
I was going to type 50 or so examples, but decided it would be futile.  :)
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2019, 08:48:00 pm »
WOW !!....  Putting aside boobs, wobbly dicks, and Politically Correct prudes......

I've stated somewhere before, that 'English' is generally not a unique Language, Per-Se'.
It is a mixture of 'bastardizations', 'misinterpretations', and 'pseudo-translations', from mainly
Latin, Greek, French, German & many other core languages, especially when it comes to such
technical/chemical/scientific words that 'appear' to be our language.
I was going to type 50 or so examples, but decided it would be futile.  :)
<linguist>
That is, of course, largely nonsense, insofar as every language borrows from other languages (save perhaps for isolated languages on islands with no outside contact).

English is somewhat special in that such a huge part of its vocabulary comes from a single source: French (via the Norman conquest). But in many cases, perhaps most, we didn't lose our original words, but rather relegated the "native" words and the French imports to different meanings. (Hence why "kitchen" and "cuisine" aren't synonyms in English. Contrast this with French and German, which each have one word each (cuisine and Küche, resp.), which encompasses both meanings.)

But to be clear, the language processes at work here are absolutely universal. You will find them at work in every language.

For example, it's common for borrowed words to take on a restricted meaning, even if the word was general in the source language: "Cuisine" for "the food of a culture/people/place". "Sombrero" to mean a Mexican straw hat. "Kielbasa" for Polish sausage. (The key being that in their source languages, these words simply mean "kitchen", "hat", and "sausage", with no further specificity.)

Some examples of English words borrowed into German: "Port" to mean computer ports (exclusively). "Sound" as slang for music. "Manager" to mean C-level executive (expressly not encompassing what in English we'd call middle and lower management).
</linguist>

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2019, 04:17:29 am »
For example, it's common for borrowed words to take on a restricted meaning, even if the word was general in the source language: "Cuisine" for "the food of a culture/people/place". "Sombrero" to mean a Mexican straw hat. "Kielbasa" for Polish sausage. (The key being that in their source languages, these words simply mean "kitchen", "hat", and "sausage", with no further specificity.)
I wonder if this one is just a coincidence, or if Finns are very particular about their bread.  :P

Offline Gromitt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2019, 11:41:19 am »

That is, of course, largely nonsense, insofar as every language borrows from other languages (save perhaps for isolated languages on islands with no outside contact).

Icelandic has no borrowed words, so not every language. And you can't say that Iceland has no outside contact.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf