Author Topic: Jaycar after Dick Smith retail spaces.  (Read 5807 times)

Offline aargeeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Jaycar after Dick Smith retail spaces.
« on: January 19, 2016, 10:58:18 am »

I guess it makes sense but it's starting to look like Jaycar wants to follow the same *sort of* path.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/01/17/jaycar-dick-smith_n_9005390.html

Having said that, I like the line "The great bulk of our customers are men, who have a deep-seated dislike of shopping centres."   :-DD
Put a couple of comfy chairs in the kit section and start a coffee shop department to go with it... 

Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: Jaycar after Dick Smith retail spaces.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 11:23:00 am »
That would be suicidal.  Ridiculous.  High lease costs are one of the reasons contributing to the downfall of DSE.

Jaycar is not a good fit for shopping malls and high street frontages.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 12:05:17 pm »
I can see the "miserable men" argument, for a retailer of interesting electronics. But not parts.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 12:09:37 pm »
That would be suicidal.  Ridiculous.  High lease costs are one of the reasons contributing to the downfall of DSE.

Jaycar is not a good fit for shopping malls and high street frontages.

"We're already in negotiations with a number of landlords. We're interested in the retail strips and good, free-standing sites, but not the shopping centres," he told the AFR."
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 12:23:12 pm »
"We're already in negotiations with a number of landlords. We're interested in the retail strips and good, free-standing sites, but not the shopping centres," he told the AFR."

I didn't actually notice there was an article, just saw the ad.

Even so, at least around here DSE stores in cities tend to be in malls or very high rent locations.  The smaller towns do often have a DSE in it's "high-street" (main road through town) shops, but I doubt that'd be too interesting for Jaycar.

I think this really smells more of a "we're still here" marketing exercise to me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:25:04 pm by sleemanj »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 09:23:13 pm »
DSE sounds a lot like RadioShack. They were doing fine when they were mostly local neighborhood shops and never found in anything fancier than a strip mall. Their downfall began when they decided to move into the bigger, expensive malls and cater to the cell phone market.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 11:56:30 pm »
"The great bulk of our customers are men, who have a deep-seated dislike of shopping centres."
:-DD Hey! I resemble that remark!
I loathe large shopping centers. They are all deliberately designed to get you lost and force you to trudge past endless rows of shoe and ladies clothing stores. My ideal electronics shopping experience is to drive to an electronics store, park right in front of the store, walk in, buy what I want, and go home again. Maybe with a bit of display racks browsing in-store. Or, order online and then wait for the post. Even a few weeks wait is better than entering a large mall.

Last week I visited the Menai Dick Smith store. As expected, nothing there of interest, not even if they had a 50% markdown sale. Nearly one third of the floor space was dedicated to cell phone covers. The staff guy I spoke with thinks there's some chance of finding a buyer for the company. Otherwise they are all out of a job in a month. Depressing - for them.

For me, I'll be glad to see the last of the Dick Smith zombie staggering around aimlessly. I still remember it being a useful place to buy parts. So long ago.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 01:38:28 am »
There are still a few "stand alone" Dick Smiths around Perth,but the "Mall" ones are in the majority.

In a clever move,Altronics started a shop right next to the Cannington "stand alone" DSE,so people could go to the traditional  spot to get their parts.

The latest news is that the "Master's" Hardware chain is "going down the gurgler",too!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 01:48:45 am »
Masters has been going down the gurgler for months.  They've only just announced the inevitable.  Speculation wasn't the word - expectation was.

As for DSE - I can still remember going to the original shop at Gore Hill.  It was a cave of awe for a young hobbyist.

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 02:55:27 am »
I loathe large shopping centers. They are all deliberately designed to get you lost and force you to trudge past endless rows of shoe and ladies clothing stores.

I like them, but mostly I just use them as an indoor place to walk around a bit.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 05:08:42 am »
I loathe large shopping centers. They are all deliberately designed to get you lost and force you to trudge past endless rows of shoe and ladies clothing stores.

I like them, but mostly I just use them as an indoor place to walk around a bit.

Why would you want to walk around indoors, in a crowd of strangers, as opposed to bush/wilderness by yourself or with a few good friends? http://everist.org/NobLog/20130704_day_at_miara.htm
Do you live in a place with very hostile weather?
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 05:13:11 am »

Why would you want to walk around indoors, in a crowd of strangers, as opposed to bush/wilderness by yourself or with a few good friends? http://everist.org/NobLog/20130704_day_at_miara.htm
Do you live in a place with very hostile weather?

Depends on your definition of hostile, but it does get cold during the winter.  It's been zero, Fahrenheit, lately.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 05:17:13 am »
Here, zero Celcius is rare, even mid winter and while that may not be 'hostile', I don't find it particularly 'friendly'.

0ºF ?

Pass.

Offline sony mavica

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 09:08:48 am »
there is a Jaycar near where i live hardly anybody goes there im surprised the shop has not closed down
MORE POWER!

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 12:10:56 am »
The two jaycars I'm aware of in Auckland are in totally shit locations. You can see them from the road, but good luck getting there to park. OK, the Newmarket one isn't that bad really, and not too far from town. The one on the shore is a complete menace to get into. Right on a high traffic corner which is great for brand awareness, but the traffic makes it a pain to get in and out of. I avoid going there.

It seems clear to me that these places were selected solely on their rent:profile ratio with no consideration given to their practicality in any way. What's the point of a big sign if no-one goes there anyway?

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 12:36:43 am »
The two jaycars I'm aware of in Auckland are in totally shit locations. You can see them from the road, but good luck getting there to park. OK, the Newmarket one isn't that bad really, and not too far from town. The one on the shore is a complete menace to get into. Right on a high traffic corner which is great for brand awareness, but the traffic makes it a pain to get in and out of. I avoid going there.

It seems clear to me that these places were selected solely on their rent:profile ratio with no consideration given to their practicality in any way. What's the point of a big sign if no-one goes there anyway?

The one in wellington is pretty tricky to get to, but at least they have some off street parking. the one in Lower Hutt is not too bad to get to, but neither are 'anywhere' and you need ot make a special trip to see them.  And i try to avoid them if i can, because they are overpriced, full of drones, and staff who smell bad.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 02:30:39 am »
I guess there is not much online shopping going on then. I order almost everything online because shops never seem to have what I want to buy.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline David Spicer

• Contributor
  • Multi functional carbon based lifeform
    • aec
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 11:45:45 pm »
This is a kinda pointless fanzine comment but....

I think Jaycar are pretty good. The bloke who runs it was Dick's partner and his seed capital came from the first buyout. (Woolies?) He knew that competing with Harvey Norman, Good Guys, JB etc was pointless, and he knew that the hobby market was a good niche thing. I gather he is super wealthy (porsche collector etc) and an IPO can be expected soon. Good luck to him.

I can only speak for my local shop in Dee Why, but I have had nothing but good experiences there. Never any parking worries, helpful knowledgeable staff (the dummies are soon weeded out) sells a good range of stuff from kiddy kits to home security etc. Saturday/Sunday morning is not a good time to go but usually there are a few happy campers (like me) in the shop. No serious delays.

They say that Dick started because he was amazed that electronics shops could be so rude, arrogant and useless. He figured that a decent shop couldn't help but survive. Those of my generation (boomer) may remember a shop in Broadway we had to go to for parts in the seventies. Radio Spares or something like that. Great range of components. But you had to take a packed lunch and a sleeping bag to get anything. Of course back then the comics like Electronics Australia used to publish nifty little DIY projects. Not just made in Chine Raspberries, Arduinos etc.

Ahh! the good ol' days, but I say five strs to Jaycar for keeping up the spirit.

Sorry, a fairly pointless post, but there is so much to complain about for us all it's nice to say something good now and again.
Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 12:07:59 am »

I've used 4 branches in AK, just depending on which one I'm passing. At one time the only choice was the Newmarket branch.
The New Lynn branch has good access and generally enough parking and the Manukau branch seemed a "bit out of the way" in an light industrial area and was next to their wholesale distribution company Electus that has now relocated to Mt Wellington.
http://www.electusdistribution.co.nz/index.asp
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf