Author Topic: Just earned 14$ for replacing 2 caps !  (Read 6102 times)

Offline eevblogfanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Just earned 14$ for replacing 2 caps !
« on: April 15, 2013, 12:51:22 pm »
hey

I met a guy who works in local electricity shop ( light bulbd DVD's etc ) but he also give "lab" service ,

so I've asked him for equipment he may want to sell or some old stuff , he said he have got old TV signal generator but I have no need for that  :-//

any how I decided to offer him my "service" for repairing stuff he cant repair or dont have the time to , so as for first task he gave me LCD display ( 19" ) , it was dead easy ! just the 90% senorior , simply bad quality caps leaking , so I've replaced them and the display come back to live !  %-B

I gave it back within 10 minutes ( since I took it to my lab ) and he asked for price , me and my father told him 0 cash since he's a friend ( the LCD was he's )  so then after coming home . my father gave me 14$ for that repair , and the local man told me that when he'll receive stuff he will give them to me and will pay for them , so basically I have got a new job !  :-+

P.S I just wanted to shear that story with the community :P   

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
Re: Just earned 14$ for replacing 2 caps !
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 12:58:04 pm »
Cool job, love your enthusiasm  :-+

Best regards,
Dan

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:11:46 pm »
I'm the family's repair shop :-) No profit but nice customers :-)

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 01:19:39 pm »
Cool deal. That is how you get started and later may end up in a good way. Just don’t take in more than you can handle. I seem to get that problem. Can bite you in the end.
I do have my bench fees posted so the folks can see them. But I constantly charge folks less. Last week I repaired an item and the guy left me a 75 dollar tip.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 01:29:24 pm »
hey

woha Cool , 75$ is A-lot !

I am not charging to much , perhaps the parts cost plus nice pay . say 10$ for somthing up to 30 minutes of work . and 20$ for more then Hr , but it depends , if it's TV I'll charge 50$ or so , but that's because "labs" ( bustards ) took 100$ and more just for those silly leaking caps or even stupid connector been left not fully connected ! ( I've seen that -_- ) . so yup . I am in the ned of 200$ per month . so I guess any guy can pay me that payment , it's under the minimum ( the minimum is about 1K$ )  so I have no problem with that . say 3 LCD's a week , and some other stuff to repair like TV's and so on . 200$ a month is nothing . 

Cheers ! :)

Offline sorin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 04:23:28 pm »
How old are you?

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 04:38:38 pm »
And where are you from?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 05:06:22 pm »
hey

I am 17 and I am from israel :P

Cheers :)

Offline kxenos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 05:24:51 pm »
I do have my bench fees posted...

Bench fees! That's it!  :) This might scare them away! :) I'm the friends and family helpdesk / repair center for the last 15 years. There HAS to be an end!  :)

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 01:45:22 am »
Isn't it going to only be a  year before you get drafted into the Israel military for the mandatory service?  Sad..
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 06:02:30 am »
yup sad inbeed .. sometimes you get into the milatry at 19  and not 18 ...  but i have nothing to do with that . but I found good thing about it . I can learn Ee via the army . they send smart people to the universyty assuming you pass a test .   so I might learn from universyty for free :)

Cheers :)

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 01:57:05 pm »
Now that is a golden deal :)

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 01:59:07 pm »
indeed !  :-/O

Offline MetraCollector

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 02:39:09 pm »
Your work and knowledge has a value too, it is not about only a material.

You perhaps know the story about repairman who kicked the engine with hammer and suddenly worked again and required 600 coins for it.

Mmm, and a question - it is possible to service for Israel army in the civilan way, like EE service ?
In CZSR, 25 and more years ago it was possible to choose - 2years in army, or 10years in coal mine site, however, miners had highest sallaries of the working class so it was not bad.

In army, it was possible to serve in radio and telemetry section, then it was quite easy for your body and it was less strict, radiocommunication knowledge was very valued because of spy and monitor service.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:55:02 pm by MetraCollector »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 02:45:50 pm »
my knowldge is quit big , I do have hell lot to learn . but still . for my age I think there are few things I can learn even seasoned ee's / things who relate to thinking and experience I've had

Online SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 05:34:00 pm »
It will be not bad to take advantage of any training the IDF gives you, as it is good. It should be possible to study further, but then you will have to do longer service in return, generally one for one, but the plus is the experience is very good, and you do not end up as a boom jockey too much. The good thing is that you get trained how to use a gun, and how not to use it as well.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 06:02:00 pm »
my knowldge is quit big , I do have hell lot to learn.

And as you get older you will upgrade that to "my knowledge is depressingly small, daaaamn still a hell of a lot to learn". ;)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 06:54:24 pm »
hey

the wepon training is not too much for me I shot befor , with home built air gun at 60 BAR but anyways . I am more interesed in the EE stuff they'll learn me :P

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 07:14:46 pm »
And you don't have to buy the bullets!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 07:16:29 pm »
LOL :palm:

it's only louzy 5.56 bullets . lame ! I prefer the 50 cal ones !

Online SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 07:28:45 pm »
You will not like them after doing a little 30km hike with them.............. In the heat, at double time, with the LMG as well. Don't worry, your instructors will not kill you, they get fined for doing that. Half killing you however is allowed. I know quite a few of them were trained in my country as well, and you will not like them at all. To be an officer and an instructor is a bloody hard course, and during training we had a very close look at exactly how hard it was, along with a simple addon that if anybody was going to comment they would join them there. 3 hours of gentle drilling (DB style) and we had to carry our instructors to their rooms and undress them, shower them and put them in bed, they could no longer do that. Left a lasting impression on them and us.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 07:58:02 pm »
The wight is like 5 kg for the 5.56 ones and like 13~16  kg for the 50 cal ... i am not stupide ... i know it's Alot ...

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 07:27:33 pm »
Have fun!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf